Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

yeah the 19th looks good, boharmeahan(cant spell) in meath 5km, i did a 5mile on paddys day this year there, nice little town.

Right county, wrong venue:p Paddy's Day 5 Mile Race was in Ballivor. 19th 5Km is in Bohermeen.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭kevinkilbane

Right county, wrong venue:p Paddy's Day 5 Mile Race was in Ballivor. 19th 5Km is in Bohermeen.:cool:

touche, whoops. your right there. yep, the 5mile was in ballivor, and i should remember that name, took ages to find it that day. i was defo there in anyway.

http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b386/meathathletics/5%20mile%20cship%20BALLIVOR%2017Mar09/?action=view&current=DSC_3203.jpg

there i am, crawling over the line, in bits...
    i look forward to Bohermeen. it be my third race in meath recently. the navan 4mile was excellent.
    sorry bout the mistake meathcountysec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

touche, whoops. your right there. yep, the 5mile was in ballivor, and i should remember that name, took ages to find it that day. i was defo there in anyway.

http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b386/meathathletics/5%20mile%20cship%20BALLIVOR%2017Mar09/?action=view&current=DSC_3203.jpg

there i am, crawling over the line, in bits...
    i look forward to Bohermeen. it be my third race in meath recently. the navan 4mile was excellent.
    sorry bout the mistake meathcountysec

I wouldn't mind but it was my own club's (Fr. Murphy AC) race....

If you think you were in bits then check me out!!!!:eek:

http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b386/meathathletics/5%20mile%20cship%20BALLIVOR%2017Mar09/?action=view&current=DSC_3268.jpg

See you Friday:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

5.5 miles in 43'40, pace 7:56
    Average HR 72%
    http://connect.garmin.com/splits/7185835

Consecutive days running 7, total 45.4 miles , this is to keep for my own records and when I miss a day I'll have a target, a kind of my own best of 2009 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Great to see you getting consistency definitely will benefit. Dunno if you saw my other post about tomorrow training session sorry that i cant make it we definitely make up for it

• Advertisement

I kept it quite but I decided to race tonight instead of Friday. Reasons for this: 1/ I raced a 5 mile in Raheny in Jan 33'07, 2/ I'll learn more from a 5 miler over a 5k, 3/ There is another 5 mile next month so I can monitor my improvement.
    My racing confidence has been low for a while now and I needed to try and do sth about that, so another reason for tonights race.

Mile 1-I started well and felt so comfortable, breathing was good (during the Wicklow relay I got talking to beepbeep about nasal strips, so I gave that a go tonight as I do struggle with sinus problems and they felt great). I refused to look at my watch(I find this easy to do) it beeped after a mile 6:16. Too fast but I was comfortable.
    Mile 2-I caught up with Matt Cooley a good steady runner (must be in his 50s or 60s) but a good benchmark for me. So I stayed with him for all of mile 2, again going well and the watch beeped at 6:36 for the mile.
    Mile 3 doubts started to appear as this is where things went wrong in Cork, so I did make a conscience descision to slow down and ran 6:54 for the mile but I did come close to stopping, my HR seemed to be fine so I can't really explain it. Same scenario happened during mile 4 only I was starting to struggle 7:15 for the mile.
    Mile 5-I told myself fcek it 6:30 mins of running and your finished so I slowly picked up the pace and with 300m to go on the track I went all out and passed the clock at 33'30 with a final mile of 6:26 and I was happy with this, not a pb and slower than Raheny. However I know I didn't commit to this race fully, I backed off between mile 3 and 4.
    What I learned from this race is that my confidence is back and I need to concentrate on more tempo runs. My aim now is 32:30 in the phoenix park 5 miler and I know the course will be tougher but I have a month of good training.
    1.41 miles of a warm up
    5 mile race in 33'30, pace 6:42
    Average HR 84%
    Consecutive days running 8, total 51.81 miles

Great run. I know it was not a PB but when you consider 8 days training and a 14 miler 2 days ago you are definitely in shape to tackle Phoenix Park with a very good time congrats you deserve to be really pleased with that time

Cheers ecoli and just looking back over my stats, it appears my HR went down from miles 2.75 to 4.5 which goes along with my whole confidence thing and taking my foot of the pedal for fear of blowing up and having to walk.

Woddle wrote: »
    Cheers ecoli and just looking back over my stats, it appears my HR went down from miles 2.75 to 4.5 which goes along with my whole confidence thing and taking my foot of the pedal for fear of blowing up and having to walk.

Just make sure to get an easy day tomorrow it been a long week in terms of training and you earned it:D

One last thing congrats to both Orbhsa and Ral3 who both ran PBs, pleasure talking to yous before and after, see you next month in the park ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

I kept it quite but I decided to race tonight instead of Friday. Reasons for this: 1/ I raced a 5 mile in Raheny in Jan 33'07, 2/ I'll learn more from a 5 miler over a 5k, 3/ There is another 5 mile next month so I can monitor my improvement.
    My racing confidence has been low for a while now and I needed to try and do sth about that, so another reason for tonights race.

Mile 1-I started well and felt so comfortable, breathing was good (during the Wicklow relay I got talking to beepbeep about nasal strips, so I gave that a go tonight as I do struggle with sinus problems and they felt great). I refused to look at my watch(I find this easy to do) it beeped after a mile 6:16. Too fast but I was comfortable.
    Mile 2-I caught up with Matt Cooley a good steady runner (must be in his 50s or 60s) but a good benchmark for me. So I stayed with him for all of mile 2, again going well and the watch beeped at 6:36 for the mile.
    Mile 3 doubts started to appear as this is where things went wrong in Cork, so I did make a conscience descision to slow down and ran 6:54 for the mile but I did come close to stopping, my HR seemed to be fine so I can't really explain it. Same scenario happened during mile 4 only I was starting to struggle 7:15 for the mile.
    Mile 5-I told myself fcek it 6:30 mins of running and your finished so I slowly picked up the pace and with 300m to go on the track I went all out and passed the clock at 33'30 with a final mile of 6:26 and I was happy with this, not a pb and slower than Raheny. However I know I didn't commit to this race fully, I backed off between mile 3 and 4.
    What I learned from this race is that my confidence is back and I need to concentrate on more tempo runs. My aim now is 32:30 in the phoenix park 5 miler and I know the course will be tougher but I have a month of good training.
    1.41 miles of a warm up
    Average HR 84%

Solid running there lately Woddle, 8 days now like!
    33:30 is a great time and that last mile you did was massive. Ya have to take great confidence off a recovery in race with a finishing mile like that.

Tempo running should sort the middle part i'd say. If you are aiming for that time in the phoenix park, maybe cut the mileage leading into it (last couple days) a bit?

tisnotover wrote: »
    Solid running there lately Woddle, 8 days now like!
    33:30 is a great time and that last mile you did was massive. Ya have to take great confidence off a recovery in race with a finishing mile like that.

Tempo running should sort the middle part i'd say. If you are aiming for that time in the phoenix park, maybe cut the mileage leading into it (last couple days) a bit?

Thanks
    There will be a mini taper for the 5 miler in the park for sure as its a goal race but tonights was a kind of a spur of the moment decision and well done yourself on your own recent 5 miler, will you do the 5 miler in the park next month?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Thanks
    There will be a mini taper for the 5 miler in the park for sure as its a goal race but tonights was a kind of a spur of the moment decision and well done yourself on your own recent 5 miler, will you do the 5 miler in the park next month?

Thanks Woddle.
    I prob won't travel up to be honest, there's a 5 miler on the week after down here, which i'll give a crack off ...please take a rest day soon ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

1.41 miles of a warm up
    Average HR 84%
    Solid run there, back yourself when it hurts at 2-3 mile , I usually break the race into zones and at 3 miles tell myself it's just one mile left when thats done your at the 4 mile mark and almost home... Pb's hurt :)

I wouldnt worry about any of your races in the past month or two you went from a marathon to running 800/1500m in the space of a few week so the body may not have been ready.

You will Pb in the4 next 5 miler that you focus on just may need to change things around the week of the race , the 14 miles the other day may have cost you some time, So a propper race you'll take lots of time from that.

Well done.

5 miles in 41'58, pace 8'23
    Average HR 66%
    Consecutive days running 9, total 56.81 miles

Nice and easy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

The pace of your easy runs seems to be coming down a fair bit. Great sign when you can hold those sorts of paces with so little effort at this early stage.

The pace of your easy runs seems to be coming down a fair bit. Great sign when you can hold those sorts of paces with so little effort at this early stage.

The legs were tired for sure though but I was very surprised to see how low the HR was especially after last nights race aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

The legs were tired for sure though but I was very surprised to see how low the HR was especially after last nights race aswell.

Yeah Id say the HR would be a better indicator of effort though because your legs are naturally going be shagged after racing (and training in general).

Legs are always fresh for a marathon after a good taper so I would'nt worry about it, low HR is a great sign.

I reckon if you keep going the way you are now you will run a damn good race in Berlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭RAL3

One last thing congrats to both Orbhsa and Ral3 who both ran PBs, pleasure talking to yous before and after, see you next month in the park ;)

Thanks Woddle, likewise, pleasure to meet yourself & Orbhsa.

Was'nt sure it was really was the great Woddle until I saw all the other runners kneel down before you as you made your way to the start line............

8 miles in 65'12, pace 8'09
    average HR 71%, very happy with this and the overall pace as the first 2 miles where uphill.
    Consecutive days running 10, total 64.81 miles

• Advertisement

8 miles in 65'12, pace 8'09
    average HR 71%, very happy with this and the overall pace as the first 2 miles where uphill.
    Consecutive days running 10, total 64.81 miles
    Very simalar run to yours today myself, think i'm finally recovered from the marathon and enjoying ever run now.
    What days are you taking off now or are you running ever day?

shels4ever wrote: »
    Very simalar run to yours today myself, think i'm finally recovered from the marathon and enjoying ever run now.
    What days are you taking off now or are you running ever day?

Glad to hear, it helps with motivation when your feeling good, it makes every run easy.

No rest days or should I say active rest days, last week instead of a day off I replaced it with a very easy 4.4 mile run.
    When I say no rest days it really is within reason but 10 days into it I'm feeling good and energetic, I even cut the grass in the front garden without being asked and I'm sure ecoli and figs can testify, it was at knee height :D my poor wife.

Glad to hear, it helps with motivation when your feeling good, it makes every run easy.

No rest days or should I say active rest days, last week instead of a day off I replaced it with a very easy 4.4 mile run.
    When I say no rest days it really is within reason but 10 days into it I'm feeling good and energetic, I even cut the grass in the front garden without being asked and I'm sure ecoli and figs can testify, it was at knee height :D my poor wife.
    Sounds good, I'll keep an eye on that and see how you go, May try it later in the year if it looks like it works. Are you racing the 5 k on sunday?

shels4ever wrote: »
    Sounds good, I'll keep an eye on that and see how you go, May try it later in the year if it looks like it works. Are you racing the 5 k on sunday?

No after talking with RF it will be just the 1 race and having gotten this race out of the way on a Tuesday will allow me to get a nice long run in on Saturday and be happy with my lot for the week. Are you stil racing and if so what time you thinking of aiming for? I'm assuming you'll be hoping to improve on the marlay 5k, I reckon sub 21

No after talking with RF it will be just the 1 race and having gotten this race out of the way on a Tuesday will allow me to get a nice long run in on Saturday and be happy with my lot for the week. Are you stil racing and if so what time you thinking of aiming for? I'm assuming you'll be hoping to improve on the marlay 5k, I reckon sub 21
    Yep going to give it a lash, have only had 2 weeks propper training so not sure how it will do. Marley i ran 22:30 so would hope to start to push the 20 mins mark... but 6:25 pace maybe a bit much for now.

Sub 21:00 sounds good but I think i may go out a bit faster then that.

I want to be sub 20 mins in 4-6 weeks time so this will be a good guide.

Best of luck with that, I think we're closer now than ever before, so going to have to start watching my back :D

Best of luck with that, I think we're closer now than ever before, so going to have to start watching my back :D

Thats the plan.

You tackled the garden? a braver man than I:D

5 miles easy in 41'27, pace 8'17
    Average HR 66%, the heart rate monitor must be broke or sth :D delighted to have it so low but my legs are a bit tired, plan is 15 tomorrow morn with ecoli and I might take Sunday off, my wife is away and I have a skip to fill and kids with chicken pox to mind and it's suppose to be fathers day :D

I went out with my cousin and uncle to the 5k in Meath, I was only watching, my cousin ran well in 19'45 and I got to meet meathcountysec running with his daughter and rural runner, it was a pleasure and congrats on the pb, look forward to meeting you again in the park next month.
    I'll have some pics up tomorrow night probably, might even have a few beers and reward myself for 12 straight days :p

Consecutive days running 11, total 69.81 miles

• Advertisement

9.63 miles in 1'24'41, pace 8'47
    Average HR 69%

This was suppose to be a 15 miler but when I woke this morning at 6:30 I already had my doubts at finishing this. My legs were tired, I didn't eat alot yesterday and no breakfat before the run and a late night to boot. Out I went anyway, pace was slow, couple of tough climbs at mile 4 and 5, saw jlang at the top cycling up Kilakee road, now thats a tough climb.
    Headed into marlay park and after 7 miles I sat down on the bench and had a talk with myself. I asked what will be the outcome if you complete the 15 miles and my answer was a poor weeks training next week and I remembered one of the laws of training from lore of running ''don't set your daily schedule in stone'', so I convinced myself to cut it short. It was the right decision and I'm looking forward to next week rather than dreading it. Thinking of taking tomorrow off as I will have to organise a babysitter and I'm quite happy with the last 12 days.
    Consecutive days running 12, total 79.44 miles

Advertisement