Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

christeb wrote: »
    I suspected it all along but here's the proof - running does destroy friendships...

Forget friendship, it was my dad who nailed me at the end and put me on the floor :mad: I told my mam on him though :D

Was going to take it easy but on the 1000 mile challenge I can see a few getting away from me, so jumped on the treadmill ( did not fancy going out in the cold) and decided to use this session as a platform to gauge my fitness. Idecided on a 1 mile warm up and then 6x 1/2 mile. The first one was done in 3:14 and the last in 3:00 (treadmill only goes to 10mph), now I plan on doing the same session in 3 weeks and what I'll be looking for is a better recovery time between reps. I waited today between each rep, till my HR went under 100 beats, this ranged from 1:30 at the first to 3:54 at the last. I decided to pick a 100 bpm as I want to be fresh for tomorrows session.

Schedule called for 8 miles, so 8 miles it was. I felt quite good starting the run and was ticking along nicely at 7:50 pace for the first 5 miles and then wack, the legs just felt tired and finished the last 3 in about 8:50 pace.

8 miles in 66:03, pace 8:15
    Average HR 79%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Peckham wrote: »
    Still don't understand how some of you play football when in training. I'd be petrified of taking knocks that impact on running....and I'm rubbish at football!

+1 on this also except I am a brilliant footballer....................., eh well that's a lie actually, I'm pretty rubbish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

+1 on this also except I am a brilliant footballer....................., eh well that's a lie actually, I'm pretty rubbish

i was what you would call a great "off the ball footballer" i made killer runs into space etc...just fantastic without the ball.
    until a team mate had the cheek to pass me the ball...thats when the trouble started:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭getfit

Woddle wrote: »
    Schedule called for 8 miles, so 8 miles it was. I felt quite good starting the run and was ticking along nicely at 7:50 pace for the first 5 miles and then wack, the legs just felt tired and finished the last 3 in about 8:50 pace.

8 miles in 66:03, pace 8:15
    Average HR 79%

Hi Woddle.

Great to see the training going so well. Quick question on how you calculate the Av HR. I have come across 2 methods
    1. % of Max HR - so for me with a max of 195, 79% is 154...
    2. more complicated version >>> Max HR - resting HR (195-50 = 145)
    Then multiply the result >> 145 by 79% = 114 and add back on the resting HR >> 50+114 = 164

• Advertisement

Hi getfit, I use method 2, it's suppose to be more accurate. Take a look here at Krustys excel link, he gave it to me a few months back and I've been using it since http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055456854

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭getfit

I go with method 2 also, but I have to admit it's not because the formula is considered more accurate, but because it allows me to run faster at a given %!... Silly, I know. 75% on method 1 is 147bpm, whereas 75% on method 2 is 159BPM

Just had a look at Krustys link, very tidy spreadsheet...

Good luck with the training, you're going great.

South Dublin county council 4 mile xc
    I woke this morning not really in the humour for a race, just felt tired and the wind that I could hear wasn't helping.
    I realised with 5 mins from the start that I forgot to put my HR monitor on, this annoyed me from the start. My plan was to go slow for the first mile and see how I felt. So I tucked into the middle of the pack and ran easy but what concerned me was Gerard65 was just in front of me, so why was it feeling easy. I heard the watch beep after mile 1 and it was 6:34 (I,m a nob head, too fcuking quick again) but it felt good so I kept it going but after a 1.5 miles lethargy kicked in and I slowed right down and I was happy to, miles 2, 3 and 4 were 7:00, 7:12 and 7:13 respectively. I didn't really care about how I performed in the race but decided to give the finishing straight a bash and covered 190m in 39 seconds.

So 4.14 miles in 28:40, pace 6:57
    http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7423179
    http://bhaa.ie/mediagallery/media.php?f=1&sort=0&s=20090111113830100
    So looking back now it wasn't too bad a run considering the wind and the fact that it was xc(good flatish course though). I reckon with tapering slightly, I'm going to run well in Raheny.

ignore posted twice by accident

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

If you think you're a knob head, I headed out there to take a few pictures and realised when I got there I'd forgotten my memory card. The internal memory of the camera stored no more than 13 pictures...grrrrr

Good race, looked fairly cold out there but the course seemed to be fairly decent. I'm racing in Tymon next weekend, so I also wanted to see what the course was like as well as take a few pictures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

good stuff woddle and great time
    i wouldnt worry too much about pacing im sure you will get it right for raheny , you should run a big race there

Good race, looked fairly cold out there but the course seemed to be fairly decent. I'm racing in Tymon next weekend, so I also wanted to see what the course was like as well as take a few pictures.

I reckon next weeks course will be slightly different. I wouldn't be surprised if they bring you up the hill beside the foot bridge. I don't know if you know it but it's a little ba$tard

If you think you're a knob head, I headed out there to take a few pictures and realised when I got there I'd forgotten my memory card. The internal memory of the camera stored no more than 13 pictures...grrrrr

Ok you win :D

This was my toughest run since Dublin marathon. The wind was brutal and it blew me all over the place for nearly 2 and a half hours. The only respite I got was 3 miles in marlay park. I nearly didn't get out of bed when the alarm went at 6:45 but believe it or not the 1000 mile challenge got me up and I was out of the house by 7:30. I was meant to do 18 but I had had enough of that wind and I cursed it quite a few times. I started thinking during the run that if the day of the Paris marathon was windy like today that I wouldn't bother doing it.

16.1 miles in 2 hours 26, pace 9:07
    Average HR 71%

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭kevinkilbane

well done woddle, fair play to ya up that early this morning. im just flicking through the pics of yesterday. i am looking awful ha, the head on me. im looking forward to next saturday. im on my way out the door now to do two miles, who knows, might even break 40minutes next week ha

I've been laid out on the couch ever since :D , I think you could probably do with a pair of spikes for next week, I had a look at the pics earlier aswell and they caught me wretching in one of them, I put the link to it in my previous post. Well done yourself , tough race to come back from xmas gluttony and Austria

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭kevinkilbane

the couch is the best place for a day like this. i went on a two mile round my estate, 16.06, terrible, my pb for it is 13.43 which i got in december, before jingle bells. i dont know what happened in the last 4weeks... ah sure i can only improve. i even got lucky, the rain stopped, n the wind wasnt as bad a earlier.

and i think ill have to get spikes during the week, gerard65 told me about jjb in the square that theyre going cheap. and also ill have to get new runners soon, end of the month probably. i usually go to mick dowlings sportworld. where you get yours? or is that already been asked in a different forum?

well hold off till Tuesday or Wednesday for the runners as I'll be talking to someone about pearl izumi and I'll get you a price. You'll be flying in a week or 2 sure didn't I let you beat me in jingle bells :D

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭stipes212

what race is on next week. Is it in Tymon. BHAA race in Cherryfield, on Firhouse rd.

stipes212 wrote: »
    what race is on next week. Is it in Tymon. BHAA race in Cherryfield, on Firhouse rd.

Yep 5 miles xc but I'm also planning on doing the IMRA Howth race the following day.
    If it's as good a turnout as last weeks xc, we're in for another good race.
    As regards being in Tymon park, I'm not sure, I think theroadrunner implied that it was but I had been under the impression it was just down the road in Cherryfield

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭stipes212

thanks for that. If it is the BHAA, its defo in Cherryfield

• Advertisement

While trying to loose a few pounds I decided to keep an excel worksheet to calculate my calory intake.
    So my findings for the week are; If I want to stay the exact same weight I need to eat 16702 calories, calories burned while running 6736 which gives a net total of 9966 calories. So if 3500 calories is a pound that means I need to consume 13202 calories a week or 1800 a day and continue running a 50 mile week. I'll continue to keep a food diary and let you know next Monday whether I have lost any weight or not.

As regards being in Tymon park, I'm not sure, I think theroadrunner implied that it was but I had been under the impression it was just down the road in Cherryfield

Sorry I may have confused the issue. There is a 10k cross country (Leinster champs) on in Tymon Park on the Sunday. The BHAA race is on in Cherryfield on the Saturday as has been pointed out

I probably wasn't paying attention, I'm easily distracted , thanks for clearing it up.

5 recovery miles on the treadmill while watching the wire
    5 miles in 44:23, pace 8:53
    Average HR 68%

Good news today, I got in to Ballycotton, which is the race I'm using to give me a rough guide of what I'll be capable of in Paris.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

5 recovery miles on the treadmill while watching the wire
    5 miles in 44:23, pace 8:53
    Average HR 68%

Good news today, I got in to Ballycotton, which is the race I'm using to give me a rough guide of what I'll be capable of in Paris.
    I didnt get in :( .. but not too pushed now.. so is that 53 races for you this year now? ;)

Hard luck, that's a bit of a shame as there seems to be a good few of us in.
    It makes 43 for the year but I'll add a few and get rid of a few, I'm sure :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭Peckham

:eek: 43! :eek:

Are you not really concerned about injury? How are you going to fit in marathon training LSRs given the recovery/taper time needed for these races (albeit short races). In particular the volume of IMRA running.

I ran 3 races last year (Longford half, Dublin marathon, BHAA BOI beach race)! Am aiming to fit in more this year, but no way will I do that many!

:D It's more of a races I would like to do kind of worksheet, I'll do as many as I can but the Berlin marathon training will be very serious and avoiding injury will be goal number 1. I actually booked myself a physio app for Friday as a precaution, get a bit of a massage and see whether theres any stiffness that needs sorting better to go now than wait for something to happen I figure and make sure the IT band is still ok.
    Trying to get lsr runs in is already causing a few headaches with my first 20 coming the day after Raheny but raheny is one of my goal races also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

It is a fricken lot of races!!

Personally, if I race I don't have a long run that week. Regardless of the distance of the race, the day after will never be more than 5 miles. I know there are people out there that can race and do a long run the next day - I'm just not one of them. Sure there are nut jobs running 20 miles on Saturday and Sunday...

I don't know too much about the distances of the IMRA races, but I'm sure if you did them at your long run pace with a good warm up and warm down they'd substitute nicely for a long run that week. Another thing you could do with all them races is use some of them as your speedwork for the week - ie at tempo pace. This way you wouldn't taper at all for them and do your long run two days afterwards - I don't think its a great idea to do a speedwork session followed by a long run - back to back hard days could lead to injury if you're not ready for them. The goal races get treated as races. Taper, race pace, recover, no long run.

That's my two cents worth anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Well I like to race a lot too. To be honest most my races are only tempo runs as i'm not capable or racing 5 mile yet.

So each week a race is in place of my tempo run, but with Belfast marathon I will maybe race twice in the 6 weeks before as i need to focus on the log runs.

Once thats over I hope to change my training to more speed focused and race lots of 2 mile 5k's over the summer..

Once you hit your peak you will race less and less and target races etc. But getting to your peak would be helped by tempo runs as you body needs to learn how to run fast.. and the only way to do that is by running fast.

Well thats jsut my thinking..

Advertisement