Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is the "Beats By Dre" of it's industry?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Barrys tea.

What do you think are the most over priced or/and over rated brand of an industry you're intersted in?

Jewellery Industry = Diamonds

Heated, squashed bits of carbon, mined in generally terrible circumstances ... which most people wouldn't give a fook about if they hadn't been told to by a clever marketing campaign.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 267 ✭✭Train Dragon

Heated, squashed bits of carbon, mined in generally terrible circumstances ... which most people wouldn't give a fook about if they hadn't been told to by a clever marketing campaign.

Very true.

De Beers achieved the greatest marketing campaign of all time https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/diamond-de-beers-marketing-campaign

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Dyson - over-priced over-designed

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

Especially when you consider that industrial diamonds are identical but aren't allowed to be used for jewellery. Its criminal in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Pure water is, but anything you buy in a bottle isnt pure water. It has natural minerals in the water that create taste. Some is better than others.
    Absolutely pure water is actually dangerous to drink. It's a very rare rare and hard to keep though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Moissanite is cheaper and sparkles more brilliantly than diamond, but it just doesn't have the same publicity

goose2005 wrote: »
    Moissanite is cheaper and sparkles more brilliantly than diamond, but it just doesn't have the same publicity

It looks great, although i cant see any Irish girl looking for one over a diamond http://diamondvsmoissanite.com/wp-content/uploads/diamond-vs-moissanite.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

ScumLord wrote: »
    Absolutely pure water is actually dangerous to drink. It's a very rare rare and hard to keep though.

Why is it dangerous to drink pure water ?

That's a new one on me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Why is it dangerous to drink pure water ?

That's a new one on me.

http://www.isciencemag.co.uk/features/fact-of-the-day-1/

I think it's basically too reactive, it wants to start sucking minerals and other such stuff from your body, I think it can actually suck water from your cells or the reverse over saturate cells.

Pure water tends to only exist in a lab. Nearly all water is a solution of many things and not just H2O.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

High end trainers. Like fair enough if you plan to actually play sport or train for a run and you need the foot support but when you only use them to accessorize a skanky tracksuit what's the point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Nespresso

Jet Black wrote: »
    Nespresso

Ive never tried it but that's twice it's appeared in this thread now. The queues to buy the pods for them are always insane though.

Does it taste like crap?

Dyson.

Invent a problem, "the standard vacuum cleaners reduce suction over time", convince people this is a real issue, have Mr. Dyson giving some nice blurb about cyclone technology in his soothing voice, oh and make em them colourful. Sell by the gazillion, despite the ridiculous price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

No I think it tastes good, it's a consistent cup of coffee. Problem is the price. You can get a bag of beans for a fraction of the price of the nespresso pods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

The new Canon 5D is 4 grand. A bit much for a camera.

Any BMW. The most overrated cars ever.

Hugo Boss.

Sleepy wrote: »
    Tommy Hilfiger

Have to strongly disagree there. They make great and durable clothes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Trump branded anything.

Parachutes wrote: »
    Trump branded anything.

Im almost afraid to ask but apart from his hotels what is there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Dyson.

Invent a problem, "the standard vacuum cleaners reduce suction over time", convince people this is a real issue, have Mr. Dyson giving some nice blurb about cyclone technology in his soothing voice, oh and make em them colourful. Sell by the gazillion, despite the ridiculous price.

What Hoover is better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Im almost afraid to ask but apart from his hotels what is there?
    Anything you can think of, Trump has repackaged it and slapped his name onto it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

A lot of clothes brands, made in the same sweatshops as stuff you'd buy in Pennys but with a small logo on it, paying 10 times the price as unbranded one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 163 ✭✭hannible the cannible

mdwexford wrote: »
    What Hoover is better?

Henry

Henry

It's not better.

Maybe better value, but not a better product.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 163 ✭✭hannible the cannible

It's not better.

Maybe better value, but not a better product.

It's way better than the Dyson , you're being seduced by marketing

James Dyson is one smooth talking b@stard. Those Ads had me fooled.

I'd gladly trade our vastly overpriced Dyson for a Henry. The only real use has been the "well, you wanted it" reminder to my wife as we bend and pick up the fluff that the Dyson just refuses to budge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

The new Canon 5D is 4 grand. A bit much for a camera.

Any BMW. The most overrated cars ever.

Hugo Boss.

BMW are over priced & over rated, but still can't beat a nicely specced 3 series/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Referring to the OP, apparently Harley Davidson's are notoriously unreliable. They sell because they look badass Americana and are the bike of choice in the 1% Mc scene.

Jap bikes are probably finer machines altogether.

BMW are over priced & over rated, but still can't beat a nicely specced 3 series/

Plus many girls wet their knickers at the sight of one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Dr. Dre.... not a doctor BTW...

Also ... beats are..manufactured in an accountant's office in our own Clonakilty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

Modern ****, a subsidiary of Enfield Designs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyNQuLPTkvM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The Daily Mail.

Arghus wrote: »
    The Daily Mail.

Or any tabloid really.

Arghus wrote: »
    The Daily Mail.

I don't think that's applicable. It hasn't actually denied being a tabloid that caters for every prejudice of the white English lower middle class.

Or any tabloid really.

Nah. Tabloids are generally cheaper than broadsheets if anything. I would say the likes of The Irish Times and even the once excellent (but not longer so) Daily Telegraph are more applicable here (you now have to pay for premium content for the latter, and the premium content isn't as good as the stuff you used to get for free).

The Mail must be the most profitable paper in the world at the moment. Shifting 2 million hard copies per day and getting over 10 million individual daily visits to their website.

The newspaper industry nay have life in it yet.

It's way better than the Dyson , you're being seduced by marketing

It is in my arse.

I use my cordless Dyson, it picks up everything and is much more convenient and powerful than any other hoover I've ever used.

I can't be seduced by marketing when I don't watch advertisements.

The Mail must be the most profitable paper in the world at the moment. Shifting 2 million hard copies per day

It sells 2 million copies in print daily?!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

stimpson wrote: »
    Oh yeah - River Rock. It's Belfast tap water.
    Coca Cola first attempts to sell bottle tap water in the UK were a disaster.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dasani#United_Kingdom
    Early advertisements referred to Dasani as "bottled spunk" or featured the tagline "can't live without spunk"
    On 18 March 2004, UK authorities found a concentration of bromate, a suspected human carcinogen, in the product that could be considered harmful if consumed in large quantities.
    Needless to say they don't use the Dasani brand anymore.

According to motor industry lore, Toyota was puzzled as to why its 2-seater sportscar offering the MR-2 sold so poorly in France. Then someone pointed out what the phonetic spelling of the car sounds like in French.

It sells 2 million copies in print daily?!

Just researched newspaper circulations there now, apparently they set for 2 million printed copies per day. Sales vary but on average they sell between 1.4 and 1.5 million of them. I suppose a good part of the surplus are supplied free to news agencies the world over, tv, radio stations etc.

The Sun out sells them. They set for 2 million and sell 1.8 million on average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

What Hoover is better?
    Hoover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

Well, they were always gemstones so I'm sure some people liked them before the De Beers campaign, like any other gemstone. People are so in love with this factoid that they seem to forget that.

It looks great, although i cant see any Irish girl looking for one over a diamond http://diamondvsmoissanite.com/wp-content/uploads/diamond-vs-moissanite.jpg

Lots of women I know have different gemstones for their engagement rings. :confused:

• Advertisement

Hoover.

Fook that, vacuum cleaner is Hoover and tape player is Walkman etc.

All crisps are not taytos though.

It is in my arse.

I use my cordless Dyson, it picks up everything and is much more convenient and powerful than any other hoover I've ever used.

I can't be seduced by marketing when I don't watch advertisements.

Nobody is immune to advertising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Fiji Water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Referring to the OP, apparently Harley Davidson's are notoriously unreliable. They sell because they look badass Americana and are the bike of choice in the 1% Mc scene.

Jap bikes are probably finer machines altogether.

That reputation goes way back. H-D would have gone out of business if the American govt. hadn't slapped tariffs on imports. The Japanese have taught the US a lot about quality control (go further back and it was the opposite way around), but brand reputations last longer than individual products.

People will be talking about Samsung products going on fire and Apple being overpriced long after it has ceased to be relevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

A beautiful car. If Im getting a taxi I try to get a Merc. Why do you think it's the "Beats By Dre" of cars?

The build quality has been on a sharp downward curve probably since the turn of the century.

Recent styling can be best described as 'brave'.

Definitely living on past glories.

• Advertisement
Advertisement