Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Thanks everyone for the good vibes, I certainly feed of these so cheers
    Ok so today I really did 5 miles and not 15 :D. I did 2 of these a little quicker than MP. I havn't ran in 2 days and I was glad to feel a bounce in my step. Aswell asrunning I was made to do the garden, nightmare and oh my God the leaves, so many leaves.
    I'm starting to feel loudly confident about my run, I feel good, still don't know what time I'm capable of but I do have a strategy and for all those that voted in the poll thank you. The plan is to go out at 3:20 pace, I will be aiming to do the first half in 1:39-1:40 and if I'm feeling good after 16 to try and increase it by a few seconds and if I'm still feeling good to repeat. I really want to do my best at achieving a negative split and use this as confidence for Berlin. Thats the plan and I'm now sticking to it.

5 miles in 38:46, pace 7:45
    Average HR ? seemed to be acting up as it recorded very high HR 203 my max is 200 which I got killing myself in a 5k race

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭McConkey

Best of luck Woddle, hope you get everything you are hoping for...PBs, the lot. Have a lovely time and will look forward to reading about it when you get back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭RAL3

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Best of luck enjoy yourself over there.. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Best of luck and have a great time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Best of luck Woddle. Be sure to take a look at the sights as you run past.
    Another PB will fall

Very easy 3.1 miles in 27:08, pace 8:47
    Average HR 71%

I followed this with 3x112 meters in 20 seconds. Contemplating an easy 2 mile in the morning.

Thanks again everyone for the best wishes. :D

I gave the 2 miler a miss and went for a game of pitch n putt instead. 5 over for the round but I havn't played in about 2/3 years. Heading to the airport in just under an hour and just wanted to say thanks again everyone for your support, it really helps with motivation levels.
    Next time you hear from me, I hope to have a pb in the bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Good Luck Woddle, have a good one!

Disaster, I forgot my garmin 405, sure I might aswell not bother running now, I'm fcuked. :D

Not to worry, it could be a blessing in disguise, I did go back to the expo and bought a basic stop watch, so pacing will now be all on me. So I'll have to get that internal pacing clock working and wrap my head around km.

The weather is only marginally warmer than Ireland so I don't think its going to play too much of a part. Def just wearing a singlet though.
    I met Hard worker at the expo working hard, very nice guy, gave me an xtra large tshirt to wear to the start of the marathon to keep warm, its as ugly as hell though.
    Legs a bit tired from walking all day, so going to have a bit of a rest before I go eat my 10 pm brekky :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Woddle wrote: »
    Disaster, I forgot my garmin 405, sure I might aswell not bother running now, I'm fcuked. :D

I don't believe it Mr Stato forgot his on board computer !!! What will you do ? :D
    If you get a chance this evening sit down and work out target 5km splits. Fingers crossed for ya

Not to worry, it could be a blessing in disguise, I did go back to the expo and bought a basic stop watch, so pacing will now be all on me. So I'll have to get that internal pacing clock working and wrap my head around km.

The weather is only marginally warmer than Ireland so I don't think its going to play too much of a part. Def just wearing a singlet though.
    I met Hard worker at the expo working hard, very nice guy, gave me an xtra large tshirt to wear to the start of the marathon to keep warm, its as ugly as hell though.
    Legs a bit tired from walking all day, so going to have a bit of a rest before I go eat my 10 pm brekky :D
    Best of luck might be a good thing for you just run to feel, as TheRoadRunner says get your 5 k splits in yoru head and off you go, :)

But still can't belive you did this..... did you not say you were packed 3 days ago ;)

Enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

I forgot mine for Dub 07, apparently they still let you run the race:)

Me and SJ just got to our hotel, which I booked in Nov 08, apparently they have "construction" which they never told us about so they sent us out to the last hotel in Rotterdam with rooms, El Flight Path right by the airport. Lots of hennight girls out here with party hats on, so we might just play it by ear and see about the sub 3;)

SJ says scratch that we're still going sub 3: these things are sent to test us, best of luck Woddle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

Good luck Woddle

Ok I said I wouldn't say anything till I digest the info but my wife just fell asleep so I have some free time and no she didn't run today but she did have the kids running her ragged :D

This is the most badly organised race I have ever been apart of. They did not have a one way system for dropping bags and stuff like Dublin and Berlin do, this meant that people walking down to dump their bags were walking straight into people walking towards the start, I did not see any signs for anything, there was a shortage of toilets. It was a joke.
    Finally got into my coral with approx 2 mins to spare, I was dying for a toilet but was afraid I would miss the start. Finally got going and I was trying my best to relax and not be too concerned with the first couple of k and I was only slightly of the pace but I could never get a rhythm going as this marathon was way to congested and the weaving in and out was very tiring. At the first water point at 5 k everyone was forced to stop, don't know why but we were there for 40 seconds to a minute would be my guess without moving a step, this is were I lost my cool and started shouting:rolleyes: When we did get going it took me till 9k to finally hit a target of 4:44 per k and then staright away I had to pee. After this I decided sub 3:30 was now the goal and I chipped away at this nicely but at around 12k I had to stop with what turned out to be a blister, so I took the pin from my number and burst it, I set off again and lasted 200 meters before the pain acted up, so I put a plaster around the blister, this thankfully did the job and I was off again. I tried to make up the time again but couldn't, I felt I could but I was just getting trapped behind too many runners who were running slower than what I wanted. I passed the 20k mark and saw the toilets, in I went and timed myself at 5:30 mins, everytime I stood up I had to sit back down. I went through halfway in 1:52 and I already knew my race was over, It was hot and now my nipples were bleeding, I stopped at a medical tent and asked for vaseline, she couldn't find any and gave me a cream instead, all this did was sting the fcuk out of me and with that I sucked the belly in and took off the singlet, and pinned the number to my shorts, all time wasting but I didn't care. We then got to 3x long tunnels and at the end of each was a hill, probably only 200/300 meters long but each time they knocked me back further. At 35kish I got cramp in my left hamstring and roared out loud like an eejit, it took me a while to stretch this out and while doing so the 4 hour pacer went by :eek: I didn't really give a **** and didn't care about even breaking 4 hours. I finally came in in 4 hours plus (I still hav'nt checked my official time or my watch). After the race it took a lifetime to get my bag and get out because for some reason the stewards would not let us out, everyone was roaring at them but yet they still didn't open them :mad: Oh and with 200 meters to go to the finish myself and about 5 other runners nearly got hit by an ambulance.
    My anger towards this race is still raging, I will not be back, maybe I'm judging it harshly after running Berlin but this race organisation has nothing on Dublin and Berlin.

Now thats my rant :D and now this is were I take responsibility, I let the race defeat me mentally, I should have been mentally tougher, I'm annoyed at myself because of this because if I had of just sucked it up and said fcuk it give the second have a bash, but I didn't and I'm really annoyed at my defeatest attitude.

Oh and I really missed my garmin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Ok I said I wouldn't say anything till I digest the info but my wife just fell asleep so I have some free time and no she didn't run today but she did have the kids running her ragged :D

This is the most badly organised race I have ever been apart of. They did not have a one way system for dropping bags and stuff like Dublin and Berlin do, this meant that people walking down to dump there bags were walking straight into people walking towards the start, I did not see any signs for anything, there was a shortage of toilets. It was a joke.
    Finally got into my coral with approx 2 mins to spare, I was dying for a toilet but was afraid I would miss the start. Finally got going and I was trying my best to relax and not be too concerned with the first couple of k and I was only slightly of the pace but I could never get a rhythm going as this marathon was way to congested and the weaving in and out was very tiring. At the first water point at 5 k everyone was forced to stop, don't know why but we were there for 40 seconds to a minute would be my guess without moving a step, this is were I lost my cool and started shouting:rolleyes: When we did get going it took me till 9k to finally hit a target of 4:44 per k and then staright away I had to pee. After this I decided sub 3:30 was now the goal and I chipped away at this nicely but at around 12k I had to stop with what turned out to be a blister, so I took the pin from my number and burst it, I set off again and lasted 200 meters before the pain acted up, so I put a plaster around the blister, this thankfully did the job and I was off again. I tried to make up the time again but couldn't, I felt I could but I was just getting trapped behind too many runners who were running slower than what I wanted. I passed the 20k mark and saw the toilets, in I went and timed myself at 5:30 mins, everytime I stood up I had to sit back down. I went through halfway in 1:52 and I already knew my race was over, It was hot and now my nipples were bleeding, I stopped at a medical tent and asked for vaseline, she couldn't find any and gave me a cream instead, all this did was sting the fcuk out of me and with that I sucked the belly in and took off the singlet, and pinned the number to my shorts, all time wasting but I didn't care. We then got to 3x long tunnels and at the end of each was a hill, probably only 200/300 meters long but each time they knocked me back further. At 35kish I got cramp in my left hamstring and roared out loud like an eejit, it took me a while to stretch this out and while doing so the 4 hour pacer went by :eek: I didn't really give a **** and didn't care about even breaking 4 hours. I finally came in in 4 hours plus (I still hav'nt checked my official time or my watch). After the race it took a lifetime to get my bag and get out because for some reason the stewards would not let us out, everyone was roaring at them but yet they still didn't open them :mad: Oh and with 200 meters to go myself and about 5 other runners nearly got hit by an ambulance.
    My anger towards this race is still raging, I will not be back, maybe I'm judging it harshly after running Berlin but this race organisation has nothing on Dublin and Berlin.

Now thats my rant :D and now this is were I take responsibility, I let the race defeat me mentally, I should have been mentally tougher, I'm annoyed at myself because of this because if I had of just sucked it up and said fcuk it give the second have a bash, but I didn't and I'm really annoyed at my defeatest attitude.

Really sorry to hear this Woddle:(

Its always been a race I really wanted to do but hearing this report has really dampened my enthusiasm for it. Im just watching it now on tele and some idiot medical assistant on roller blades tripped one of the elites and nearly caused a pile up:mad: Most ridiculous thing I have ever seen.

It seems to be if you want to set good times your best steering clear of events like London, Paris, New York, Boston unless your really far up the field. They just seem too big and congested.

The only thing you can do is learn from any mistakes you feel you made and move on:( and remember still a long long way to go until Autumn and this race is clearly not representative of the shape you are in.

This is the most badly organised race I have ever been apart of. They did not have a one way system for dropping bags and stuff like Dublin and Berlin do, this meant that people walking down to dump their bags were walking straight into people walking towards the start, I did not see any signs for anything, there was a shortage of toilets. It was a joke.
    Finally got into my coral with approx 2 mins to spare, I was dying for a toilet but was afraid I would miss the start. Finally got going and I was trying my best to relax and not be too concerned with the first couple of k and I was only slightly of the pace but I could never get a rhythm going as this marathon was way to congested and the weaving in and out was very tiring. At the first water point at 5 k everyone was forced to stop, don't know why but we were there for 40 seconds to a minute would be my guess without moving a step, this is were I lost my cool and started shouting:rolleyes: When we did get going it took me till 9k to finally hit a target of 4:44 per k and then staright away I had to pee. After this I decided sub 3:30 was now the goal and I chipped away at this nicely but at around 12k I had to stop with what turned out to be a blister, so I took the pin from my number and burst it, I set off again and lasted 200 meters before the pain acted up, so I put a plaster around the blister, this thankfully did the job and I was off again. I tried to make up the time again but couldn't, I felt I could but I was just getting trapped behind too many runners who were running slower than what I wanted. I passed the 20k mark and saw the toilets, in I went and timed myself at 5:30 mins, everytime I stood up I had to sit back down. I went through halfway in 1:52 and I already knew my race was over, It was hot and now my nipples were bleeding, I stopped at a medical tent and asked for vaseline, she couldn't find any and gave me a cream instead, all this did was sting the fcuk out of me and with that I sucked the belly in and took off the singlet, and pinned the number to my shorts, all time wasting but I didn't care. We then got to 3x long tunnels and at the end of each was a hill, probably only 200/300 meters long but each time they knocked me back further. At 35kish I got cramp in my left hamstring and roared out loud like an eejit, it took me a while to stretch this out and while doing so the 4 hour pacer went by :eek: I didn't really give a **** and didn't care about even breaking 4 hours. I finally came in in 4 hours plus (I still hav'nt checked my official time or my watch). After the race it took a lifetime to get my bag and get out because for some reason the stewards would not let us out, everyone was roaring at them but yet they still didn't open them :mad: Oh and with 200 meters to go to the finish myself and about 5 other runners nearly got hit by an ambulance.

Sorry to hear that, All you can do now is take the things from the marathon that you can control and change in your next race. Its not the end of the world at all.

Forget about it for now and enjoy your holiday with the family.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Not a good advertisement for Paris.

Hard luck Woddle, not a good representation of your ability or how hard you've worked. Keep it up and you'll breeze through your Autumn marathon.

Don't eat too many snails and frogs legs though. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Really sorry to hear about that Woddle - bound to be disappointing with the amount of training and effort put in...but fcuk it no point in analysing it to death at this stage, it dose'nt take much to p1ss me off at the start of a race either but seen to have got more than the fair share.

You can't change the Paris result but I've no doubt you'll get revenge in Berlin you have a hell of base set up. A bit of time out and some nice summer days training ahead of you. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭Peckham

Sounds like one to relegate out of the mind, take some time to recover and get back on the road and start thinking about Berlin (and its superior organisation!).

Had heard bad things about Paris marathon before. Watched the race on TV this morning and it didn't look that great - does everyone have to run along that narrow path through the park near the end with the bollards everywhere? Looks like an accident waiting to happen!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Been exactly where you are regards giving up mentally. I know you'll be disappointed with your performance but if this marathon helps you get tougher mentally and show you what happens when you loose the cool then you will gain a lot. The last time I did a marathon I was seen around Ballsbridge kicking the **** out of a couple of traffic cones. I won't be doing that again :rolleyes:

Paris organisation doesn't sound great all right. I had heard Paris is very congested and is one of the reasons I have never entered. Congestion sucks.

Yep Peckham, very narrow and I did wallop a few people and got a few wallops in return in fighting for water at the stands and would you believe I missed the eifel tower :D, I remember looking at the map pre race and meant to look out for it,

thats hillarious roadrunner just cheered me up no end :D

Suppose to meet the gang at 9 for pints but I'm just nackered, think I might just get an early night. My nipples are still stinging me, driving me mad.

Shels, I didn't actually see Maria Mc and apparently she was in our hotel yesterday to say hello to a friend. What a great run from her as it was quite warm, a couple of Clare men got sun burnt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Jes*s that sounds like an absolute disaster...really sorry to hear that after 4+ months of training,but as someone said to me after i did a 15m lsr after a 5m race 2 months ago ....what does not kill you makes you stronger !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Sorry to hear about your very unfortunate race Woddle. I'd still like to do this some time, but it's now been put on my list for around the year 2040, when I'm walking marathons. It really does sound like a cluster***k. Chalk this one up to a training run for Berlin. Hope Eurodisney went a little better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

That sucks ass big time. Try to take some consolation out of finishing another marathon and enjoy the rest of your time over there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

+1 to what's been said, sorry to hear that lad. Onwards and upwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

+1 again. Enjoy the rest of the break and chalk this one down to experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

i agree with the above .
    we all have expierenced bad races were things dont go to plan
    we cant control the past but we can learn from it.

i will see you in berlin woddle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭earlyevening

It was a bad weekend for Boards AC marathon runners. SJ and donothoponpop also had a bad time of it.
    Perhaps everyone will pb Dublin in response to this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Ouch! How are the nipples now?

Sorry to hear about your Marathon disaster Woddle, like SJ and Donothoponpop, completely undeserved after your dedicated commitment to training. You will just have to put that one away.

Advertisement