Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Too hilly to be a good target race in relation to time.

Yep , but a good benchmark if you have racxes it in previous years.. nothing like a good hard run to test you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

shels4ever wrote: »
    Yep , but a good benchmark if you have racxes it in previous years.. nothing like a good hard run to test you.

Yeah I'm looking to use the Adidas race series this year(and used it last year) as my benchmark to see the improvements I've made. The 5 miler in 2007 was my first ever race so I can't wait to see how I can improve on that again this year...I'll be much slower than Woddle I expect...but he's taller than me and male, thats my excuse for being slow anyway. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭kevinkilbane

Woddle wrote: »
    Well after 12 days of no running or any other form of exercise (also gained 10 lbs :eek: in the last 3 weeks) it was time to dust of the cobwebs before Monday sees me launching into a 12/13 week program which will now target the adidas 5 miler and not the 10k(although I will still be racing the 10k). I have decided to follow stupid privates way of thinking which will see me continue my 10k training schedule but try and get the Sunday run up to 15 miles before getting more specific marathon training in for Berlin( with about 8 weeks to go).
    Sorry KevinKilbane for not meeting you for the 20 this morning between still being a little sick and rusty I don't think I was ever going to make it but I did get 5 in this afternoon.

5.14 miles in 44:31, pace 8:40
    Average hr 79%, felt very tough, 12 days was too long without running.

i went out yesterday. didnt get out until half12, (the alarm went off early but didnt get up). i knew it would be tough the second i walked outside, warm day. i jogged the whole lot. went to marley, did 6 laps and home, so im delighted with that. i did struggle on the way home, really slow. i was in bits. i felt comfortable all the way through marley park. but the sun killed me when i was near firhouse. did it in 3hours 16minutes.
    now i feel ready and coinfident. maybe too confident.
    today im going at bout 4 with the coach to hell fire club. do 2laps, take bout 40minutes, but its a good work out. we'll have to get you up there sometime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Nice day for the hell fire club :cool:

Ok although my 5 mile training plan doesn't start till next Monday, I still wanted to get some speed back into the legs, so I programmed 8x200m with 200m jog recovery into the garmin, man did I find these tough. I keeled over after the 7th and started wretching, I was very close to giving up but I really wanted to finish the eight and I did. I can't believe theses felt so hard, only a few weeks back I was doing 5x1000 and they didn't feel as hard as these.

2 mile warm up,8x200m and a 1 mile cool down
    The splits were
    I found a nice spot in Marlay for these close to the main house and around the tarmac up to the pond and back.

Nice day for the hell fire club :cool:

Ok although my 5 mile training plan doesn't start till next Monday, I still wanted to get some speed back into the legs, so I programmed 8x200m with 200m jog recovery into the garmin, man did I find these tough. I keeled over after the 7th and started wretching, I was very close to giving up but I really wanted to finish the eight and I did. I can't believe theses felt so hard, only a few weeks back I was doing 5x1000 and they didn't feel as hard as these.

2 mile warm up,8x200m and a 1 mile cool down
    The splits were
    I found a nice spot in Marlay for these close to the main house and around the tarmac up to the pond and back.
    Hard session there any reason your doing 200's at the moment . For some reason I think i'd rather start with 400's once I'm back training after the marathon then after a few week move to 200's once the body has fully recovered . I always found doing the shorter stuff harder on the body and chances of getting injured increased.
    Maybe somone else know more, But maybe something liek 10 X 400 @ 3-5k pace would be a better session to get back into it.

• Advertisement

4.84 miles in 40:35, pace 8:23
    Average HR 81%

This run still felt a little harder than it should have but thats ok, I ran with my new backpack today with my canon 400d and it all worked out well and the camera survived. The reason for the backpack is for my Sunday long runs, I want to pick a nice route and be able to bring the camera and snap away.
    I have a 1 mile race tomorrow, I have no idea what time I'll do, so I plan on just running hard. Back min mid March I would have predicted 5:40 ish but tomorrow I would be lucky to break 6 mins, its amazing how much fitness you can loose in a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭kevinkilbane

thanks for the email woddle, just had a quick look at the log, ill have to have a good read of it soon.
    i had a rest after the weekend on monday. on tuesday morning i ran to work, then i ran home in the evening, and i did the same today. its good milage, i work just off harcourt street. on tuesday morning it took 56 min,going home it took 61min, i was dying, very warm and so on. id say its just under 7miles. i had the idea to run to work for a while, so on monday i just brought my work gear in with me to last a few days, and theres showers and everything in work,so im lucky. i only decided on the route on monday too. ill do it tomorrow again. then rest friday, wont do it next week with belfast so close obviously, but might do it in a few weeks!

Good to see things are ticking nicely for you kevinkilbane ;)

Well tonight was interesting, it was to be my first 1 mile race and my first time on a track. I didn't put any pressure on myself for tonight. I ran in the second race and was on the start line with babybing and both of us sporting the boards ac singlet :D.
    I started at the back of the crowd and babybing went past me straight away, after 250-300 meters I found myself passing babybing and lying in 6th, at this point the front group of 3 where not too far ahead and I did think about catching them but I could feel the lactic acid building and maybe it was this fact that stopped me,I went through the first lap in 81 seconds. Straight after this I decided to move up a spot and was now lying 5th but the leading pack where a good 20 meters ahead of me now. Lap 2 83 seconds. Lap 3 by far the worst and I was running on my own and I must admit I contemplated tripping myself up to end my race :D seriously an all time low. Lap 3 87 seconds. Thank God this was the last lap 2 guys went by me and I was now lying in 7th, with 200 to go I could hear someone about to overtake me, it was babybing I tried to go with him but he just got quicker and looked fantastic, I then sped up to take 1 more body and finished in 7th overall in a time of 5:50. I ran the last 64 meters in 10.8 seconds so I was happy with that.
    Right after the race I was very disappointed but I think it was more because babybing beat me so easily, he had a fantastic race and I really do feel he could have gone faster, he looked so strong and neat. But on the way back in the car chatting with babybing I eased up on myself and overall I'm happy but I ran a similar split a month ago in a 5k race for the first mile.
    We'll be racing again next Thursday and I'll hope to give him more of a run for his money but he def had more in the tank.
    I can't wait to start speed training next week, tonights race has really given me an appetite for the shorter distances.

3 miles including warm up and cool down
    Average HR for the race was 92%
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/4013047

Good to see things are ticking nicely for you kevinkilbane ;)

Well tonight was interesting, it was to be my first 1 mile race and my first time on a track. I didn't put any pressure on myself for tonight. I ran in the second race and was on the start line with babybing and both of us sporting the boards ac singlet :D.
    I started at the back of the crowd and babybing went past me straight away, after 250-300 meters I found myself passing babybing and lying in 6th, at this point the front group of 3 where not too far ahead and I did think about catching them but I could feel the lactic acid building and maybe it was this fact that stopped me,I went through the first lap in 81 seconds. Straight after this I decided to move up a spot and was now lying 5th but the leading pack where a good 20 meters ahead of me now. Lap 2 83 seconds. Lap 3 by far the worst and I was running on my own and I must admit I contemplated tripping myself up to end my race :D seriously an all time low. Lap 3 87 seconds. Thank God this was the last lap 2 guys went by me and I was now lying in 7th, with 200 to go I could hear someone about to overtake me, it was babybing I tried to go with him but he just got quicker and looked fantastic, I then sped up to take 1 more body and finished in 7th overall in a time of 5:50. I ran the last 64 meters in 10.8 seconds so I was happy with that.
    Right after the race I was very disappointed but I think it was more because babybing beat me so easily, he had a fantastic race and I really do feel he could have gone faster, he looked so strong and neat. But on the way back in the car chatting with babybing I eased up on myself and overall I'm happy but I ran a similar split a month ago in a 5k race for the first mile.
    We'll be racing again next Thursday and I'll hope to give him more of a run for his money but he def had more in the tank.
    I can't wait to start speed training next week, tonights race has really given me an appetite for the shorter distances.

3 miles including warm up and cool down
    Average HR for the race was 92%
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/4013047
    Well done, Not a bad run at all, Marathon a few weeks ago and not really training at all since , so don't be too hard on yourself there. Plus your rival has been training for the shorter distances.... Would loved to have raced that tonight myself.. but it will be a good while before i'm on the track..
    5:50 nice time to target with a few months training get into the low 5's .. what was your last lap time?

shels4ever wrote: »
    Well done, Not a bad run at all, Marathon a few weeks ago and not really training at all since , so don't be too hard on yourself there. Plus your rival has been training for the shorter distances.... Would loved to have raced that tonight myself.. but it will be a good while before i'm on the track..
    5:50 nice time to target with a few months training get into the low 5's .. what was your last lap time?

Thanks Shels my race log has it now as my 2nd best run ever so I suppose I can't be too annoyed, man did it feel tough. Can't wait to get you in the summer :p
    81, 83, 87, 86 and 10.8 for the last 60m but I think there a little off with the garmin.

• Advertisement

Thanks Shels my race log has it now as my 2nd best run ever so I suppose I can't be too annoyed, man did it feel tough. Can't wait to get you in the summer :p
    81, 83, 87, 86 and 10.8 for the last 60m but I think there a little off with the garmin.
    Late summer i hope to be able to give you a run for your money.... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭Peckham

Sounds good Woddle. What meet was that - was it Raheny or Graded Meets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Decent spin Woddle, plenty to build on there. Might see you at one at a few of the Raheny meets coming up over the Summer?

8.37 miles in 71:27, pace 8:31
    Average HR 77% and my hr feels like its getting back to where it was before the marathon, so that has cheered me up no end
    todays run did feel very comfortable. I decided to give the last 400 meters a lash but I misjudged when to stop and it was only 360m according to garmin but I ran it in 72 seconds, just trying to do a bit of work on that kick of mine, so as to make it harder on babybing next week :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

8.37 miles in 71:27, pace 8:31
    Average HR 77% and my hr feels like its getting back to where it was before the marathon, so that has cheered me up no end
    todays run did feel very comfortable. I decided to give the last 400 meters a lash but I misjudged when to stop and it was only 360m according to garmin but I ran it in 72 seconds, just trying to do a bit of work on that kick of mine, so as to make it harder on babybing next week :D

Dont overdo it now Woddle....I reckon you should take a few days off. Put the feet up until the race and enjoy some pizza and chocolate.

;)

1.28 miles of a warm up
    2.5 mile of a time trial on a flat 1000 meter lap in marlay park in 16:34, pace 6:38, average Hr 89% with a max of 96%
    1.22 mile cool down

Lap 1- 3:44
    Lap 2- 4:17
    Lap 3- 4:21
    Lap 4- 4:05 + 5 seconds of running to make the 2.5 miles, each lap was a 1000 meters
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/4301156

Quite happy with this overall, I'm not too far away from where I was a month ago, speed wise. I did find it tough but satisfying. So the 12 weeks program for the adidas 5 mile starts today.

I decided to give the legs a rest yesterday.
    Today 5.5 miles in 42:22, pace 7:42
    Average HR 81%

but the real break down is
    Mile 1 in 7:40 after this I quickened the next 2 miles and did them in 14:33 after this it was a bit of stretching before I started on the 10x100m with 30 second recovery. I'm happy to say I paced myself better than the 200s last week.
    First five, 21,21,22,20,19
    Second five 20,19,19,21 and 16 which I gave a right oul lash.
    Finished with a 1.36 mile cool down.

29/4/09
    Legs were so heavy tonight, so I cut my run from 5 miles to 3.8. Sensible decision given that I'm racing tonight. This will be my first 800 meter race and I'm really looking forward to it. The bad news is though I'll have to race in my racers again and not the spikes as I can't get 2 x country spikes out of the shoe. If anyone has any tips on how to do so, please let me know.
    I'm going to be trying to get as close to 2:30 as possible. I base this on my 2 quickest laps last week, which were 81 and 83, so tonight I might try push harder in the first lap and then just go mad for the second and hope I don't fade too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

29/4/09
    This will be my first 800 meter race and I'm really looking forward to it. The bad news is though I'll have to race in my racers again and not the spikes as I can't get 2 x country spikes out of the shoe. If anyone has any tips on how to do so, please let me know.
    I'm going to be trying to get as close to 2:30 as possible. I base this on my 2 quickest laps last week, which were 81 and 83, so tonight I might try push harder in the first lap and then just go mad for the second and hope I don't fade too much.

Best of luck Woddle. I use to love 800s. 1 piece of advice don't push too hard on he first lap, once the lactic builds up that final 150-200 metres can feel like 10 miles. If you are looking for 2.30 and want to pace it I would recommend a first lap of 73-74, I always found it harder to run a faster second lap. Obviously with experience this can be done.

Have you tried using a pliers to get the spikes out ? I use to put stubborn spikes into a vice my dad had at home and then twist the shoe around the spike.

Yep I tried the pliers, running bing joked I file it down :D. I'll give the vice a go, a reason to pop over to grandad

• Advertisement

Best of luck Woddle. I use to love 800s. 1 piece of advice don't push too hard on he first lap, once the lactic builds up that final 150-200 metres can feel like 10 miles. If you are looking for 2.30 and want to pace it I would recommend a first lap of 73-74, I always found it harder to run a faster second lap. Obviously with experience this can be done.

Have you tried using a pliers to get the spikes out ? I use to put stubborn spikes into a vice my dad had at home and then twist the shoe around the spike.
    good advise there used to love 800's too . Relax when you hear the bell too a lot of people over react when they hear it and go like the clappers for 100m and then die.

I run marathons because of the buzz I get from finishing the race, well what if I told you you can get the same feeling and it will only take you a little over 2 minutes, say hello to the 800 meters.

This was a fantastic race and I'm very pleased with my performance, its showing me that a bit of speed is returning to the legs and that last weeks 5:50 was slow for me.

There was 4 races and the first race was for runners expecting a time of Under 2:30, I can be cocky but not that cocky, so I went in the second race. From the bell running bing took the lead so I stayed close but after 200 he slowed and the runner beside me took the lead and stayed at the same pace. I thought it was a bit slow and was going to take the lead but a runner came from behind to do so and then another couple of guys. So in the space of 200 meters alot had passed me. At the bell 73 seconds was called out, I thought perfect. Running bing was a few meters ahead and I knew I wouldn't catch him. With 250 to go I stepped the pace up but this only lasted about 125 meters and with another 125 meters to go it was about hanging on, my pace was dropping and so was everyone elses and man was I happy to see the line. 2:30 on the nose and I'm delighted, I can build on this.
    Now the only thing I didn't like on the night was the burning feeling I had in my throat, it was horrible but apparently this is normal for an 800 meter race. Myself and running bing were coughing the whole way home in the car. Running bing ran a super race again but I let him tell you about it. What a race.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/4478771 I pressed the lap button early.

and according to my race points calculator 741 pts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭jlang

Well done. Sounds like fun and I like the idea of getting that I've-done-all-I-can feeling within a couple of minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭thirstywork

Pure class man,i love it when marathon men have a go on the track.
    so many people out there don't realise what they are missing and a track season will help your overall development and basic speed.
    seems like you paced the race to perfection.
    any idea if you will run some 1500m or 3k's.I think you should run another couple of 800m's and strike while the iron is hot.
    how did you find that start racing in lanes?
    also thought u ran some speed work too close to your race so maybe something lighter next time???what track did you race on by the way?
    ps that birning feeling in the throat is awfull:D

Pure class man,i love it when marathon men have a go on the track.
    so many people out there don't realise what they are missing and a track season will help your overall development and basic speed.
    seems like you paced the race to perfection.
    any idea if you will run some 1500m or 3k's.I think you should run another couple of 800m's and strike while the iron is hot.
    how did you find that start racing in lanes?
    also thought u ran some speed work too close to your race so maybe something lighter next time???what track did you race on by the way?
    ps that birning feeling in the throat is awfull:D

Cheers lads.
    I plan on doing the 1500 next Wednesday at the graded meet.

They started us on the curved line instead and it was a bit of a free for all for position and I found myself running wide for the first 100-150.

Your right I did do a tough session on Tuesday, ( my thinking was Ah sure its only 800 :rolleyes:)

It was out in Morton stadium, how I would love to live beside this track.

I can't believe I've waited so long to try track, its a must if you havn't

I run marathons because of the buzz I get from finishing the race, well what if I told you you can get the same feeling and it will only take you a little over 2 minutes, say hello to the 800 meters.

This was a fantastic race and I'm very pleased with my performance, its showing me that a bit of speed is returning to the legs and that last weeks 5:50 was slow for me.

There was 4 races and the first race was for runners expecting a time of Under 2:30, I can be cocky but not that cocky, so I went in the second race. From the bell running bing took the lead so I stayed close but after 200 he slowed and the runner beside me took the lead and stayed at the same pace. I thought it was a bit slow and was going to take the lead but a runner came from behind to do so and then another couple of guys. So in the space of 200 meters alot had passed me. At the bell 73 seconds was called out, I thought perfect. Running bing was a few meters ahead and I knew I wouldn't catch him. With 250 to go I stepped the pace up but this only lasted about 125 meters and with another 125 meters to go it was about hanging on, my pace was dropping and so was everyone elses and man was I happy to see the line. 2:30 on the nose and I'm delighted, I can build on this.
    Now the only thing I didn't like on the night was the burning feeling I had in my throat, it was horrible but apparently this is normal for an 800 meter race. Myself and running bing were coughing the whole way home in the car. Running bing ran a super race again but I let him tell you about it. What a race.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/4478771 I pressed the lap button early.

and according to my race points calculator 741 pts

good running there, i'd be lucky to go sub 2:45 i'd say..... Trinity track coming up soon...
    Seems like you ran a very good race well done, Going on your 800m time i'd say you'll be able to run a 5:15 1500m :) .

I'll give the trinity track a miss. There is a 5k that weekend and I'll be targeting a pb. Are you going to do the trinity track or will it be too soon.

I'll give the trinity track a miss. There is a 5k that weekend and I'll be targeting a pb. Are you going to do the trinity track or will it be too soon.

It would prob be too soon, may do the 3k as a tempo but it will all depend on the legs. Looking at around 3 week untill i'll get out and want to get a 5mile or 10k in first before hitting the shorter stuff as my 10k pb is slow...

Actually i'll prob need to run 4 10k pb's back to back on monday :D

Well Shels I wish you all the best and enjoy it and take it all in and then what were you saying earlier, drinks and food in yours :D I'm looking forward to having a few battles with you come summer. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

Well raced Woddle - I did track races last year (3000m and up) and while I didn't enjoy them they really serve a purpose. My first road race in the Autumn after the track and I took 1:20 off my 10k time that I'd set less than 6 months beforehand! If you're enjoying it then it makes it even better for you.
    It was out in Morton stadium, how I would love to live beside this track.

Tell me about it. For most of the year you don't need it but now it's great to be close to a track. I was spoilt in France and London with tracks within walking distance of my apartments. Here I have to get two buses to the closest one... but then again I live beside the Phoenix Park so its not all bad.

Advertisement