Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Great news good work ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Congrats woddle....you are starting your own mini army

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Congratulations Woddle. What is with this baby boom...about 5 people in work have recently announced pregnancies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Congratulations Woddle. What is with this baby boom...about 5 people in work have recently announced pregnancies.

Its the dreaded "R" in times like this there always an increase. Wait till winter kicks in will be worse:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Woddle wrote: »
    Getting her pregnant was a well thought out plan, theroadrunner can vouch for that, I told him the plan months ago, and that was if I have another kid I'll get another 5 years of work* :D and can concentrate on good training(stay at home dad)

Ha Ha. Congrats to you and the OH.

Yes I can vouch that this was a well laid (hmm hmm :)) plan. At the time and even now I wasn't too sure if the Mrs had been consulted :) You didn't surprise her and sabotage her in any way now did you ? :D

Congrats again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Ha Ha. Congrats to you and the OH.

Yes I can vouch that this was a well laid (hmm hmm :)) plan. At the time and even now I wasn't too sure if the Mrs had been consulted :) You didn't surprise her and sabotage her in any way now did you ? :D

Congrats again.

So is TheRoadRuner branching out into family planning now?

shels4ever wrote: »
    So is TheRoadRuner branching out into family planning now?

Yep, I provide a mobile service. I give advice on different techniques during training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭jlang

Where was that thread about how many miles you should be running to end up with a boy or girl?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

jlang wrote: »
    Where was that thread about how many miles you should be running to end up with a boy or girl?

Forgot about this
    Looks like I'll be having a third girl so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

Hi Woddle, Congrats on the baby news!!
    Wishing you all the best of luck :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

congrats on the baby Woddle and best of luck tomorrow in the 10k!

tisnotover wrote: »
    congrats on the baby Woddle and best of luck tomorrow in the 10k!

I must state, we(she) still has a good bit to go, can't wait though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I must state, we(she) still has a good bit to go, can't wait though

Congrats to both of you - I'm gonna stick with 2 ;)

Had a very informative session with Tingle, see here, def learned alot and can add it to my schedule.
    After that I headed up to Dunshaughlan for the 10k, the plan originally was to get under 42 and get as close to 40 as possible. The other things I wanted to try for this race was 1/to try and eat before a race(couple of hours) and 2/ to start of slow and work in to it.
    I now know for a 100% that eating before races does not suit me, don't know how many times I swallowed my own vomit during the race and am happy enough not to try again. Regarding starting slower, this I did 6'42 for the 1st mile compared with 6'16 for a 5 miler last week. 6'46 for mile 2, started to feel unwell here and ral3 went passed me and tried to get me going but I had made my mind up I was done and I didn't really mind in the least, so I started to slow down the pace and the next few mile splits were 7'36, 7'43 and 8'05 then I picked it up knowing the end was in sight and ran 8'20 for the last 1.2 miles.
    Overall I'm happy, great course and I'll be back next year, got to meet alot of people, which I'm really enjoying doing :D oh and it was still a pb by 9 mins
    finish time 45'12
    consecutive days running 4, distance 25.15

Thanks again to Tingle and everyone who turned up for the session, it was excellent.

Well done on the PB but if I'm honest I would have skipped the race if I were you. You probably stretched muscles you didn't even realise you had this afternoon and injury can very easily follow fatigue. Having said that I have done similar things in the past so ignore at your discretion :)

Congrats on the PB - I know you were hoping for faster - but stick down to experience and move - I was surprised you were racing after the session with Tingle - head down for the 5 miler now!
    I now know for a 100% that eating before races does not suit me,

Out of curiosity what did you eat and how soon before the run did you eat?

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity what did you eat and how soon before the run did you eat?
    :D
    This is what will make me sound more stupid, they had no brown bread rolls left, so I went with a white bread roll with my usual ham,cheese,tomatoe and egg. Not the best choice but I wasn't really thinking that far ahead.
    I saw a guy in your club colours so I said hello, he was parked beside me and I don't thik he could believe his eyes, seeing me an hour and a half before the race munching on this roll. Nice chap, Mike was his name,english bloke.

Roadrunner your dead right I should have given it a miss, I'm so stiff and I didn't think I did anything too strenous.

Not the best food choice :rolleyes:.
    I find for a session or a race I need to leave 3hrs and keep the food quite neutral, non acidic and nothing that would promote bowl movements (high fibre, beans, eggs).
    If it's a morning run it's porridge and a banana, if it's the 2nd or 3rd meal of the day it's plain pasta or non wheat cereal with a small amount of milk and if I'm out and about it's something like oat cookies or flapjacks.
    Mike's a nice chap alright and getting back into form - did he try to sell you anything :D?

I was very stiff today but said I would go out for 4 or 5 but once out mile by mile I got quicker and loosened up and ended up doing 7. I'm going to try and replace my 5 mile runs with 7 mile runs. I'm heading to Wexford on Tuesday so I have the perfect route for this Hook to Duncannon where I'll get the wife and kids to meet me and hopefully the good weather will continue and allow me to have a dip in the sea. My training tends to suffer when I go to Wexford through being lazy but not this time ;)

7.15 miles in 58'53, pace 8'14
    Average HR 68%
    consecutive days running 5, distance 32.30

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭kevinkilbane

fair play today woddle. dont know how you made it 7miles. i needed the rest day. little stiff this morning. so i went to croke park, had a few drinks afterwards, and didnt run at all. training has started though, i swear!
    enjoy wexford, eat well, and maybe even take a rest day you crazy crazy man ha

• Advertisement

Amazingly I did the exact same time as yesterday for the exact same route.
    7.17 miles in 58'53, pace 8'13
    Average HR 71%
    consecutive days running 6, distance 39.47

9.68 miles in 1'19'09, pace 8'11, including 9x100 meters after every 0.93 miles
    Average HR 73%
    consecutive days running 7, distance 49.15

Month of June total 154 miles
    Rest days 6, 4 of which were taken in the first 8 days :rolleyes: I'm happy with the comeback since then.

Target for July 200 miles and 2/3 rest days and more pmp runs

Oh and to finish the 1000 mile challenge :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Strides today? Do you not think you'd benefit more from them if you did them at the end of the sesh, as tergat says? I initally thought they should be done as you did today, but that post explained it well thast they should be done in one set at the end, feeling relatively comfortable.
    Just a thought and keep up the good work :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

christeb wrote: »
    Strides today? Do you not think you'd benefit more from them if you did them at the end of the sesh, as tergat says? I initally thought they should be done as you did today, but that post explained it well thast they should be done in one set at the end, feeling relatively comfortable.

THey can be done during as i used to do this also as can help simulate a change of pace during your running and as long as you keep them relatively easy so dont take anything out of you.

christeb wrote: »

Good question, I normally do them both ways throughout my marathon cycle but today I planned to run a couple of fast miles in between but after half a mile I knew that was out of the question but I still wanted to add sth along the way so I decided on the strides, I go every 0.93 miles and wait till the watch beeps to mark a mile and I must say doing them as I did today really adds to your concentration which I need. Keep up the good work yourself, how you finding the no or little rest days?
    I personally am loving it and out of the last 22 days I've only had 2 days off, I plan my next day off to be next Monday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Good question, I normally do them both ways throughout my marathon cycle but today I planned to run a couple of fast miles in between but after half a mile I knew that was out of the question but I still wanted to add sth along the way so I decided on the strides, I go every 0.93 miles and wait till the watch beeps to mark a mile and I must say doing them as I did today really adds to your concentration which I need. Keep up the good work yourself, how you finding the no or little rest days?
    I personally am loving it and out of the last 22 days I've only had 2 days off, I plan my next day off to be next Monday

So far so good, I took last Fri off but prior to that *checks sched* I had 13 days on the trot. Nothing planned off in the foreseeable future, although I have a work thing on Thurs, might be too tired to do anything in the AM due to the Duathlon tomorrow night. It's amazing the complex planning that goes into running one little race in October!!!

5.15 miles in the refreshing rain
    Average HR 68%
    consecutive days running 8, distance 54.30

I woke at 5:15 this morning and couldn't get back asleep (the rain bouncing of the sky light :mad:) so I started reading the running times and an article about Nate Jenkins and how hard the guy trains (even if it does seem crazy), so I said get your ass out of bed and get your run over with so I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Hey Woddle, just catching up on your log this morning as I have not had much time in the last few weeks. Congrats on the new PB. You smashed mine but hopefully I can set a new mark in Firhouse in September. Also congrats on the good news for you and your wife. Enjoy the holidays and keep up the good work.

Yesterday I went to Waterford with the kids to the cinema and on the way back I had my wife drop me off at Ramsgrange where I ran the 6.54 miles home, this included 6x800m with 800m jog in between and a route that was mainly uphill. I got soaked aswell but glad to get out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

Fair play to you for trying out the food thing. It's very easy to get into loads of silly little routines that might not have any effect - other than to give you more to worry about on race day.

Advertisement