Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Woddle wrote: »
    12th of December, could be a nice Boards AC target?

The date looks good for me, was looking for some target around that time will depend on the Xc races etc but it maybe an option. i don't believe your 1:48 target ;) if i run i'll be going for 1:40 :00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Think i ll join you's with the waterford race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Think i ll join you's with the waterford race.

Great stuff Kennyb, so that could be 3 of us alright, we could possibly make this handicap race like the pearl izumi one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Great stuff Kennyb, so that could be 3 of us alright, we could possibly make this handicap race like the pearl izumi one?
    ha ha yeah my glass legs are my handicap! would be good to get a few boardies down alright.

Once we base it on current half marathon pb's ;)

• Advertisement

shels4ever wrote: »
    Once we base it on current half marathon pb's ;)

I'm happy with that :D

Maybe current 5 mile or 10k times would be best. Will start a thread and see if there is much interest

6.85 miles in 56'14, pace 8'13
    Average HR 71%

I still need to get that lsr in :rolleyes: It'll have to be tomorrow.

Well after 7 days on the trot I ended up taking yesterday off.
    Today I met up with a friend who ran 21'30 in the Rathfarnham 5K and who wants to improve for the Jingle bells, so I had him do 3x1k with 2 mile warm up and 3 mins jogging for recovery, I joined him on the first and we ran it in 3'53 (probably a bit quick for him, his next 2 were also good in 4'06 and 4'06. While he was doing rep 2 & 3 I changed into my spikes and went for a jog and introduced 4x30 seconds. I really enjoyed this run, a lovely evening in Marlay park.

5.18 miles in 42'11, pace 8'09
    Average HR 69%

I've talked (I've set him up a boards account) my mate into starting a log, so keep an eye out for TheRok :D

Heart rate was fantastically low on this run, which I like
    5.29 miles in 44'51, pace 8'29
    Average HR 66%

Todays run included 5x120 meter strides all done in about 22 seconds.
    I was watching Ryan Halls workout last night and I was watching his form in paticular his arms, he tends to keep his shoulders low and not alot of arm swing but enough, so when my shoulders were getting uncomfortable during my run which they do often ( I tend to run with my shoulders tense and high) I decided to mimic Ryan Halls movement and it actually felt so much more comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭kevinkilbane

Heart rate was fantastically low on this run, which I like
    5.29 miles in 44'51, pace 8'29
    Average HR 66%

Todays run included 5x120 meter strides all done in about 22 seconds.
    I was watching Ryan Halls workout last night and I was watching his form in paticular his arms, he tends to keep his shoulders low and not alot of arm swing but enough, so when my shoulders were getting uncomfortable during my run which they do often ( I tend to run with my shoulders tense and high) I decided to mimic Ryan Halls movement and it actually felt so much more comfortable.

i read your log and i showed it to your uncle today. he laughed, he gave out, he slagged, and had alot to say. so because hes so bad at typing, i typed but he said it. here is his opinion/lecture....

"What are you doing??? since rathfarnham, you have not mentioned/nor has your training got anything to do with the MARATHON. why? jingle bells is a long way away, and you will do fine in it, the waterford half is even after. FORGET THEM!!!! concentrate on the marathon. its two weeks. have you ran more than 15mile since berlin?
    you would want to get a grip. speed sessions??? 2weeks before, no no.
    Pfitzinger 5km plan???? why are you even reading that?
    you need a kick up the arse"

• Advertisement

i read your log and i showed it to your uncle today. he laughed, he gave out, he slagged, and had alot to say. so because hes so bad at typing, i typed but he said it. here is his opinion/lecture....

"What are you doing??? since rathfarnham, you have not mentioned/nor has your training got anything to do with the MARATHON. why? jingle bells is a long way away, and you will do fine in it, the waterford half is even after. FORGET THEM!!!! concentrate on the marathon. its two weeks. have you ran more than 15mile since berlin?
    you would want to get a grip. speed sessions??? 2weeks before, no no.
    Pfitzinger 5km plan???? why are you even reading that?
    you need a kick up the arse"

:D
    He's so funny but probably correct.
    No I havn't done more than 15 (Monday I promise), I suppose I'm guilty of trying to fit too much into a small period of time.
    To be honest not making a show of myself tomorrow is pretty high on my list of to dos :D
    Hows your training going, you still racing tomorrow, now go put your mileage in the 1000 mile thread, and did you race today ?

:D
    He's so funny but probably correct.
    No I havn't done more than 15 (Monday I promise), I suppose I'm guilty of trying to fit too much into a small period of time.
    To be honest not making a show of myself tomorrow is pretty high on my list of to dos :D
    Hows your training going, you still racing tomorrow, now go put your mileage in the 1000 mile thread, and did you race today ?

you wont make a show of yourself tomorrow. dont worry, just enjoy the race and run it, dont stop! why did you do the speeds stuff during the week when two 15miles on tuesday n thursday would have so much better, 5-8mile on friday, rest saturday and race on sunday... the uncle also said "woddle needs a coach" haha.

my training is going well, was in bits on tuesday, caught in the rain which ruined my cool down. so wednesday and thursday werent my best days. rest friday and today. i was under orders to rest thurs fri and sat, but didnt run hard on thurs. i cannot wait for the race tomorrow in tarmonbarry, im going to run it with the real runner, so hopefully ill keep up with him most of the way, hes quick for a 59 year old though!
    and im up to 1036 miles, ill put it up soon and ive to put up my predicted marathon time. 3.59

Anxiety about this race kicked in last night, couldn't sleep so I stayed up till 2am watching Ironman Hawaii. O woke early again thinking of all the what ifs regarding this race, I felt I was in over my head.
    Anyway I togged out and was heading to the park when my wife thought it would be a good idea to join me and of course we'll bring the kids. I was delighted for the company but it turned out to be a disaster, both my daughters and wife have a fear of dogs and this led to alot of crying on their behalf and they were actually making quite a scene, so I tried to bring them away from the dogs but nothing was helping so I saw this as my opportunity to pull out of the race but with about 15 mins to go I was talked back into running (I must say I felt like a bit of a dope in front of the lads with my will he won't he crap, sorry), so I headed back over to the family to tell them I would indeed be running only to find them surrounded by 3 dogs playing fetch with their owner, at this stage my wife took the kids back to the car and I was left sprinting to the start line only to get there just on time. So no warm up and I felt this badly with what I felt was a quick start. I hated the hills they were small but still zapped me of any energy, after the first lap I was about 10 seconds behing Gerard65 but on the second lap I couldn't maintain the pace and felt I was going backwards after lap 2 I was about 20 seconds behind Gerard65 but about 20 people had gone by me in lap 2 and I now found myself (according to pics) about 10th last and with that on the 3rd lap I stepped off. I was a little annoyed at myself for all my carry on before the race and the way I conducted myself during the race, tearing off like a mad man at the start, I should know how to pace myself now and not be depending on the normally reliable Gerard65 :D

Anyway lots of thoughts flying through my brain today and one of them is to knock Dublin marathon on the head for good and concentrate on shorter stuff, I can't afford to let Robinph and Gerard and JLang get any further ahead of me, so watch out lads I'm coming for yee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

A few people on the xc thread saying it was a big step up, they were in over their heads etc. But it's a natural progression making that step up. I was thinking of you as I was driving to the race yesterday, knowing you were worried that you might be to the back of the field. Driving down the main road of the park I must have passed about 50 runners out training for the marathon I suppose and I was thinking that anybody in the Novice would beat all of them - so even he who is last in the Novice is probably running at a decent standard. So there's no shame at ever coming to the back in a running race, but particularly not at Novice standard which is all club runners. Running at that level can only bring you on as there are less hiding places. Depending on the race, you might be running under 20mins for 5k but be at the back, whereas in most road races, go under 20mins for 5k and you'll probably be in the top 20% of the field. Come 3rd last in a cross country and you'll work really hard to do much better the next time - you might need a 30sec improvement to get up the field. Run 19.40 in a road race and you might be happy with 19.39 the next time...And everyone has to start somewhere. I've been 4th last in a county Senior race, 4th last in National Intermediate, 136th out of 146 in Nat. Novice, 120th out of 140th another year. I was top 20 yesterday :). And a young lad called bazman was outside the top 100 in the Nat. Novice a few years ago. The fellow who was 2nd yesterday was 15th last year, he who was 4th yesterday was 11th last year. So there's improvements to be made wherever you are in the field. Stick at it and it'll come. Like the boys said yesterday - 14th out of 15th yesterday, aim for mid table next year, top 10 would be nice (163points).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Anyway lots of thoughts flying through my brain today and one of them is to knock Dublin marathon on the head for good and concentrate on shorter stuff,

I'd say knock the thoughts on the head. Just get out and jog and enjoy yourself and don't worry about plans or what's up next or anything. Just run regularly, happily :D.

Anxiety about this race kicked in last night, couldn't sleep so I stayed up till 2am watching Ironman Hawaii. O woke early again thinking of all the what ifs regarding this race, I felt I was in over my head.
    Anyway I togged out and was heading to the park when my wife thought it would be a good idea to join me and of course we'll bring the kids. I was delighted for the company but it turned out to be a disaster, both my daughters and wife have a fear of dogs and this led to alot of crying on their behalf and they were actually making quite a scene, so I tried to bring them away from the dogs but nothing was helping so I saw this as my opportunity to pull out of the race but with about 15 mins to go I was talked back into running (I must say I felt like a bit of a dope in front of the lads with my will he won't he crap, sorry), so I headed back over to the family to tell them I would indeed be running only to find them surrounded by 3 dogs playing fetch with their owner, at this stage my wife took the kids back to the car and I was left sprinting to the start line only to get there just on time. So no warm up and I felt this badly with what I felt was a quick start. I hated the hills they were small but still zapped me of any energy, after the first lap I was about 10 seconds behing Gerard65 but on the second lap I couldn't maintain the pace and felt I was going backwards after lap 2 I was about 20 seconds behind Gerard65 but about 20 people had gone by me in lap 2 and I now found myself (according to pics) about 10th last and with that on the 3rd lap I stepped off. I was a little annoyed at myself for all my carry on before the race and the way I conducted myself during the race, tearing off like a mad man at the start, I should know how to pace myself now and not be depending on the normally reliable Gerard65 :D

Anyway lots of thoughts flying through my brain today and one of them is to knock Dublin marathon on the head for good and concentrate on shorter stuff, I can't afford to let Robinph and Gerard and JLang get any further ahead of me, so watch out lads I'm coming for yee.
    You know my view on that :) . No therapist needed you just need to decide what you want to do.
    You love your running and get pulled ever direction. The mistake yesterday was you let people get into your head says it was too big a step up and fear of looking bad. I knew that if I was @ 100% yesterday i'd be in the last couple of people in the field . That would have been a success for me and something to build on and benchmark against for next year. As RF said just get out and run and enjoy if for the next few week, You love to race a lot so the focus on Marathons may not be the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

I'd say knock the thoughts on the head. Just get out and jog and enjoy yourself and don't worry about plans or what's up next or anything. Just run regularly, happily :D.

+1 to this. What happened to the old Woddle who was so enthusiastic about running?;) You've been trying to fit in a lot of different races lately (marathon, 5k, XC), whats the harm in taking the foot off the pedal for a little while and enjoying yourself? Looks like there will be a great gang of runners and pacers running the 4 hour mark in Dublin, you could tip around handy enough at this pace and enjoy your running again. No pressure, just appreciate the crowd, the runners around you, the craic.

And you'll still get a medal at the end:)

Cheers lads, I actually have been enjoying my running of late and I think shels you've hit the nail on the head, I do feel I'm trying to focus on everything and accomplishing nothing. Dublin marathon is gone, no changing the mind, it looks like I may be granted a back stage pass for the finishing line at the DM, so I'll do that instead and race alot more shorter stuff, I'm still confident that my next 5k race will be a PB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Dublin marathon is gone, no changing the mind.

Sorry to hear that Woddle.
    But if your mind is made up......

Of course every cloud has a silver lining - there will be a Boards AC enthuasist at the finish line taking quality snaps (of other Boards AC members ;)).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Sounds like a case of peebeeitis. The sudden realization that you are human, and cannot record a personal best in every single race.
    Prescribed solution: Easy running in the sunshine, in good company.

Oh, and taking nice photos of me, as I cross the finish line with my balloon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Sorry there's no DCM, just keep running and enjoy it as the others say. You'll be back snapping at my heels before I know it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Don't be so hard on yourself woddle....take a breather and get togged out again whenever you feel like it but i would recommend that you don't leave it to long.
    you have been a bit pi$$ed of before and bounced back quickly,no reason why it wont happen soon again.

P.S Keep an eye out for me at the finish...bib 723...
    hopefully a touch under 3hrs :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Cheers lads, I actually have been enjoying my running of late and I think shels you've hit the nail on the head, I do feel I'm trying to focus on everything and accomplishing nothing. Dublin marathon is gone, no changing the mind, it looks like I may be granted a back stage pass for the finishing line at the DM, so I'll do that instead and race alot more shorter stuff, I'm still confident that my next 5k race will be a PB.

Would you have pulled out if you ran well yesterday ???
    I dont think so. I think its another pulling out in case i fail. No one like to fail but you have to put yourself up there to be shot at.Do it and get a pb. After it look at your training and ways you can improve. As said early maybe a coach/mentor might be a good idea.

A 3.36 would be a pb so need to go out at 8 min mile. If you dont have a garmin get one for hte day. Hope this changes cyour mind cos you will feel like a plonker on the day if you dont.

Runners run and your a runner.

first off, you defo dont need to see a therapist.
    remember, this is your hobbie.

i wont say you should do dublin(but i really hope you will), if the heart doesnt want a marathon, no point on doing 26miles and getting injured. it be just torture without your head 100% behind the body ,and wanting to get over that line you need both.
    id be very disappointed if you arent there in 2weeks, but marathon is a marathon, its not for messing about.

look at your training log, YOU have done so well this year. dont let a few bad races get in the way. i can still remember you in 2002 in citywest when you broke 20, and i got under 22. i could never imagine going 19min for 5k. and same when we did our first marathons, both were 4.37 and now we can both go 3.40.
    if your head is getting in the way, take a week/2week break. come back and enjoy yourself, we are not prefessionals, thats why we call it a hobbie. everyone has a bad day, and when you dive in at the deep end like you did yesterday, sometimes you may not prevail.
    sure in 2004 i did 3k on the track, i got lapped twice by the winner,(only 200m track, thats my excuse). but i still got a pb in 3k, well i never did a 3k before, but thats mainly why i didnt have a hope, INEXPERIENCE. o and it wasnt just the winner that lapped me twice haha.

anyway, come on, dont be too hard on yourself, last year you did so well, a pb of 3.37 and you kicked my ass in every race, everyone of your times were excellent. this year wasnt perfect but maybe because you expected too much, expecting to go under 3.37 isnt easy. in paris you expected too much. and i learned from your mistake, i always go out with a 3.59 finish, and below that is a bonus. you and i cant go under 3.30 YET. thats just how it is, we might in the future but now, no way. you and i cannot go under 40 for a 10km right now, thats just how it is, but i know we both will do that.
    i know what its like to have your heart broken in a race, at 4.00.00 in cork, i was just around 24miles, it killed me. i couldnt believe it, that i failed so bad. sure four weeks earlier in belfast, at that time on the clock i was back in the car on the way back to dublin. you win some, you lose some. Come back stronger!

maybe yesterday you were in the deep end but you learned from your experience, you learned alot. my point is, you will improve.

also one more thing. in 2008 when you were flying high for the whole year, even though i had a great start to the year, finally broke the four hours in belfast and then again in cork, i lost it, lost it bad. i didnt do a race from cork until jungle bells, and we both know what happened there haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Woddle,

I will be arriving into hueston at around midday on the Sunday,and i want to know a few things :

How far is it and whats the best way of getting to the RDS from there ?

Liverpool are playing Utd @ 2pm,would i make it to the expo,get sorted in time to see the game ?

I am staying in the Camden Court hotel,what are the chances of getting back there for 2pm ? or would i be better off watching it up by the RDS somewhere ?

How far are the start and finish lines from the hotel ?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭bourne99

Just reading back there - your 'core' fitness/strength level must be impressive!! Could you still do the DCM for the craic?

bourne99 wrote: »
    Just reading back there - your 'core' fitness/strength level must be impressive!! Could you still do the DCM for the craic?

I reckon so, is that a challenge :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I reckon so, is that a challenge :D
    LOL.
    Woddle(defn):
    (1) walking with short steps with weight tilting from one foot to the other; "ducks walk with a woddle"
    (2) One who changes their mind frequently and will probably run Dublin city Marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Hey woddle, didn't know you were havin second thoughts about dcm, best of luck with your decision, I'm sure you'll make the right one, tough on the old mind this running crack eh?

• Advertisement

I've taken 3 days off now and will get out for a run later and meeting a friend in bushy tomorrow morning for a session.

Next few races:
    Wednesday 21st, 2 mile in Raheny
    Sunday 15th Nov, 3k in Arklow

Also really starting to consider a football comeback, bumped into the manager of my old team this morning and he invited me back, he told me they would be training tonight but I never was one for footy training. I told him I would go and watch them play. I'm thinking I want to know what standard their at, I don't want to play with a shlt team again.

I think I miscounted on this and yes I am full of myself
    I thought it was a 100 :)
    and no I'm not all one footed, I was just adapting my wife and kids are in bed/confined spaces tactics

Advertisement