Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I don't know my time yet but I'm guessing a little over 33:07, my stupid garmin turned off after 3 miles, so it only recorded 4.86 miles of the course.
    Mile 1 6:29
    Mile 2 6:34
    Mile 3 6:41
    Mile 4 ?
    Mile 5 6:40

5 miles in 33:07, pace 6:37
    Myself and Robinph started a little further back than we should have, as I didn't get overtaken but yet I was overtaking people. At the first corner I got shoulder blocked by a guy who decided to jump up on the path, I let a roar at him and then continued. I felt in the groove today and was ticking along nicely but my garmin turned itself off and I now realise how dependant I am on it, as I took it off to reset and set it up again. I should have just kept running, silly really. I'm happy with how I finished aswell as I had a bit of a sprint but not like I normally do which suggests I gave this race pretty much all I had. The pearlizumi runners worked a treat and it was only in the last 3/4 of a mile that I could feel pain in my ankle, it turns out the 3 compeed strips and 2 plasters on my foot had all come off, but it didn't slow me down any. My 2nd PB of the year, I just don't know by how much. Also got to meet a couple of boardsies who I had not yet met in Krusty and Gmurran who both ran well aswell. So all in all a good day, just not sure how to approach next weeks training as I want to PB in Dungarvan but I'm suppose to be in marathon training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Hey Woddle nice one on the PB and I reckon that translates to about a 67-68 10 mile in Dungarvan with your fitness and the mileage you are putting in. I'll see you next week and as I'm looking to pb too and seem to be around your pace I'm sure I'll keep you company for a mile or two! Well done today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

great running Woddle, good stuff outta you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Nice one - and best of luck in Dungarvan next weekend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

well done Woddle. Great running, it's a great feeling when the PBs are falling week on week so enjoy it.
    Woddle wrote: »
    just not sure how to approach next weeks training as I want to PB in Dungarvan but I'm suppose to be in marathon training.

Seen as you have raced a good bit the last few weeks maybe take next week as a slightly easier week. Try and do your long run mid week so that this doesn't suffer and then ease up until Sunday ???? Just a thought

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Well done Woddle,nothing better than a PB to keep the competitive juices flowing...hard one to call for Dungarvan next week,its up to you at the end of the day.

Having no marathon myself,i will be doing ( health prevailing ) 6m tomorow,mile 3,4,5 of that @ my hopeful pace for next week.
    hopefully the same tuesday.
    After that i'll just be doing handy casual jogs.
    Low mileage again next week for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well done Woddle, and nice meeting you today after the race. I did my long run this week on Thursday, then did a recovery/aerobic run on Friday and took Saturday off, which set me up quite nicely for the run this afternoon.

Next week I think I'll do the same, long run on Thursday, recovery Friday, and fingers crossed, Dungarvan 10 mile on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

well done wodle great time
    i would agree with the lads above you have been racing a lot so i wouldnt kill myself this week maybe a couple of runs with a few miles at RP in the middle of the run.
    see ya in the sunny south east(i hope):D

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Well done woddle. You are flying it. Everytime you hit the road you seem to be getting PBs. Role on Dungravan ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Woddle wrote: »

33:07,

= 19.59 for 5k; 3.14 for marathon (mcmillan) :)

• Advertisement

= 19.59 for 5k; 3.14 for marathon (mcmillan) :)

Yeah delighted with that but now I have to train hard to make it relative.

5 recovery miles on the treadmill in 41:50, 8:22
    Average HR 69% found it hard again to get the HR up but maybe thats a good sign

I decided that a 3:15 in Paris is more important than sub 69/70 so I decided on a longish run this morning.

14.26 miles in 2:01:17, pace 8:30
    Average HR 76 %
    http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7522914

I'm still going to give the sub 69/70 a bash though :D

I took my resting heart rate(sitting) this morning and I now have a low of 44.
    2 runs today, the first one was 5 miles on the treadmill
    5 miles in 40:56, pace 8:11
    Average HR 69%, finding it hard to get the HR up in these sessions without upping the pace.

5.1 pm run in 37:44, pace 7:26, decided on a fartlek session
    Average HR 82%

I'm feeling good lately but I'm going to shut up about that before I jinx it.

Hey Woddle

Great consistency in your training recently. A sub 3 attempt must be on the cards in the Autumn if you can keep this form ?

Why did you do 2 mile runs today ? Is there any specific reason or were you just experimenting. Personally I cannot train twice a day. I would rather do one 10 mile run.

Best of luck the weekend I'll see you in Alsaa of the 7th where all will witness the Boards College team pick up its first piece of silverware of the year :D

The 2 runs today are in an effort to lose more weight. When I first started back in Feb last year, I used to do 2 miles on the treadmill before brekky and I seemed to lose all my weight then. But over the last 6 months my weight has hit a plateau and I'm staying around 162 lbs but I want to get back to about 140. Doing 5 miles this morning was not the plan, It was suppose to be about 3 but it took me 2 miles to finally get the HR up so I decided to stay on it but I'' limit this to about 3 miles and I'll do it about 3 times a week.
    Cheers for the confidence in the sub 3 hours as thats the plan in Berlin but firstly I want to hit sub 3:15 in Paris and then I'll know with 51/2 months till Berlin it will be doable.
    I'll be there on the 7th, is it still 3 on your team or have you filled the remaining spots. IT3 V College team V H3, can't wait :D

yes we are still the holy trinity but we are in negotiations with potential legends like ourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

yes we are still the holy trinity but we are in negotiations with potential legends like ourselves.

IT3 is filled with the sick and the lame But our day will come......

5.1 recovery miles in 42:50, Pace
    Average HR 71%

Was not in the humour for this run but I told myself there is no point doing 2 sessions yesterday if your going to miss one today. The run wasn't that bad once I got out.

My stupid garmin stalled for the 5 th time now since I told Amadeus last week how to resolve this very problem. I don't know how to fix it but its wrecking my head and God help it if it goes when I'm in bad form, I can picture myself fcuking it at a wall or something. I really enjoy wearing the garmin, it helps pass the time for me but its now starting to irritate me on my run.

Because so many of us are becoming obsessed with this challenge and getting the miles in, I thought I would share a story from the book I'm reading. It's about Fred Lebow (the mastermind behind the NY marathon).
    He was obsessed wiyh getting the miles in and one year he set himself the target of 2500 miles for the year, at the end of that year while on a plane, travelling to see his girlfriend for a new years eve party, he started to look through his training logs and when counting the miles back he realised he was 19 miles short of his target. So when he got to his girlfriends house he decided to go on a 20 mile run, one extra mile just in case the 19 wasn't enough. His girlfriend was very annoyed as she had his suit out and ready to go for the party, he came back from his run 2 hours later, so they were 2 hours late for the party. Later that night he couldn't find his girlfriend and he was told she had gone home already. He couldn't get a taxi so he ran to their apartment only to find his bags packed and a note in the hall. The note said its over but it also said that she had gone through his log and that he had added the milage wrong and had in fact run 2531 miles for the year not including the 20 he did that night of the party. I think theres a lesson there for most of us, at least for me anyway and my dear wife I promise to make more time :D

classic story. I get some grief at home about the amount of time I spend training. I always point out that I if I wasn't running I'd probably be drinking a lot more and would not be a the health balanced individual I am :D. I know it sounds sad but its the truth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Yes good story. My training only affects the family Sat or Sun morning. Even then they are just faffing around so I would only be in the way.
    If the OH complains I just say "which would you rather weekend mornings on a run or nights out with the boys?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

classic story. I get some grief at home about the amount of time I spend training. I always point out that I if I wasn't running I'd probably be drinking a lot more and would not be a the health balanced individual I am :D. I know it sounds sad but its the truth.

Same here.
    Mrs Showry can well remember what I used to get up to before I started training and would rather I was going running for an hour at 5:30 than the pub. Although she probably thinks I have the preachiness of a recent convert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Great story!

Just catching up - great run in Raheny, I'm way behind you after 3 weeks away, you're a good target to keep track of :D

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭McConkey

Good story Woddle :)

Sorry to chase you into your own log but I haven't had too much feedback on my thread on watches and since you posted and have tried both of the watches I'd like I was hoping you might answer a couple of questions for me, only if it's no trouble though.

Do you think the watch strap on the 305 and 405 would be tight enough for a woman's wrist?
    Is it awkward to upload from the 305 or does the automatic upload in the 405 make it worth the higher price?
    Is the 305 really massive?

I hope its ok to post like this, I'm not sure how to PM or what the etiquette is for stuff like this

your fine, happy to help if I can. I have quite skinny wrists and the 405 is just about perfect on me but my wife is about 5ft 5 and 8 stone and it would be a little loose on her but managable. The 405 is excellent when its working right and after a bad week last week, I think I've sorted out the problem. If have the little bit extra go with the 405 but the 305 is also fantastic and would def fit any womans wrist. Check out this site for some pros and cons, just remember the people posting here more than likely have a problem so it might not be a fair representation http://forums.motionbased.com/smf/index.php?board=87.0
    And feel free to ask any questions any time.

I left for Dungarvan at 7:45 and got there just after 10:30, way too early and this caused me to think whether or not I wanted to run, it was freezing and windy and I had an awful head ache( still have it now, won't go away) and then to top everything off my car battery went and that just annoyed me all together. But I sorted myself out and talked myself into running it and taking it as a training run. Lining up at the start I had already met Ike, abhainn and sweater and a couple I did the Berlin marathon with. I started about 3 rows from the front but at the last minute everybody turned around and I was now in the 3rd last row and this confirmed I was going to take it easy. I got over the start line quick enough but found myself trapped behind rows and rows of slower runners and my pace was a little over 8 min miles for the first half mile but then we got to a bit of downhill and I started to weave through the crowds and ended up running the first mile in 6:53 and I was starting to feel great so I made a decision to get to 5 miles in under 35 and then I would take it easy, did that in 34:45 according to there clock and I still felt good, so I just decided to go for it and the next few miles flew by. Mile 7 had a bit of downhill and I just let myself go in this and ended up passing alot of people, thanks enduro. But miles 8, 9 and 10 were tough into a strong wind and at times you had to turn sideways to get your breath, I knew if I could maintain 7 min miles I would be under 70 but the second last mile was a killer, uphill and into the wind causing me to run 7:19. Normally I save myself for the last half mile to pick the pace up but when I hit the last mile marker I just went, I found a new breathing method and it makes me very loud but I didn't care and ran the last mile in 6:43 and saw the finishing clock was 70:00 and when I stopped my own it was 69:45, so I'm hoping the chip time confirms this but I never saw a chip mat at the start, so not too sure how they did it.
    10 miles in 69:45, pace 6:58
    Average HR 86%
    http://picasaweb.google.com/padraicbirmingham/Dungarvan10MileRoadRace?feat=embedwebsite#5297897932686629458

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7550407

And after the race I got my car sorted thanks to Sweater and got home at 6pm, long bloody day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Good run Woddle, smart tactics to get the sub 70. Well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Great run and report Woddle, well done on getting under 70.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Hit your target, that's good going. Would be hard to run at your very best only a week after a 5 mile race, so all the better. Good man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Good running. Your improving at a some rate. I'll be watching my back in the BHAA races from now on:eek:

Advertisement