Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Wottle

June 27th to July 3rd

Finally hit with covid, 14 miles for the week and 4 rest days. Highly frustrating but better to have it now.

July 4th to 10th

Ran every day, 51 miles with no real sessions apart from this morning's 15 mile long run, marathon pace plus 40 to 50 seconds.

The theme of the week was a slightly elevated resting heart rate and running heart rate. If I wasn't a runner, I might feel I'm back to a 100%, hopefully over the next couple of days as I'd love to get a session in on Wednesday.

Next week is 14 weeks to Amsterdam.

July 11th to 17th

62 miles for the week and really happy with the quality.

Had a midweek session on the Wednesday, 7x3 minutes at 10 mile to Half marathon pace off a 60 second jog recovery.

I was dreading the session as unsure if COVID is behind me, couldn't have gone any better.

Concentrated more on my stryd footpod for pacing and the range equated to 6'28-6'35 mile pace.

Second session of the week was Saturday, 7 miles with 5 at predicted marathon power.

The loop is just over a mile long around Boden park and undulating. Paces came in at 6'51, 6'55, 6'44, 6'45, 6'48.

Thrilled with how it went as heart rate remained in a really good place.

Sunday Long run was with the group, up to Bohernabreena and back, 16.5 challenging miles. From the off HR was off, don't think I can entirely blame the heat, we started at 7am. Probably need to prepare a little better nutritionally the evening before.

I came home 2 kilos lighter and very dehydrated, despite taken plenty of fluids and gels on board.

Mullingar 10 miler next Sunday, looking forward to it but with an 11:30 start, if conditions are hot, I probably won't bother.

July - 202 miles

some good efforts but mostly running below par.

August - 221 miles

All of the above miles were done in Portugal. I'd get up nice and early to avoid the heat. Some good solid sessions and long runs but hadn't a clue what shape I was in.

September - 223 miles

Included the Ratoath half in 1:33:3? A disappointing run, elevated HR from the start and dizzy spells after.

Got my bloods done and would highly recommend this to runners who are feeling flat. Turns out my iron levels were very low 9 umol/L. A couple of weeks of galfor twice daily and lots of red meat and my levels are up to 13. This is very comforting with 2 more weeks till Amsterdam.

My last 3 long runs have actually gone well.

First was 22 miles which included 4x3 miles at marathon effort on a hilly route. The average pace around 7:15.

Second long run was a 20 miler with 8x1.5 miles off a 5 minute jog, again on a hilly route. Average pace about 7:10s.

And then Friday gone 15 miles with 10 miles in the middle progressing from 7:23 to 6:40. Trying to mimic race day heart rate drift. Definitely could have done another few miles.

Wore my race day Vaporflies for the first time and the fresh bounce was evident but not a huge difference when compared to my other vapors with 340 miles on them.

Two weeks to go

I'm not a 100% sure on my target time for Amsterdam yet, input definitely welcome.

One idea is to go out at 7'24 pace, which is sub 3'15. My hope is with two more weeks and improved iron levels that this cautious pace might see me run my first ever negative split.

Seville was 3'25 and I cramped badly in the last 4 or 5 miles (iron was low then too). I know anything quicker than Seville should be considered a win but I'm greedy.

October 3rd - 9th

40 miles for the week with two rest days and two light marathon effort workouts.

On Friday I decided to try mimic the same heart rate mile splits as the first 5 miles of my Seville Marathon.

I'm trying to get an idea of what a realistic target would be for Amsterdam. The answer was an average of 7'16 mile pace (312 watt) and felt pretty strong throughout.

This morning was a 10 miler with 3x10 mins at 312w. First two efforts are downhill and came in at 6'50 & 6'55. Last rep is massively uphill and the split was 7'23.

Pretty happy with the numbers as did this session the week before Seville and splits and HR all improved.

Oct 10th - Rest

Oct 11th - 30 minutes with 6x400m, slightly quicker than MP

Oct 12th - 35 minutes at 8'45 pace

Oct 13th - 35 minutes with 3x1k off 60 seconds, trying to dial into MP 7'20, a little quick at 7'10s

Had a sports massage with Peter Mathews on Tuesday morning, no areas of concern.

Limited my carb intake on Monday and Tuesday, ate normally yesterday and will add extra carbs from today till last meal Saturday.

After Seville Marathon, I got my 5k to 18'35 and 5 mile to 31'10. I thought I was going to kick on from here, averaging just over 200 miles a month but it didn't really happen.

A disappointing 93 mins in Ratoath and I was already contemplating an alternative to Amsterdam.

Had bloods done and the results identified low iron. I feel I've now resolved that issue and feeling pretty positive.

Target time sub 3'15, this is the A goal. The B goal is to beat Seville 3'25.

Noticeable changes in this training plan:

1. specific marathon paced long runs, including a 22 & 21 miler.

2. Overall volume is up, 1900 miles so far for the year.

3. Have kept nutrition in check.

4. Zero miles/sessions run faster than 10 mile race pace since end of July.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Good stuff and best of luck at the weekend! As a matter of interest, whats the thinking behind nothing faster than 10 mile pace?

Thanks 🤗

I don't feel its needed, at least not for me. I think I'm a little quicker over the shorter or maybe (and more likely) a case of my endurance is poor to average, so wanted all my miles ticking the endurance box.

Especially no 5k work and eroding aerobic development. The only exception would be strides but 100 meter efforts at 3k pace with lots of recovery between efforts isn't an issue.

So my miles have been mainly easy, 10 mile / half and MP. The only issue being, I never really knew what my MP was, guessing mainly. I've had a lot of hit and miss sessions, whether caused by low iron or running in Algarve heat in August.

Spent 5 weeks there and although mileage was high, there was a feel of no man's land to it.

This cycle has been one big experiment, looking forward to deciphering it after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Very best of luck🤗 it's defo a marathon I would like to do myself at some stage😊

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Best of luck in Amsterdam, I hope you have a great run and can enjoy the weekend there at the same time!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

That's an interesting comment about the 10-mile pace. In retrospect my own recent block had a similar exclusion (but with regular strides for the turnover work) and I didn't miss it one bit

All the best for the race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Best of luck in Amsterdam. Hope it goes really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

Best of luck tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

All the very very best. May the running gods be on your side.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭babacool

Only catching up on this now. Best of luck in Amsterdam. Defo aiming for that myself at some stage so looking forward to hear the “water distribution” over there 🙂. Bottles, sponge or unusable (sorry reusable) cups. 😁.

also the “2 days of carb depletion” and then restocking. Interesting…. Hope this will work out for you!

out of curiosity, what did you do in regards to iron intake? Supplements or just certain foods?

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭marathon2022

A bit late but good luck, hope your running well. Another couple of hours to the finish

Fantastic run, well done

They used cups, filled about a third of the way. I just pinched the top and drank a mouthful, it was grand. They also had sponges and these were amazing in the last 15k as I began to overheat.

Won't do the carb depletion again, felt like I was stuffing my face Thur, Fri, Sat and didn't enjoy that at all.

With regards the iron, I took galfor twice a day and was eating red meat about 4 times a week. I cut down on the meat on race week and went to one tablet as I broke out in a rash behind my ears and on my temples. Not sure if it was an iron overdose or sth else that caused it.

I'm back to two tablets a day from this week and will add red meat back to the diet but on those days, I'll just take one tablet.

Thanks everyone for the support and a big thanks to @Murph_D and his super Chicago race report. I had saved it for the airplane journey over and when things got tough, especially the last 3k, all I wanted was the same satisfaction as Murph had by going sub 3'20 but boy did we do it in contrasting ways!

Had a couple of nice jogs on the Friday and Saturday, legs felt great, just the left calf let me know that it might want to interfere with my race plan.

I threw some kinsei tape on it and wore a compression sleeve, which I had worn on the flight over.

I was way more relaxed for this marathon than any other, I kept asking myself why? Did I care enough?

Yes I did, on the start line I was raring to go and with that enthusiasm I decided to abandon my 7'20 per mile pace and go with 7'10s, I wanted a sub 3'10.

I averaged 7'10s for the first 10 miles - 1'11'35 but the tail section of the course was met with a head wind. @Sandwell has mentioned that he didn't really notice it but he was running a far smarter race. The fact I did feel it was because I was working too hard and it was only now that the heart rate confirmed as much.

Up to that point, heart rate was fine but I hadn't any bounce in the legs and I noticed that lack of bounce pretty much from the start but didn't pay it any attention.

Halfway in 1'35 but pace was starting to drop. In Seville the miles passed effortlessly, today not so much and the real slog began. I still had thoughts of making 3'15 but at 20 miles these were abandoned - 2'26'01

I also stopped here and walked for the first time, a minute to be precise. The bargaining had started - "If you stand any chance of sub 3'20, you need to get your heart rate under control, just have a little walk" I didn't know if I was fooling myself.

The support throughout this marathon was unreal and I had my name shouted at least a 100 times.

Another short walk at mile 23, there may have been one more walk but I don't really remember.

At mile 24 we're back at Vondelpark and this is where my left hamstring threatens to cramp, same point as Seville but today I'm ready for it and immediately start running backwards, it worked, kept the cramp at bay, I turned back around and was aware I couldn't pick up the pace. This happened a couple of more times throughout the park.

I've roughly worked out the maths and realise sub 3'20 is still possible, I think of Murph's race report and how delighted he was with his sub 3'20, I wanted that same feeling desperately.

125 meters to go and I look at my watch and think I've got this, I up the pace some more and BANG, left hammy goes, I grimace, clench my fist and shout my way to the finish line (captured below 😅),

refusing to keel over as I did in Seville or to be more accurate keel over on the finish line, a volunteer immediately rushed over to me and helped me stretch it out for about 5 minutes - 3'19'21 (10 minute positive split)

I feel a bit like our Government "lessons will be learnt" - this is my 9th marathon and although its still a near 6 minute PB, it was a lousy, stupid performance that I was lucky to get away with.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Great report and congrats on the 3'19 and PB. Brilliant result even if the execution could have been better - it just means you know what to improve for next time!

I've never heard of running backwards for cramps before, handy trick to have in the pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Wow those photos are making me grimace with pain. How is the recovery going?

Love the honesty in the report - no sugar coating the mistakes made. A great result all the same! Congrats on the sub 3:20 and big PB. Enjoy, learn, recover 😊

• Advertisement

Thanks guys, already looking forward to another, might suggest recovery is going well 😅

Won't run till Thursday, calves, quads and hammies all a little tender.

”won’t run til Thursday” 😁 love that as you probably meant this Thursday and I’m thinking to myself “I wouldn’t run til Thursday 2 weeks time” 😁. Well done on a sub 3:20!

Haha, yep this Thursday but 30 minute tester is all and I'll take Friday and Sunday off.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Well done, great race report and a smashing result. Pics are class, well by class I mean you look in severe pain and sums up the effort!

Just looked at your run up to the marathon. That’s some volume the day prior to it 😁. I wouldn’t dare doing that volume. Makes the time even more impressive

Fantastic and well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Great report. It’s a shame it didn’t go as smoothly as you’d hoped but glad the recovery is going well. Those photos really capture the pain. Hope it didn’t take too long to ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

It is certainly a very entertaining and dramatic report, D, and thanks for the kind mention!😀

Obviously you've admitted the error and there's no point twisting the knife, but I can't believe your start-line decision making, to be honest. Hopefully it's a lesson learned. You had a plan, then it changed radically (5 mins!) at the last minute. You'd have to have been in some shape to pull that off.

Great that you got the PB though - you were lucky enough to have managed that.

Recover well.

Recovery going well, plenty of sleep, protein and walking.

Oct 17th, 18th, 19th - Rest

Thursday 20th - First run back was a gentle 5 miler 9'17 mile pace, hip flexors and quads still a tad sore.

Friday 21st - Rest

Saturday 22nd - 5 miles at 8'33 pace, HR ok but definitely didn't want to go quicker

Sunday 23rd - A little over 10 miles with a buddy, he had his last real session of note 3x10 mins at MP. We ran around 5 miles on the course from Bushy to Clonskeagh, didn't turn on to Roebuck.

He'd go into his effort and do his recovery jog back to me, we'd chat a little and repeat.

Nice runabout 8'11 pace, legs feeling stronger again.

• Advertisement

Tuesday 25th - 9k including Nutley Lane to the marathon finish

Wed - Rest

Thursday 27th - 8k with 100 meter strides sprinkled throughout, felt good.

Fri - Rest

Sat 29th - 2k, watch acted up, so just wanted confirmation it was in working order.

Sunday 30th of October - Dublin City Marathon

I had no reason being on the start line, however I just couldn't resist. I'd no idea how my legs were going to respond and the angle I would take, is one of experimentation. I felt zero pressure.

Race week I decided to load up on beetroot juice, won't do this again.

Also loaded up on creatine, 5g for 5 days. The reason for this was more part of a hydration strategy, as the body stores more water with it.

I also made my own energy drinks with dextrose and electrolyte powder, I wanted to make them more isotonic.

I also went with the sis 22g isotonic gels over the 40g betafuel that I'd taken in Amsterdam. The result would be 150g worth of carbs consumed in Dublin compared with Amsterdam's 280g.

The big question though, can I run a quicker time than Amsterdam by running a smarter race?

I started just in front of the 3'20 pacers (Amsterdam 3'19). I had 2 friends beside me both targeting a similar time.

I led the first two miles 7'22 & 7'22. Met @robinph had a brief chat, fist bump and wished him well.

My running partners took over the pacing for the next few miles and I was constantly telling them to ease up. I needed to get my fractions right, miles 3-6 were 7'41, 7'26, 7,26, 7'32.

Leaving the park and up Castleknock I decided to let them go, I knew we were marginally too quick, mile 7 - 7'35.

Miles 8-10 I had planned to run a little quick and take advantage of their net downhill 7'14, 7'20 & 7'04. I actually felt ok and far better at this point than in Amsterdam but my heart rate was a tad high and I was certainly sweating more than usual.

Inchicore to Crumlin however, was my undoing, those couple of short but sharp hills after Chapelizod had ruined my rhythm, miles 11-14 were 7'35, 7'25, 7'27 & 7'49.

I knew the experiment was over at this stage but I had my wife and kids waiting for me on Fortified road, I still pulled off miles 15-16 in 7'40 & 7'39.

I loved seeing my family and got a jolt of energy, miles 17-18 in 7'44 & 7'37

One of my daughters caught this snap and what's funny is that for the first 10 miles, I thought the shouts for Superman were for me, my singlet colour scheme is based on the Kryptonian but turns out the shouts were for the other guy on the right :-)

Although the jig was up, my average pace was still marginally quicker than Amsterdam. I also had one more friend to see in Rathgar. I was though planning my exit route and when I saw my friend I alluded to the fact it's only a matter of time before dnf'ing, mile 19 - 8'03.

I had zero issues in not finishing, nothing to prove, no interest in the medal, got what I wanted from the experiment and had a bit of fun doing so. After Orwell Park I'll go left instead of right and make my way back to RCSI off Stephen's Green to collect my belongings.

The spanner in the works on Orwell was one of my starting companions, he was struggling badly and I could see he needed cajoling.

His marathon PB is 3'41, the 3'20 pacers were yet to pass and I started thinking maybe a 3'25 would be a realistic finish time but within minutes he was walking.

The 3'20 pacers went by us at the top of Milltown but there was zero chance of SP getting on that train.

I was feeling good again, HR back into easy zone but accepted my fate as a crutch for the next 10k.

The remaining miles 20-26 were 8'24, 9'43, 9'58, 11'49, 10'10, 9'47, 9'52.

He went into cramp dozens of times, I had to massage/punch his hamstring each time. I felt so sorry for him because his training had gone so well, 88 minutes for the half marathon, he'd put huge effort into it but at 6ft5 and 100kg, it looks like the heat and humidity were his undoing.

He still ran a 5 minute PB, we crossed the line in 3'36 but not sure he's overly happy.

Our other starting buddy held it together and ran a 37 minute PB with a 3'18.

It's actually my 3rd fastest marathon but I definitely would have been ok with dnf'ing.

My takeaways,

1. For a marathon you need a certain selfishness and I'll start solo from now on, I can't help thinking that miles 3 to 6 contributed to my elevated HR.

2. Two weeks is not enough recovery between marathons.

3. Quite happy with my reduced fueling

4. Do not like the Dublin route

Advertisement