Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

7.3 recovery miles in 62:35, pace 8:34
    Average HR 72%

I'll try and go when the kids are still in school as I got attacked quite alot today especially down ballycullen road and not one of them could hit me :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭jlang

If it snows much more, there won't be school so you'll have to watch your back all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Woddle wrote: »
    7.3 recovery miles in 62:35, pace 8:34
    Average HR 72%

I'll try and go when the kids are still in school as I got attacked quite alot today especially down ballycullen road and not one of them could hit me :p
    I shall have to pull a snow day and hunt you down ;)

I've had a nasty headache since Saturday night/ Sunday morning and it's slowly killing my motivation fo running. It just won't clear no matter how many solpadine tablets I take. I have no appetite either but I'll try force something in later. I still managed 5 miles on the treadmill at 8:27 pace and my AHR was 70%. I've kept running through it by tricking myself, telling myself that if I run today I can have tomorrow off, so we'll see what happens tomorrow.

7.56 miles in 59:54, pace 7:55
    Average HR 77%

5 done at close to MP, ran around marlay and st endas park today, I really enjoyed running through the streams of water, lots of fun.
    Down to 160 lbs, so thats 5lbs lost since Jan 1st and also I still haven't drank any alcohol this year so I'm sure thats helping but I was never much of a drinker anyway but the disadvantage of no alcohol plus lots of running equals low libido, anyone else having this problem, although its not really a problem as the wife is enjoying this period of quite time. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

7.56 miles in 59:54, pace 7:55
    Average HR 77%

5 done at close to MP, ran around marlay and st endas park today, I really enjoyed running through the streams of water, lots of fun.
    Down to 160 lbs, so thats 5lbs lost since Jan 1st and also I still haven't drank any alcohol this year so I'm sure thats helping but I was never much of a drinker anyway but the disadvantage of no alcohol plus lots of running equals low libido, anyone else having this problem, although its not really a problem as the wife is enjoying this period of quite time. :D
    I'm with you on the alcohol thing, I've had a feck all this year too and feel great. Have some in the shed that i might get rid of and go off it 100% until after the marathon. Oh I mean the drink ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

no alcohol plus lots of running equals low libido, anyone else having this problem, although its not really a problem as the wife is enjoying this period of quite time. :D

Not experiencing it yet but should kick in soon when training intensity increases. Only really started noticing this the last 18 months. I think you need to consider age as a factor also :eek:

Bin the BPM Woddle and hit the little blue pills. Apparently they aid sports as well as bedroom performance :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Apparently they aid sports as well :D

Might also come in handy in the event of a photo finish :D :P

ike wrote: »
    Might also come in handy in the event of a photo finish :D :P

:D yeah true. I think photo finishes are determined based on your torso (chest) though. I don't think appendages are taken into account :D

I woke yesterday and put my running gear on under my clothes, brought one of the kids to school and thankfully my wife was off so she looked after the other but when I got back from the drop off I went straight back to bed and wacked out for a coupe of hours and ended up not running at all. I woke up this morning and for the first time in days, no headache, so I did 7 miles, 2 mile warm up followed by 5x1K at 4 min/k pace with a 2 min jog in between and finished with a 1 mile cool down. Whwn I had finished my head was thumping again. I don't know whats wrong but it's getting annoying now. My goal for Feb is to reach 200 miles for the month and to have at the most 4 days off, so I'm slightly annoyed I have already taken a day off.

7 miles in 54:23, pace 7:46
    Average HR 76%

The 5k came to 19:54 and had an average HR of 83%

• Advertisement

8.5 mile recovery run in 1:14:49, pace 8:48
    Average HR 67%

The low HR is a result of slow running (very slippy) and taking pictures along the route, see http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055481857

My first 20 miler in this training cycle.
    20 miles in 2:51:14, pace 8:34
    Average HR 70% (stopped a few times for pics again and very slippy at times)

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7585656

This was my biggest milage week ever at around 55.4 miles.

This was taken from the grounds of sancta maria
    3263011534_cd01ac1a29.jpg

he hellfire club is on the top of that mountain but don't know if you can make it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Fair dues Woddle.. I'm still trying to figure out the logistics of how I can get out for my run. How does that time compare to your previous 20 mile runs from last year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Nice run Woddle, great stuff on getting a twenty in. You're in good shape for Paris, care to venture a guess on what your time will be?

Fair dues Woddle.. I'm still trying to figure out the logistics of how I can get out for my run. How does that time compare to your previous 20 mile runs from last year?

About 45 seconds a mile quicker. My plan this morning was to get out the door before 7am and run on the roads, worked well and then when it started snowing, it began to stick which made it easier to run on the footpaths.

Nice run Woddle, great stuff on getting a twenty in. You're in good shape for Paris, care to venture a guess on what your time will be?

Won't be as quick as you lads :D I'm hoping for sub 3:15 and 3 of my races this year, 5k, 5m and 10 mile have me there abouts according to macmillan and unlike last year my training is consistant and I now have 6 good weeks in a row behind me, the most before that was 2 or 3 good weeks. So all going to plan so far :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Great running woddle. Its a great boost to the confidence when you get a consistent run of weeks of training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

About 45 seconds a mile quicker.

:eek:

Nicely.

I just looked back over last years log and heres the info for my first 20 miler
    6th July 2008
    20.5 miles in 3:19:51, pace 9:45
    Average HR 68%

9th Feb 2009
    20 miles in 2:51:14, pace 8:34
    Average HR 70%

Some difference and more than the 45 seconds I thought yesterday. Also tonights recovery run went well and they seem to be getting faster, must be a good sign?

5.1 recovery miles in 42:48, pace 8:23
    Average HR 70%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

It's great to be able to see improvements like this. Well done woddle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Yep - superb improvement

The days are flying by.
    http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7605229
    Decided on a rest day yesterday as the legs were tired, that leaves me 2 more rest days for the remainder of Feb.
    Went on a long run and my only reason for doing so was the 1000 mile challenge. I can see Donothopon pop in my sights and I can see Stupid private coming for me, so I'm going to dig deep. This week and next are planned 60 mile weeks, so I could do with the extra motivation, I've never been one for big miles before but I'm enjoying them at the moment.

16.3 miles in 2:15:02, pace 8:17
    Average HR 77%
    Hints of warmer weather out there, I was roasting with my 3 layers on :eek:
    and it was especially warmer up the mountain way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Nice run Woddle, there's a fair few hills thrown in for good measure. Good stuff.

And yup, Spring is in the air!

7 miles in 54:23, pace 7:46
    Average HR 76%

The 5k came to 19:54 and had an average HR of 83%

7 miles in 55:00, pace 7:51
    Average HR 74%
    5K average HR was 83% same as last week,
    Max of 185 compared with 183 last week

I found this session of 5x1k@5k pace with 2 min jog in between far tougher than last week. After the fourth one I was done or so I thought, my brain convinced myself to take the 2 min break just don't jog it and thats what I needed as it let me get the last one in.
    I wasn't suppose to do this till tomorrow but I just felt like it.

5.1 recovery miles in 42:33, pace 8:22
    Average HR 68%

Quads were a bit stiff today and I didn't want to go on a run but knew I was always going to. Catching Donothoponpop (1000 mile challenge) has become a must for me :D
    I had a bit of a niggle, very slight, I wouldn't even be concerned normally, only that its where I had the itb trouble last year, so I'm going to concentrate the foam roller in this direction but I'm hoping its just stiffness after 2 hard days.

I was reading a bit of Jack Daniels last night and he was talking about a runners stride rate and that 180 a min (90 with each leg) is what the elite runners do and it never really changes regardless of pace. So tonight I thought I would take my own stride rate, I did this twice both times on the flat. In the middle of my run it totalled 170 and towards the end 166. So what does this mean, it means I need to improve that figure but anybody know how you go about improving your stride rate as JD doesn't really explain that part very well.

I got out the door a little later than normal this morning, about 7:20 and it was already getting nice and bright, I left the tights at home as spring is def in the air. I had planned to do 22 miles or 3 hours which ever came first but at about 14 miles I convinced myself to postpone the 22 for a couple of weeks as it might be more beneficial, well at least that was my reasoning for dropping the 2 miles and just doing 20 (just :D), I really enjoyed this run but it was a little bit more difficult than last week as I didn't have the camera which meant I didn't stop but thats a good thing. Also I normally only do 3 miles in marlay park between miles 7-10 but today I tagged on another 2.25 and then tagged on an extra loop of st endas and this worked out well because when I left St Endasit left me with only 6 miles left on the road. Really happy with the run and its the first time ever that I've done 2 consecutive 20 milers on a Sunday and its the first time ever that I,ve run 2 consecutive weeks with a total milage over 50 (55.4 & 53.5). So all in all training is going well and its my best ever run and thats 7 straight good weeks.
    20 miles in 2:50:52, pace 8:33
    Average HR 74%
    http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7623027

I'm heading to Wexford on Wednesday for a long weekend, so it will be a step back week and my long run will be cut to 15 but thats well needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭Peckham

That's a great run Woddle. Fantastic end to a very productive two weeks it seems - you deserve your stepback week! (And you're going to kick my ass in the next BHAA race you run!)

great running woddle. 49 days to go to Paris and you are well on course with your training. I don't know how you can get out the door at 7 for your run, fair play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭Peckham

Just looked at your motionbased log. 19.99 miles is not a 20 mile run! ;) In situations like that, you need to do a lap of the driveway!

• Advertisement

Peckham wrote: »
    Just looked at your motionbased log. 19.99 miles is not a 20 mile run! ;) In situations like that, you need to do a lap of the driveway!

The watch said 20 I swear :)

and roadrunner I used to have to get out at time with kids and all but now I love it, everything is so quite and perfect on a Sunday morning and when I see everyone else going out at lunchtime, I just think thank God I'm done and I have the rest of the day still to do stuff.

Advertisement