Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you legally adopt an adult in Ireland?

Options
  • 22-12-2016 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi I was fostered from I was 6 months old and have considered my foster family as my proper family? I just want to know at the age of 27 can I be legally adopted by my foster father.. My biological father is deceased and my birth mother would be in agreement? Can anyone help me??? Please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

I don't have any info on this but there is an old thread here: http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056945029

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Sukie89 wrote: »
    Hi I was fostered from I was 6 months old and have considered my foster family as my proper family? I just want to know at the age of 27 can I be legally adopted by my foster father.. My biological father is deceased and my birth mother would be in agreement? Can anyone help me??? Please

Hi Sukie-

The information I posted in the link kindly provided by Arbie is the current situation.

The adoption of adults is not legislated for in Irish law.
    There is a mechanism that allows the Adoption Authority to register adoptions outside of the normal criteria- which 'could' be used to register an adult adoption- I am not, however, aware that it has ever been invoked in that manner.

As per my previous post- you need to talk to a solicitor who is thoroughly familiar with family law- I suggested Geoffrey Shannon in my previous post- subsequent to that post- obviously he was appointed to the adoption authority itself- so you'll be looking for someone else unfortunately.

Advertisement