Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there no rule about trolls in AH?

Options
  • 22-12-2016 7:27pm

I can see the rule about not being a dick, and the rule about personal abuse.

And there is a rule about reacting to trolls where a troll is defined as someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, extraneous or off topic material to provoke others or disrupt the topic, and then there is a specific rule against reacting.

But there is no rule about trolling itself, which of course may fall short of abuse. If a poster just says "your posts are crap", and contributes nothing to the topic, that's clearly trolling...but it falls short of being abusive and not sure it amounts to "being a dick".

Should there not be a specific rule not to post controversial, inflammatory, extraneous or off topic material to provoke others or disrupt the topic? Or is it there somewhere and am I missing it?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Conor74 wrote: »

And there is a rule about reacting to trolls where a troll is defined as someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, extraneous or off topic material to provoke others or disrupt the topic, and then there is a specific rule against reacting.

But there is no rule about trolling itself, which of course may fall short of abuse. If a poster just says "your posts are crap", and contributes nothing to the topic, that's clearly trolling...but it falls short of being abusive and not sure it amounts to "being a dick".

Should there not be a specific rule not to post controversial, inflammatory, extraneous or off topic material to provoke others or disrupt the topic? Or is it there somewhere and am I missing it?

But what if they are crap?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭maregal

Another precious petal looking to add another layer of rules to the existing mountain. If you only want to hear opinions you agree with, go chat to the mirror.

"Controversial and inflammatory" posts are completely subjective. Saying gays should be allowed to marry would have gotten you banned 30 years ago if Boards was around.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

It is extremely difficult to legislate for every conceivable post, particularly given the light-hearted nature and range of opinions in AH.

As others have said, the very notion of trolling is quite subjective and therefore does not lend itself well to hard and fast rules.

All I can suggest is that you use the Report Post function and let the mods take it from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Sometimes the posts are just crap

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Conor74 wrote: »

I think you need a girlfriend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Id say the OP is concerned with posts that appeared in his latest AH thread.

Thread here:
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057684956/1

Its about the burden of the Christmas shop. A common thing on most peoples hate list.

My post in particular may have rustled some jimmies, if thats still a thing.

"Worst thread ever.

Just as 3000+ food parcels were handed out to the less fortunate by the Cappuchin centre in Dublin this morning.

Poor you OP.

Poor you."

I had just read about 3000 people queing today in Dublin for christmas food parcels so I posted an alternate to the OP's predicament.

Trolling? No.
    Off topic? Thats a matter of opinion.
    Abusive? No.
    Just enough to get away with it? No.

I will admit my opening and closing words were direct and can be taken as inflamatory. If you were so inclined.

Anyway.

Lets be honest. The OP is as guilty as any other poster in regards to his concerns here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

JeffKenna wrote: »
    I think you need a girlfriend.

Girlfriend! Dude has a kid! Should be to busy for this nonsense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Stalk much?

Jealous much?

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »
    Constantly.

You know you are the only one tor me Pat. Im into 37yr old Wicklonians :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Much much? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Anyway the OP's thread title is redundant as it pertains to be a question. But it isn't.

Whether you answer yes or no the result is the same.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Well I think that's quite enough nonsense for the time being. Tom Dunne succinctly addressed the concerns of the OP and there's not really much more that can or needs to be said so I'm closing this before it gets completely out of hand.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement