Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Will there be testers in Carlingford tomorrow :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Woddle wrote: »
    Diet sucks, I can't shake the sweet tooth but I have cut takeawys way down. None this week :D

Milage has been 38,50,46,30,44,55,54,23,55 and 3.2 for this week

Makes alot of sense. Any suggestions for the last 4 weeks ?

Mileage seems okay actually as you have one or two easier weeks in between some of your harder weeks. But it's gone a bit Pete Tong this week for whatever reason. Maybe it's the diet?

I wouldn't be too worried about the sweet tooth - what I'd be more concerned with is are you getting good carbs (with some protein) in consistently? and are you replenishing energy stores asap after runs? eating within first half hour quite improtant - if you can't eat in that time and energy drink will help, should be 6-8g carbohydrate (glucose) per 100ml drink, so lucozade sport, powerade, gatorade all fine.

Diet wise, important (for me anyway or I go hypoglycaemic) to have complex carbs in mornings and at lunchtime if doing hard session that evening and the night before runs (so every evening), as follows...

Breakfast - Orange juice, porridge with nuts. Weetabix okay if you don't like porridge. +/- fruit, brown toast.

Mid-morning - apple and banana

Lunch - soup and brown bread sandwich + fruit

Pre-training (if necessary - energy drink and banana, not usually needed unless been too busy in work to eat well)

Post training (energy drink + banana and apple if tough session)

Dinner - complex carbs (brown rice or pasta or sweet potatoes or normal potatoes) with fish or beef and vegetables).

Well very little running for the week.

Tuesday was indoor football
    Wednesday was 3.22 miles before the treadmill broke
    Today just a 2 mile loop of Marlay to give the legs a bit of a stretch before tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Well very little running for the week.

Tuesday was indoor football
    Wednesday was 3.22 miles before the treadmill broke
    Today just a 2 mile loop of Marlay to give the legs a bit of a stretch before tomorrow.

Whats the goal for Paris Woddle?

You've come a long way since your first post last April;)

Babybing wrote: »
    Whats the goal for Paris Woddle?

I think Robinph did 3:27 in Dublin so I'll be aiming for better than that :D, if I'm feeling good maybe 3:20 but I'm going to make my final decision in 2 weeks time after some good sessions.

• Advertisement

525 1030 BRADSHAW, David M Dublin 01:11:10 01:11:43

No sub 70 but to be honest I'm happy especially after 2 bad weeks out of the last 3.
    I set off at sub 70 pace but after mile 5 I started to fade, I felt tired and stiff but I enjoyed myself and I know with 2 good weeks of training Ill be back on fire. Looking forward to next weeks 5k race. I reckon I could have gone sub 71 but there was a timing mat before the finish line and for some reason I thought that was the finish so stopped but then the crowd roared at me and I looked up and saw my mistake, I was still way short of the finishing banner :D
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/2427723
    10 miles, pace 7:07
    Average HR 90% and a new high of 200

I reckon I could have gone sub 71 but there was a timing mat before the finish line and for some reason I thought that was the finish so stopped but then the crowd roared at me and I looked up and saw my mistake, I was still way short of the finishing banner :D

I should'nt laugh but thats hilarious:D

Id say it was a right bitch getting going again:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

there was a timing mat before the finish line and for some reason I thought that was the finish

That was the start mat I'd say, they just hadn't removed it yet. Bit of a pain - paranoid I was going to trip on this :eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Great time Woddle. Any plans for the BHAA wednesday night? Not going to make the 5k on Sunday as I will be in the west.

I think I'll give Wednesday a miss and put all my effort into Sundays race.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Good running Woddle, thats twice now you are knocking on the sub 70 door. A bit of speed focus will get you there. 5K on Sunday, I reckon you will cruise the sub 20 now. Interested to see what you can do. I've never done a 5k but I'll use your time on Sunday as my benchmark ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

sorry to post this on your training log woddle, hope you dont mind. where is this 5km race? is it flat and reasonably fast? looking to do my first sub 20 attempt.

No problems at all, I think its very quick and will be attempting sub 20 also. It starts and finishes at the Mansion house, I did it last year and would recommend it

http://www.msbac.com/home/index.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

No problems at all, I think its very quick and will be attempting sub 20 also. It starts and finishes at the Mansion house, I did it last year and would recommend it

http://www.msbac.com/home/index.html
    Thanks, have you gone sub 20 before woddle? not sure if its realistic for me yet. my best is 20:49 in training, but imo and its only an opinion its a tough 5km with a couple of long if not steep uphills. kind of hoping a flat course and race adrenlin will get me there. would take 19:59 any day!!

I def remember it being quick and mostly flat, I recall the finishing stretch up to the mansion house as being uphill alright, I went sub 20 years ago but I'm using 20:07 as my pb which I set on new years day
    Its a good course that would def help a sub 20 attempt

5.14 miles in 43:02, pace 8:22
    Average HR 72%
    I seemed to have picked up a little niggle on the outside of my right foot after Ballycotton yesterday, ran through it today and it caused a little bit of discomfort. Hope it sorts itself out, legs were very tired during this run but glad I got out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

525 1030 BRADSHAW, David M Dublin 01:11:10 01:11:43

No sub 70 but to be honest I'm happy especially after 2 bad weeks out of the last 3.
    I set off at sub 70 pace but after mile 5 I started to fade, I felt tired and stiff but I enjoyed myself and I know with 2 good weeks of training Ill be back on fire. Looking forward to next weeks 5k race. I reckon I could have gone sub 71 but there was a timing mat before the finish line and for some reason I thought that was the finish so stopped but then the crowd roared at me and I looked up and saw my mistake, I was still way short of the finishing banner :D
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/2427723
    10 miles, pace 7:07
    Average HR 90% and a new high of 200

Good running Woddle ....you enjoyed yourself yesterday which is so important,good stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Hey Woddle, just looking at that 5k course, and am currently in a tossup as to whether to go to Gojira on Saturday night or whether to run that race - reckon it's one where I'd have a decent shot of running sub-30?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Hey Woddle, just looking at that 5k course, and am currently in a tossup as to whether to go to Gojira on Saturday night or whether to run that race - reckon it's one where I'd have a decent shot of running sub-30?
    This looks like a fast course to me .

I agree with Shels I found it quick last year and if your looking for a pb you might just find it here and if I remember correctly you get quite a good goody bag too

• Advertisement

shels4ever wrote: »
    This looks like a fast course to me .

Just from knowing the area it seems pretty flat for the most part.

The only potential red flag is the bit of a drag up Leeson street towards the end (I think thats uphill?).

I think Adelaide road is a gentle downhill though so a bit of time could be made there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

I ran this race last year too... It's a very flat course, the only slight uphill is the short stretch on Leeson St, but that's only a few hundred metres and from there on it's plain sailing back to the finish on Dawson St.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

You're looking for a sub 20min time on Sun I presume??

I just need to know so I can start mentally preparing to beat you :D

christeb wrote: »
    You're looking for a sub 20min time on Sun I presume??

I just need to know so I can start mentally preparing to beat you :D

I sure am and you may want to review your tactics and not try overtake me with 800 meters to go :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

I'll be running out of my skin to overtake you at all - but good to have the target all the same!

I was suppose to go for 15 this morning but couldn't get motivated and then I got a text from Mr Kilgannon 'fancy a run', so with that I did 10 just under 8 min pace which was way to slow for him ,I could see it in every step, he's a 70 min half marathon runner and I think next time we will have to try and plan ahead so I don't feel I'm slowing him down, maybe a tempo run or sth.
    I know I've been going on about lack of motivation and feeling fatigued but I'm convinced I'm a little under the weather and this was confirmed with my voice starting to go. I'm taking alot of vitc, echinacea and pharmaton so hopefully I'll get sorted.
    10 miles in 79:32
    Average HR 82% found it hard to talk and run today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Fight those feelings. Positive mental attitudes only allowed with 25 days to go. ;) Wait til donothoponpop gets a whiff of this .

Fight those feelings. Positive mental attitudes only allowed with 25 days to go. ;) Wait til donothoponpop gets a whiff of this .

Don't tell I'm fighting them I swear :D
    Cheers SJ
    I got some good advice and I'm going to right a little list tonight of key sessions to focus on over the next 10/11 days and stick to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I did 10 just under 8 min pace which was way to slow for him ,I could see it in every step, he's a 70 min half marathon runner
    At that pace, there are very few of us who wouldn't be slowing him down!
    How long have you got until Paris? Are you going to take a break for a while afterwards?

• Advertisement

At that pace, there are very few of us who wouldn't be slowing him down!
    How long have you got until Paris? Are you going to take a break for a while afterwards?

Why are you trying to figure out how much of a realistic threat I am to you in the 1000 mile challenge :D not much
    3.5 weeks to Paris and when Paris is done 7/8 weeks of easy running, nothing over 5 miles and then May 18th Berlin training starts :eek:
    By the sounds of your log you aint going to be getting much of a rest, how will you factor this into your training or will you bother ?

Advertisement