Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Charlie Brooker's 2016 Wipe/Cunk On Christmas

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Lovely stuff, Cunk is on at 11pm that night in Norn Iron after a double bill of Give My Head Peace.

Those crazy Nordies and their wacky scheduling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

does anyone know if the Cunk Shakespeare special will be repeated during xmas??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Was this tonight?

Was this tonight?

Next Thursday!

I'm tempted to rewatch all the old Wipes as a warm up

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

'Cunk' sounds incredibly rude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

'Cunk' sounds incredibly rude.

Nah...its just Country and Punk....like The Meat Puppets.....:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,598 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Bump that thread!

source.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Skid X wrote: »
    Lovely stuff, Cunk is on at 11pm that night in Norn Iron after a double bill of Give My Head Peace.

Those crazy Nordies and their wacky scheduling.

You'd think after 30 years of violence in the North they've suffered enough and the BBC would go easy on them up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Lovely jubbley

Shame on you, Barlow :D

• Advertisement

I must have missed 'Clean for The Queen', it sounds like something a DOSAC initiative from The Thick of It.

Not sure if this is Wipe or Black Mirror :(

I must have missed 'Clean for The Queen', it sounds like something a DOSAC initiative from The Thick of It.

It was cringe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Does Charlie look a bit like Chris Martin?

The ancient BBC Rugby Special theme music there for some reason, they do like to have a bit of fun with background music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Charlie Brooker's 9th of November morning was much like my own

I think we should burn this former D Ream Keyboardist at the stake.

Ah sh1t. I would hate to get sucked off through a hole :(

The funniest programme so far this Christmas :)

Akrasia wrote: »
    Ah sh1t. I would hate to get sucked off through a hole :(

Not as bad as it sounds!

Let's go outside!

• Advertisement

The funniest programme so far this Christmas :)

It's funny because it's true

Man I hate that Cromwell guy. He was the isis of the 17th century

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Both programmes were great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

I loved the fake news segment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

This was the best thing on telly over the festive period, I reckon.

This was the best thing on telly over the festive period, I reckon.

Imagine an Irish version!

Charlie ripping into Ryan Tubridy, Ray D'Arcy, Joan Burton... :D

Ah well, you've always got Oliver Callan :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Imagine an Irish version!

Charlie ripping into Ryan Tubridy, Ray D'Arcy, Joan Burton... :D

Ah well, you've always got Oliver Callan :pac:

I nominate Sean Moncrieff to do it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Best one ever?? so much material for him..it was such a bizarre year it kinda wrote itself

Cunk & Sh!tpeas brilliantly thick as always :p

Just in case you missed either of them, here's the Youtube links for Charlie and Cunk (And Charlie's stuff usually stays up on Youtube so hopefully they'll both be viewable for a while)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Wipe repeated at 10pm tonight BBC2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Poor enough, nowhere near the heydays of screenwipe/newswipe.

Bowie's hits such as 'Les Dennis' and 'Salmon Fishing' :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,316 ✭✭✭✭briany

GreNoLi wrote: »
    Poor enough, nowhere near the heydays of screenwipe/newswipe.

Yeah, but I still look forward to it. Charlie Brooker has mellowed out and that's understandable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

He's still (literally) wasting BBC money though, which is a nice throwback, and it was a nice touch to have some orchestral Bowie playing in the background later on in the episode.

To be fair, 2016 had a lot to get through, he may not have been able to really give proper scathing attention to things he might want to since there's a lot to cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Thought he picked the low hanging fruit a bit, but it was still pretty funny stuff.

Even though we'd all seen Trump's litany of terrible brainfarts before, they really had the esclating logic of a bad dream as you watched them unfold as the programme counted down the months - knowing full well how it would all pan out. Jesus Christ. That fool is the President of The United States.

The most depressing part for me was watching Teresa May endlessly repeat the mantra that Brexit means Brexit until you realised that repeating this complete and utter soundbite gobbledygook was the only plan anyone has anywhere about where to go from here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Arghus wrote: »
    Thought he picked the low hanging fruit a bit, but it was still pretty funny stuff.

Even though we'd all seen Trump's litany of terrible brainfarts before, they really had the esclating logic of a bad dream as you watched them unfold as the programme counted down the months - knowing full well how it would all pan out. Jesus Christ. That fool is the President of The United States.

The most depressing part for me was watching Teresa May endlessly repeat the mantra that Brexit means Brexit until you realised that repeating this complete and utter soundbite gobbledygook was the only plan anyone has anywhere about where to go from here.

Can't really blame Theresa May for that. Cameron came up with the idea and it backfired badly on him. May is there to pick up the pieces.
    Having said that, I'm looking forward to seeing Britain post-Brexit, and I don't think the repercussions will be half as bad as we're being foretold - it might even lead to the downfall of the grossly bureaucratic and undemocratic EU, which won't be such a bad thing. I enjoyed the piece where Brooker complained that he wanted to speak to an archetypal "idiotic" northerner instead of somebody who tried to cogently explain why he voted to leave the EU.

Can't really blame Theresa May for that. Cameron came up with the idea and it backfired badly on him. May is there to pick up the pieces.
    Having said that, I'm looking forward to seeing Britain post-Brexit, and I don't think the repercussions will be half as bad as we're being foretold - it might even lead to the downfall of the grossly bureaucratic and undemocratic EU, which won't be such a bad thing. I enjoyed the piece where Brooker complained that he wanted to speak to an archetypal "idiotic" northerner instead of somebody who tried to cogently explain why he voted to leave the EU.

I don't blame Teresa May for having inherited the mess that Cameron left behind. He rightly ballsed it up.

I understood the compilation of her repeating the same thing ad-nauseum as illustrative of how even she as Prime Minister has no real clue what to do next and that above all else it's important to stay on message and just keep repeating this spin phraseology, that is essentially meaningless, in order to convey a sense of clarity and leadership. Though the irony is, the more it's said; the more uncertain it all sounds. Soundbites trumping actual governship. I'd blame her for that - because she's doing it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Arghus wrote: »
    I don't blame Teresa May for having inherited the mess that Cameron left behind. He rightly ballsed it up.

I understood the compilation of her repeating the same thing ad-nauseum as illustrative of how even she as Prime Minister has no real clue what to do next and that above all else it's important to stay on message and just keep repeating this spin phraseology, that is essentially meaningless, in order to convey a sense of clarity and leadership. Though the irony is, the more it's said; the more uncertain it all sounds. Soundbites trumping actual governship. I'd blame her for that - because she's doing it!

What's the alternative? To roll back from Brexit? Theresa May is in an invidious position through no fault of her own. The only mantra she has is to emphasise Brexit, because it's the democratic will of the British electorate, unlike the spineless bastards in this country who kept throwing EU referendums at us until they got the result they wanted, on the pretext that they negotiated some nebulous amendments with the suits in Brussels.
    I admire Theresa May for pressing ahead with it. It's unchartered territory and nobody knows what path it's going to take, but at least she's willing to go with it, wherever it may lead. I heard some idiot over the weekend on Claire Byrne's show saying we should have some sort of "Minister for Brexit". They might as well get somebody to piss into the wind for all the usefulness that a "Minister for Brexit" will be.

• Advertisement

I think I'll leave the political discussion at this point. We ain't going to solve it here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭Paleface

Brexit means Breakfast!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

a non continental breakfast at that ;)

There will not be a 2017 Wipe :(

http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2017/11/27/38545/charlie_brooker_cancels_2017_wipe
    In a series of Tweets, Brooker wrote: ‘Got some good news and bad news. Bad news is no 2017 Wipe. Was set to do it but ran out of road. Am way behind on scripts / dev elsewhere and contrary to my optimistic delusions it turns out I can’t do 400 things at once. [

The "good news" is something to do with a new series by Cunk which is of no interest to me, to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

There will not be a 2017 Wipe :(

http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2017/11/27/38545/charlie_brooker_cancels_2017_wipe

The "good news" is something to do with a new series by Cunk which is of no interest to me, to be honest.

That sucks. Always one of the highlights of the Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It had got a bit stale over the last couple of years for me anyway and Charlie could hardly take a swipe at himself and his success this year and his award speeches :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

Ahh that's a shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

That's very disappointing. One of the few things on Christmas TV I usually always enjoy. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It had got a bit stale over the last couple of years for me anyway and Charlie could hardly take a swipe at himself and his success this year and his award speeches :)

Totally agree.....last few have been cack.

Cock.

• Advertisement
Advertisement