Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Whats the aim for Dublin woddle ?? If my memory serves me right its 3.37.......Sub 3.30 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Whats the aim for Dublin woddle ?? If my memory serves me right its 3.37.......Sub 3.30 ?

Would love to hear your thoughts as you always talk alot of sense, I honestly don't have a clue.
    Your right PB is 3'37 but I'm only really finding my feet at the moment and am carrying a fair few extra pounds, was thinking I'd love to run 3'30 but think it might be out of my reach this year. I've started cycling aswell as the running to help shift the weight and get some kind of a workout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Hows training going?

shels4ever wrote: »
    Hows training going?

Going ok, more cycling and core work than anything. Looks like I could be back in for the national half as the thing that was causing the trouble is now a week earlier, so right now I'm flicking through a half schedule by Pfitz/Doug to see if it will sort me out and to see if I can continue on from that point for the full, I see your get a nice (well deserved ) run of it lately. Any 5k/5m plans?

Woddle wrote: »
    Going ok, more cycling and core work than anything. Looks like I could be back in for the national half as the thing that was causing the trouble is now a week earlier, so right now I'm flicking through a half schedule by Pfitz/Doug to see if it will sort me out and to see if I can continue on from that point for the full, I see your get a nice (well deserved ) run of it lately. Any 5k/5m plans?
    No plans to race at all for the next few week, its hard not tot race, but I want to get another few 100 miles of easy running done before I start doing anything fast. That been said I might do a 5k in the park or oen of the rahey 2 miles at some point. Main focus is on september so happy to jsut be training races will come in a few months..

• Advertisement

I've been playing around with an idea for a while now, I opened a thread on it about a year or so ago.
    My running at this moment in time has become stagnant, so I've decided to just go for it, when I was in Cork for the relay I had a chance to nab hunnymonster for a moment and I questioned her about triathlons, she sent me a couple of books and I'm giving it a shot.
    I've been out on my bike a good bit of late and I've had some good feedback from Aero2k and kennyb has already been a great help. I actually have a feeling I might be decent on the bike (time will tell :D ).
    So I joined triathlon Ireland and I've gone and joined pulsetri although I'm not sure they know yet (on their site you just get directed straight to paypal but I'm sure someone will be along soon enough)
    I've also gone and signed up for tri795 in Bunclody on the 1st of August and am either going to enter Blackwater (river swim) or one in Kerry (sea swim) both on August 28th.
    I've started my swimming training up in Tallaght and I have a feeling this will be tough.
    I was going to keep this to myself but I've been reading alot of the tri training logs of late and the feedback given to one another seems fantastic and I'd be stupid to not try and get some help (especially with the swim).
    I've done up a plan that will see me to the Dublin marathon, which I'll put up soon.
    And even better news is I've started to lose weight, I think this is down to the cycling.
    Sorry about the long post but just excited. :D

The new log name is from a song by the four tops and it sounds fitting :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Good stuff woddle, as they say a change is as good as a rest. I wont be too far behind you in doing a triathlon myself. As you say swimming will be the tough bit, most people seem to struggle with it as cycling and running come more naturally.

cycling is amazing for weight loss alright! I must meet you for a spin some day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Fair play woddle, best of luck with the tri's
    Tri795 is our clubs first time to host a triathlon so I'll be marshalling on the day - will keep an eye out for you
    I'll be competing in Fermoy (Blackwater Tri) so could bump into you there too if you decide to do it
    Best of luck with your training, I've found the swimming quite difficult to conquer, but am making lots of ground the past few weeks. Best thing Ireckon is to get into a good set of coached lessons and swim at least 3 times a week. Don't accept crappy lessons, I did over Christmas and went nowhere.

Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

kennyb3 wrote: »
    most people seem to struggle with it as cycling and running come more naturally.
    I'm actually the opposite, absolute muck at cycling but better at running and swimming!

Good luck with the tris Woddle, you'll be great! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Nice one Woddle. Hopefully you get further than I did, falling at pretty much the first hurdle. What's your swimming level like? You'll have a solid sprint distance run time in the bag already anyway. Are you going to start with a sprint or go longer?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

I've been playing around with an idea for a while now, I opened a thread on it about a year or so ago.
    My running at this moment in time has become stagnant, so I've decided to just go for it, when I was in Cork for the relay I had a chance to nab hunnymonster for a moment and I questioned her about triathlons, she sent me a couple of books and I'm giving it a shot.
    I've been out on my bike a good bit of late and I've had some good feedback from Aero2k and kennyb has already been a great help. I actually have a feeling I might be decent on the bike (time will tell :D ).
    So I joined triathlon Ireland and I've gone and joined pulsetri although I'm not sure they know yet (on their site you just get directed straight to paypal but I'm sure someone will be along soon enough)
    I've also gone and signed up for tri795 in Bunclody on the 1st of August and am either going to enter Blackwater (river swim) or one in Kerry (sea swim) both on August 28th.
    I've started my swimming training up in Tallaght and I have a feeling this will be tough.
    I was going to keep this to myself but I've been reading alot of the tri training logs of late and the feedback given to one another seems fantastic and I'd be stupid to not try and get some help (especially with the swim).
    I've done up a plan that will see me to the Dublin marathon, which I'll put up soon.
    And even better news is I've started to lose weight, I think this is down to the cycling.

Best of luck with the tri's. AFAIK the lads from that club do there training down on our track not 100% sure just in case you havent heard back from them

ecoli wrote: »
    Best of luck with the tri's. AFAIK the lads from that club do there training down on our track not 100% sure just in case you havent heard back from them

I saw that €40 for the sessions, not sure if thats anual or a block, could be well worth my while.

Nice one Woddle. Hopefully you get further than I did, falling at pretty much the first hurdle. What's your swimming level like? You'll have a solid sprint distance run time in the bag already anyway. Are you going to start with a sprint or go longer?

Swimming is crap, I've always been able to do the noddy style bob of side to side but I have alot of confidence in the water I just need to sort out my breathing or at least thats what I've thought but the last 2 instructors reckon it's my swim fitness and not my breathing thats the issue.

The sprint in Bunclody that I've signed up for is a 500meter outdoor pool swim, 20k bike and 5k run, If I have to backstroke it I will :D.

Really unsure of the sprint for the 28th of August, the river one is suppose to be easy and down stream but the thoughts of swimming in a river don't sit right with me.
    On the other hand the one in Kerry is a sea swim, I do a fair bit of that in the summer in Wexford anyway but apparently this was like swimming inside a washing machine last year.

Swimming is crap, I've always been able to do the noddy style bob of side to side but I have alot of confidence in the water I just need to sort out my breathing or at least thats what I've thought but the last 2 instructors reckon it's my swim fitness and not my breathing thats the issue.

The sprint in Bunclody that I've signed up for is a 500meter outdoor pool swim, 20k bike and 5k run, If I have to backstroke it I will :D.

Really unsure of the sprint for the 28th of August, the river one is suppose to be easy and down stream but the thoughts of swimming in a river don't sit right with me.
    On the other hand the one in Kerry is a sea swim, I do a fair bit of that in the summer in Wexford anyway but apparently this was like swimming inside a washing machine last year.
    Best of luck with the new event ,Will be nice to see how all this improve your running too :)

I'd love to do an olympic one myself maybe next year of the year after,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

best of luck with this........what are u fannyin about wit tri's for,get urself into an ironman....:D.

I cycled 5 miles to swimming and 5 back, gave the last 3 miles a lash and averaged 36kmph.
    The swimming, I did about 30 lenghts but had to stop after each one :rolleyes:
    The guy lifeguard dude reckons its swim fitness and not the breathing thats the problem, after today I'm not so sure.
    I had a lesson today and the breathing was a joke, I think I'm trying to remember too much, it seems to be a rhythm thing between blowing out, timing the arm stroke and then getting a breath back in.
    On a plus I nailed the butterfly and on my first attempt.
    I've signed up for 1:1 with the instructor and that will be Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

If you can't help yourself, I'm there are plenty on here that will try to help you ;)

Decided late last night to go swimming again and see if I couldn't put into practice what I learnt. There was a lane swim on but at 9pm on a Friday there wasn't many there, which suited me perfectly. Only about 15 lenghts as I was trying to concentrate and take my time and by the end I felt like I was getting somewhere, breathing every 4 strokes seems to work.

Today 20 mile cycle out to Brittas via Bohernabreena and home again on the N81
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/38230378

Couldn't get out of bed for my run this morning, my legs were nackered. Eventually got up and brought the kids swimming, I used this to my advantage and tried a couple of lenghts aand I definitely think I'm close to getting it.
    This evening 35 minute run, legs were too tired for anymore.
    I've neglected the running this week but still happy
    Swim x4, 3 hours, of which half were lessons
    Bike x3, 2 hours 50
    Run x1, 35 mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Best of luck with the tri training. No bother to you. Stick at the swimming - it will all fall into place after a while.

• Advertisement

1 on 1 swim lesson today, cost me €20 but I had the whole pool to myself and I'm nearly sure the guy teaching me said he used to swim for China, not too sure
    Anyway session went fantastic and I'm getting much better, really surprised at how quickly I'm getting it, in saying that most I could do was 1.5 laps before having to stop but I put that down to tirdness after all the drills he had me do. The last thing he had me do was put a float between my legs and just use my arms to front crawl, managed 4 laps with that and brathing was pretty good, every 4 strokes.

This evening 40 minute run in some refreshing rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

best of luck with the Tri's woddle, nice to see Im not the only one who is sneaking a peak at the darker side. Will be interested to see how you get on, on August 1st.

Thanks Mariesc and best of luck to you aswell.

Tue-swimming, 40 lenghts but only one at a time
    Wed-swimming, 34 lenghts, one at a time
    Thur-swimming 33 lenghts and finally managed 2 lenghts in a row.

I have a 1 to 1 session booked in for tomorrow aswell, won't be in a pool for a few weeks after this weekend, heading to Wexford so I'll have plenty of open water opportunities.

Also had a 5 mile run this evening, I wanted to run 8 min miles and not look at the watch, so I left HR monitor and walkman at home and concentrated on breathing and I ended up at 8'03 mile pace.
    Would love to do a 5k soon just to get an idea of where I'm at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Would love to do a 5k soon just to get an idea of where I'm at.

As luck would have it, South O'Hanlon AC are running a 5K next Wednesday.

Details:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055946563

As luck would have it, South O'Hanlon AC are running a 5K next Wednesday.

Details:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055946563

Cheers for that but sadly I'll be in Wexford, Sosa has given me info on a 5k in Waterford though.

Had my 1:1 swim session at lunch time, 2 lenghts at a time and then a rest before going again. He had me slow my legs down and it made a huge differnce. Things to work on next time, head still too high in the water and it's causing my legs to drop, wish I could take him to Wexford with me :D

I'm now signed up for
    1/8/10-sprint tri in Bunclody
    12/9/10-sprint tri in Loughrea
    18/9/10-Adidas 1/2 marathon
    25/10/10-Dublin marathon

Had my 1:1 swim session at lunch time, 2 lenghts at a time and then a rest before going again. He had me slow my legs down and it made a huge differnce. Things to work on next time, head still too high in the water and it's causing my legs to drop, wish I could take him to Wexford with me :D

I'm now signed up for
    1/8/10-sprint tri in Bunclody
    12/9/10-sprint tri in Loughrea
    18/9/10-Adidas 1/2 marathon
    25/10/10-Dublin marathon

Best of luck with them haha you dont do things by halves anyway ill give you that jumping in at the deep end with an fairly full autumn

Best of luck with them haha you dont do things by halves anyway ill give you that jumping in at the deep end with an fairly full autumn

Cheers, no harm , you'll notice I havn't put down any estimated finishing times though :D don't need the pressure.
    I'll have to opt out of your comp as I won't be around, sorry.

Cheers, no harm , you'll notice I havn't put down any estimated finishing times though :D don't need the pressure.
    I'll have to opt out of your comp as I won't be around, sorry.

Which the Fantasy thing?

• Advertisement

Which the Fantasy thing?

Yep

Advertisement