Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Hi Woddle
    I'd be interested in that 3k run in Arklow - have you any details?
    Did a quick google but came back with nothing
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

DustyBin wrote: »
    Hi Woddle
    I'd be interested in that 3k run in Arklow - have you any details?
    Did a quick google but came back with nothing
    Thanks

http://www.athleticswicklow.com/entry_forms/fixtures_2009.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Sosa wrote: »
    Woddle,

I will be arriving into hueston at around midday on the Sunday,and i want to know a few things :

How far is it and whats the best way of getting to the RDS from there ?

Liverpool are playing Utd @ 2pm,would i make it to the expo,get sorted in time to see the game ?

I am staying in the Camden Court hotel,what are the chances of getting back there for 2pm ? or would i be better off watching it up by the RDS somewhere ?

How far are the start and finish lines from the hotel ?

Thanks

Just giving this a bump woddle,id say you missed it earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Luas from Heuston to Connolly Station. Dart or bus from there to Ballsbridge.
    The expo should only take 15-20 minutes, but no, you wont make it to the RDS and back to the hotel by 2pm. Lots of pubs across the road from the RDS. Lucozade is your friend!

Your hotel is about 15 mins walk to the start, and 30 mins back to the hotel after the marathon (shuffling). :)

The expo should only take 15-20 minutes, but no, you wont make it to the RDS and back to the hotel by 2pm. Lots of pubs across the road from the RDS. Lucozade is your friend!

Your hotel is about 15 mins walk to the start, and 30 mins back to the hotel after the marathon (shuffling). :)

Thanks Krusty,30 minutes back after....not looking forward to that.
    Ah sure i'll flag down a taxi if need be.

• Advertisement

Sorry Sosa I had missed it.

Today was the start of my 5k plan and yep I'm def not doing the marathon, I'm finally sticking to my guns. I was told by a friend of mine to stop flogging a dead horse and change it up a bit.

So today I went for a run with that friend down in bushy
    9.09 miles in 1'13'15, pace 8'03
    Average HR 81%
    My HR was alot higher than normal, I normally get a cold or sth when it's this high in training for no reason so I'm going to start on the berocca again.

The Waterford half is gone as I signed up for the Aware 10k instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Woddle,

I will be arriving into hueston at around midday on the Sunday,and i want to know a few things :

How far is it and whats the best way of getting to the RDS from there ?

Liverpool are playing Utd @ 2pm,would i make it to the expo,get sorted in time to see the game ?

I am staying in the Camden Court hotel,what are the chances of getting back there for 2pm ? or would i be better off watching it up by the RDS somewhere ?

How far are the start and finish lines from the hotel ?

Thanks

Thanks Krusty,30 minutes back after....not looking forward to that.
    Ah sure i'll flag down a taxi if need be.

luas to connolly about 2 quid, bus to rds much the same, but the time and hassle (don't think you'd get it all done by 2) - just get the taxi from heuston, shouldn't be far from 10Euro, so with the money you're saving on the bus and luas, not too bad. You could then walk back to your hotel in time to see the match. There are a few pubs, Crowes, Paddy Cullens etc. across the road from the RDS which show sport if you're a bit later.

An alternative might be the rent a bike scheme, only problem is they don't have them at heuston, not sure where the nearest one is, there are some at the pub at the bottom of Christchurch, ? the nags head I think. A tenner to register and free to rent a bike for a half hour, costs something minor after that, just need to return it then to the nearest place to camden court...

You could then walk back to your hotel in time to see the match.quote]

How long will it take me to walk back to the hotel from the RDS ?

I was thinking about the taxi alright.
    I just want to get done in the expo and back to the hotel by 2pm if possible,if not i will watch it close to the RDS.
    I was looking at the bar menu in the hotel online,looks good,nice basic looking pastas on there ...reasonable aswell,so i will be based there,no wandering around looking for somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Woddle wrote: »
    yep I'm def not doing the marathon, I'm finally sticking to my guns.

Are you sure :confused::rolleyes:?
    My HR was alot higher than normal, I normally get a cold or sth when it's this high in training for no reason so I'm going to start on the berocca again.

Warning: I have been on Berocca for the last 6 weeks and still managed to develop a nasty, lingering head-cold. End of warning ;).

Ok so My way didn't quite work either :D

The good news is that I have been enjoying my running and I've picked my next goal, Rotterdam in April.
    Last year I swore I would never do a spring marathon again but looking back, last winter was actually the best run of training I think I've done ever.
    Starting on Monday I'll have 24 weeks to get into shape, I'm going to follow Pfitzinger and take a leaf out of the likes of Sosa,Christeb and Krusty and actually stick to the program as best I can.
    Racing flat has given me some good advice as always in paticular regarding sessions pick your days for sessions so lets say Tuesdays and Thursdays and stick to it, if you don't have a set day it can become easier to put it off and then put it off again.
    I'm also just about back in the habit of running in the morning. I've got the treadmill fixed for the real bad weather days, I've bought a crap load of gear from wiggle and compression stuff from Amazon.
    I'm also eating better so everything is looking good and the even better news is my wife will be on maternity leave soon and won't be back in work till october 2010 so I really have no excuses.
    Hotel and flights are already booked, just waiting on registration to open.
    Races that I have planned
    Jingle bells 5k - Dec
    Aware 10k - Dec
    Tom Brennan 5k - Jan
    Raheny 5 mile - Jan
    Dungarvan 10 ? - Feb
    Ballycotton 10 - Mar

and as always any input is greatly appreciated from yourselves. Glad to be home :D

• Advertisement

I am no expert but from reading your logs over the last year,i would say you might be thinking to much about training/times and therefore you get annoyed at yourself occasionaly.

The name of this thread is Running is Easy,make it easy...just enjoy yourself.

You have signed up for Rotterdam,now all you have to do is pick your training program and stick to it,the rest will take care of itself.

Enjoy !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

woddle, totally delighted to see you get your head straight and have a set plan and aim to stick to it. that is defo the way forward. you can defo smash 3 37 to pieces if you do. you ve an amazing base, its just time to push yourself a bit now and you ll be glad you did. i know this place is great for advice and other people make you think about stuff, but i defo think that you have to follow your own convictions.

best of luck with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

I'm going to follow Pfitzinger and take a leaf out of the likes of Sosa,Christeb and Krusty and actually stick to the program as best I can.

I feel proviliged to be mentioned alongside these boys! I'll see you on the startline in Raheny if not before, and I expect to get a shout along the course tomorrow....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Ok so My way didn't quite work either :D

The good news is that I have been enjoying my running and I've picked my next goal, Rotterdam in April.
    Last year I swore I would never do a spring marathon again but looking back, last winter was actually the best run of training I think I've done ever.
    Starting on Monday I'll have 24 weeks to get into shape, I'm going to follow Pfitzinger and take a leaf out of the likes of Sosa,Christeb and Krusty and actually stick to the program as best I can.
    Racing flat has given me some good advice as always in paticular regarding sessions pick your days for sessions so lets say Tuesdays and Thursdays and stick to it, if you don't have a set day it can become easier to put it off and then put it off again.
    I'm also just about back in the habit of running in the morning. I've got the treadmill fixed for the real bad weather days, I've bought a crap load of gear from wiggle and compression stuff from Amazon.
    I'm also eating better so everything is looking good and the even better news is my wife will be on maternity leave soon and won't be back in work till october 2010 so I really have no excuses.
    Hotel and flights are already booked, just waiting on registration to open.
    Races that I have planned
    Jingle bells 5k - Dec
    Aware 10k - Dec
    Tom Brennan 5k - Jan
    Raheny 5 mile - Jan
    Dungarvan 10 ? - Feb
    Ballycotton 10 - Mar

and as always any input is greatly appreciated from yourselves. Glad to be home :D

Glad to hear it, running should be simple the best advise I've even been given was "Get a training plan and stick to it." .. Run and enjoy it and keep in mind yout A goal ,.... There is a nice 10 miler in cork that might actually fit into the training plan for you also :) if your marathon is late april?

Its now an actual fact, I am enjoying my running, I went out for a very windy and hilly 9.5 miles and on my return I was being extra nice to the wife (according to her, I think I'm always that nice) without wanting sth so she says to me you obviously had a good run and I did.

9.5 miles hilly and windy
    Pace was slow
    Average HR 79%

I think Sosa made a good point about about always wanting to hit targets so from now on I'll only put down the pace of sessions and the lsr.

I cycled in the region of 16-18 miles today and at a fairly decent pace trying to get to different spots on the course. I got home put up a few pics and then got out for
    5.1 miles
    Pace - steady
    Average HR 79%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

I cycled in the region of 16-18 miles today and at a fairly decent pace trying to get to different spots on the course. I got home put up a few pics and then got out for
    5.1 miles
    Pace - steady
    Average HR 79%

Did you not get enough of running today??!! :D

Some great photos again... although i'm not sure what the main set image has to do with marathon!

Been thinking about Rotterdam... will have a couple of weeks break and give you an answer, but in principle, yes!

Take all the time you like, you deserve it

Tonight 5.05 miles, pace was very easy but legs were tired from yesterday.
    Average HR 72% which is better than the last 2 days, I think I had a slight mancold as last night I woke up sweating and a little delirious so that would account for the headaches and high heart rate.

Suppose to be an 8 miler but my friend was feeling up to it and his car keys where in my house so we only got 4.53 miles done, I had every intention of giving him his keys and continuing on but once I was in the house that was it.
    4.53 miles at an easy pace
    Average HR 71%

5.11 miles tonight which included 5x115 meter strides at the end, pace up to that point was easy.
    Average HR 75%

• Advertisement

8.31 miles or 13.38 km at a nice easy pace, there's definitely a nice bounce coming back to my stride.
    Average HR 73%

Week number|Total weekly miles|Number of sessions|Type|
    1|28.1|0||
    2|0|0||
    3|0|0||
    4|0|0||
    5|0|0||
    6|0|0||

4 miles tonight on the treadmill, didn't want to do anymore and end up taking away from tomorrow mornings lsr, it's been along time since I've ran on the treadmill and I enjoyed it, why wouldn't I, I got to watch the next ultimate fighter :D
    Average HR 69%

1|32.1|0||
    2|0|0||
    3|0|0||
    4|0|0||
    5|0|0||
    6|0|0||

I tried to run in and around 10 miles on the treadmill, all was going well till the switch from eurosport 1 to 2 and the frickin tennis was on, so I got 8 done and quite happy with that. My plan for my Sunday lsr from now on will be to run the second half faster than the first, so today was an opportunity to just play with pacing before the real lsrs start.
    4.2 miles @ 8'27 pace, HR 153
    2.0 miles @ 8'13 pace, HR 170
    1.8 miles @ 8'57 pace, HR 166

Average HR 71%

Just checked and this is my first 40 mile week since August :rolleyes:

1|40.1|0||
    2|0|0||
    3|0|0||
    4|0|0||
    5|0|0||
    6|0|0||

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭goldjogger

heya, really like your logs keep up the good work, im new to running and started my own log during the week it was actually reading your first log that inspired me to start one and so far so good its keeping me motivated and reading other peoples log is helping, good work

I went out with the goal of finding a nice 6 mile route as there's more of these on the schedule than my usual 5. I ended up finding a nice 6.82 mile (10.97 km) route and I ran it again at a nice easy pace.

Average HR 71%

Week number|Total weekly miles|Number of sessions|Weight|
    1|40.1|0|-1lb|
    2|6.82|0||
    3|0|0||
    4|0|0||
    5|0|0||
    6|0|0||

5.11 miles (8.21km) tonight at an easy pace including by 5x120 meter strides at the end, I was a little tired pre run but glad I went and feel better for doing so.
    Average HR 73%

1|40.10|0|-1lb|
    2|11.93|0||
    3|0|0||
    4|0|0||
    5|0|0||
    6|0|0||

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭getfit

Would you not include the 120's in your mileage? They would give you an extra .4m - it all adds up :D.....

getfit wrote: »
    Would you not include the 120's in your mileage? They would give you an extra .4m - it all adds up :D.....

Oh I count every meter :D, I should have wrote including 5x120 ;)

Same route as Monday with a little bit more tacked on to bring me over 7 miles instead of under. So 7.15 miles (11.51km) in again a nice easy pace.
    Average HR 71%

1|40.10|0|-1lb|
    2|19.08|0||
    3|0|0||
    4|0|0||
    5|0|0||
    6|0|0||

• Advertisement

I ended up doing what the schedule said and I took a rest day. I've ran the last 11 days on the trot, my record is 12 and I really wanted to beat it but at the same time I want to be sensible, I'll beat it soon anyway.
    A few books that I've ordered arrived, Sonia, More Fire-How to run the Kenyan way and Running with Lydiard, I've been reading the latter all day and I'm sold, higher milage it is, he already seems to know the runner I am and he's picked out all my flaws and has explained to me why I run the way I run. Great stuff :D
    I have 8 planned tomorrow before I have to head to UL, 5 while down in Limerick on Saturday morn and then a long run on Sunday. It still feels great to be back.

Advertisement