Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Nutter. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Nutter. ;)

:D I'm paying for it now, so stiff and I had 4 kids to look after, only sitting down now. The last 3 miles felt so similar to last weeks marathon.

Today 13.1 miles in 1'48'17, pace 8'15
    Average HR 176/205

I had no idea how the legs would hold up but I decided on the start line that I would stick with RAL3 for as long as possible, as long as possible turned out to be 3 miles, 7'09, 7'10', 7'10 and then I had to let him go, my quads started feeling terrible and I could feel it with every stride. I went by 5 miles in 37 mins and 10 miles in 79 mins so a good work out today, I had to stop a few times to at least try and stretch the quads. I was just going to float over the line but with a 1000 meters to go Racoon Queen said hello and she looked to be very comfortable and I did not want to let her take my scalp so I covered the last K very quickly and the last 200 meters in 37 seconds. However it didn't make a difference she still beat me by 3 mins :D well done RQ
    A very enjoyable race, credit to the organisers and it was a great session for me in paticular for improving my mental toughness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Nutter. ;)

I second that ....and you talk about my " motivation "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Good going woddle, it shows great strength to bounce back from Berlin so well.

Sosa wrote: »
    I second that ....and you talk about my " motivation "

True and it was so funny to see krustys face as he saw me at the 7 mile mark, tough going and am now trying to motivate myself to get ready to go out for drinks, I'd rather sleep

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Woddle wrote: »
    True and it was so funny to see krustys face as he saw me at the 7 mile mark, tough going and am now trying to motivate myself to get ready to go out for drinks, I'd rather sleep
    +1
    I was only half shocked to see youin the starting pen.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭RAL3

:D I'm paying for it now, so stiff and I had 4 kids to look after, only sitting down now. The last 3 miles felt so similar to last weeks marathon.

Today 13.1 miles in 1'48'17, pace 8'15
    Average HR 176/205

I had no idea how the legs would hold up but I decided on the start line that I would stick with RAL3 for as long as possible, as long as possible turned out to be 3 miles, 7'09, 7'10', 7'10 and then I had to let him go, my quads started feeling terrible and I could feel it with every stride. I went by 5 miles in 37 mins and 10 miles in 79 mins so a good work out today, I had to stop a few times to at least try and stretch the quads. I was just going to float over the line but with a 1000 meters to go Racoon Queen said hello and she looked to be very comfortable and I did not want to let her take my scalp so I covered the last K very quickly and the last 200 meters in 37 seconds. However it didn't make a difference she still beat me by 3 mins :D well done RQ
    A very enjoyable race, credit to the organisers and it was a great session for me in paticular for improving my mental toughness.

As I said to you at the 3m mark 'you're a legend'!

I reckoned the competitive juices would start flowing after the off even though you were saying before the start that you were going to take it easy. So I was smiling when you appeared at my shoulder for the first few miles!!

Anyway well done on a very solid post Berlin run, it should give you great confidence for putting in a good performance in the DM.

I ended with with 1:34:20, a pb of about 6 minutes which was great, but I was hoping to get under 1:33 and I was a bit dissappointed with the way I faded badly in the last 2 miles.

You looked very strong in the finishing stretch, but then again I didnt realise at the time that you were motivated by trying to catch a woman!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Madness .. madness ..Can't believe you did the half Sat (yes its Sunday am now)
    But well done in Berlin though. I knew it would be hotter than last year .. yes as it was as a week earlier in 2009

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Fair play running on sat so soon after Berlin to it going to give you the hunger to keep pushing away keep it up

Hey Woddle,
    Some cowboy has changed your 1000m thread to km's...

• Advertisement

Hey Woddle,

I saw that earlier, it gave me a good oul laugh, can you imagine the effort he put it in to change it.
    Also the 1625km thread just doesn't have the same appeal :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Hey Woddle,

I think we've seen him off ;).
    A possy of us horn-swogglers saw the beat-nick to the edge of town and gave him a damn good thrashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

I saw that earlier, it gave me a good oul laugh, can you imagine the effort he put it in to change it.
    Also the 1625km thread just doesn't have the same appeal :D

I thought maybe it was your new alias woddle, doing something that the real woddle would never do in a clever bluff hmmmmmm

I thought maybe it was your new alias woddle, doing something that the real woddle would never do in a clever bluff hmmmmmm

Afraid not your stuck with woddle :D

I took 3 full days off after the half just to make sure all is OK (probably didn't need the 3).
    Today 5 miles in 39'11, pace 7'49
    Average HR 170/205

This session included 9x0.25 miles with 0.25 miles recovery, I averaged 1'40 per 1/4 which is OK a little slower than what I was doing them in but all things considered I'm happy although this session has left me with a few doubts of going sub 20 on Sunday in the Rathfarnham 5k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Afraid not your stuck with woddle :D

I took 3 full days off after the half just to make sure all is OK (probably didn't need the 3).
    Today 5 miles in 39'11, pace 7'49
    Average HR 170/205

This session included 9x0.25 miles with 0.25 miles recovery, I averaged 1'40 per 1/4 which is OK a little slower than what I was doing them in but all things considered I'm happy although this session has left me with a few doubts of going sub 20 on Sunday in the Rathfarnham 5k.

I wouldnt worry too much about this week i was the same not happy with my session the yesterday not where i would have liked to been but one session dont make you or break you and you have the strength to pull out a good time and dip under prob just a bit rusty after the half will stand to ya just to get the legs moving slightly quicker will benefit you come Sunday Best of luck and ill see you there

Anyway I didn't get the session I wanted done today so will have to be tomorrow.
    I'm planning on 5x2 mile laps of Marlay park with each lap being 15 seconds a mile faster than the last. Looking forward to it. This is hopefully going to be my answer to fading badly at the end of a marathon.

Today 3.06 miles in 25'07, pace 8'12
    Average HR 69%

Delighted to have my laptop back :D

Thanks Shels, it felt good though and the heart rate stayed right down.
    Tonight 2.15 miles in 14'59, pace 7'00
    Average HR 172/205

Strange one this, no plan for this run I just wanted to get out and when I did I just started running fast, quite a nice run. I think this could be the run for me, what I mean is those days you just don't want to go out but 15 mins quick is better than nothing?

Same route as last Friday
    2.15 miles in 14'36, pace 6'47
    Average HR 80% same as last week

So I'm quicker this week but with the same output as last week, nice.
    I was looking over my log for 2002 and I ran tonights route in 13'55 so thats one of my new targets to hammer that :D
    Never got around to the 10 miler, so hopefully just an easy run tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Good luck in Rathfarnham tomorrow - what's the strategy? 4min ks and let it all hang loose on the final downhill section?

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Good luck in Rathfarnham tomorrow - what's the strategy? 4min ks and let it all hang loose on the final downhill section?

Thanks, I'm going to go with the not look at your watch strategy, I'm going to fly off, struggle through the middle before going banannas for the last K :D

Today
    5 miles in 41'40, pace 8'21
    Average HR 69%, legs were tired from last nights effort.

Thanks, I'm going to go with the not look at your watch strategy, I'm going to fly off, struggle through the middle before going banannas for the last K :D

Today
    5 miles in 41'40, pace 8'21
    Average HR 69%, legs were tired from last nights effort.
    Maybe try the "Don't wear a watch" , and see how it goes? Best of luck a sub 20 should be on the cards.

• Advertisement

The mental torture/pressure I put on myself before races is so stupid and it was back again in force but glad to say I was able to put it out of my mind come race time. Weather was fantastic. Last night I wrote a number down 21'05, this was my split from the first half of the Pearl izumi 5k, so that was my main target, thoughts of sub 20 were still there also though.
    I started my warm up far too late (too busy talking) and this def caused the lactic acid to build up a little quicker, well that and the fact that I ran far too quickly for the first K 3'39 :eek:
    I just tried to hold on to this and the next K was 4'06 which I thought great, now you still have a few seconds to lose but this is where the lactic acid really kicked in 4'18 and 4'22. I then tried to run under 4 for the last K but 4'05 was what I managed. I def felt I could have given a little more especially at the end.

So 20'33, pace 6'34 a mile
    Average HR 87%

Well done Woddle,you have had a marathon and a half in recent weeks...
    Tough going to throw in a short fast one in the mix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well done Woddle. Still going strong. Any races planned for this evening? :D

This was a spur of the moment session. I left the house and tried to concentrate on form a bit better (my uncle commented on my stride during Rathfarnham) and with this came me running faster than intended, so I looked at the garmin to see what pace I was doing and the watch was still working in kilometers from yesterdays race so I decided to go 1k fastish/ 1k slowish.

4'30
    4'21
    4'23
    4'06
    Feel great for doing it and now thats speed sessions out of the way for the week, till the novice.

So 5.05 miles in 38'20, pace 7'35
    Average HR 77%

Pfitzinger 5k
    I'm probably getting carried away but I have my next 2 races lined up that I really want to focus on. The 5k is the main attraction and thats the Jingle bells 5k, it will be 5 weeks after Dublin which apparently is the right amount of time to reep the benefits of a marathon. I'll be doing sessions from the above link and am glad to have found a plan that I like and that is HR based.

The next race is a week after and thats the Waterford half, I just want to PB in this (<1'48 will do :D ).

Feeling good about my running now.

Howya woddle,
    Congrats on 5k Sunday, quick time.

I hope to do Waterford aswell so might see ya there. Picked up my foam roller today and used it for the first, definitely seemed to loosen things up a bit.

Just wondering, did u get my boards ac form int' post today

I sure did, thanks and it's been scanned and emailed across to the secretary, so you should get a mail from him in a couple of days. Glad to hear you got the foam roller. Did anyone show you how to use it properly? if not pick up a copy of the latest issue of the Irish runner.

Ok cheers for the tip, I googled itb exercises and found some dude demonstrating them in YouTube video, seemed pretty good, and I could definitely feel it, but the more I rolled the less sore it was :)

The next race is a week after and thats the Waterford half, I just want to PB in this (<1'48 will do :D ).

Feeling good about my running now.
    Whats the date for the waterford half, ?

• Advertisement

shels4ever wrote: »
    Whats the date for the waterford half, ?

12th of December, could be a nice Boards AC target?

Advertisement