Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Woddle wrote: »
    I saw an attractive runner coming my way, so in went the belly and I said hello as I always do :D, friend .]
    tuttut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

My legs were in bits yesterday so I decided to have a day off. Todays plan was 7 but after about 2 miles I needed the toilet so I stopped into my uncles house he wasn't there so I said I'd go to the pub around the corner but when I got there I didn't fancy sitting on a dirty pub toilet, so I cut the run short and started to head home, I was about half a mile from my house when I saw an attractive runner coming my way, so in went the belly and I said hello as I always do :D, 2 seconds pass and I hear a shout she's calling my name so I turn back and it's a very old friend from about 9 years ago, now the problem was I still had to go to the toilet but for some strange reason I joined her for a bit instead of heading home to the toilet. The pain was torture, so when I left her I'd say I looked a right mess, the closer I got to my house the worse it got, nightmare. So it turned out to be 6.42 miles at an easy pace.

That is the best running report I've seen all year- move to the top of the class Woddle. Inspirational stuff :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

My legs were in bits yesterday so I decided to have a day off. Todays plan was 7 but after about 2 miles I needed the toilet so I stopped into my uncles house he wasn't there so I said I'd go to the pub around the corner but when I got there I didn't fancy sitting on a dirty pub toilet, so I cut the run short and started to head home, I was about half a mile from my house when I saw an attractive runner coming my way, so in went the belly and I said hello as I always do :D, 2 seconds pass and I hear a shout she's calling my name so I turn back and it's a very old friend from about 9 years ago, now the problem was I still had to go to the toilet but for some strange reason I joined her for a bit instead of heading home to the toilet. The pain was torture, so when I left her I'd say I looked a right mess, the closer I got to my house the worse it got, nightmare. So it turned out to be 6.42 miles at an easy pace.

wasn't sure if I was reading Trainspotting there for a minute Woddle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Tonights run was just as bad as yesterdays, a lasagne and chips for dinner that just got wedged in my digestive session, I was 4 miles into my run and I couldn't go another step so into Ballyboden St Endas clubhouse and I had to walk through the bar to get to the toilets, I was wearing my finest running tights and the funny looks I got was making me feel slightly uncomfortable, I didn't mind that so much but I couldn't get off the toilet and I was thinking that all the folks in the bar would be timing me to see how long I stayed in, about 10 mins later I walk back out, head down and I'm off again.
    My legs got really stiff so I bailed out on the rest of the run and just trotted home.
    6 miles in 47'16

Week number|Total weekly miles|Cumulative Weight loss|
    1|40.10|-1lb|
    2|41.33|-1lb|
    3|40.08|-2lb|
    4|50.10|-3lb|
    5|13.00|-2lb|
    6|26.00||
    7|35.89||
    8|||

I'll be back on form next week and plan on giving the last 2.5 weeks of the year a good lash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Are you taking anything high in caffine before you run? I had the same problem last year after drinking a small bottle of coke before I went out, after a couple of miles got bad stomach cramps, just made it home.
    Watch what you eat 2 to 3 hours before you go for a run, there could be something not agreeing with you.

• Advertisement

Cheers Gerard65, I normally need 3/4 hours before I'm good to go after food, today was 2 hours and yep diet was crap a couple of mince pies and a muslei brekky filled to the top and it was pretty much the same yesterday. Had to get the run in though as I'm off to our local, more than welcome to join me if you fancy it, just me and a mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Cheers Gerard65, I normally need 3/4 hours before I'm good to go after food, today was 2 hours and yep diet was crap a couple of mince pies and a muslei brekky filled to the top and it was pretty much the same yesterday. Had to get the run in though as I'm off to our local, more than welcome to join me if you fancy it, just me and a mate.

Im experiencing similar problems of late too.

I just made it home today and it was the same story on a run a couple of weeks back. Actualy had to pop into a pub too on a long run some weeks back. Its very annoying.

Im eating a lot of fibre lately, especially fruit and porridge an Im taking a lot of smoothies, so I thought that could be it.

Think from now on Im just going to have toast before a run and nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

The words 'training log' mean something different over here :D

The words 'training log' mean something different over here :D

:D Good one misty, no such problems to report today.

Nice easy run HR average was 74%
    Although I'm in base building mode I'm considering a couple of 400 speed sessions this week, just to get used to running at a faster pace in prep for New years day 5k.

Week number|Total weekly miles||
    1|40.10||
    2|41.33||
    3|40.08||
    4|50.10||
    5|13.00||
    6|26.00||
    7|35.89||
    8|7.27||

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭getfit

Ok - I feel like a real hypocrite throwing this out here as I'm doing zero training at the moment and putting on weight!!! But I'll lob in my tupence worth anyway!

You've been doing some good solid training over the past 6/8 weeks and it seems to be working for you. Over the past year I think things didn't go your way because you "got ideas" mid way through a good plan. I'd be fearful that jumping straight into 400's is another "idea" in the middle of a good plan which could increase the chance of injury and potentially knock you out of the rhythm of your base phase.

The 400s may help make the 5k feel a little easier and you may run a bit faster beacuse of the sessions - but you are base building and sticking to a goal/target is the key to any phase you are in. In the long run I think you'd benefit more from trying to push onto a consistent 40+ miles a week and even going over 50+ miles rather than throwing in a few 400s which will decrease your weekly mileage and stress the body in a way that doesn't compliment the base work.

Down the road, after you have logged the real miles your body will want the 400s and it will fit into a phase when you are racing 3ks and 5ks and 1500's!

What you think?

• Advertisement

Really appreciate that and after reading it I think your spot on and 400s are now knocked on the head.
    Cheers getfit and I suppose I got carried away and for a second, I forgot that Rotterdam is the goal not a 5k, I'll still do the 5k but your right regards the type of training.

The mental torture I put myself through today, I didn't get out early for my run, I was just too tired, I think Sunday nights drinks and lack of sleep finally caught up with me.
    So the day went as follows

I'll go when I drop the kids to school
    OK I'll go while there having their dinner
    Sure if I don't go, I can run twice tomorrow
    Fcuk it I'll go, crap it's raining
    I'll go on the treadmill,
    the treadmill room is too hot, fcek it I'm not going,
    going to plonk myself on the couch and watch the match
    (at half time I think to myself, your a fat fcuk now go on your run)
    So finally got ready for my run and got home at 10:40 pm

So new years resolution has been decided HTFU and do it in the morn :D

Week number|Total weekly miles|Longest run|
    1|40.10|8.31|
    2|41.33|10.00|
    3|40.08|10.00|
    4|50.10|11.46|
    5|13.00|4.50|
    6|26.00|7.00|
    7|35.89|8.94|
    8|13.38||

Anyway I listened to getfit and have decided to carry on with my existing program, so 6.11 miles done really easy.
    Tomorrow will be a few LT reps.

On a different note, s it actually cold out there or do I just have the best under armour gear ever?
    Where's winter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

On a different note, s it actually cold out there or do I just have the best under armour gear ever?
    Where's winter?

It really wasn't that cold today, I wore shorts today (with a base layer long-sleeve top and t-shirt) and felt pretty comfortable.

Another late one but this was OK as I went on the treadmill while watching spurs.
    6 miles which included just under 20 mins worth of LT reps, target HR 180, I averaged 175.
    I thought I was having a crap couple of weeks but I looked over my log and I've actually got out 7 times over last 8 days so not too bad.

1|40.10|8.31|
    2|41.33|10.00|
    3|40.08|10.00|
    4|50.10|11.46|
    5|13.00|4.50|
    6|26.00|7.00|
    7|35.89|8.94|
    8|19.38||
    9|||

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Seem to be going well , will be nice to see how you go in the 5k . Good call on not doing the 400's :) .
    With your base miles you sill wil run a good 5k .

Thanks Shels, felt really good today hopefully a sign of the tides turning.
    5 mile run tonight still within the easy range, first 2 miles averaged 7'38 so I decided to slow down despite feeling good as I want to have a good session of LT reps tomorrow, pace overall 7'58.

1|40.10|8.31|
    2|41.33|10.00|
    3|40.08|10.00|
    4|50.10|11.46|
    5|13.00|4.50|
    6|26.00|7.00|
    7|35.89|8.94|
    8|24.48||
    9|||

7.38 miles tonight which included 3x1 mile @ LT/CV pace (going to start calling these CV reps) with a mile easy in between, still base building hence the long recovery, just getting the body ready for the harder stuff.

The 3x1 miles totalled 20'38, target HR was 180, again I averaged 175

1|40.10|8.31|
    2|41.33|10.00|
    3|40.08|10.00|
    4|50.10|11.46|
    5|13.00|4.50|
    6|26.00|7.00|
    7|35.89|8.94|
    8|31.86||
    9|||

Just an easy run this morning, up to marlay park and back through St Endas park, 5.3 miles in total.
    I didn't feel great, crap nights sleeping, kept dreaming about Santa :D and my wife going into labour. I also had the swine flu jab yesterday morning and although my arm was fine for yesterdays run it was very sore for todays

1|40.10|8.31|
    2|41.33|10.00|
    3|40.08|10.00|
    4|50.10|11.46|
    5|13.00|4.50|
    6|26.00|7.00|
    7|35.89|8.94|
    8|37.16||
    9|||

I went to bed early last night hoping to get up early but didn't surface till noon, def a side effect of the swine flu vaccine, I've had terrible head aches since aswell. Needless to say wife wasn't happy with me sleeping till 12 (she thinks I'm milking it :rolleyes: ) she then took the kids out for a while and when she got back she found me raring to go in my running gear, again she was not best pleased :D
    Anyhow I found a very hilly 12 mile route, I was told not to worry about pace so I didn't and ended up averaging 8'45 a mile. I was bloody freezing when I got back at half 4:30 pm, had a shower and then another headache was settling in, felt like my head was being squashed, so I took some solpadine. Wife has now left for the rest of the evening some family dinner thing with her sisters.
    I've eaten well this week by my standards, the only bad things I've done was 2/3 mince pies and 2 chocolate bars and a rake of lucozade( the apple one :P tasty) I'm hoping to have another good week of training and I'm going to get even stricter this week on the diet as I've been given some guidelines to follow.

Week number|Total weekly miles|Longest run| Days running that week
    1|40.10|8.31|7-good week
    2|41.33|10.00|6-good week
    3|40.08|10.00|6-good week
    4|50.10|11.46|7-good week
    5|13.00|4.50|3-crappy week
    6|26.00|7.00|5-Ok week just missed my lsr on the Sunday
    7|35.89|8.94|5-Ok week just missed a 5 mile easy run
    8|49.31|12.15|7-good week
    9|||

Ok so I've been told base building is over, it would have been nice to have had a few more 50 mile weeks but oh well, so time for proper sessions, I had been preparing for the upcoming workouts with LT reps but with very long recoveries but that changes now starting tomorrow.

Today was 5 miles easy followed by 4x100m strides, kept the HR under 150 averaging 65%, did this on the treadmill while listening to Michelle Thomas and I must say the time flew by.

Week numbers|Total miles for weeks 1-8|Longest run| Average weekly mileage
    1-8|295.81|12.15|36.98|

Week number|Total weekly miles|Longest run| Days running that week
    09|5.28|||
    10||||
    11||||
    12||||
    13||||
    14||||
    15||||
    16||||

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭Peckham

Did you do the strides on the treadmill? If so, how do you get the speed up fast enough for the short sharp burst? Treadmill in my gym would take about 20 seconds to get up to sprinting speed.

Peckham wrote: »
    Did you do the strides on the treadmill? If so, how do you get the speed up fast enough for the short sharp burst? Treadmill in my gym would take about 20 seconds to get up to sprinting speed.

I did do it on the treadmill and made them 30 second bursts rather than 100m, my treadmill has a max mph of 10 so I went to that and then put the incline to 3 which according to my Pace Chart is 5'30-5'40 pace, I probably need to up the incline to about 5 though. Just to note I would normally do it outside on the flat but it was just too icy where I live, and it's the same again today but don't think I could face 9 miles on a treadmill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Ok so I've been told base building is over

Are you working with a coach now Woddle or is it just the training plan your following?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Just checking in - hope all is well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Just checking in - hope all is well?

+1, I thought you'd be breathing down my neck in the 1,000 miler by now...?

I thought I better update although there's not much to update on the running front, just before xmas I slipped and caught my knee of my pillar, nothing life threatning but enough to make me not want to risk anymore running in that weather. Then baby number 3 (Sophie) arrived early so I decided to hell with it a complete break from running and will only start up again when the paths are sorted.
    Rotterdam still on but will probably end up another get me round effort :D

Thanks for all the pms of concern and within the next few days I'll be back in action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hearty congrats Woddle! Well deserved break for yourself and the extended family. Brilliant news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Congratulations to you and the Missus. Good to see you back. I was thinking it something real bad must have happened but thats great news (the baby bit anyway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

congrats Woddle, good stuff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Welcome back Woddle and congrats on the little one. I was actually getting worried about you there :o

Advertisement