Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

stmochtas wrote: »
    Good luck tonight Woddle.

I had planned plenty of IMRA action myself in Apr/May but will get there eventually. Are you in trinity tomorrow to watch the track races?

No I won't make it down, as I'm racing Saturday and taking pics on Sunday, so I don't want to push my luck. How is the foot, I would imagine it's very frustrating especially coming into good weather.Keep the faith

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Is it berlin your going to be training for this year woddle?

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Is it berlin your going to be training for this year woddle?

It sure is, I did it last year and it's just an amazing marathon and then hopefully if selected 5 weeks later I'll pace Dublin. From September this year I'm going to be mindding someone elses kids and from January I'll also be minding my sisters baby, so after having a chat with the wife, there will be no marathons next year and she has been quite fair up till now anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Woddle wrote: »
    It sure is, I did it last year and it's just an amazing marathon and then hopefully if selected 5 weeks later I'll pace Dublin. From September this year I'm going to be mindding someone elses kids and from January I'll also be minding my sisters baby, so after having a chat with the wife, there will be no marathons next year and she has been quite fair up till now anyway.
    And if lucky you might be able to say you were there for a new WR.

You can do a 'racing flat' and focus on your short stuff for a year and hopefully run a marathon the following year. What time you hoping for in berlin?

Id hope to run it the following year (as long as i dont say never again after dublin this year)

After Paris, I'm not going to commit to any time and I wouldn't have a clue yet, there will be a couple of build up races along the way to help me find out.
    I was there last year for Hailles world best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

No I won't make it down, as I'm racing Saturday and taking pics on Sunday, so I don't want to push my luck. How is the foot, I would imagine it's very frustrating especially coming into good weather.Keep the faith

Good Physio session this morning with loads of work on the lower leg as there was tightness there which may be causing the foot issues. So the plan is a gentle 3k on Sat and if it re-occurs he is recommending a scan just in case there is a bigger issue there. Fingers crossed for the weekend.

Man was I looking forward to this race, it was to be my first IMRA race in 7 years :eek: I was so nervous all day, thoughts were flying through my head. I'm racing Saturday aswell and I was told to pick one as a training run and then go all out on the other but I know me I'm not capable of being sensible. When your on the start line all those kind of plans go out the window. I was secretly hoping to be the third scorer for the team, now thats a hard task giving that earlyevening and jlang are in good form. However when I went to enter I was told my placing wouldn't count for Boards AC, a blessing in disguise, my mind was made up at that stage not to go too mad.
    I had some pre race advice from DP so I tried to move up the front, myself and Jlang started together but everyone else had the same idea and I found myself caught in the middle and after about 100 meters it got very narrow and there would be no passing people out for a while.
    When a bit of room arose I would take advantage, my take it easy approach looked like it was out the window but after 10 minutes I started to walk and I kind of made my mind up to get a good recovery while walking, so I did just that and I was just happy to stay ahead of Jlang :D(more to this story)
    The uphill was torture and I did pay for a quick start but I'm glad I copped on. Now the downhill was a different baby, many passed me on the uphill but I'm glad to say nobody passed me on the straigh or the downhill and I went by most who had passed me. I felt it was ok to go mad on the downhill as my heart wouldn't be working as hard but my legs would, I had no falls but my ankle is a little tender right now, nothing serious. There was a guy in an orange rain jacket and I really wanted to pass him but he managed to stay ahead of me till the end. I finished in 49:27 but guess what, who was already finished, only feckin Jlang, I was half gutted, I don't remember him passing me at all but it's probably a good thing that I didn't see him go by as I would have tried to pass him(probably in vain as the guy is in good shape now).
    Very enjoyable night out except I stung myself in nettles and destroyed a perfectly good pair of runners :D

According to my garmin it was
    5.33 miles in 49:25, pace 9:16 but I don't know how accurate this is as visibility was poor and the course felt alot longer.
    Average HR 89% which is a good area to be in for a tempo run, a very tough tempo run.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/5273435

If anyone else knows the distance for the course could you let me know and thanks to the two clonliffe lads who gave me a lift up, much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Welcome back, after so many years in the wilderness.

Nice report, sounds like you got a good downhill, that'll get you out again for a few more imra runs. Your feet and legs will be hurting for a few days, as they are not used to the terrain,but sounds as if no harm was done, fair play on the race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Good running. Hopefully this will have wetted your appetite for further such runs. When you see the results you'll see who finished around you and they can be your targets the next time around :)

Nice average and max HR by the way :)

Good running. Hopefully this will have wetted your appetite for further such runs. When you see the results you'll see who finished around you and they can be your targets the next time around :)

Nice average and max HR by the way :)

Yeah I seemed to have worked quite hard on the downhill but I had previously been under the impression that your HR is low going downhill, obviously not. Now just to work as hard going uphill and I'm sorted.

Just compared my splits to yours in KM using sportstrack and laps 6,7,8,9 I'm only marginally slower but when you compare the uphill splits the difference is huge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭jlang

I think I must have been ahead of you all along. Of course, I thought you were ahead so couldn't take it too easy in case I might lose what chance I had of catching up. Good fun. I don't think I've ever run as fast as on the road section on the downhill, trying to make up for being over-cautious on the other technical terrain.

Lots of fun and what a fantastic site, they now have my 2002 results up and I now have a flattering average position of 41 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Well done Woddle.

Nice stuff on the downhill. You must be a brave man. I could be wrong but hill novices are usually hammered on the downhill sections by the experienced mountain goats.

I'll give you a shout regarding dropping your foam roller back to you. I bought one myself the other day. It's ridiculously large about 3 feet long. Need to take a saw to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

You were only five minutes behind B. Minnock in 2002; he stuck at the hill running and look at him come 2009. Imagine where you could be now but for those lost seven years:D

I noticed the same thing earlier and isn't he a tribute to hard work and consistency
    Those 7 years are lost to me now :D but come 2016 at the fine oul age of 37, I'll finally come good :o

Well done Woddle.

Nice stuff on the downhill. You must be a brave man. I could be wrong but hill novices are usually hammered on the downhill sections by the experienced mountain goats.

I hope SJ doesn't mind me comparing but this is what I took out of it. Lots of work needed on the uphill and I don't know how to improve the downhill as I was working hard at that point, probably improves with practice. I'll have to pencil another one in for a few weeks time.
    Laps in km

SJ/W
    1-5:216:49
    2-6:016:36
    3-4:315:29
    4-5:296:30
    5-6:508:36

6-4:254:52
    7-4:024:34
    8-3:083:33
    9-2:122:21

Lap 5 was ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭kevinkilbane

Lots of fun and what a fantastic site, they now have my 2002 results up and I now have a flattering average position of 41 :D

well done woddle, greart running yesterday,was it ticknock??? any more imra mountains races coming up?
    im kinda getting back into things. but i played football on sunday, i know i know, never again (thats a lie). but i was in marley mon tues wed. the coach had me doing sprints on tues, im rubbish, i best stick to the long distance. im planning my long run on saturday morning.
    on sunday im going to hellfire with the gaffer, ya interested in coming? maybe 2or3laps??

Ya dope, give up that football. No I think I'll stay clear of mountains for a couple of weeks. I have a 5k race Saturday and hope to do an easy 8 with a friend on Sunday. It was Ticknock, the arches of my feet are quite tender today but other than that all is good, I woke up this morning and the ankle was fine.

Will you do any races before Cork or just concentrate on the training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Hi Woddle,
    Interesting comparision. A couple of key things helped my race last night.
    I was familiar with the route so I knew there were cruel climbs, so I took it comparatively easily starting off. Having said that position is important at the start as it gets narrow and you can get stretched out in the pack so I got as near to the start as I could. I rested the previous day so my legs were fresh starting off too. On the tough bits I was lucky to be running with Mike Long and the 2 of us running together kept each other going at a good click. On the technical bits I was being chased hard by Martin Francis who eventually went by me but I hung in there with a steady fast pace. The last downhill along the bumpy path and through the trees I went for it and got by 2 or 3. All these races within races really help.
    Cheers,
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭kevinkilbane

Ya dope, give up that football. No I think I'll stay clear of mountains for a couple of weeks. I have a 5k race Saturday and hope to do an easy 8 with a friend on Sunday. It was Ticknock, the arches of my feet are quite tender today but other than that all is good, I woke up this morning and the ankle was fine.

Will you do any races before Cork or just concentrate on the training.

i will, i will give it up... ticknock is tough, the underground is very dangerous. i ran it few weeks before belfast.

i was going to do sportsworld 5m on sunday, but i bottled it. im just gonna do my normal training. im following your log, of between berlin and dublin. ive got my long run on saturday. i feel good at the mo. fully recovered and ready for more. not too confident bout doing a special time,i wouldnt say under 3.50 yet, but very confident break 4hours in cork.

what about your team? under 3hours???

• Advertisement

what about your team? under 3hours???

It's only a matter of by how much :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭thirstywork

wel done woddle and thanks for the info on the distance.was a fantastic race and maybe next year we might get some good weather.
    Barry Minock was amazing,himself and brian mcmahon where gone from th start.got lost a couple of times and my runners needed more grip.
    The course probably needed 3-4 more marshals.
    Do ou plan on running anymore mountain races Woddle.Us clonliffe runners are very generous,i was lucky as i was running up to 3rock when another mountain runner was driving that way and gave me a lift to the right place.
    hop the legs are feeling better as my quads are abit sore now.the downhill section on the tarmack was so fast.

Thanks thirstyworker and well done yourself, I do plan to do Corrig and Scalp and I'm debating Prince William Seat, I feel these mountain runs could replace my tempo work for that week.

I missed my 5k race yesterday as I still felt very tender especially quads and the arches of my feet. I also have a slight cold, so either RF was right or it was the cold drizzle of Tree rock.
    I still went out to watch the race and the Leinster school championships were on beforehand, so I watched and took pictures of that aswell. Some fine young talent on show yesterday and watching the 4x100 relays was excellent and all the kids seemed to be enjoying themselves which was great.

Today 9.61 miles in 1:22, pace 8:33
    Average HR 81%, it did feel tough at times, I ran with a friend and didn't want to hold him back too much, we would be of the same stamdard only I still had Wednesdays race in my legs.

I'm very excited as tomorrow marks(125 days to Berlin) the start of my Berlin program and I have learned alot from my training for Paris so I'm hoping to put some things right.

Plan for the week
    Mon-60 mins easy
    Tue-3x1 mile @10k pace, 2 min recovery
    Wed-60 mins easy
    Thur-Rest
    Fri-70 mins easy with strides
    Sat-60 mins easy
    Sun-13 miles

Never in my log have I wrote down what I plan to do in fear that I don't do it but I have every faith in myself now and I just can't wait to get going. Time to get the Berlin thread going I think :D

I must add I'm a little disappointed not to have raced a 5k or 5 mile as I would have liked to set a pb or at least try coming of Paris training but I've had fun since Paris and have been on a bit of a holiday, trying track and mountain races but from here on I'll be more selective in my races and I'll be taking a huge input from RFs log http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055291468&highlight=quest if you havn't followed it you should do yourself a favour and have a read.

6 miles, 54 mins, pace 9:00
    Average HR 76%
    Weight 11'12

Still very stiff but better.
    I need to sort my weight out, so plan is to loose 14 pounds, I'll put my weight up every 3 days or so, it will do me good to monitor it here.
    Going to swap Tuesday and Wednesday around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

best of luck with the new training program and shedding those pounds,

Seres wrote: »
    best of luck with the new training program and shedding those pounds,

Thanks Seres and well done on your race, your so funny with all your worrying about paces and recovery and stuff and yet you are in great form, more belief is what you need :D
    I hope to go sub 40 in late June myself so I'll be watching your log closely, keep up the good work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

thanks woddle , i know i am very self critical , need to work on that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Hey Woddles, well done on the recent hill run. 14 pounds is a lot to lose. Do you plan to shed that before Berlin? How do you find the hill running compared to the road running?

MCOS wrote: »
    Hey Woddles, well done on the recent hill run. 14 pounds is a lot to lose. Do you plan to shed that before Berlin? How do you find the hill running compared to the road running?

Well done yourself MCOS, I love reading your race reports.
    I hope to shed that much before Berlin, close to a pound a week. The hill running was fantastic, I must admit I missed it, especially the downhill which I would equate it to driving a very fast car at speed around a 90 degree bend, I don't know whether I was being brave or stupid, there is def a thin line and thats probably what seperates the guys at the top like SJ and DP who have mastered the art.
    Compared to running on roads, hard to say, you def use different muscle groups and I had not trained to develop these muscle groups and thats why 5 days later I'm still sore and had to miss a 5k race on Saturday :mad:
    I def didn't show the respect that the mountain deserves so I think Corrig will be my next one on June 3rd. You thinking of doing a few?

• Advertisement

Roughly the same run as yesterday. Legs felt much better.
    6.14 miles in 51:55, pace 8:27
    Average HR 74%

From miles 1 to 4 I was in bad need of a toilet, so I tried to get to my mothers house, my running style involved me running on my tippy toes with a strange expression on my face, I really thought I was going to embarrass myself but thankfully made it. When finished I decided to go for another 2 miles. Looking forward to my speed session tomorrow.

Advertisement