Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is the "Beats By Dre" of it's industry?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Have to strongly disagree there. They make great and durable clothes.
    You'd be wrong.

They don't make anything, they license someone to put their logo on a product and market it for them while adding a vast markup. It's a clever business model, but exactly like the Beats by Dre, those buying their product are paying far more for adverts in glossy magazines, celebrity endorsements etc. than they are for the product itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Paul Pogba :-)

Diamonds are probably the greatest marketing con ever. If you look up the De Beers marketing campaign from the 1920's - 1940's you will see how brilliant it actually is.... Beats by Dre actually leveraged this approach when they launched by having celeb's and sports stars wear them well before they ever hit the shelves.

I actually own a sports wear brand and there are brands who use our manufacturing factory and charge triple what we charge just because they are established longer and have some high profile athletes who rep them.

In fact, our design and specs are technically better as we have designed them bespoke and with extensive knowledge of the sport, and we have a greater emphasis on the durability / performance with very specific requirements that the dearer apparel doesn't have. We have many customers who attest that our gear is far superior but many people will still buy the others as they are dearer and a status symbol in the sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Hotels, warehouses, ferries etc always seem to use Nilfisk hoovers. So I bought one and can vouch for their premium build quality and excellent suction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Hotels, warehouses, ferries etc always seem to use Nilfisk hoovers. So I bought one and can vouch for their premium build quality and excellent suction.

Miele are the best IMO, I worked for an electrical retailer for 9 years. Nilfisk are also very good but the turn off for most people with Miele is the bags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

The reason cancer is so much more common today is because the additives in the food we eat and the general environment that we live live in. We're breathing in heavy stuff every day.

Cancer is genetic to an extent, it runs in certain families but certain influences or lifestyle choices may activate the gene.

It's more common because we live longer. If you look at any age demographic you'll see that cancer is less common. However we have more old people nowadays because life expectancy is so high. We have more old people. And older people are more likely to get cancer. So we have more cases of cancer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

National Geographic.

Don't get me wrong it is a fantastic magazine.

But anything else with a National Geographic logo is overpriced tat. Microscopes, telescopes and all that science stuff treat them as toys. Lidl offer much better kit at a lower price.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Organic Milk. How many chemicals do we need to make grass grow in this country?

Also, all the gluten free, wheat free **** on the market.

"This product is Gluten free" therefore it must be healthy.

I hate whatever marketer first realized you could do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭kuntboy

We really are no better than those chiefs on Easter Island with their preposterous Stone heads. Blinded by status and posturing into our own destruction. Indeed there is no end to human folly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭dinorebel

kuntboy wrote: »
    We really are no better than those chiefs on Easter Island with their preposterous Stone heads. Blinded by status and posturing into our own destruction. Indeed there is no end to human folly.

Merry Christmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Organic Milk. How many chemicals do we need to make grass grow in this country?

Also, all the gluten free, wheat free **** on the market.

"This product is Gluten free" therefore it must be healthy.

Yeah, so is uranium.

Does the "organic" refer to what the cow is fed or to the cow itself? I mean it a lack of antibiotics etc in the cow rather than in the grass?

I'd like to add stevia. I went out and bought some thinking it'd be a nice alternative to sugar. It tastes vile.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 267 ✭✭Train Dragon

Sleepy wrote: »
    You'd be wrong.

They don't make anything, they license someone to put their logo on a product and market it for them while adding a vast markup. It's a clever business model, but exactly like the Beats by Dre, those buying their product are paying far more for adverts in glossy magazines, celebrity endorsements etc. than they are for the product itself.

You'd be wrong.

I buy Tommy because their stuff, or whomever's they're labelling, is durable and stylish.

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Gillette razors, the blades really.

But if you don't like electric shavers or Wilkonson blades what alternative is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Gillette razors, the blades really.

Fully agree

Gillette: "Our New! Super Improved! Extra-strength model!!!!!!!"

Society: "You added a new blade didn't you?"

Gillette: *hangs head* "Yes"

Society: "Shut up and take my money!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

I have used a Henry regularly. Many moons ago I was a night porter in a hotel and had to do the rounds every night.

No comparison, the Henry would nearly pull up the foundations. You still see them used a lot by cleaning staff. The Dyson we have is just...overpriced and poor. Have also brought it into the office and had the girls tell me to take it away because it annoys them, they just end up picking up half the stuff.

Have you tried cleaning the filter?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

The reason cancer is so much more common today is because the additives in the food we eat and the general environment that we live live in. We're breathing in heavy stuff every day.

Cancer is genetic to an extent, it runs in certain families but certain influences or lifestyle choices may activate the gene.

According to the US Surgeon General 30% of lifetime smokers will contract a fag related illness and succumb to it.

Look up the effects of passive smoking also. It's considered as junk science by certain medical academics.

Big Pharma have an interest in world governments at the moment, that's why half the population are on some sort of meds here in Ireland, whether they be anti depressants etc.

Big Pharma wants Big Tobacco gone for good. More people to ply with vapes, meds, meds and more meds.

Shouldn't you be at Apollo House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

But if you don't like electric shavers or Wilkonson blades what alternative is there?
    BIC :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

jon1981 wrote: »
    HDMI cables... is a 100 euro REALLY any different to a 20 euro ?!

Feast thine eyes on this beauty.

I have used a Henry regularly. Many moons ago I was a night porter in a hotel and had to do the rounds every night.

No comparison, the Henry would nearly pull up the foundations. You still see them used a lot by cleaning staff. The Dyson we have is just...overpriced and poor. Have also brought it into the office and had the girls tell me to take it away because it annoys them, they just end up picking up half the stuff.

There's a reason professional cleaners all over the world use numatic vacuum cleaners (ie Henry and his friends). They suck stuff up like crazy and don't break.

I can still remember the day I bought mine and tried it out. Pretty much anything in the room that wasn't stuck down got sucked up that nozzle. You could feel the furniture being sucked into his gravitational orbit.

Not sure I have every seen a professional cleaner using a Dyson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

You'd be wrong.

I buy Tommy because their stuff, or whomever's they're labelling, is durable and stylish.
    Which you could buy for a tenth of the price without the Hilfiger logo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

DE razors. €40 razor will last until you break it. €40 brush will last 5 years. €15 soap bowl will last 12 months. 40c blades will last a week.

In one year runs about the same as regular shaving price wise, after that you're getting a superior save for pennies a month.

• Advertisement

The Aldi blades are way better than any disposable and only slightly more expensive up front.

I always use Wilkinson. Never bought a Gillette product, since they started that whole "the best a man can get" campaign and hiked their prices in the early 90s. I just found the whole sensitive masculinity shtick a bit overplayed, pics of men hugging babies etc. etc. I preferred Wilkinson Swords approach of keeping it on the QT...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Ooh, look at me, I'm Jeremy Dyson. I'm an inventor.
    I invented vacuum cleaners and hand-dryers, and hair dryers. None of those things would exist without me! I even have an inventing award named after me (because I invented that too).

^^^
    Truly the Thomas Edison of his day.

Mousewar wrote: »
    I invented vacuum cleaners and hand-dryers, and hair dryers. None of those things would exist without me! I even have an inventing award named after me (because I invented that too).

^^^
    Look at all those Chinese students stealing our secrets

Of course the difference is that Dyson did actually invent stuff. Edison was famous for having others do the inventing , some of whom he even paid.

Oddly enough the Edison Effect which he discovered and ignored pretty much laid the foundation for valve based electronics which eventually lead to radio and long distance phone calls.

DE razors. €40 razor will last until you break it. €40 brush will last 5 years. €15 soap bowl will last 12 months. 40c blades will last a week.

In one year runs about the same as regular shaving price wise, after that you're getting a superior save for pennies a month.

What happens when it goes blunt after a month?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

What happens when it goes blunt after a month?

You put a new 40c blade into it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The Aldi blades are way better than any disposable and only slightly more expensive up front.

Even Aldi disposable razors are very good. A complete con those Wilkinson Sword razors. Fancy ads telling men they aren't man enough unless they use overpriced blades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

This came up as I was looking through the threads. Must be some yoke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

^^^
    He's no Miles Dyson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Gold is a better conductor :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

KungPao wrote: »
    He's no Miles Dyson.

Miles Bennett Dyson?

You put a new 40c blade into it

Sorry, misread. Thanks, I'll look into it.

Sleepy wrote: »
    Which you could buy for a tenth of the price without the Hilfiger logo.

You can stick with Pennys and Top Man. I'll stick with Tommy ;)

What do you think are the most over priced or/and over rated brand of an industry you're intersted in? No doubt plenty will say "iPhone" or "Apple anything" here.

Im going to say Harley Davidson motorcycles. Based on the obscene cost, they are incredibly underpowered and have always been quite behind the competition for technological improvements.

This elf on a shelf thing seems to have caught on. Admittedly a seasonal product but very very lucrative all the same

• Advertisement

^^^

I'm glad he's gone from Top Gear too. :pac:

I'm still trying to figure out why vacuum cleaners have been the most debated product in this thread ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

As an aside, here is the whole story of beats by dre and how they screwed the inventors out of a lot of money. Its an interesting read:

http://gizmodo.com/5981823/beat-by-dre-the-inside-story-of-how-monster-lost-the-world

love it...nothing like seeing scam artists getting screwed over...makes me all warm and cuddly inside.

I'm still trying to figure out why vacuum cleaners have been the most debated product in this thread ;)

Yeah... It sucks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Seeing American Apparel closing nearly all of their stores in the UK reminded me of this thread. It's basically just featureless plain clothing that could be bought in Penney's for a half of the price. I have no idea how they got big

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,962 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

jca wrote: »
    Sister had a 350 euro Dyson anti allergy suck this suck that blah blah blah, 2 weeks out of warranty it stopped dead, repair man in Joyce's said the motor was kaput he couldn't get a replacement, well, at least that's what he was told by Dyson. I have an old fashioned Henry, it takes bags which are deemed as uncool nowadays, but guess what? It's still working and parts, should I ever need any, are readily available, it cost 150 yo Yo's, makes sense to me.

Dyson's are like Lego, easy to take apart and replace any individual bit as needed, they have spare parts for all their products going back years. Even 2 weeks out of warranty, your product still has to be supported by the seller under European law (usually up to 5 years, but varies by product and expected lifetime), if you want an example of consumer brainwashing, the "1 year warranty" is the best, stops people fixing lots of items, or costing the manufacturer extra support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,569 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

:eek:

The world has gone completely fcuking mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Grey Goose Vodka.

The company that marketed it decided there was a gap in the market for expensive vodka. So just tripled the prices of a normal vodka. And because people pay more for it, they insist it's "smoother" and better quality.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It's actually good vodka, if way overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

learn_more wrote: »
    I'm a bit disappointed CESSNA private jet, I though it would have a bit more oomph.

They're okay but a bit cramped - you get what you pay for I guess. Personally I always go for Gulfstream myself - the G650 is a bit pricey, but you get your money's worth I feel; what do you guys think?

Zirconia wrote: »
    They're okay but a bit cramped - you get what you pay for I guess. Personally I always go for Gulfstream myself - the G650 is a bit pricey, but you get your money's worth I feel; what do you guys think?
    Go for the G650ER.

Extended Reach means you don't have stop off to fill the tanks as often.

Maximum Fuel 48,200 lb which is about 27,386 litres

Gold is a better conductor :pac:
    Except it's not :pac:

Copper conducts better and silver is even betterer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Stoogie

Except it's not :pac:

Copper conducts better and silver is even betterer.

Gold is a better conductor for connections because it doesn't tarnish
    Silver and copper oxidise which cause issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Box sets.

Stoogie wrote: »
    Gold is a better conductor for connections because it doesn't tarnish
    Silver and copper oxidise which cause issues.
    When you have dissimilar metals in contact you can get thermocouple effects and galvanic corrosion.

Golden rule - if your equipment doesn't have gold plated connectors there's no point in using them. And TBH unless you are up at GHz they aren't used much.

Nickel gives much cheaper corrosion resistance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement