Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

ike wrote: »
    Good going Woddle the intervals seem to be the key to getting the speed over the longer distances, you need to be fresh on the day doing them.

Your Berlin countdown is starting to freak me out! :D

I did the same for Paris and found it valuable, I think when I see the countdown written down I tended to have very few wasted days as the time flysby.

OBWON wrote: »
    You are right I always think i could and should be doing more. But very good running tonight

I think part of the reason I feel like this is because although I'm getting the running in, I'm neglecting the smaller things, such as diet and core and this leaves me with the sense of sth missing.

I was looking back over my heart rate for yesterdays session and it appears I have a new max HR, now I know I havn't increased my max by training, more than likely I'm still learning how to push harder. I recorded the new max right at the end of the speed session in the last 100. I had previously been working of a max of 200.

I missed yesterday due to having to mind a bunch of kids, my wife didn't get in till 9 last nigh, so I thought it would be silly to go with an lsr 12 hours later.
    In truth I probably needed an easy day today, still, after Thursdays speed session. My legs were so heavy and I did not enjoy the run, I should have picked a non hilly route.

14 miles in 2 hours 6, pace 9 min
    Average HR 71%

Monday Cork relay
    Garmin has me at 5.3 miles in 37:18, pace 7:02
    average HR 83%, a 5 mile race would normally have me at 90%, so it really wasn't my day.

Wednesday, recci of leg 3
    4.9 miles in 36:50, pace 7:31
    average HR 76%

Can't wait to do this leg on Saturday, it's pretty much downhill the whole way http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/episode/view.do?episodePk.pkValue=8370284 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Just saw this - something your kids might like?

Decided to head out to do the 3rd leg recci again, there is a turn that was making me nervous. After running it today I feel more at ease. Although running through the field is starting to make me nervous as I can't remember exactly when I take a right of the field on to the path but I'm sure it will be obvious. :confused:
    4 miles in 36 mins, 9 min pace
    Average HR 68%

I have done little since Cork as I don't want to repeat my below par performance. Also I got a bite on my shin that has now swelled up and when I run I can feel it but it doesn't seem to have any impact while running as proved by todays recci.

Very excited about this tomorrow.

Sat 6th of June
    leg 3 of Wicklow way relay
    8k in 33:48
    Race report here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055570665&page=9

Today a nice run with roadrunner, time really does go quicker with company
    6.28 miles in 51:38, pace 8:13
    Average HR 77%, bit higher than I would of liked

New plan, no more rest days, I find that I do take them because of laziness and when I do have one I tend to take the next day aswell and when I don't run I eat more crap, so after reading Tergats post, no more rest days(within reason);)

5.16 miles in 41:06, pace 7:57
    Average HR 75%

My back was alot better but my right knee slightly swollen and feels like it needs to crack.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Woddle wrote: »
    Sat 6th of June
    I find that I do take them because of laziness and when I do have one I tend to take the next day aswell and when I don't run I eat more crap

You sound just like me. I know I'll be bored and have nothing to do if I don't go out so the crap eating is mostly boredom eating methinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Sat 6th of June
    New plan, no more rest days, I find that I do take them because of laziness and when I do have one I tend to take the next day aswell and when I don't run I eat more crap, so after reading Tergats post, no more rest days(within reason);)

Snap! My training partner and I came to this conclusion tonight, I sent him a link with Tergat's posts today, they were read and assimilated and this is what we decided. We'll see how it goes now...

5.1 miles in 39:52, pace 7:49
    Average HR 74%

Nice run, happy with the pace for the HR return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Are either of you planning on the 5k in Raheny on sunday week?

I'm doing it for sure. I want to know what kind of form I'm in, I know I was in good form in March when I ran 19:25, so I want to see how I compare now, good or bad, should be flat enough also. You thinking of doing it.

I'm doing it for sure. I want to know what kind of form I'm in, I know I was in good form in March when I ran 19:25, so I want to see how I compare now, good or bad, should be flat enough also. You thinking of doing it.

Yep looking for a 2 mile or 5k to see what type of form i'm in too.

I was feeling lazy today and then I was looking through woddle juniors sports day pics....
    3619523448_ab74020f14.jpg
    This is her leading of her team in the teddy bear relay :D

Anyway that was enough to motivate me and get me out the door. So up to Marlay for
    5 miles in 39:42, pace 7:56
    Average HR 73%

It's now looking like it will be the 5k in Meath on the 19th as my uncle and cousin are going up and this will allow me to do my long run on the Sunday as normal.

Awww she's a little cutie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Great picture Woddle. She has a great running style.

Your 5k PB will be under threat within the decade. One to watch for the future :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭jlang

No need for gait analysis there.

jlang wrote: »
    No need for gait analysis there.
    Friday sounds like a good race too, I'll prob run sunday I think but will decide on Sunday when I plan out my week.

• Advertisement

The easiest of easy runs
    4.4 miles in 37:07, pace 8:26
    Average HR 69%

Did this run just to keep up my streak of no rest days, thats 5 in a row so far :D

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭kevinkilbane

pity you didnt do the imra race today in wicklow, excellent it was. your uncle said "he should be here, perfect training for a marathon. what is he thinking? he'd wanna cop on. the mountains will put muscles where hes never had em. he doesnt know what hes missing" haha, gas.

sure it was only 4miles in anyway, easy stuff, yeah right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah the 19th looks good, boharmeahan(cant spell) in meath 5km, i did a 5mile on paddys day this year there, nice little town. im doing a 5km tomorrow morning in lucan, didnt know anything about it, but it was in the herald on thursday. so said ill do it, good weekend, two good races. im guessing no point in asking you to go, probably doing 15m in the morning??? dont know if ill break the pb for 5km, after todays race but im going for it!

by the way, i havent entered longford yet, but i will, debating on wheather to do the dublin series 5,10,half over the summer. alot to do.

Fair play to you but uphill only does not appeal to me :D, well done today and best of luck tomorrow.
    Your right 15 planned for the morning :D.

I'll do the 5 and 10 mile of the adidas series and I'm now thinking I'll do the Longford half at marathon pace but I'll see what a few of the folk on here think of that idea first.

Nice early run at 6:30 with figs and ecoli. The only problem with going that early is normally after 7 miles I go into marlay park but gates were closed. Still very enjoyable.
    14 miles in 1'57'08, pace 8:23
    Average HR 72%

We were ticking along nicely at about 8-8:10 pace but from about 9-10 miles I had to slow it down, it seemed to be the legs giving out rather than the aerobic system. 40 miles for the week, so time to step it up a notch, I need to start adding the medium long run into my schedule in the middle of the week but might leave that to the following week as I want to race a 5k on Friday, just to see where I am.

Week to come

Mon-6m easy
    Tue-6m with 4x1m @10k pace, 2 min jog for recovery
    Wed-8m easy
    Thur- 5m with strides
    Fri- 5k race
    Sat- 6m easy
    Sun-15m

Total about 50

I take it you're aiming for the 3 hourish time in Berlin Woddle?

I take it you're aiming for the 3 hourish time in Berlin Woddle?

3 sth alright :D, after the Paris disaster I'm going to be a little more cagy in predicting a time. My main goal for Berlin is to run well which I didn't in Paris and then goal 2 would be a pb, which is anything less than 3:37. Some might think I'm being too negative but it took me quite a while to get over Paris and I'm probably not 100% over it as unlike slogger jogger I've yet to rectify the situation by letting my feet do the talking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

3619523448_ab74020f14.jpg
    This is her leading of her team in the teddy bear relay :D

That form would put many a runner to shame:eek:

I think Lydiard said if you want to see how to run properly watch a child run....he might be onto something looking at that:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

3 sth alright :D, after the Paris disaster I'm going to be a little more cagy in predicting a time. My main goal for Berlin is to run well which I didn't in Paris and then goal 2 would be a pb, which is anything less than 3:37. Some might think I'm being too negative but it took me quite a while to get over Paris and I'm probably not 100% over it as unlike slogger jogger I've yet to rectify the situation by letting my feet do the talking.

Keep training the way you are going and your old PB will be nothing but a faded memory before long

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭kevinkilbane

Fair play to you but uphill only does not appeal to me :D, well done today and best of luck tomorrow.
    Your right 15 planned for the morning :D.

I'll do the 5 and 10 mile of the adidas series and I'm now thinking I'll do the Longford half at marathon pace but I'll see what a few of the folk on here think of that idea first.

i was very happy today. 20.06. i gave it my all, i put down boards ac today. nice course, good atmosphere, wasnt too warm since it was a short race. everything was looking good to get a pb, but after the 3km at 11.55, i had nothing left, no power in the legs. but happy to get a sprint on the track in lucan, 300m before the finish. i had a good weekend training. cork is outta the system.
    11weeks to longford. i entered today... i was looking at your week plan, i notice you have no rest day. your mad, dont know how you do it! by the looks of it, paris is well and truely in the past.

by the way. i got the pic, thanks. i didnt even notice the camera man. that is just before i got onto the track. i dont look it, but i am hanging together ha

• Advertisement

I was hal expecting you to do the full longford as your mileage seems to be high enough already, Glad to hear thats not on the cards :)

Advertisement