Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

shels4ever wrote: »
    Once thats over I hope to change my training to more speed focused and race lots of 2 mile 5k's over the summer..

I would guess you are planning to take on the Raheny 2 mile series this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

stmochtas wrote: »
    I would guess you are planning to take on the Raheny 2 mile series this year.
    Yep main focus for my summer. have target times in mind ;)..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Schedule called for 10 with 5 @10 mile race pace but the fact I'm possibly doing 2 races on the weekend I decided I would do them a little slower and averaged 7:40 for the 5 and then just enjoyed the last 5, lovely night for a run but I wasn't in the humour and had actually fallen asleep on the couch with a nice fire but when putting the kids to bed I just said fcek it and out I went and I really enjoyed it.

After all my moaning regarding indoor football last week, I still went, my uncle who I would normally give a lift to couldn't get another one, so off I went, legs are nackered and I'm going to enjoy my rest day tomorrow. I'm doing a 4 day on and 1 day off and I want to stick to this as best I can, as sometimes a day off for me can turn into 2 or 3.

10 miles in 83:13, pace 8:19
    Average HR 77%

5.1 miles in 45:14, pace 8:51
    Average HR 71%

I have decided to take today and tomorrow handy because I'm going to give Saturdays race a good bash and try pace myself better ahead of Raheny next week.
    Looking back over my training last year and my most consistant training came back in July when I covered 117 miles in 3 weeks and I reckon these last two weeks and the one to come are going to top that, 93 miles already, so main priority is to stay consistant. Physio app tomorrow.
    My new runners came Adistar control 5 and they look deadly, it was nearly a shame going out for a run in them, might get another pair for style as they look deadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Woddle wrote: »
    Looking back over my training last year and my most consistant training came back in July when I covered 117 miles in 3 weeks and I reckon these last two weeks and the one to come are going to top that, 93 miles already, so main priority is to stay consistant.

Has you 1000 mile challenge anything to do with this ????? It's a craze that has gripped the Boards nation :)

• Advertisement

It has indeed but it's serving one of the purposes it was intended for and thats consistancy, when I look back over my log and in paticular the build up for the 3 marathons a typical month would be 16, 53, 20, 35
    I really didn't have a notion but I'm certainly learning alot from all the more experinced runners, yourself included and this is helping me to train better and I can't believe I'm even thinking of going sub 70 in Dungarvan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Whats your PB for 10 miles Woddle? The dedication you're showing to your training will hopefully get rewarded by a new one in Dungarvan.

Cheers SJ 69:17 back in 2002 at the cityswift and I was 24 lbs lighter, it just shows how bad my training was back then and I should have stayed with a club instead of trying 1 for a couple of months.

It has indeed but it's serving one of the purposes it was intended for and thats consistancy, when I look back over my log and in paticular the build up for the 3 marathons a typical month would be 16, 53, 20, 35

Yeah that was something that was pointed out to me by a very good runner in my club. Some weeks I use to hit 50 miles the next 30 then 60 then maybe 20 etc etc. His theory was it was easy enough to run 50 miles in a week as a once off. But try do 10 weeks of that is way harder. He told me I would be better hitting 35 miles a week consistently so that's what I did and slowly built it up from there. You are definitely on the right track in my opinion

Treadmill, 5 miles in 44 mins, pace 8:48
    Average HR 70%

The 3 year old tormented me throughout this and made it an annoying run. Went to the physio and she gave me the kick up the ass I needed to get me back into the exercises she had previously given to me. I had a few knots in my IT band and in my right lower back which had caused me a bit of annoyance during my long run last Sunday. So I need to start paying attention to the little things and hopefully this will help me improve my times on top of my new consistant training approach. Weight is at 162 lbs now since I started monitoring it on a spreadsheet, thats 3 lbs now in about 11 days :D

• Advertisement

A shocking race for me personally today, if it was football, I would have been taken of in the first half. I wouldn't mind I felt good, I did a 1 mile warm up followed by strides and stretching but for some reason when the starter went I just didn't feel it and Robinph went by quite easily, at that stage I was trying to hold back at 7 min pace and then try build on it. I passed ND1978 early on and I could still see Robinph but shortly after that ND1978 went passed me and he never looked back, I thought about going after him but I think I was afraid to and I started looking for excuses to drop out. The weather was windy and spitting rain but was manageable. My back had a little fatigue feeling going on but in the end I kept going but I did loose all interest in the race till the end when I gave it a burst and finished well. I don't really know what came over me, I don't like xc as it is but theres no excuse for todays run :mad:
    I just better sort it out before Raheny next week but I don't think that will be much of a problem as I much prefer the road.
    1 mile warm up 8:42
    4.81 miles in 34:33, pace 7:10
    Average HR 89%
    http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7462963

4.81 miles in 34:33, pace 7:10
    I clocked it a 4.93 miles. Just as well you didn't win a team prize today. I would have to put an official complaint in against you for cutting corners :D

The thought of cutting corners occurred to me alright, staright back to the car :D . This race actually put me in bad form for the afternoon, so annoyed at my effort. I had a look at the results, a fantastic run from yourself well done, is Raheny on your agenda or will you do next weeks bhaa

Cheers. Yeah will do Raheny next week but will probably skip the BHAA race after that. Trying to do marathon training and racing is very tiring. Was very happy with my race thanks.

I found it hard to get out of bed this morning but finally got up at 7:30 and was out the door by 8
    15.1 miles in 2:08:58, pace 8:32
    Average HR 76%
    I felt very tired throughout all this run but I'm happy I got the 15 done. Next week will be an easy week as I want to PB in Raheny. Day off tomorrow and the 4 days on 1 day off is working a treat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I found it hard to get out of bed this morning but finally got up at 7:30 and was out the door by 8
    15.1 miles in 2:08:58, pace 8:32
    Average HR 76%
    I felt very tired throughout all this run but I'm happy I got the 15 done. Next week will be an easy week as I want to PB in Raheny. Day off tomorrow and the 4 days on 1 day off is working a treat.
    That's some serious mileage you're putitng in Woddle. Are you still following a P&D program, or are you mostly winging it?

That's some serious mileage you're putitng in Woddle. Are you still following a P&D program, or are you mostly winging it?

Hi Krusty hope you had a nice break. I'm following it as best I can, I reckon I'm doing about 90% of P&D, the 10% winging it is trying to shuffle long runs and races on the same weekend. The last 2 Saturdays I have raced xc and I have only been able to do 16 & 15 miles on the following Sunday before I get too nackered. The training I have done though already is far better than any training I did building up to last years marathons, so onwards and upwards. Are you still doing Raheny?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭kevinkilbane

well done yesterday and today woddle. youll be flying in raheny!
    i finally installed microsoft office, so if ya can, could ya send on the things for excel, thanks.

i saw the pics of yesterday 5mile, its so funny, the face on me, but im glad i beat him at the line, i didnt see the results, but im guessing there was only a second between us.

i got out today, went to marley, did two laps, i thought i was going fast, but 2laps, 30mins 32secs. not happy with that time but i feel fitter than two weeks ago

Click on training logs and then everybodies log will appear, then look at where it says running is easy and there will be an attachment symbol, click on it and logrun will come up and you should be able to download it. When you have it installed you might need the password which is the word dead, let me know if you get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭kevinkilbane

yep, got it grand, im just filling in all the details, start is last saturday 4miler, ive got alot to fill in. this will help in a big way.
    also ill be starting the book tonight, and reading it in work all the time, looking forward to getting more info, im sure that will help too

• Advertisement

Are you still doing Raheny?
    Yep. Still planning on it. Kind of regret not doing any 5 mile runs in preparation, but sure I'll just wing it. If I have time, I might call out during the week and give the circuit a quick run. What time are you aiming for?

8.2 miles in 66:45, pace 8:10
    Average HR 76%

I did 1 mile @ 6:45 to see how it felt and it felt OK. The kids were of school today with colds so hoping they wont pass it on.

Good running Woddle. You could try Echinacea. Supposed to boost your immune system and reduce your chance of catching a cold by half.

5 mile fartlek in 36:12, pace 7:14
    Average HR 80%

I just wanted to get the legs going fast and ready for Sunday, I like these sesions as I picked up the pace when I felt liked it and slowed it right down when I wanted. I wore my lunar racers which cut my ankle again but it's only minor as I stopped to double up the sock. It was my own fault for wearing the wrong socks.
    Cheers Krusty I picked that up today, I was taking it every day in my build up to the last marathons but somewhere along the way I just stopped but as of today I'm back on the echinacea, vitC and glucosamine & chrondoitin.

5.10 mile recovery run in 42:50, pace 8:26
    Average HR 69%

Strange run, I found it hard to get the heart rate up but the legs were tired. I do a 5 mile recovery run most weeks and the difference in todays run compared with last weeks is a huge improvement with the HR staying the same but I was nearly 30 seconds a mile faster.

Just realised today with the help of someone that I only have 7 weeks of training before tapering starts. I have decided to get my act together starting after Raheny and that means more focus on the Sunday long run and if that means missing races so be it.
    I have decided on a goal time for Paris despite having no proof that it's possible and that time is sub 3:15. I believe I need to hit this target if I'm going to make sub 3 in Berlin. I have come up with this spreadsheet based on a bit of help from RF(cheers) but would appreciate anyones comments and if that means changing it more, well no problems.

5 easy miles in 42:13, pace 8:27
    Average HR 67%

Again found it hard to get the HR up but didn't care as I want to be fresh for Sundays race and after 3 good weeks of training, it's a welcomed break.
    With all the trouble the nike lunar racers and my cut ankles (which are both stinging like mad) have been giving me I decided to ditch them and on the recommendation of Mr Wiloughby I picked up a pair of pearizumi racers http://www.runnerspace.com/video.php?do=view&video_id=700 and man am I glad, they weigh the same as the lunars 253 grams but man do they look deadly and after a practice run, I know I have made the right choice. I'll see how I get on in Raheny before I give them the woddle seal of approval. If you look at the video link, mine are the army green looking ones.

But thats an off-road shoe right? :confused:
    Raheny is on the road, right? Right???

But thats an off-road shoe right? :confused:
    Raheny is on the road, right? Right???

Yep but it can be used on the road also but the main reason I went with it was the added support it offers over the out and out racer. I'm unsure whether I'll wear them for Raheny now though as all my runners are giving me pain in my ankles thanks to those lunar piece of crap. I reckon I'll have to wait till the ankle heals and scabs over, so what I have done this morning is butchered the lunars and cut the backs off them even more than I had done already, so no friction now :D

good luck tomorrow. Won't be there myself but will probably see you at BHAA race on the 7th

• Advertisement

Ok really peed off, I just went out to collect the wifes car so I put on the altered lunar racers and they cut me again only lower on the ankle :mad:
    I'm going to get some compeed now and try and come up with a plan, I have no idea how to avoid that stinging pain for 5 miles.

2 miles in 14:04, pace 7:02 just to get the legs ready for tomorrow
    Average HR 77%

Advertisement