Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

im just saying you might run your self into the ground which may have happened in 2009?

I think your spot on with this and sure don't I have you to keep me in check but you are right, I need to be careful with this new found enthusiasm.

As regards warming up and cooling down, I think I do, I'll always (most of the time) start and finish at an easy pace. Stretching I probably don't do enough of it but since Rathfarnham 5k when your coach got on to me I do do a bit but mainly at the end of a run, not really before, today I stretched for about 10 mins after todays efforts.

Nice run with my cousin but it's not as cold as it looks, I was roasting with far to many layers on, quite a hilly route also.
    Didn't lose any weight after last weeks efforts, so I'm pigging out tonight and watching a movie :D only messing I'll eat sensible

6.08 miles in an easyish pace
    Average HR 73%

Week number|Total weekly miles|Weight|
    1|40.10|-1lb|
    2|41.33||
    3|6.08|0||
    4|0|0||
    5|0|0||
    6|0|0||

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Woddle wrote: »
    Nice run with my cousin but it's not as cold as it looks, I was roasting with far to many layers on, quite a hilly route also.
    Didn't lose any weight after last weeks efforts, so I'm pigging out tonight and watching a movie :D only messing I'll eat sensible

6.08 miles in an easyish pace
    Average HR 73%

1|40.10|-1lb|
    2|41.33||
    3|6.08|0||
    4|0|0||
    5|0|0||
    6|0|0||

At the moment i am starting to consider my diet and am researching effects on endurance athletes and hopefully be able to compile a bit of a dietary diary which i hope to stick by, would be more than happy to pass it one once i have it completed if you interested. While i am not as worried about the weight issue i will be using it in order to boost my recovery and keep my immune system high in order to keep high levels of training without breaking down

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭kevinkilbane

im still thinking about rotterdam, but belfast..... how can i not do it again? such a great marathon.

also, i wont be running for about a week, the ankle. very sore after the down hill going home last night. i dont know what i did wrong but i wont be doing anything until next week.

did you get out today?

did you get out today?

Not till late, back about half an hour now, good day at the office. Sorry to hear about the ankle no harm in resting up , you've had a deadly year with 4 marathons.

Tonight 7 miles at a good steady pace
    Average HR 78%

1|40.10|-1lb|
    2|41.33||
    3|13.08|0||
    4|0|0||
    5|0|0||
    6|0|0||

• Advertisement

As some of you may have gathered, I'm taking Aprils marathon more seriously and today I've gone and taken the next step. I've booked myself in to the UCD institute of sports for a VO2max test and blood lactate at the end of November. Looking forward to it now and being given the numbers of how to train certain systems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

As some of you may have gathered, I'm taking Aprils marathon more seriously and today I've gone and taken the next step. I've booked myself in to the UCD institute of sports for a VO2max test and blood lactate at the end of November. Looking forward to it now and being given the numbers of how to train certain systems.

Good stuff, looking forward to hearing how you get on. I've been kinda lazy since DCM, there's a 2miler on tonight in Raheny. The sched is starting back up now though, unfortunately I don't think Rotterdam suits, I've just started a college course which will be getting meaty around April time, so I'll set my sights on something (DCM or otherwise) next autumn....

Best of luck the test in themselves are a hell of a workout make sure to take a day or two off before them trust me you WILL need it. They are pretty good though

ecoli wrote: »
    Best of luck the test in themselves are a hell of a workout make sure to take a day or two off before them trust me you WILL need it. They are pretty good though

In the email I've been sent he says this
    Don’t do maximal or fatiguing exercise 48 hours before the test. Avoid eating less than 3 hours before the test and consider this test as a competition!
    Have you done one before and are you familiar with the UCD institute?

In the email I've been sent he says this
    Don’t do maximal or fatiguing exercise 48 hours before the test. Avoid eating less than 3 hours before the test and consider this test as a competition!
    Have you done one before and are you familiar with the UCD institute?

I did one couple of years ago in the Peak Performance centre in Sandymount. Basically comprised of Skinfold measurements (easy part) and then warm up followed by 3 min at a particular speed on treadmill with them taking bloods every three min and upping the pace by 1k and another 3 min. This is repeated until you are not able to maintain the pace for the three mins in which you signal to them to stop. it is done with a mask on to measure your oxygen intake which is a nuisance and is constant even when taking the bloods you are still running (only a drop taken from your finger)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭Peckham

Sounds really interesting. How would I go about arranging the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Peckham wrote: »
    +1. Would be interested in same. Ce mhead?

Peckham wrote: »

Phone number here and ask for Romain http://www.ucd.ie/instituteforsportandhealth/contactus/
    If there's enough of us they may do a discount.

It's 110 euro but there is another option without the blood lactate which is 85 I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭aero2k

TCD also have a human performance lab - contact bernard.donne@tcd.ie. I think DCU have one too, and I'd be amazed if there isn't one in Limerick.
    Not to scare you or anything Woddle but I did my tests on the bike - the treadmill has a harness hanging from the ceiling so you don't injure yourself when if you collapse.
    They have an enormous fan - presume UCD is the same - but you'll still get very hot, so wear the lightest singlet and shorts you have.

This thread may be of interest:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61552131

The smallest little bit above easy pace and I was quite surprised at the pace my legs wanted to run.

5 miles at a fair pace
    Average HR 74%

1|40.10|-1lb|
    2|41.33||
    3|18.08|0||
    4|0|0||
    5|0|0||
    6|0|0||

Pretty much the same as yesterday but a different route, up to marlay park and back. The plan was 7 or 8 but not enough minutes in the day.
    That makes it 18 days of running out of 19 which is a new high for me.

5 miles at a fair pace
    Average HR 73%

1|40.10|-1lb|
    2|41.33||
    3|23.08|0||
    4|0|0||
    5|0|0||
    6|0|0||

7 miles in the lashing rain, I ran them at a good steady pace, very happy with how I'm feeling on these runs.
    Average HR 74%

1|40.10|-1lb|
    2|41.33|-1lb|
    3|30.08|||
    4|0|||
    5|0|||
    6|0|||

I was annoyed to have to take a day of yesterday, I think I was even more annoyed as although I had a busy day I still could of got out of bed earlier but I chose not to, so instead of 45 miles for the week it's 40, still not shabby but week 4 is suppose to be my easy week not this week.

Todays run was nice, same route as last Sunday and only a few seconds slower, included a mile at 6'31 which was pleasing and another at 6'39.
    Average HR 77%

1|40.10|-1lb|
    2|41.33|-1lb|
    3|40.08|-2lb|
    4|0|||
    5|0|||
    6|0|||

Finally I got out for a weekday morning run, I've been pretty bad till now but it's def a routine I want to get into.
    5 very slow and easy miles, the legs were a bit sluggish after yesterdays run.

1|40.10|-1lb|
    2|41.33|-1lb|
    3|40.08|-2lb|
    4|5|||
    5|0|||
    6|0|||

This is my step back week or easy week, so all my runs will be pretty much 5 milers till Sundays 10. Got to try out my new waterproof and wind proof jacket, love it, kept me nice and warm although I don't think it's that cold out tonight :D

Tonights 5 miler was done at a nice easy pace bringing Novembers total so far to 99.
    Average HR 71%

1|40.10|-1lb|
    2|41.33|-1lb|
    3|40.08|-2lb|
    4|10.06||
    5|0|||
    6|0|||

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

aero2k wrote: »
    TCD also have a human performance lab - contact bernard.donne@tcd.ie. I think DCU have one too, and I'd be amazed if there isn't one in Limerick.
    Not to scare you or anything Woddle but I did my tests on the bike - the treadmill has a harness hanging from the ceiling so you don't injure yourself when if you collapse.
    They have an enormous fan - presume UCD is the same - but you'll still get very hot, so wear the lightest singlet and shorts you have.

This thread may be of interest:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61552131

I'd been thinking of going to TCD for this a few months ago but could never find anything on their site. Ta' for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭aero2k

I'd been thinking of going to TCD for this a few months ago but could never find anything on their site. Ta' for this.
    Well, it's not a bar of Tiffin, but hey in these recessionary times....
    Not sure if the phone no. is on the other thread but you can ask for the human Performance Lab, Anatomy Dept.
    And now we've destroyed Woddle's log...:mad:

aero2k wrote: »
    And now we've destroyed Woddle's log...:mad:

:D
    Don't worry about it, I think it's fair to say I've ruined this log many a time

Tonights run was to be a solid steady effort, the wind was really powerful and putting me off doing this but I went for it and once I got up Stolkin lane I was grand, the wind did do it's best to blow me back down the hill though.
    So 7.2 miles at a steady effort which brings me over 1400 miles for the year.
    Average HR 75%

Just about back in time for the match, I decided on a bottle of wine, so go on the Ireland.
    Ireland to win 2-1 with Keane scoring the winner in the last 5 mins just to hush the anti Keane people on the ART off topic thread :D
    1|40.10|-1lb|
    2|41.33|-1lb|
    3|40.08|-2lb|
    4|17.26||
    5|0|||
    6|0|||

Last thing, decided to make next week my easy week as I'll be tapering for the fitness test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Th weight you have lost the last three weeks has equated to the weight i have put on post marathon. Gotta get this post marathon eating in check!!

ULstudent wrote: »
    Th weight you have lost the last three weeks has equated to the weight i have put on post marathon. Gotta get this post marathon eating in check!!

Down to 3lbs lost now, I find the one day of pigging out is working well :P yummy wine and trifle just had during the first half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭Peckham

Good solid base building Woddle. You should be in good shape for when training proper starts.

9.11 miles at a really nice easy pace, if you forget about the first 3 miles and the last 2 the wind and rain wasn't that bad.
    A little niggle in my inner left thigh, I think I got it after jumping a big puddle and then legging it across the road, I don't think it's anything too serious.
    Average HR 68%

1|40.10|-1lb|
    2|41.33|-1lb|
    3|40.08|-2lb|
    4|26.37|-3lb|
    5|0|||
    6|0|||

I found it tough to get out for this run, I was suppose to go this morning but talked myself out of it, watched marathon man instead, then my wife came home and I said ah sure fcek it whats one run I've done plenty this week, then at around 6:30 I started thinking what was the point in getting out yesterday if your going to waste it by not getting out tonight, so that did it, running gear on and out the door for a 5 mile effort a little quicker than easy pace. No sign of last nights niggle thankfully, before I went to bed last night I inflicted some self torture on myself in the form of foam roller.
    Also I figured out how to get the go ahead from the wife when you want a new pair of runners, leave the old stinky ones in the bathroom for a while before she goes into have a bath, just worked for me :D

Regarding training I'm currently running at 3 different paces, easy, little bit faster than easy and 10k pace(bursts rather than pro-longed effort) and I seem to be getting the right mix.

Average HR 73%

1|40.10|-1lb|
    2|41.33|-1lb|
    3|40.08|-2lb|
    4|31.37|-3lb|
    5|0|||
    6|0|||

• Advertisement

A good run tonight 7.27 miles in 56'12, the run included a couple of easy miles and a couple of fast miles, I met Ger from PI running with his dog on my run but could only manage a quick hello as it was on one of my fast sections, so apologies for being rude :D

Average HR 76%
    So thats 26 out of 28 days running completed and feeling none too bad for it.

1|40.10|-1lb|
    2|41.33|-1lb|
    3|40.08|-2lb|
    4|38.64|-3lb|
    5|0|||
    6|0|||

Advertisement