Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

To be honest it sounds like your doing everything right bar maybe the every 3 days, you could aim for every 2nd day or 2 days on 1 day off. Keep the pace easy for now and get the body used to running and then after a while you could introduce a bit of speed once a week. You sound very like myself when I got back into running so if you like you could read my log from the start and get an idea of what I was doing right and wrong. Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Woddle wrote: »
    Week|Easy/Recovery|Tempo|Speed|Medium long run|Long run|Cross train|Total
    1|1|||||1|3.25

Game of indoor footy tonight, nice bit of cross training, it also really showed me how unfit I am.

Hi there,
    Good to see you back in action, I think you should give the 10X400m a miss for a while, you will be better served in the log run with lots of easy miles, there is lots of time to hit the trackl later in the summer, Going to do the Lucan 5k next month?

shels4ever wrote: »
    Hi there,
    Good to see you back in action, I think you should give the 10X400m a miss for a while, you will be better served in the log run with lots of easy miles, there is lots of time to hit the trackl later in the summer, Going to do the Lucan 5k next month?

Yep going to do the 5k just to get an idea of where I'm at. I hear what your saying regarding the 400s but I've decided to do alot more sessions that I enjoy whether or not there practical is another matter :D
    Good to see you getting back yourself, have you a time in mind for the 5k?

Yep going to do the 5k just to get an idea of where I'm at. I hear what your saying regarding the 400s but I've decided to do alot more sessions that I enjoy whether or not there practical is another matter :D
    Good to see you getting back yourself, have you a time in mind for the 5k?
    Good idea to do session you enjoy, just make sure you dont injury yourself and push too hard.

I would take a 22 min 5k right now(still wouldnt be happy with that), that shows how unfit I am , but its going to be the first race that I will race this year so no idea how it will go .
    I wont be doing any speed work prior to this so i'm expecting it to hurt .....

I would also bite your arm of for a sub 22 :D
    I went and played footy last night and that really told me a few home truths

Also don't think I've raced since the Rathfarnham 5k last October

• Advertisement

I would also bite your arm of for a sub 22 :D
    I went and played footy last night and that really told me a few home truths

Also don't think I've raced since the Rathfarnham 5k last October
    Yep i'm in the same boat, but the good thing is that it comes back quickish :)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Mountain Rescue

iv ran 3 races this year,8k and 2 10k,iv maybe trained twice since christmas,i do a lot of spinning classes and some outdoor cycling,but thats about it,only done a few weeks training last year.last 10k i done it in 40.40,wat trainin should i do to drop that time by a couple off min

iv ran 3 races this year,8k and 2 10k,iv maybe trained twice since christmas,i do a lot of spinning classes and some outdoor cycling,but thats about it,only done a few weeks training last year.last 10k i done it in 40.40,wat trainin should i do to drop that time by a couple off min

Sure your running a 10 k faster than I am so not too sure I can offer much advice other than maybe give yourself 12 good weeks training of about 4/5 runs a week. 1 long run of maybe 8-10 on the weekend, alot of easy runs and once a week just aim to run a little quicker, 40'40 is a decent time so you should also consider joining a club.

any info is a help woddle,i was thinking along the same lines as yourself for trainin,couple off short runs with 1 long 1 thanx for that,a few hav said that 40.40 is pretty good witout any trainning,id like to think i could knock off 4or5 over the next couple off months,one thing i will swear by is the spinning classes,other than that iv done nothing but work this year,hav u tried any classes,well worth it if you can,i find it far better than on the road

• Advertisement

1|2|||||1|8.28

This run is marked in as easy but it really wasn't, I was very stiff from football last night and combine that with the heat caused my heart rate to hit the roof.
    This was also probably the slowest I have ever run 5 miles, it'll be a long road. Going to try some 400s now tomorrow in the hope that running fast will help me run 9 minute miles alot easier :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

1|2|||||1|8.28

This run is marked in as easy but it really wasn't, I was very stiff from football last night and combine that with the heat caused my heart rate to hit the roof.
    This was also probably the slowest I have ever run 5 miles, it'll be a long road. Going to try some 400s now tomorrow in the hope that running fast will help me run 9 minute miles alot easier :D

I would be a little wary of intervals so soon back the strength will come back dont worry about that but in the long run you would be more beneficial with the miles rather than an interval session as a quick fix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

ecoli wrote: »
    I would be a little wary of intervals so soon back the strength will come back dont worry about that but in the long run you would be more beneficial with the miles rather than an interval session as a quick fix.

+1. Can't see any benefit in doing a track session now, you are asking for an injury. Come on Woddle listen to the majority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

In fairness, I know I asked you about doing a track session next monday but you are going to do 2 in 5 days??? I'd say the lads are right you'd be better to stick to the easy miles. You can still come along to UCD on monday to watch me if you want. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

If you're doing a track session on Monday I may join in, I'm out in UCD about 3-4 days a week working on my thesis at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

If you're doing a track session on Monday I may join in, I'm out in UCD about 3-4 days a week working on my thesis at the moment.

See you at the the car park by the track at about 6.10pm so. I'll give you a lift back home if you want.

1|3|||||1|11.38

Ok it was easy enough to argue my case when it was just shels :D but not everyone so 400s were knocked on the head, instead a very easy 30 mins. Tomorrow 5 miles maybe I will however try 5 mins at a little quicker a pace, this pace may only be 8 minute miles so nothing too dramatic, thanks for all the input.

1|3|||||1|11.38

Tomorrow 5 miles maybe I will however try 5 mins at a little quicker a pace, this pace may only be 8 minute miles so nothing too dramatic, thanks for all the input.

Sorry to sound like a damp squid but I wouldn't worry about pace at the moment. I spent December to April running significantly slower than I normally due in training with 5 sessions in that total time. I took this decision due to work/family & injury concerns.

In the last 5 weeks I've ran my 2nd fastest marathon, 2nd fastest 4 miler, 4 fastest 5k, and 4th fastest 5 miler. And this time has probably been my best racing period ever !

Slow miles can result in fast race times but they require a long term plan. Don't push too early.

Your spot on man, easy running it is I think I'm just frustrated that I've let myself get so unfit, I was only injured for a short period but tended to use it as an excuse to be a fat lazy fcuk. So I'm def trying to rush things and I appreciate the helpful comments to make me see sense.

I was in the same boat as you in December. I was over a stone heavier than I am now so I can empathise.

Think of yourself as car. Presently you are a 1 litre honda civic with a full passenger load, a trailer and a full body kit. As you run slowly you will lose the passengers, then the trailer and finally the body kit. At the same time your engine will have increased from a 1 litre to a 1.4 litre. The trick is to start doing some intervals/sessions/tempos once the weight is reduced and the aerobic base increased. Within a matter of weeks you will be a 1.8 light weight honda civic :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

I was in the same boat as you in December. I was over a stone heavier than I am now so I can empathise.

Think of yourself as car. Presently you are a 1 litre honda civic with a full passenger load, a trailer and a full body kit. As you run slowly you will lose the passengers, then the trailer and finally the body kit. At the same time your engine will have increased from a 1 litre to a 1.4 litre. The trick is to start doing some intervals/sessions/tempos once the weight is reduced and the aerobic base increased. Within a matter of weeks you will be a 1.8 light weight honda civic :D
    I'm a tractor:p

gerard65 wrote: »
    I'm a tractor:p

Something like this ? :)
    racingtractor01.jpg

1|4|||||1|14.38

Didn't think I was going to go today but after reading a few logs I decided to jump out for 30 mins. Enjoyed it but enjoyed the cold shower after more.

1|4|||||1|14.38

Didn't think I was going to go today but after reading a few logs I decided to jump out for 30 mins. Enjoyed it but enjoyed the cold shower after more.

I'll be running in corkagh park tomorrow morning i you fancy a few miles at around 8:45/9 pace.

shels4ever wrote: »
    I'll be running in corkagh park tomorrow morning i you fancy a few miles at around 8:45/9 pace.

Cheers Shels but as things stand, I'm heading to bed now and am preparing for a 6'30 am start :eek:

1|5|||||1|22.38

No need to set the alarm, baby woke at 5:15. This meant I was out the door at 5:45am. Along the route I bumped into 3 different drunken parties, so I crossed the road each time to avoid the unpredictable. I also noticed alot more cars on the road for an early Sunday morning.
    About halfway into my run I remembered I had left the alarm on, thoughts of the wife killing me later crossed my mind.:D
    Anyway a lovely run.
    8 miles @ 9 min pace, average HR 162/76%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

1|5|||||1|22.38

No need to set the alarm, baby woke at 5:15. This meant I was out the door at 5:45am. Along the route I bumped into 3 different drunken parties, so I crossed the road each time to avoid the unpredictable. I also noticed alot more cars on the road for an early Sunday morning.
    About halfway into my run I remembered I had left the alarm on, thoughts of the wife killing me later crossed my mind.:D
    Anyway a lovely run.
    8 miles @ 9 min pace, average HR 162/76%

Fair play - I'm off to Brittas for some barefoot running!

1|5|||||1|22.38

2|1||||||4.92

Nice 5 miles this morning, a little bit misty and cool. Now to get the kids to school and then for the wife and I to sit down and watch the final episodes of Lost, can't wait. :D

Need to figure out how to fix the table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

1|5|||||1|22.38
    2|1||||||4.92

Hopefully that's it

• Advertisement

Cheers beepbeep.

Advertisement