Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"It's what you do next that counts"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Yep - superb improvement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

The days are flying by.
    http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7605229
    Decided on a rest day yesterday as the legs were tired, that leaves me 2 more rest days for the remainder of Feb.
    Went on a long run and my only reason for doing so was the 1000 mile challenge. I can see Donothopon pop in my sights and I can see Stupid private coming for me, so I'm going to dig deep. This week and next are planned 60 mile weeks, so I could do with the extra motivation, I've never been one for big miles before but I'm enjoying them at the moment.

16.3 miles in 2:15:02, pace 8:17
    Average HR 77%
    Hints of warmer weather out there, I was roasting with my 3 layers on :eek:
    and it was especially warmer up the mountain way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Nice run Woddle, there's a fair few hills thrown in for good measure. Good stuff.

And yup, Spring is in the air!

Woddle wrote: »
    7 miles in 54:23, pace 7:46
    Average HR 76%

The 5k came to 19:54 and had an average HR of 83%

7 miles in 55:00, pace 7:51
    Average HR 74%
    5K average HR was 83% same as last week,
    Max of 185 compared with 183 last week

I found this session of 5x1k@5k pace with 2 min jog in between far tougher than last week. After the fourth one I was done or so I thought, my brain convinced myself to take the 2 min break just don't jog it and thats what I needed as it let me get the last one in.
    I wasn't suppose to do this till tomorrow but I just felt like it.

5.1 recovery miles in 42:33, pace 8:22
    Average HR 68%

Quads were a bit stiff today and I didn't want to go on a run but knew I was always going to. Catching Donothoponpop (1000 mile challenge) has become a must for me :D
    I had a bit of a niggle, very slight, I wouldn't even be concerned normally, only that its where I had the itb trouble last year, so I'm going to concentrate the foam roller in this direction but I'm hoping its just stiffness after 2 hard days.

I was reading a bit of Jack Daniels last night and he was talking about a runners stride rate and that 180 a min (90 with each leg) is what the elite runners do and it never really changes regardless of pace. So tonight I thought I would take my own stride rate, I did this twice both times on the flat. In the middle of my run it totalled 170 and towards the end 166. So what does this mean, it means I need to improve that figure but anybody know how you go about improving your stride rate as JD doesn't really explain that part very well.

I got out the door a little later than normal this morning, about 7:20 and it was already getting nice and bright, I left the tights at home as spring is def in the air. I had planned to do 22 miles or 3 hours which ever came first but at about 14 miles I convinced myself to postpone the 22 for a couple of weeks as it might be more beneficial, well at least that was my reasoning for dropping the 2 miles and just doing 20 (just :D), I really enjoyed this run but it was a little bit more difficult than last week as I didn't have the camera which meant I didn't stop but thats a good thing. Also I normally only do 3 miles in marlay park between miles 7-10 but today I tagged on another 2.25 and then tagged on an extra loop of st endas and this worked out well because when I left St Endasit left me with only 6 miles left on the road. Really happy with the run and its the first time ever that I've done 2 consecutive 20 milers on a Sunday and its the first time ever that I,ve run 2 consecutive weeks with a total milage over 50 (55.4 & 53.5). So all in all training is going well and its my best ever run and thats 7 straight good weeks.
    20 miles in 2:50:52, pace 8:33
    Average HR 74%
    http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7623027

I'm heading to Wexford on Wednesday for a long weekend, so it will be a step back week and my long run will be cut to 15 but thats well needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭Peckham

That's a great run Woddle. Fantastic end to a very productive two weeks it seems - you deserve your stepback week! (And you're going to kick my ass in the next BHAA race you run!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

great running woddle. 49 days to go to Paris and you are well on course with your training. I don't know how you can get out the door at 7 for your run, fair play

Just looked at your motionbased log. 19.99 miles is not a 20 mile run! ;) In situations like that, you need to do a lap of the driveway!

• Advertisement

Peckham wrote: »
    Just looked at your motionbased log. 19.99 miles is not a 20 mile run! ;) In situations like that, you need to do a lap of the driveway!

The watch said 20 I swear :)

and roadrunner I used to have to get out at time with kids and all but now I love it, everything is so quite and perfect on a Sunday morning and when I see everyone else going out at lunchtime, I just think thank God I'm done and I have the rest of the day still to do stuff.

Yeah. It's great getting the run over and done with, would love to have your discipline and get my arse out the door.

I'm glad Pecham has highlighted your "short course" today. I think the 1000 mile challengers will have a few questions to ask of you.

Well I've finally made myself exhausted :D. I'm so tired I've decided to reduce my miles this week and take today off. I'll increase the quality and I'll probably take 2 maybe 3 rest days as I'll be in Wexford having a good time with the kids and wife.
    So the week will be:
    Mon - rest
    Tue - 10 miles first 5@8 min pace, 2nd 5 at 7:20 pace
    Wed - 5 mile recovery
    Thurs - 6 miles which will include 8x 1/2 mile, theres a lovely strip of road for this close to Hook lighthouse.
    Fri - rest and I'll be heading to Waterford for the cinema and Mcdonalds
    Sat - 15.3 miles (I'll try some kind of a progression run) around Fethard and Hook, I'll bring the camera ;)
    Sun - 5 mile recovery back in Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

still a good 40+ week ....
    For the 10 miler i would prefer doing it the other way around,thats just me.
    Is that your preference or the way your program is set out ?
    I presume 7:20 pace is near your MP

I would prefer it the other way also but I think I need to get myself used to negative splits, I'm quite bad for loosing time in the second part of a race. 7:27 is predicted marathon pace for now anyway, I still don't know if I'm being too ambitious with a sub 3:15 :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

I would prefer it the other way also but I think I need to get myself used to negative splits, I'm quite bad for loosing time in the second part of a race. 7:27 is predicted marathon pace for now anyway, I still don't know if I'm being too ambitious with a sub 3:15 :confused:
    Better to fail at a hard target then to achieve an easy one ;) .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Great bit of advice shels - he's right Woddle its probably just doubt's creeping in at this time too usually happens when you feel tired after a hard few weeks.

Aim big - would you rather

1. target 3:20 and get 3:19
    or
    2. target 3:15 and get 3:16....;)

No reason why you cannot achieve Sub 3:15 ...
    I will be aiming for that myself when i do one.

Sosa wrote: »
    No reason why you cannot achieve Sub 3:15 ...
    I will be aiming for that myself when i do one.

No 3:15 is the target, I suppose I'm tryin to down play it a little just in case :D I remember having a pint with a wise man after the Dublin marathon and his take on targets were you should be aiming to beat your last race time or PB and not get caught up with mad targets, so in this case it would be 3:37, oh and the guy in the pub was Sungod and that was probably the only bit of sense he made :D

+1 to what ike said, nerves come into play after a tough week ("I ran 20 at slower than marathon pace and I really felt it: how will I possibly do 26 at a faster pace?"). Believe in the training you're doing, stick with the 3:15 goal, aim to beat that if you feel like you can at 20 miles on the day. Step back this week and enjoy the time off, you'll come back fresh for the final few weeks hard training, then eat sleep drink 3:15 3:15 3:15...

No 3:15 is the target, I suppose I'm tryin to down play it a little just in case :D I remember having a pint with a wise man after the Dublin marathon and his take on targets were you should be aiming to beat your last race time or PB and not get caught up with mad targets, so in this case it would be 3:37, oh and the guy in the pub was Sungod and that was probably the only bit of sense he made :D

I like that advice.. :)
    So my target is 4:22 for Belfast then , as thats my chicago time, even if i did walk the last 9/10 miles..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

I remember having a pint with a wise man after the Dublin marathon and his take on targets were you should be aiming to beat your last race time or PB and not get caught up with mad targets, so in this case it would be 3:37, oh and the guy in the pub was Sungod and that was probably the only bit of sense he made :D

ah grasshopper you should know better than to listen to strange (but very attractive) men in pubs.

Well I had a good session, not quite what was planned and not quite sure what you would call it. The idea was to start at 8 min pace for the first 5 miles and move up to 7:20 for the next 5. Didn't happen, I loosened the legs up for the first mile but still went through in
    7:43 and I just started getting quicker but I was trying to slow down but then just went with it
    7:26
    7:10
    7:09
    7:05
    6:59 I decided after this to slow down so I could go all out for a fast mile.
    7:57
    7:18 I was nackered after the first half mile in 3:11
    7:28
    7:52 suppose to be an easy cool down but dire straits walk of life came on for the next 0.6 miles :D

10 miles in 74:11, pace 7:25 (which is actually my pmp)
    Average HR 82% not bad a little higher than I would like.
    http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7643549

I just noticed for some reason it says 9.98 on motionbase but my watch and training centre say 10, I don't know why this is. :confused:

Also this week represents 1 year back in running after a 6 year break. wih hoo, see I told you mrs woddle it wasn't a nother phase :D

Good running Woddle. Nice to cap your running anniversary with a "Top Ten";)

Good running Woddle. Nice to cap your running anniversary with a "Top Ten";)

No word of a lie I dumped my kids with my mam and was going to collect them straight after the run, I passed her house at 8.25 miles or sth (I miscalculated the route)and was going to call in and just get them but the thoughts overtaking you made me run passed her house and do the extra 1.75 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Great running Woddle, and a lovely day to do it. Shame about the Dire Straits, but two out of three ain't bad. :)

After last Tuesdays run I was excited about going to Wexford for a few days and getting a few nice runs in. Well that didn't happen. Wednesdays run didn't happen as I ended up minding my little brother and then it was time to head to Wexford. Thursday didn't happen due to laziness and drink the night before. Friday I had planned to have a bash at these yasso (10x800). Theres a nice 800 meter route outside the house that I have marked fro last summer. So jogged 1/2 mile to warm up and out pops this dog, he was old but everytime I tried to run by him he went for me. I shouted like a lunatic at the only house there and finally someone came and took the dog in. Needless to say I was finished on this strip of road. I was running out of sunlight but decided to go get the car and head to Duncannon beach. It was lovely but after my first 2 800s my shin started feeling sore, I started the 3rd one but then did a u turn straight back to the car. I was fairly annoyed and decided not to run again till I got home and just enjoy the break.

22/2/09
    10.13 miles in 78:04, pace 7:42, 6@PMP
    Average HR 81%
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/2219629

23/2/09
    12.76 miles in 1:49:15, pace 8:34
    Average HR 74%
    Cut this run short as my hamstrings were starting to feel tight.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/2228058

hope the shins heal up for you,woddle ...you will chomping at the bit to get going soon,we all need a lull every once in a while to get us going againm

Cheers Sosa but there fine now, I think it happens to me when I drive for a long time and I was driving a fair bit, 110 miles down there then over to Waterford and back and then going for dinner and all. I also started stretching the calfs.

I felt so bloated on this run and I'm nearly sure I was sweating pancake batter. Cut it from 8 to 6.23 as I'm going to go football tonight.

6.23 recovery miles in 54:05, pace 8:41
    Average HR 68%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

It might not feel like it at the moment but a weeks rest may well stand to you on the big day. Paris is a fantastic race and a great atmosphere, the last thing you'll be thinking of as you pound up to teh Arc de Triomph is that dog or pancake batter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

...as I'm going to go football tonight.
    Don't do it!! I played last night and after taking a few knocks, my speed-work today turned into a long slow hobble run... I have to give it up.. New boots too. :(

I met up with Shels4ever today to run a 2 mile race organised by Raheny. Small field but good standard. I ran this in 13:15 back in July or sth. I went to the back of the field just in case as everyone looked better than me but soon after the start I ran a bit quicker to join a pack that was breaking away. First mile in 6:07, I didn't look at the watch once till it was over and it helped, I actually knew I was running well and didn't need the watch. Overtook a lady and then a bloke at about 1.25, he stayed close, I could hear him and see his shadow from the light off the lamposts, everytime he tried to pass I could see his head on the ground so I sped up and with about 400 to go I legged it. 12:20 finishing time, I was delighted and am now really looking forward to the paddys day 5k :D
    New 2 mile pb the last one being 13:01, not a big milestone but another indicator that things are going well. Also my race pointer calculator now rates this race as my best performance.

2.02 miles in 12:20
    Average HR 85% which suggests I didn't run as hard as I can as I have got this figure up to 89/90% for smaller races in the past including this race last summer.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/2258807
    Also I think I've finally cracked the whole breathing thing.

Total miles for today 5.27

Well done on the pb Woddle.

Speaking as someone myself who tends to be gasping for air at times, compared to others around me in races, what do you mean by cracked it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Nice one. Sub 12 will be a tantalising target now, run a race at 5.xx pace.

nice run, if I had have known this was on I would have joined ye - went around the Raheny 5 mile route myself in time for the match.

Speaking as someone myself who tends to be gasping for air at times, compared to others around me in races, what do you mean by cracked it?

I noticed something in the last mile of the Dungarvan 10, I started to get a bit of a rhythm, but I sound like a steam train or something and probably sound funny to others but its one big breath in through the nose and then blowing out of the mouth twice and you notice a big difference.
    So if 1 represents inhale and 2 represents exhale
    1 2 2 1 2 2 1 2 2 and so on, :D
    Hope that explains it :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Well done Woddle, good run

Great run Woddle. The fact both mile splits were within range of each other is also a great sign. I have done leagues like the one in Raheny before and if you do them consistently you will smash the 12 minute barrier as you get more race savy.

Yep well done good running there, Was happy to still have you in my sights at 800m ;) .. Just need to improve a bit more and might give you a race during the summer..

• Advertisement

Very enjoyable alright and its funny I really wasn't in the mood beforehand and all the snot streaming from your nose :D and yet we both had a good run. I nearly wish I lived closer to Raheny as I would probably do alot more of them.

Very enjoyable alright and its funny I really wasn't in the mood beforehand and all the snot streaming from your nose :D and yet we both had a good run. I nearly wish I lived closer to Raheny as I would probably do alot more of them.
    ]
    Tell me about it, Wasnt one of my best days yesterday... I'll be running the full summer series there in the summer which is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

I met up with Shels4ever today to run a 2 mile race organised by Raheny. Small field but good standard. I ran this in 13:15 back in July or sth. I went to the back of the field just in case as everyone looked better than me but soon after the start I ran a bit quicker to join a pack that was breaking away. First mile in 6:07, I didn't look at the watch once till it was over and it helped, I actually knew I was running well and didn't need the watch. Overtook a lady and then a bloke at about 1.25, he stayed close, I could hear him and see his shadow from the light off the lamposts, everytime he tried to pass I could see his head on the ground so I sped up and with about 400 to go I legged it. 12:20 finishing time, I was delighted and am now really looking forward to the paddys day 5k :D
    New 2 mile pb the last one being 13:01, not a big milestone but another indicator that things are going well. Also my race pointer calculator now rates this race as my best performance.

2.02 miles in 12:20
    Average HR 85% which suggests I didn't run as hard as I can as I have got this figure up to 89/90% for smaller races in the past including this race last summer.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/2258807

Total miles for today 5.27

Great stuff Woddle, I ran this course once last year and did 13:57 would love a crack at it again sometime. Sub-20 is on my man.

I was a little worried about todays run as I was going to be doing it with the roadrunner so I was worried about pace would I be slowing him down too much and all that but then I devised a plan, I'll ask the questions so he'll be doing all the talking while I concentrate on keeping pace :D. But I needn't have worried as he was only to happy to go at my pace. So a very enjoyable, slightly hilly and a little bit on grass kind of a run. Time flys when you have company, will def be looking for more running partners in the future and I have my next one on Saturday with an old friend, so looking forward to it.

10.29 miles in 1:23:29, pace 8:07
    Average HR 75%

Might be time to roll out some Saturday Boards AC "meet and runs" in Phoenix Park or elsewhere?

Might be time to roll out some Saturday Boards AC "meet and runs" in Phoenix Park or elsewhere?

Good idea. Saturday is a day I like to run a little easier. If it's flagged well in advance runners of different fitness should be able to tailor their training plans so we could run most of it together. Any thoughts ?

Another idea is a meet and beer session. We were thinking maybe after the 5k race on the 15th of march ?????? This is going to be my last beer session before London.

• Advertisement

I would def be up for it, I can't believe how fast time goes, I swore I was only running 20 mins today and not an hour and 20 and the same applies to Shels last night, very enjoyable runs, count me in anyway Peckham and roadrunner you can def count me in for the beers, I hope you got out of the drive ok, I probably should have helped as it can be a bad spot.

I hope you got out of the drive ok, I probably should have helped as it can be a bad spot.

Yeah not a problem. I closed my eyes, whacked the car into reverse and pulled a handbreaker and off I ripped in the wheels of steel !

+1 on the Phoenix park weekend runs, now is as good a time as any :)

My friend is running on Sunday in Santry and decided against an easy 5 today so I decided to go for 20 instead, so I cancelled my 5x1K @ 5k pace and will put it off till Monday or Tuesday. This run felt the hardest of all, I never eat the morning of my long runs but I have a cereal before bed the night before but for some reason last night I forgot. I was starving on this run, I don't take any gels either but I do carry 700ml worth of a carbo drink but this didn't last. I was very warm with my rain/wind breaker on and I felt I was over heating. Just glad to have it over with but I def prefer doing it on Sundays.

20 miles in 2:50:30, pace 8:32
    Average HR 76%
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/2285791

This was a very hilly route and I probably won't do this route again for the next 20 miler, also I will be doing that run with gels in preperation for Paris

So far my long runs have been
    3x20, 2x16, 2x15 and 7x10 plus runs, this is far more than I did for last years marathons but its funny when I'm running my lsrs, I can't picture myself going much faster.
    Miles for Feb 196

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Looks like you covered a fair proportion of south Dublin in that run. Great running Woddle, you're in good form by the looks of it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement