Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭kevinkilbane

that 79.44miles sounds excellent, doesnt it? tough one this morning, the body is probably telling ya something, or else maybe it was those burgers :D, you should have stuck to the sambos, they were lovely! a nice rest day tomorrow will do ya well, you'll be flying next week.
    i had a quicl look on race pix, im guessing theyre some of your pictures, a few mad looking faces on the sprint finish, not looking forward to seeing mine ha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

that 79.44miles sounds excellent, doesnt it? tough one this morning, the body is probably telling ya something, or else maybe it was those burgers :D, you should have stuck to the sambos, they were lovely! a nice rest day tomorrow will do ya well, you'll be flying next week.
    i had a quicl look on race pix, im guessing theyre some of your pictures, a few mad looking faces on the sprint finish, not looking forward to seeing mine ha.

Rest day tomorrow I think. All pictures are up now. I thought you were heading to Slane?
    How you feeling after your good race performance last night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Woddle wrote: »
    Rest day tomorrow I think. All pictures are up now. I thought you were heading to Slane?

I've a had a few days like that myself this week - I put it down to consecutive days (15) and not watching my water intake. Enjoy the day off tomorrow!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

12 consecutive days is great work. Enjoy your rest day, they're always better when you decide beforehand that it's going to be a rest day instead of it hanging over your head all day whether you're going out or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Sorry again about this morning think my body was telling me i need the sleep more with the increase in training. No point in killing yourself alrite take it easy and enjoy your well earned rest day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Ruarl Runner

Hey Woddle... It was nice to put a face to the blog. Enjoy the rest day but stay off those burgers :D!!

I see I managed to avoid the lens in Bohermeen, Looking forward to the 5 miler in the park... Until then keep up the good work!!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭kevinkilbane

yeah i saw the pic, it didnt show how bad my arms were for the sprint, phew!!!
    i was feeling great yesterday morning. i did go to slane, didnt leave until the afternoon though, did a bit of training there, jumping around like a mad man all evening during the concert, and then afterwards, had to walk for over 3hours to get a bus. good workout. unreal it was. got up late today, did a small run.
    hope your fathers day went well. nice rest, ready for another 2weeks of solid training???? ha
    im looking forward to saturday now, i read the thread on it.

hope your fathers day went well. nice rest, ready for another 2weeks of solid training???? ha
    im looking forward to saturday now, i read the thread on it.

Well my fathers day and rest day involved clearing the shed,attic and side of the house into a skip. Entertaining 2 kids (I let them play in my car while I worked) and my wife came home at about 6pm to find I had the house spotless and I still got to watch some athletics from 4 on but I'm nackered now.
    Saturday should be class and weather is to be good, I think.

6 miles in 49'38, pace 8'16
    Average HR 74%

Very warm but enjoyable out there. After my run it was on to the bike for a 4.5 mile cycle in to town to learn a bit about nutrition and then a cycle home with a dodgy back wheel.

8-10 miles with 2x2 mile at 6'50 pace for tomorrow, I want to get the speed session over and done with so the legs will be well ready for Tingles session on Saturday :D

Nearly 40 sth days into my Berlin schedule but yet I feel I havn't even started. I feel I've alot of hard work to catch up with.
    Yesterdays run didn't happen, I was all togged out and ready to go, just had to wait for my wife to come home from work and she did with a splitting head ache, so she asked me to wait till the kids went to be, so I did and at 9pm I got the all clear to go but at this stage I was pretty wiped, so I had a lazy rest day. This proves my point of no rest days for me as when I take one I end up taking another.

Now todays run was another disaster, my hay fever has been really acting up and with a headache and little motivation I headed out for planned session, see above.
    Just didn't feel it and I got 5 miles in and about to start my second 2 mile tempo when I felt a niggle in my right calf, I tried to stretch it but still felt uncomfortable so I headed home. Now a miracle happened on the way home, my calf started feeling better and by the time I got to my doorstep it was gone. Did I really just convince myself of an injury to cut my run short? :confused:
    Anyway
    5.95 miles in 46'11, pace 7'46. Two miles at tempo, 6'58,6'57 and they actually felt fine.
    Average HR 76%, still don't understand why its staying so low but yet the legs feel tired.

• Advertisement

Nearly 40 sth days into my Berlin schedule but yet I feel I havn't even started. I feel I've alot of hard work to catch up with.
    Yesterdays run didn't happen, I was all togged out and ready to go, just had to wait for my wife to come home from work and she did with a splitting head ache, so she asked me to wait till the kids went to be, so I did and at 9pm I got the all clear to go but at this stage I was pretty wiped, so I had a lazy rest day. This proves my point of no rest days for me as when I take one I end up taking another.

Now todays run was another disaster, my hay fever has been really acting up and with a headache and little motivation I headed out for planned session, see above.
    Just didn't feel it and I got 5 miles in and about to start my second 2 mile tempo when I felt a niggle in my right calf, I tried to stretch it but still felt uncomfortable so I headed home. Now a miracle happened on the way home, my calf started feeling better and by the time I got to my doorstep it was gone. Did I really just convince myself of an injury to cut my run short? :confused:
    Anyway
    5.95 miles in 46'11, pace 7'46. Two miles at tempo, 6'58,6'57 and they actually felt fine.
    Average HR 76%, still don't understand why its staying so low but yet the legs feel tired.

Glad to see the session went well sure alot of the time it the thought of a session alot worse than actually doing it. wouldnt worry too much about the heart rate i mean alot of factors come into it and as tergats views on rest days is takes three days to get back to where you were

It's amazing how much running can change your mood, in less than 12 hours I've gone from feeling crap about my training to being quite content this morning.
    I got a text late last night to see if I fancied a run early tomorrow morning. I said yep so up at 5:45 and out the door at 6:15 for 7 delightful miles with my new running buddy from crusaders. We're both aiming for similar marathon times only his focus is Dublin, mine Berlin.

7 miles in 57'11, pace 8'10
    Average HR 74%
    Consecutive days running 2, total 12.95 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

It's amazing how much running can change your mood, in less than 12 hours I've gone from feeling crap about my training to being quite content this morning.
    I got a text late last night to see if I fancied a run early tomorrow morning. I said yep so up at 5:45 and out the door at 6:15 for 7 delightful miles with my new running buddy from crusaders. We're both aiming for similar marathon times only his focus is Dublin, mine Berlin.

7 miles in 57'11, pace 8'10
    Average HR 74%
    Consecutive days running 2, total 12.95 miles

That was one early start this morning! Glad to hear things are looking up again. Decent tempo run yesterday by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

7 miles in 57'11,

More of the above, please. I think pushing your 5mile/40min runs up to the hour mark will be helpful for you.

More of the above, please. I think pushing your 5mile/40min runs up to the hour mark will be helpful for you.

+1 your aerobic fitness doesnt really begin to improve until after 40 min anything up to this is really just maintaining your current aerobic capacity

5 miles in 40'12,pace 8'02
    Average HR 73%
    Consecutive days running 3, total 17.95 miles

Thinking of doindg sth later but will see how the weather is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

Different things work for different people, but this sounds like backward logic to me. You took a rest day and then missed the following day because of family life stresses. And your solution is to get rid of the rest day?

If you are missing sessions, it might be a better idea to make your programme a bit easier (rather than harder) and build back up gradually.

To be honest I don't think my schedule is that demanding, so I don't think I need too many rest days, that rest day in question was more me being lazy, I should have got up earlier that morning and got the run in as I kind of knew there would be a 50:50 chance I wouldn't get out as she told me she wasn't great the night before(shes pregnant aswell :D) so I think its making better use of my time, cheers for the feedback though.
    And my wife finishes work on Tuesday for the whole summer so that should leave me with lots of free time to get sorted :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

I kind of knew there would be a 50:50 chance I wouldn't get out as she told me she wasn't great the night before(shes pregnant aswell :D) :D

Congrats Woddle.
    All the early morning rises for training will stand to you when junior no. 3 arrives.
    Now get some sleep in the bank over the next few months..;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

congrats woddle
    good to see another future Boards AC member on the way:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

ya congrats Woddle. Good stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

fantastic , congrats , will this be no 3 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Hey congrats. Great news :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

More fun soon for you all day long... Congrats!

Seres wrote: »
    fantastic , congrats , will this be no 3 ?

Yep number 3, I have two girls already 5 and 3 and really looking forward to it but my God(guy thing here) I wonder will she ever stop complaining and it's not like you can tell her to put a sock in it :D, I must try to be nicer though as on the first I would have done anything for her.

Getting her pregnant was a well thought out plan, theroadrunner can vouch for that, I told him the plan months ago, and that was if I have another kid I'll get another 5 years of work* :D and can concentrate on good training(stay at home dad)

*Obviously not the sole reason for having a baby :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

I wonder will she ever stop complaining and it's not like you can tell her to put a sock in it :D,

Congrats Woddle, and with charm like that how could she possibly have resisted you?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭jlang

another 5 years of work*
    .. or another 5 years off work? ;)

Congratulations!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

great news Woddle, congrats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭Peckham

Great news. Does this plan you mention have it all timed around particular races (i.e. get a big marathon done just before the baby is due, and then take a few months recovery)? ;)

• Advertisement

Congrats on the third. keep this up and Boards Ac will have its own army of juvenilles before to long:D

Advertisement