Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

good session woddle , how did you find it ? how do you find doing your training , especially speed sessions on the treadmill ? how are you sticking to your 5k plan ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Hi Seres I actually don't start the program till 3rd of November, just experimenting with it today, still training for Dublin marathon. A vo2 max session(intervals) was called for today, and marathon intervals are suppose to be 800m to just under 2000m and the speed sesion I did today fitted this criteria so just gave it a bash, I loved the speed sessions once I get going and doing them on the treadmill helps me pace myself also its lashing out :D

Is the jingle bell 5k your goal also,

I went indoor football Tuesday night and got a bit of a kick on the shin so took Wednesday off just in case. Paronia maybe.
    So tonight 10.13 miles in 1:25, pace 8:24, thrown into the mix was 2@8min and 1@7:40 and another 1@7:25. I just wanted to do something different as it's probably one of the last sessions to count towards my fitness on the day.
    I raided aldi twice today, and the best purchase of all had to be the armband led lights, I wore it tonight and there deadly, the base layers are pretty good also.
    I also bought a pair of spikes, I'm wearing them now in an effort to break them in, I'll hit marley park and give them a spin tomorrow, in advance of Saturdays cross country.

Today 3.16 miles in 24 mins, pace 7:36
    mile 1 8:07
    mile 2 6:43 just to get the legs ready for tomorrows xcountry
    mile 3 8:06 in spikes and they felt good.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭stipes212

Woddle wrote: »
    Today 3.16 miles in 24 mins, pace 7:36
    mile 1 8:07
    mile 2 6:43 just to get the legs ready for tomorrows xcountry
    mile 3 8:06 in spikes and they felt good.

be wary of spikes in training (achilles/hamstring)
    Good luck tomorrow

• Advertisement

Xcountry race 4.4 mile in 30:30, pace 6:55.
    I'm happy with my time but my strategy was so stupid started off so quickly, mile 1 in 6:19 and I never recovered or quite felt in the groove. My HR was sky high through out, but valuable lesson learned, start slower

Using the race points thing on my Log which helps you compare your performances against races of different lenghts. I scored 625 which is a 2008 high and my average HR for the race was 91% also my highest total in a race so its nice to know that I can push harder

Out the door at 7:30 and was met by a bit of wind, 11.75 miles in 1:42, pace 8:45.
    This run felt hard and had to keep myself motivated to finish the distance and even at that I was 0.25 short of my target 12. But my legs where still very heavy after yesterdays run, brings milage for the week up to 35.7 and 43.7 for the previous week, so time now to relax and take it easy for the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well done Woddle, you deserve the rest. I had a similar run today - 12 miles, in 1:38, and legs felt tired and sluggish (6 miles @MP yesterday). Am looking forward to the short runs next week. Did you follow an 'in-between marathon program' or just make it up yourself?

Cheers krusty, you sound like your going well yourself, and yes i'm loosly following a 4 week between multiple marathons from advanced marathoning,Pfitzinger and Douglas

So, what does P&D recommend for next week (seeing as our plans are pretty closely aligned)?

• Advertisement

What he has down is
    Mon rest
    Tue 6 mile recovery
    Wed 7 with 2 @ MP
    Thur 6 Recovery
    Fri 5 mile with 6x100m strides
    Sat 4 recovery
    Sun marathon? so I suppose rest day

What I'll do is
    Mon rest
    Tue 5 mile recovery, indoor footy
    Wed rest
    Thur 7 with 2 @ MP
    Fri 4 with 6x100m strides
    Sat rest
    Sun 2 mile easy, did this on the last 2 marathons

Have you made up your mind yet about having a go at sub 3:2?

Woddle wrote: »
    Have you made up your mind yet about having a go at sub 3:2?
    Yes, I'll definitely be trying for a PB, which is anything under around 3:25:33.
    I'm going to set out at a sub-3:20 pace. Probably around: 7:30/mile - 4:40/km. I'm relatively optimistic, as I can run comfortably at this pace, I just feel it afterwards, mostly in my ankles and knees. So it could either go very well for me, or I'll end up hobbling over the finish line (or worse).

That seems like a hell of a lot of mileage for the last few days before the marathon (well compared to the Hal Higdon plans I've been following). My plan is to do: rest, 2, 4, 2, rest, rest, 2, race. HH's between marathon plan seems a lot more basic. I've followed this for the last 6 weeks, except I've worked in a couple of 22 mile runs. I also gave up the footie around 5 weeks ago. I bought P&Ds book online a couple of days ago, so looking forward to trying a more advanced marathon plan in the new year in preparation for Edinburgh. Anyway, best of luck with the last week. Roll-on Monday week!

Haven't done much since Sundays run. Over the last 2 weeks I've had a pain just under my left rib cage but when I run it's fine but after the run it starts to hurt again. I didn't bother going to a doctor as I don't want to waste money especially if he's going to put me on antibiotics, so I'll go see him after the marathon.
    Today 5.7 miles in 50 mins up in Marley park, tough run with the wind and all that, I never really got out of first gear but I will tomorrow, a few miles at MP.

After reading Ikes log I thought I would put down a few facts from my own log. I started on the 20th of Feb and ran a single mile in 9:26. Since then I've covered a distance of 944.8 miles and my biggest weekly total was 53 miles and that was all the way back in the middle of July. I've lost 2 stone and I reckon another stone would get me the body of a long distance runner.
    I feel I'm on a bit of an anti climax because I've possibly ruined all chances of a pb in Dublin by doing 2 marathons already in as many months.
    So looking forward to the marathon but am also looking forward to putting marathons behind me till April.
    And it's a thanks to Ikes log why I'm still going because he started a log just before me and it got me motivated as reading it I thought heres a guy in the same boat as myself and he's doing something about it. So cheers Ike and also anyone else who's thinking of getting into running for whatever reason don't be afraid to start a log, it's a great motivator, my side is killing me as I type, I'm probably a dumbass for not going to the doctor and I wouldn't mind I had an appointment for last Friday but cancelled it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Thanks Woddle appreciate the comments.

I'll PM you my mobile and give you a bell at some stage on Monday either before or after, hopefully we'll get together for a pint

Cheers Ike I got that and sure I'll do the same.
    4.1 miles today, 2 at marathon pace in 33:11

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭stipes212

ike wrote: »
    Thanks Woddle appreciate the comments.

I'll PM you my mobile and give you a bell at some stage on Monday either before or after, hopefully we'll get together for a pint

I hope that pint is AFTER.
    Good luck on monday Woddle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

best of luck on Monday, 3 marathons in 3 months will be achievement enough, 3 PB's to boot would be out of this world.

Two words - negative splits ;).

Have a rest afterwards, plenty time for those 5k and 10k PB's, they'll come easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Best of luck for monday , Enjoy the run. :)

Would love to be running myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Best of luck dude.

My see you after for a well deserved pint.

Thanks everybody, not too sure about the pb rf but sure I'll give it a bash :D
    Last run in preperation for a marathon, thank God
    2.13 miles in 17:47, pace 8:21 and heart rate was higher than normal for all my runs this week but I'll put it down to wind,
    I'm also taking part in a study for Glasgow university re high5, I have to take one of their gels every 20 mins, but the main reason I'm doing it is for the feedback they'll give me back in a couple of weeks from my blood and urine samples. and I'll then be able to use this info for Paris and Berlin next year.
    Best of luck to everyone doing the marathon tomorrow and I hope you get what you deserve, all that training has to be worth it ;)

• Advertisement

Quick post, It was a great day out and another pb 3:37 :D
    I'll do a blow by blow tomorrow.

Congrats Woddle! Another great marathon effort! 3 Marathons in as many months.. You deserve a break! Congrats!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

3 months. 3 marathons. 3 PB's. :eek::eek::eek:.

Well done buddy. Enjoy the rest now and you'll reap the rewards of all the endurance training with better times over shorter distances over the next few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

well done great stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

feckin hell - super time Woddle - well done

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Unreal progress this year, many congratulations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Well done dude. Great progression this year from you. Take a week or two off now. You will be able to return to training more stronger.
    Sorry I missed you in the Lombard. I was there untill 3.30 or so. Not sure what time you got there at

Cheers everyone for your support :D
    I’ll start with the night before the marathon, because a few people think my fuelling for the race is at the least a little strange. In the previous 2 marathons I never ate breakfast I had my last meal the night before and this marathon would be no different, so at 22:30 I had a bowl of spaghetti and 3 slices of brown bread, I then went to bed soon after and brought a banana, power bar gel and a glass of vitC . My wife woke me up at about half past midnight so I had the banana and power bar and went back asleep. Now the way I refuel may not suit everybody but it does suit me and I figured I’m going to be taking 11 gels throughout the run.
    10 minutes before the race I had a high 5 gel like they told me to (Glasgow university).
    I was trying to get in the zone while waiting for the hooter but it wasn’t really happening as I wasn’t expecting much from the run as this would be my 3rd marathon in 9 weeks and 1 day.
    The hooter went and off we went, very slowly, very poor starting spot for a marathon as there where too many turns so early on, a stop start effect was going on after only ½ a mile, then there seemed to be a bit of an incline this is where I saw Robinph and decided not to follow (I learned that lesson). I was feeling very negative at this stage and went through mile 1 in 8:43 and mile 2 in 8:08. It was at this point I met a guy from Manchester, Tim. He told me his aim was 3:30 so I said I’ll give that a bash and straight away I began to feel more positive and the miles began ticking off nicely, really enjoyed running through the park and I was starting to feel warm and was glad I had followed racing flats advice, which was to wear what you normally do and just before the race I took of my base layer and long sleeved top off and put on one of the tech shirts from the adidas series.
    Miles 3,4,5,6,7,8 all averaged out at 8 min pace and I was definitely feeling good, my fuelling for the marathon had me taking a gel pretty much every 20 mins, which I continued to do and this was new to me as I was use to taking only 2 or 3 max, so was I committing one of the cardinal sins and doing something that I hadn’t done in training.
    It was great coming to drimnagh and crumlin because I kind of knew where I was but that changed quickly as it seemed to be a slight incline, with the wind coming straight at you but my 8 min miles was continuing. I knew we where heading up towards bushy park and then it would be slightly downhill after that, this was probably the point in the marathon where I felt fully in control, myself and Tim where ticking along nicely although Donal from Kerry who had joined us back in the phoenix park was starting to fall off the pace.
    Miles 9 to 18 and the pace was still at 8 min/miles and I was still feeling good but Milltown broke me and mile 19 was 8:09 and mile 20 was 8:16 and the pace would continue to fall from here on in. I tried to get some momentum going but couldn’t, Tim had left me behind at this stage, I tried to go with him but couldn’t, so decided to take 2 gels together, I would have tried anything at this stage to get me motoring again.
    Really wanted to stop but pushed on to mile 23/24 (can’t remember exactly) before stopping for a widdle and a bit of a stretch and breather, mile 23 8:51 and mile 24 10:07(****).
    The crowd was getting very vocal at this stage and they where fantastic from start to finish but I still stopped for the second time at mile 25 but this didn’t last long as someone from the crowd let a roar at me, don’t know what he said but it was along the lines of get a flipping move on and it was what I needed and off I went and from that point on if I saw someone walking I tried to motivate them, this was for my benefit also, as I was trying to psyche myself out, half a mile to go and I passed Tim and with the cheers of the crowd I sprinted to the finish and nearly going into cramp. My garmin had me sprinting to the finish in 4:51 pace.
    It was a great day with a great crowd and fantastic helpers, and to date the best finishers t shirt and medal I’ve ever gotten.
    And to top the day off I got to enjoy a few pints with fellow boards runners, which was very enjoyable and Tim joined us for a few war stories aswell, Bring on Paris
    http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7055378

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Well Done Woddle, good stuff out of you :D Crazy experience sprinting for the line on failing legs isn't it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Congrat great report Woddle.

Advertisement