Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Up at 5:30 again and out the door for another hilly 6, this is def the ideal time for me to get my run done, no distractions but its damn hard getting out of bed at that time, I had even gone to bed before 10pm but I need to stick with this and make it habit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Woddle wrote: »
    Up at 5:30 again and out the door for another hilly 6, this is def the ideal time for me to get my run done, no distractions but its damn hard getting out of bed at that time, I had even gone to bed before 10pm but I need to stick with this and make it habit.

Stick with it Woddle.....it takes commitment to get going that early,fair play to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭aero2k

Great to see you back Woddle.
    Don't underestimate the power of habit - I last missed a day on 12 June '09, mainly due to habit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

How's about that speed session early next week?
    I can do monday after work (about 6 ish) or tuesday at lunch time (1.30pm)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Give me a shout for a run some day, might be able to make an early morning one some day too.

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    How's about that speed session early next week?
    I can do monday after work (about 6 ish) or tuesday at lunch time (1.30pm)

The Monday at 6 would suit, so will we pencil it in?

shels4ever wrote: »
    Give me a shout for a run some day, might be able to make an early morning one some day too.

Great stuff shels, I leave the house at about 5:50 am, I wouldn't really be on for travelling as I got to get back and get the kids up for school, so if you can get out to me I'd love your company

The Monday at 6 would suit, so will we pencil it in?

Yeah that's fine. A lot more fun for me than going to UCD track on me own! One of us should give Ger a shout as well.....Is the main entrance off the Grange rd the best place to park?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Yeah that's fine. A lot more fun for me than going to UCD track on me own! One of us should give Ger a shout as well.....Is the main entrance off the Grange rd the best place to park?
    I'll skip this Mon, racing on Sat so I'll need another day. Next time!

Yep the main car park at 6 it is, looking forward to it.

• Advertisement

Yep the main car park at 6 it is, looking forward to it.

Great, PM me your mobile and I'll text you if I'm running late. I'll be coming up from Wicklow town on monday evening but should make it for 6....how many shall we go for?? I did 6 @ 10k pace last time.

Monday
    5 miles including 3x1k, the first was too fast for me and I hadn't quite recovered when it was time for the next, when it came to doing the 3rd rep I let menoscemo off and I took a well earned walking break, we then did a 2 mile lap of the park before I did my 3rd and he finished off his 5. Not very structured but no doubt I'll do better next week and it was nice to have the company hopefully he'll put up with me for next week to
    Tuesday
    Went to bed before 10pm so as to get up early but got a text for an easy run in Marlay at 9:30 so I took that option instead and am I glad I did as the legs were tired, so 30 mins easy.

I converted one of the rooms into a gym room, again, so as to do a small bit of weights and cycling, I have a turbo (I think thats what there called and most importantly I hung my giant calendar on the wall and have marked in important dates, the most important being the 10th of May as thats 24 weeks to the Dublin marathon, I'm going to follow Pfitzinger 24 weeks/55 miles to the letter, although I might have less rest days at the start and replace them with easy running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Good to see you back going Woddle.
    Its nice to have a target to aim for...good luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Welcome back Woddle. Look forward to reading your log. Hoping also to get to DCM as Connemara and Edinburgh had to be written off this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

Hey woddle, how are things? I think I'm gonna sign up for DCM aswell this year, so see you around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

well woddle we seem to be be both coming back at the same time
    hopefully we will both be healthy when dublin2010 rolls around
    its great to be back, best of luck to you.
    look forward to keeping up to date with your log and i might see you in waterford if your down in wexford over the summer

Thanks for the nice comments and best to luck to all of yous. 24 weeks to Dublin now.

2nd run of the week and my God was todays tough, menoscemo has the patience of a saint as I had to walk twice and moaned pretty much the whole way round. When I drove this route on Saturday it certainly didn't feel as hard as it was. Thanks for the nice run menoscemo, the views nearly made it worth it.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/33140364
    Nearly 6 miles at snail pace.

Thanks for the nice comments and best to luck to all of yous. 24 weeks to Dublin now.

2nd run of the week and my God was todays tough, menoscemo has the patience of a saint as I had to walk twice and moaned pretty much the whole way round. When I drove this route on Saturday it certainly didn't feel as hard as it was. Thanks for the nice run menoscemo, the views nearly made it worth it.

You will improve so much faster this time that you know you can do it, It's all about getting out and running. I'm coming back now too so fingers crossed so set back or injuries for either of us this year... We both have a novice XC to finish this Autumn :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

That looks like the early section of the Dublin Mountains Plod half-marathon in July. Good to see you getting some early training in for it!

No worries, i wanted a slow run and i got one. Christ that really is a hell of a hill looking at the elevation stats. Nearly a 1000ft rise in three miles, thats about 100m per mile :eek:

As Shels says just get out and put the miles in and you'll be grand, take them nice and easy- 5 runs per week for the next month and you'll be back to your old self (oh and keep off the sweeties too).

• Advertisement

That looks like the early section of the Dublin Mountains Plod half-marathon in July. Good to see you getting some early training in for it!

Sounds like my kind of race :D

(oh and keep off the sweeties too).

Sitting here with a dominos (I **** you not) cookies and all :D

Sitting here with a dominos (I **** you not) cookies and all :D

ah i'd kill for a pizza now, been really watching my food for the last 2 week, not junk at all and no alcohol :( since belfast.

Sure I'm sitting here now with a nice glass of wine, tis been a great day :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭tempo

Hey Woddle,good to see you back running.have been back running 2 months myself and just a couple of things i fund usefull.
    Don't run with anyone who runs alot faster than you more than once a week(can be ur tempo run/steady run)
    just keep it simple and get back to basics.
    speed will come back quicker than you think just by increasing your miles,speed is overrated in marathon training in my opinion but a nice top up in the last couple of months leading to Dublin.
    good luck with the training.tempo

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Good to see you back lad. Sitting on the injury waiting list myself at the moment. Difficult times. Hoping to get back for some summer running considering I ran happily through all the mud and snow of the winter.

cheers Stmochtas, hopefully you'll get sorted soon enough, there's a 5 aside football thread you might be interested in.

The stiffness has now fully gone from last weeks mountain climb, so out for a 30 minute run today, I'm only on 113 miles in the 1000 mile challenge but I'm going to fly up that ladder, feeling rejuvenated after getting out and watching the sportsworld 5, so lets do this. :D

Week|Easy/Recovery|Tempo|Speed|Medium long run|Long run|Total
    1|1|||||3.25|

Thanks for the table Sosa

cheers Stmochtas, hopefully you'll get sorted soon enough, there's a 5 aside football thread you might be interested in.

The stiffness has now fully gone from last weeks mountain climb, so out for a 30 minute run today, I'm only on 113 miles in the 1000 mile challenge but I'm going to fly up that ladder, feeling rejuvenated after getting out and watching the sportsworld 5, so lets do this. :D

Week|Easy/Recovery|Tempo|Speed|Medium long run|Long run|Total
    1|1|||||3.25|

Thanks for the table Sosa

How are you going to define the hill plod in your log? The pace will be easy but the effort will not :D
    If you fancy it, I am thinking of getting back to UCD track early next week for some real speed stuff, Maybe 10 or 12 x 400m after work next monday or tuesday...getting sick of those 1k reps. Do you fancy some of that?

Week|Easy/Recovery|Tempo|Speed|Medium long run|Long run|Cross train|Total
    1|1|||||1|3.25

Game of indoor footy tonight, nice bit of cross training, it also really showed me how unfit I am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Hi All. Been reading some posts on here, trying to catch up with some of the jargon, all very interesting. Great to see such a community!

i've just started running for the first time. I'm mid-thirties, have always been a little naturally fit, whatever that means. Played indoor and outdoor six a side footie on and off over the years, but find myself injured with hips / back etc too much so decided to give running a try so that I can improve my fitness, and maybe return to soccer without the thrat of injury. I'm still at the very early stages. I've done about 5 nights now, every three days or so. Had one great night where I felt I could go for ages but thought I should take it handy for the first month or so, get body used to it. Trying to do lots stretching before & after, learning a bit as I go. Rest of the times have been a bit of a struggle, no drive in the legs, wobbly stuff!! but I'm determined to be patient, I think I'll get to enjoy it when I get a little bit fit.

Just wondering if anyone has any must do/most not do advice. I've run at a modest (slow!) pace on grass for 30-40 mins the last few nights. My thinking is to build up the time rather than the speed. Have been doing a bit of cycling, like 20 mins a day. Want to keep injury free. I suppose the target is to be able to run maybe 10km at a decent enough pace, but I'm in no huge hurry to get there. any advice welcome. I'll continue to browse anyhow.

Advertisement