Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Webserver/pagekite noob question

• 22-12-2016 6:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭

HI All,

Looking to setup a webserver (probably). I need to access internal ip (security camera). Port forwarding not an option as my ISP does not provide public IP. I was advised to try pagekite. I can get that working provided i have something at port xxx with a webinterface (for example i used kodi at 1111 for testing.

Any suggestions on how i can have a webserver (or another solution) where i can forward the internal ip to pagekite?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If your ISP has you behind their own NAT you cant do it internal to your network.

The solution (other than getting a real connection) is to pay for a VPN service that allows your own NAT setup OR pay for a linode/similar VPS and set that up to do it yourself (If you had to ask the above question this option probably isnt for you).

This reddit post may help you:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/VPNTorrents/comments/3oar5m/list_of_vpns_that_allow_p2p_and_port_forwarding/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

ED E wrote: »
    If your ISP has you behind their own NAT you cant do it internal to your network.

The solution (other than getting a real connection) is to pay for a VPN service that allows your own NAT setup OR pay for a linode/similar VPS and set that up to do it yourself (If you had to ask the above question this option probably isnt for you).

This reddit post may help you:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/VPNTorrents/comments/3oar5m/list_of_vpns_that_allow_p2p_and_port_forwarding/

Thanks for the reply

Real connection out I'm afraid due to location.

But I have a webinterface, hence web server, working through pagekite with current connection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

M5 wrote: »
    HI All,

Looking to setup a webserver (probably). I need to access internal ip (security camera). Port forwarding not an option as my ISP does not provide public IP. I was advised to try pagekite. I can get that working provided i have something at port xxx with a webinterface (for example i used kodi at 1111 for testing.

Any suggestions on how i can have a webserver (or another solution) where i can forward the internal ip to pagekite?

You'll always have a public IP address, you need it when out in the wild west of the internet (between ISPs etc..). I use DNS duck, it automatically updates your DNS (a record I think?) when your IP mapping changes, it also changes, along with domain name, you'll need a domain but that just makes life easier for you. Just use your name or something. yourname.com/camera_system.

Then it's just normal port forwarding at local level and your away, it's fairly simple really and free apart from the 'domain' name. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

TallGlass wrote: »
    You'll always have a public IP address, you need it when out in the wild west of the internet (between ISPs etc..). I use DNS duck, it automatically updates your DNS (a record I think?) when your IP mapping changes, it also changes, along with domain name, you'll need a domain but that just makes life easier for you. Just use your name or something. yourname.com/camera_system.

Then it's just normal port forwarding at local level and your away, it's fairly simple really and free apart from the 'domain' name. :cool:

Thanks tallglass

Problem is once you setup your ddns the ports are all sent to the isp who's router does not forward on as it doesn't know which internal ip to send it to. I do have a public ip but it's shared with many other users. I'd need access to the modem with direct Internet connection. Fairly standard with mobile ISP 's

There's 1gb Internet in the town about 4km from me,its a joke I can't even get regular adsl (never mind "fiber powered")

Advertisement