Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

A great run, well done. The HR was kept going by the looks of it. You hit supersonic speed in mile 5 too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Yeah my heart rate felt high during the whole run, I think it was the combination of a few things, the effort at the start of the run,the wind and I did try push it but the legs were not having any of it.

Out the door just before 8 this morning, felt tough probably because of Fridays effort. The day felt lovely, red skys and the way the light was shining across to ringsend from the mountains and I think this brought alot of runners out this morning as we ruled the streets and everyone said hello. 14 miles were called for but I cut it to
    12.2 miles in 1 hour 49, pace 8:59
    Average HR 73%
    Resting HR when I woke this moring 45 beats per minute.

Trying to reshuffle this week in order to be off xmas day and race on Stephens day, so instead of a day off, I did 5 miles at recovery. This will be followed by 10 tomorrow instead of 8 and 5 on Wednesday. I have to keep plugging away this week or I fear putting on weight, especially with the amount of mince pies I'm eating :pac:

5.05 miles in 42:17, pace 8:22
    Average HR 73%

Dear David,

Thanks for taking part in our study at the Dublin Marathon. We will be presenting some of the data at the American College of Sports Medicine annual conference next year and this will be followed up with a full publication. If you would like a copy of these when they are published please let me know. From the data we collected for you it appears that you were very well hydrated before the race as your urine osmolality was 100 mOsmol/kg (normal range – 500-800). However, during the race you became quite dehydrated, finishing at 383 mOsmol/kg. This resulted in your weight loss expressed as a % of your body weight being 2.9%. Unfortunately we don’t seem to have any food and fluid intake data for you so I can’t comment on your fluid consumption. This dehydration is probably ok during this race as the research suggests that performance begins to be impaired when dehydration leads to a weight loss above 2% of body weight but up to that point you are getting lighter and therefore are becoming a more economical runner. However, remember that the average temperature during this marathon was only about 10 degrees (actually close to optimum for endurance performance) so you may need to adjust your plans for fluid intake according to the environmental conditions.

If you have any questions you think I can help you with in regard to your training or nutritional strategies please feel free to ask.

Thanks for your time in taking part,

Andy.

3143906058_0a77843ac8.jpg

My two after their first ever race at the streets of Wicklow. The 3 year old loved every second of it and gave it her all even beating the 5 tear old at one stage. The 5 year old had a bit of a nightmare, she was looking forward to it but the second it started, she started to cry and wouldn't stop, I asked her did she want to stop running and walk but no she wanted to do it but just wanted to cry from start to finish, I reckon I looked like one of those pushy dads and I certainly got a few stares from other parents :) but fair play to the organisers the medals and goody bags they got were fantastic and we will be back next year. I didn't run as we wanted to make the day about the kids and not daddy and another race.

On the training front a combination of laziness and an old ankleinjury have led to very little being done.

11.28 miles in 1 hour 39, pace 8:47

It was suppose to be a 15 miler but between having to go for a crap since, well pretty much the start of the run and also my ankle was really hurting, I turnes on this ankle a few years back and it caused me great trouble and I was told at the time that this would cause problems in the future if I persisted with football but I didn't think running would cause any inflamation, I reckon that hellfire club run did the damage as any hint of a hill today put strain on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 gardatrafficop

dungarvan 10 mile road race sunday 1st feb HQ Quanns sports centre dungarvan

pre regeister at west waterford ac web site just type it into google and you will get it

i entered me and my brother in law all ready up to 300 entered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

They still look proud of their medals! I'll be running with mine next year - she'll be over 3 then

I wasn't sure if that was you I saw running along side your girls as I was warming up.
    Expecting to see you at the start and the finish but didn't see you so thought it was not you then.

Ankle seems fine, I did the whole RICE thing and took some ibrufon.
    9.45 miles in 75:41, pace 8:01
    Average HR 82%

I was hoping for 10 miles but had to hurry home to the toilet again.

5.07 recovery miles in 44:58, pace 8:52
    Average HR 72%

My thoughts on the year:
    Delighted that I'm back in the swing of things and that running is now a big part of my weekly schedule. Only 1 real pb this year and that was the Dublin marathon in 3:37. Also I'm happy to have found a community to share my running experiences with (my wife is also glad for this) :D .

My thoughts for 2009:
    I would love to pb in all race distances but most importantly a sub 3 hour marathon in Berlin. I plan on running more mountain race and x country. I want to dip my feet in the dicipline of triathlon, so that means learning to swim properly and to spend more time on the bike. I will concentrate on a bit of weights and also I have to finally start eating correctly and shifting the excess 20 lbs or so. Finally I would love to see both Boards AC and Boards IT going from strenght to strenght and competing with and against each other in all types of races.

Current PB
    5K 20:10 2002 20:42 2008
    4M 25:56 2002
    5M 33:49 2002 35:04 2008
    10M 69:17 2002 75:?? 2008
    Marathon 3:37:45 2008

These 2 should be easily beat :D
    1/2 marathon 1:48:00 2008
    10K 54:52 2008

Tomorrows race: who cares about time, I just want to start the year the way I want to go on.
    Happy new year to all and thanks to evrybody who contributed to my log and threads as without your help I probably would have thrown in the towel by now ;)

Woke up this morning after a few beers last night and was really looking forward to racing today. I didn't feel any pressure on myself to get sub 20 as I hadn't put in the work and I have eaten an extra 1/2 stone of weight over xmas. I still stuck on my racers and felt quite bouncy in them. I then did a small warm up with Babybing and headed to the start feeling relaxed. I made a decision to only have the time on the display of my watch and to do away with the lap pace and HR. I went through the first 1K in 3:55 and was delighted as I felt good, I missed the 2K marker so I didn't know how I was fixed. At this point a sportsworld runner went by me and I know he did sub 20 in the Rathfarnham 5K, so I figured I was doing alright. Through the 3K mark in 12:05 but I felt I could make this up in the end if I could just maintain this pace. Through 4K in 16:15 and I was thinkin Ah crap but I still felt good and I could still see the sportsworld runner in front of me, I told myself when the watch goes to 18:30 I'll pick up the pace and hopefully make it up. Very happy with my performance and my kick at the end which saw me pass approx 8 people including the sportsworld guy but it wasn't enough. I finished in 20:10 and equalled my PB of 2002. So all in all I'm happy, I'm knocking louder on the door of sub 20 and it's a great way to start the new year.
    http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7363376

5K in 20:10, pace 6:26
    Average HR 89% which suggests I didn't push hard enough.
    Log race points 653

One last thing, someone came over to me to say hello, I think you ran 17 mins but I didn't catch your name, let me know who you are so I can look out for you next time, I think I was alittle preoccupied with getting my breath back and giving Robinph a blow by blow account of the race :D

Results are up 20:07 which means new PB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Great start to the new year Woddle, well done. Bodes very well for the rest of the year and that sub-3 in Berlin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Well done Woddle, yep great way to start the new year :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Well done Woddle. With an average heart rate touching your max though you'll have to rename your blog to something like running can be damn hard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

good stuff Woddle, nice running

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Great running, bring that form into your next few races and there could be a few good scalps for you to take

Cheers everybody. I'm well chuffed and really looking forward to Raheny 5 were I'll be hoping to pb (under 33:49).
    Today same route as Wednesday and identical figures
    5.07 in 44:49, pace 8:50
    Average HR 72%

3160774560_cdd5edc28b.jpg
    Cheers robinph, I took the least fat looking one, as you'll see I'm wearing my racers which is a bit of a laugh in itself. There a pound lighter than my brooks but were is the logic when you put on 7 pounds over the holidays :D

Had to do my long run today as I'm suppose to be going to a 30th tonight. I got out the door at 7 and decided to create a new route as I had to pick my wifes car up from Goatstown. So I headed out to Stephens Green and back up and around Terenure before setting out to Stillorgan and then down to Goatstown. It was a very enjoyable run and I got to see the city waking up which is something I haven't seen in a long time. I was suppose to do 17 but I have been playing catch up on my long runs, nearly caught up with the schedule.
    15 miles in 2 hours 8 mins, pace 8:35
    Average HR 72%
    http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7380626

38 miles for the week which I'm happy with and it's time to step it up a notch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Great stuff Woddle that's an early start, I'm only getting ready to head out now.

Odysseus wrote: »
    Great stuff Woddle that's an early start, I'm only getting ready to head out now.

Cheers Odysseus. For my long runs I have to get out early or It's quite likely I won't go and it's nice to have it over and done with so I can enjoy the day with the kids and wife. And also it's nice having the roads to yourself , this is why I actually prefer doing it on a Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Hi Woddle, well done on the 5k PB. Great way to start the new year. Looking forward to meeting you guys for a chat again soon. I should be out for the BHAA race on the 17th even if it is as a spectator.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

stmochtas wrote: »
    Hi Woddle, well done on the 5k PB. Great way to start the new year. Looking forward to meeting you guys for a chat again soon. I should be out for the BHAA race on the 17th even if it is as a spectator.
    Speaking of chats maybe a boards AC beer should be on the cards..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

shels4ever wrote: »
    Speaking of chats maybe a boards AC beer should be on the cards..

there's an idea ! Maybe beers/diet seven ups after the Christmas excess :D

By the way Woddle what event are you training for specifically ? I notice you say day X of 127 etc

Paris marathon, I hope I did the maths properly :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Congrats on your PB Woddle. Great start to new year.

Decided to create a new route for myself. I never seem to head east, so off towards sanyford I headed and I felt great first couple of miles. I was floating around at 7:30 pace but it didn't feel like it. A dog attacked me at the m50 entrance at sandyford, he started to catch up with me, fast little fcuker, so I turned around all ready to kick him in the head but after a game of handbags at 5 paces he backed off. As the run was finishing I started to hate it and really wanted it to end and when I walked in the door my dinner was wating which made everything worth it. Oh and on a different note my wife is thinking of putting up her own log, titled The frustrated wife of a runner. Tongue and cheek me thinks. :D
    11.13 miles in 91:31, pace 8:08
    Average HR 82%
    http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7399414

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Good going Woddle, yer flying along!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Woddle wrote: »
    Oh and on a different note my wife is thinking of putting up her own log, titled The frustrated wife of a runner. Tongue and cheek me thinks. :D

Been there. Run, chocolate, wine, flowers, repeat.:)

Went to pizza hut with the kids, there last treat before going back to school, so to make up for it
    5.2 miles in 43:58, pace 8:27
    Average HR 73 %

I went indoor football after and as I wake up this morning, I've decided to knock it on the head for a while. I got too many kicks and I ended up landing on my knee and hip aswell as also turning on my ankle. So way too many aches this morning. I have been playing in this group of indoor football for 13/14 years now but a break is needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭Peckham

Woddle wrote: »
    I went indoor football after and as I wake up this morning, I've decided to knock it on the head for a while.

Still don't understand how some of you play football when in training. I'd be petrified of taking knocks that impact on running....and I'm rubbish at football!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

I suspected it all along but here's the proof - running does destroy friendships...

Advertisement