Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celbridge Manor closed for Christmas

Options
  • 23-12-2016 1:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭

Have my Dad over for the festive period, he has been looking forward to visiting the hotel for a while for a look around and some lunch.
    Went onto their facebook page and saw that they closed on Monday and won't reopen until 27th Dec.
    They're playing the 'closed for staff to relax with family' line but obviously business is so poor they have to shut, what other reason would be shutting everything down for?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

A lot of hotels close for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭MotorMike

dobsdave wrote: »
    Have my Dad over for the festive period, he has been looking forward to visiting the hotel for a while for a look around and some lunch.
    Went onto their facebook page and saw that they closed on Monday and won't reopen until 27th Dec.
    They're playing the 'closed for staff to relax with family' line but obviously business is so poor they have to shut, what other reason would be shutting everything down for?

Fairly common practice for a lot of hotels to close for the couple of days, I admire it tbh, Gives all the staff some time off together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

What an utterly stupid and defamanous assumption. Are you always such a negaitive ninny - I'd say Christmas will be fun with you

I would guess that business has been extremely good, full for Christmas parties and staff FULLY deserve a few days off.

Pity big retailers that open on stephen's day don't follow that example.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,878 ✭✭✭✭L1011

More hotels close than stay open.

Hotels within driving distance of Dublin are out the door with business all the rest of the year at the moment - I doubt there are any issues there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Walter2016 wrote: »

What an utterly stupid and defamanous assumption. Are you always such a negaitive ninny - I'd say Christmas will be fun with you

I would guess that business has been extremely good, full for Christmas parties and staff FULLY deserve a few days off.

Pity big retailers that open on stephen's day don't follow that example.
    Had a great Christmas thanks, as did all my family, what does defamonous mean by the way?
    Anyway, I was talking to someone who works in the bar, they were told a few weeks beforehand that they would be closing for 8 days due to lack of bookings, which doesn't sound good.
    Hopefully they can pull it around, as It has some fond memories for me and my family.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Being a bit of a drama queen aren't we. Lots of hotels go quiet over Xmas. Lots of them used to do lunches over Xmas no longer do it.

Maybe if people booked lunch earlier the hotel might consider it worthwhile to keep it open.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Other than your vaguely based assumption, you have some verifiable facts to back this statement up, right?

Right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Had a great Christmas thanks, as did all my family, what does defamonous mean by the way?
    Anyway, I was talking to someone who works in the bar, they were told a few weeks beforehand that they would be closing for 8 days due to lack of bookings, which doesn't sound good.
    Hopefully they can pull it around, as It has some fond memories for me and my family.

So why did you have to go onto Facebook to see that they were closed if you had already talked to the guy behind the bar? How would he know anyway?

Seems like you know nothing, are a bit of a keyboard warrior and want to stir something for no reason??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

tallpaul wrote: »
    So why did you have to go onto Facebook to see that they were closed if you had already talked to the guy behind the bar? How would he know anyway?

Seems like you know nothing, are a bit of a keyboard warrior and want to stir something for no reason??

I reckon he has had an "issue" with them and has decided to defame them and try and damage their business by spreading false rumours.

How Boards allows such posts is beyond me and I know that the posts have been seen by the owners of Celbridge Manor and they are taking appropriate action

For the OP - I suggest you very quickly look up the new defamation legislation and I reckon you and Boards.ie will have a nice legal bill in 2017. Minimum district court defamation costs are about €15,000 - and that just the legal costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

tallpaul wrote: »

I talked to him after I posted the original post,and not at the hotel obviously...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

And we're done.

Appropriate action was taken in that the OP's statement was questioned by others and further information to verify their claim requested.

Walter2016, when boards.ie needs back seat moderating and or lawyering we'll call. In the meantime, follow the established site standard on not derailing a thread and PM'ing instead.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement