Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

I printed off those workouts for a 37 year old male running 5 miles in 35 minutes.
    They look like they're going to hurt, seem to be a lot faster than what mcmillan was giving me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Cheers Showry and best of luck yourself for Friday.
    Same route as Monday 3.1 miles 5K in 26:07, pace 8:26 a mile, found this pace very easy which is a good sign for Sat and tomorrow just a couple of miles followed by lots of stretching.
    Looking back over my milage, it looks like I need to get more consistant.
    Week 07 40.40 miles
    Week 08 22.56 miles
    Week 09 44.70 miles
    Week 10 28.06 miles
    Week 11 48.46 miles
    So week 13,and 14 of Longford schedule I'll have to up the consistancy and milage before tapering.Some good articles regarding marathon training types in the running times, my first time reading it, not bad at all.
    One last thing mammy brought me back down to earth, she and her brothers use to be runners back in their days, they use to run out of donore harriers, anyways I was filling her in on how deadly I am :D and can't wait for Longford, she informed me that my uncle did a 1 hour 36 min half marathon in Longford last year, not bad but he's 58 :eek: and he's thinking of doing the marathon this year, so I think it could be close timewise which will be entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

best of luck tommorrow woddle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Cato

what are your veiws on running on a treadmill to build resistence?

2657841667_de4b08c118.jpg

Best of luck yourself sungod,very interested to see what time you do. Actually wish I had of thought things through, We put off going to hook this weekend because of my race, she aint happy, so I could have killed 2 birds one stone by racing in Waterford tonight assuming thats where it is.

The picture is my 2 girls and little brother enjoying a fartlek session:D down in Bray at lunchtime, I count to 20 and then catch them before releasing them back into the wild.

As far as the treadmill goes,I find it useful for recovery runs and for when I first started back running. But it doesn't really serve a purpose for me at the moment as I'm going to be doing 2 marathons shortly on roads, so I feel I need to do majority of training on Roads, So for the moment my treadmill is just lying in a corner, but if you dont have much of a choice its better than nothing.

• Advertisement

yeah woddle the race is in dungarvan, waterford. showry is doing the same one , we are lucky enough down here with races nearly every second/third weekend over the summer. the threadmill is good when starting but i think for a run of any real distance you cant beat the great outdoors

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Best of luck tomorrow Woddle

Cheers lads for the support. Very enjoyable race but I'm a sore loser, I went through the 5 mile mark according to my watch in 34:53, however I still had not finished the race, went through the finish line in 35:04 and my watch said distance 5.03 miles, I have found my watch to be extremely accurate in the other races I have done this year. But anyway only one person to blame, ME. I paid way too much attention to my splits on the watch and as a result I felt I had a bit more in me, so next time no splits, I had the watch set for beeping every 0.5 miles and I was aiming for 3:30 on each beep, sorry lads sour grapes and all that, The t-shirt is deadly though and I really enjoyed the race not so much that hill though.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

Still a respectable time Woddle! Good going.

My watch showed that little bit extra 0.03 miles too... wonder if it's the GPS type or the course was a bit stretched?! Felt your pain on the hill too... found it a long climb.

You've got to remember that courses are measured according to the shortest possible route, ie a tangential line around the course. You know in the big marathons when they have the line on the road - the competitiors are suppose to run as close to this line as possible as it is the exact measurement. I remember in the last olympics or maybe world Champs when the runners were staying in the shade rather than on the line and the commentators saying that if a world record was ran it mightn't count as they didn't stay on the line enough...
    Anyway, in a race like today it's unlikely that you will take the shortest route as everytime you have to go around someone etc. you are adding on a little. Plus people tend to stay in the middle of the road rather than run a tangential line around the corners. You must also decide whether you are better off running the shortest route on your own or tucking in behind a group to avoid the wind, but go a longer route - which will be faster on the day? So for most races your GPS will probably read long, just because you have ran further than the distance for the reasons above. I never wear the GPS for races for this reason. Also it's illegal! Not allowed feedback such as pace/heart rate information.

So you know you can run 5 miles in under 35, but unfortunately your official time will not show this.

• Advertisement

Cheers lads and your spot on racing flat, didn't even consider these reasons it actually makes alot of sense, and after a few hours to ease my mind, I'm over it now. Roll on next race, dont have any in mind yet, as I feel the 10 miler is too close to Longford.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

You've got to remember that courses are measured according to the shortest possible route, ie a tangential line around the course.

Good point.
    So for most races your GPS will probably read long, just because you have ran further than the distance for the reasons above. I never wear the GPS for races for this reason. Also it's illegal! Not allowed feedback such as pace/heart rate information.

Is it?!? Does that mean my time could be invalid? Or does this only apply to pro/competitive racers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

great run Woddle, well done

figs wrote: »
    Is it?!? Does that mean my time could be invalid? Or does this only apply to pro/competitive racers?

Would only be enforced for 'professional' or Championship races I'm sure, but AFAIK you are not allowed feedback. e.g. if you know your lactate threshold is 170bpm, then if you had a monitor to keep you at 169bpm, you'd be pretty sure that you wouldn't be going too fast, at the same time you'd be going as fats as possible for best performance, so it might be an unfair advantage, hence not allowed.

hi woddle all you can do is take the positives out of the race, like RF said one big positive is you now know you can run sub 35 for 5 miles and be confident you will do it next time .i find it hard to judge pace starting off as i dont want to wilt around the 4 mile mark or be crossing the finish line fresh and with plenty in the tank , its a hard thing to do and i just try to run as good as i can without been to tied to the splits an example being ,the first mile i ran on friday was 5:30 if i had been following a plan governed by splits i would have not running that time for the first mile but its just how the race went and how i felt so i went with it, i suppose my point is sometimes just run to how you feel not to how you think you should do. maybe if you had no watch or even thought about splits and just ran hard you might have come in in 34:52 and being completely wrecked but knowing you gave it everything . now maybe this wont suit you but its just food for thought . so anyway well done woddle its all great progress

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Woddle that result hardly a disaster. Great progress to now. Time to focus on next goal.

Cheers again lads.
    Took Sunday off as I have the next two weeks mapped out and there going to be tough.
    Today 10.28 miles 16.54K in 1 hour 30 mins, Pace 9 min/miles.
    My 4 year old does a 0.25 mile cool down with me,I'm cooling down but she's pushing it, she has it down to 3:15,

A bit of a disaster yesterday, it was suppose to be a speed session, so I thought I would go out to Irishtown stadium for the 5k race, an hour in traffic to get there and then found out it was on Wednesday, so I decided to go indoor football instead.
    Today 8 mile 12.87K tempo run, pace 8:28
    Found myself to be still very tired, probably still due to the race and hiking with kids this morning,so very easy 5 tomorrow
    Bought myself Advanced Marathoning by Pete Pfitzinger, as I have till next April all mapped out, so I hope by Jan I'll be in a position to know what I'm doing thanks to this book

A very easy run today, not time based but heart rate based, ran while trying to run at 150 bpm 68%.
    6.2 miles 10K in 55:37, pace 9 min/miles
    Very happy with this run and pace to heart rate ratio

I took Friday off as the family headed to Hook.
    Saturday 15 miles 24.13K in 2 hours 10, pace 8:39
    Sunday 4.61 miles 7.41K in 43:31, Heart rate average 142 lowest yet
    Monday was a lazy day
    Today we returned home so 10 miles 16K in 1 hour 19, pace 7:56, It was a strange session, suppose to be a tempo, first 2 easy next 2 pushed it, next 2 easy,next 1.5 pushed it and then Pushed it at the end to break 80 mins, felt good.
    I'm starting advanced marathoning for the second time now. would really recommend it. What I;ve taken from it so far is 4 key sessions Tempo, intervals 800m 1600m, Long run and recovery run. So next 2.5 weeks will be trying to keep to this and I have the HR all worked out, so one last push before Longford.
    I've had time to consider my time prediction for Longford and I'm thinking 3 hour 45 and making Dublin my main priority and hopefully sub 3hour 30

• Advertisement

10am 4 mile 36:18 Hr 146
    5pm 4 mile 35:31 Hr 152
    I went indoor last night also, the hall was very hot.Quads are a bit stiff, so might put off my intervals till Friday.

5.22 miles which included 5 x 400m, suppose to be 600m but I wasn't feeling it.
    1:22
    1:28
    1:27
    1:31
    I waited for my Hr to get back to 130 before the next interval.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Woddle wrote: »
    5.22 miles which included 5 x 400m, suppose to be 600m but I wasn't feeling it.
    1:22
    1:27
    1:31
    I waited for my Hr to get back to 130 before the next interval.

Heh Woodle good session. Had you a target time for each interval?
    Your first 400 was way quicker than the rest.
    I'm not sure how benefical doing 400's for marathon training though is. Yes great for 5k - 10k.
    Possible 800's -1k intervals works best. For 800's your target time for each would be 3:30 (if 3hr 30 was your marathon target time). Doing 4 of these to upwards max 10 per session would see you sorted.
    But as this is your first marathon I would maybe not look too seriously into the speed side of things.
    My training log for the last 8 weeks up to DM last year was 4 runs per week.
    2 of these were around marathon pace (MP) of 6 miles. NO. 3 was 5-6 miles at 10-20 secs / mile faster than MP. Long run or longish run at weekend.
    Seemed to work for me.
    Speed work was mostly done in prep for half marthaons

Your completely right and really appreciate the advice its echoed in the book Im reading ,it also suggests 800 to 1600 intervals, but I like the 400s, I get a bit of confidence from doing them and yesterday I let my mind win out as they where suppose to be 600s,I just tried to run each one as fast as I could, I was retching on the last one, Ill sort it out for next week maybe have a go at my pyramid session again, fair play to you on the triathlons, excellent stuff, also this will be my 2nd marathon and I plan on enjoying it as first one was a disaster and then for Dublin Ill race against the clock, but Longford is about me kicking its ass after it battered me in 2002:D

10 miles 16K in 1 hour 27, pace 8:48.
    hopefully 20 tomorrow and then 4 weeks till marathon, cant wait

I left the house at 7:30 this morning knowing that I had forgot something, at mile 11 I remembered, I never put my vaseline on:mad:, the chaffing was so sore, got a brain wave at mile 13 open my power bar carbo syrup and apply that, its kind of like vaseline, all this did was make it sting but it did help keep my shorts from moving.
    20 miles 32.18K in 3 hours 5 mins, pace 9:16, very happy with this run especially after 10 yesterday, probably my best weeks training ever and gives me a total of 53 miles for the week.
    My resting heart rate is also down to 44 beats, heading down to Hook again for the week and Ive been told by my wife, that Im not allowed to ruin the break by running every day, so will have to scale back next week even though its quite an important week.I'll have one more hard week after that and taper for 2 weeks.

Woddle wrote: »
    20 miles 32.18K in 3 hours 5 mins, pace 9:16, very happy with this run especially after 10 yesterday, probably my best weeks training ever and gives me a total of 53 miles for the week.
    My resting heart rate is also down to 44 beats

Great signs of your improving fitness. Almost finished now. Keep it up.

Ok so I'm back from holidays, and went to update my log but I,ve been suspended for the month of August for over usage.Hopefully will sort it out long before then
    28/7 Rest
    29/7 Rest
    30/7 5 miles which included 5x800m and 4x400m
    31/7 Rest
    1/8 Rest
    2/8 Rest
    3/8 15.29 Miles in 2 hours 11

4/8 Rest
    5/8 7 Miles in 1 hour
    6/8 Rest
    7/8 15.32 in 2 hours 18
    8/8 5 mile race in 35:06
    9/8 Rest
    10/8 Rest

Today 9 Miles in 1 hour 15 mins
    So I missed alot of good training over the last 2 weeks due to my holiday but the race let me know that everything is still good as it was a tough course, it was the deadmans 5 in carrick on suir, well organised and great weather.
    Splits
    Mile 1 6:42
    Mile 2 7:20
    Mile 3 7:12
    Mile 4 7:08
    Mile 5 6:40
    So due to my bad weeks Im going to do the frank duffy 10 and see how I get on.

Welcome back Woddle.

You're always going to miss runs when on holidays so don't worry too much about that. Your race time suggest you're still in good shape.

You said you are going to do the 10mile - are you still doing the marathon in Longford? If so, I reckon the 10mile is too close being a week before, but that's just me...

• Advertisement

Def still doing Longford, I was thinking of doing the 10 mile as a bit of a confidence booster, not an all out attack, I reckon 72 would be what Im capable of but will aim to come in under 80. Im just so excited a bit like a kid before xmas and I keep throwing diff ideas around, for example thinking of attacking a 3:30 - 3:40 and see how far I go instead of just getting around and preparing for Dublin.
    Cheers for all your feedback, really appreciate it.
    Sorted out my broadband, so Im no longer suspended:D

Advertisement