Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Woddle wrote: »
    Yep

No bother say you have enough to keep ya busy:p how have you found the swimming and cycling has impacted on your running?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I think the cycling has been great, have been losing a bit of weight thanks to it aswell. I've been keeping the HR up on the bike aswell equivelant to an easy run.
    Swimming I'm not so sure, have not got a clue how many calories I'm burning or how intensive the exercise is, I just know that after each lenght I'm wrecked.
    Hows all with you? havn't seen you posting in your log lately (maybe I'm wrong)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

I think the cycling has been great, have been losing a bit of weight thanks to it aswell. I've been keeping the HR up on the bike aswell equivelant to an easy run.
    Swimming I'm not so sure, have not got a clue how many calories I'm burning or how intensive the exercise is, I just know that after each lenght I'm wrecked.
    Hows all with you? havn't seen you posting in your log lately (maybe I'm wrong)

No your right i am on my two week training break was jaded from the amount of races so drew the season to a close and start back on the miles come monday itching to get back at this stage. Going into Half Marathon training again for the winter but will prob race a bit more this year during it think my first race will prob be the Pearl Izumi 10k though i down to pace two halfs in Sept to so should be a busy month

Went to Wexford last Sunday and within an hour of being there I hit the beach, then Monday I went for a run, got chased by a dog and by Tuesday I had the man flu.
    We came back home today and I'm feeling much better so headed out for a run in the lashings of rain, nice 6 miles and the last one was done in 7 mins.
    Only problem is my left knee is a little sore and has been for the last week or so, could be to do with the increase in swimming and cycling but I'm fairly sure the foam roller will sort it out.
    Back to Wexford on Monday and I'm going to have to come up with different routes as I hate dogs and I've already got one road blocked from me, the one down to Hook lighthouse, I'm sure I wrote about it last summer.

And I'm over the 200 mark in the 1000 mile challenge :D

Went swimming tonight, myself and another had the lane to ourselves and after a frustrating start, I have it, 100 meters no breaks :D I went back to trying every 3 as every 4 strokes felt a tad long. I'm delighted so tomorrow if I can get out is to see how many lenghts I can do. I managed the 100m in 2'36 so that'll be another challenge for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Went swimming tonight, myself and another had the lane to ourselves and after a frustrating start, I have it, 100 meters no breaks :D I went back to trying every 3 as every 4 strokes felt a tad long. I'm delighted so tomorrow if I can get out is to see how many lenghts I can do. I managed the 100m in 2'36 so that'll be another challenge for me.
    Well done. I'm very jealous..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Hi Woddle, welcome to the dark side :D
    Well done on the swim milestone. 100m. Thats it. Yes you will feel knackered after a length or two as you haven't a rhythm yet, derived from breathing and practice. I was very similar to yourself starting. Had done a couple of marathons, just bought a bike, wasn't afraid of the water but a few mins swimming had me in bits.

What I would recommend with the swimming is obviously lessons, but apart from that just swim. Never mind the watch. The goal initially is to swim the distance. Try and peice those 40 lengths together! You will delighted you did and time won't matter. I used to row which was technical enough, and now I'm understanding the technique of cycling but the technical element of swimming is substantial. Take it one thing at a time until you have a penny drop moment about a particular bit of the stroke, then reniforce it for a whole session. Those pennies build up and are invaluable!

Its a cool sport and you don't have to give up the love of running either. Best of luck with that list and I'll observe with interest :) I've every faith you'll do great

Cheers shotgunmcos, I headed to the pool again this morning and went a little further again 2x150m, overall close to 1200m but I lost count. I was very tired and my triceps in paticular are very sore. Wacked out on the couch while watching tour de France :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

Cheers for that but sadly I'll be in Wexford, Sosa has given me info on a 5k in Waterford though.

let me know if you want me to enter you in the island 5 k
    it was sold out on the day last year as far as i know
    im doing it so could meet you on the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

Well done with the progress Woddle, especially on the swimming front. I'll be paying close attention to your training log as Im in somewhat the same boat as you...venturing to that darker side an' all.

Well done though, you are making solid progress.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Based on your tagline I thought you were already well heeled at tri. Is Bunclody your first?? Good to see another swimmer trying to crack it. Im not alone! :D

See you in bunclody. Should be fun!

Oryx wrote: »
    Is Bunclody your first??

Sure will be and I can't wait. Just want to enjoy it, no pressure and then give Loughrea good lash.

4818877202_0b24817fc2.jpg

I've been on holidays in Wexford the last couple of weeks and I've been very lazy, a few sea swims at best.
    The pic above is from Carnivan bay and it was taken about 5 mins before I was getting lost at sea.
    This is by far my favourite beach, I love the waves and everything about it. Before I got in a man came over and told me that there was some serious under currents and that the coast guard had to rescue 3 people the day before and one had to be flown to hospital. I kind of shrugged it off as I know of the under currents, sure havn't I been coming here the last 5 years, so I grabbed my body board and in I went. I missed the first couple of waves so I justlay on it, facing land but head down and I just let some waves pass under me, it was lovely but then for some reason I looked up and I **** myself, I was the furthest from land I have ever been and with that I threw the body board away and started swimming, I was going nowhere, it was like I was on a treadmill, only swimming. I could then see the man who had warned me beforehand (he must have been looking at me thinking what a plonker :D ) and he was looking a little bit jumpy (he was involved in the rescue the day before and was more than likely thinking here we go again).
    After what felt like a lifetime of swimming I finally caught a wave and it brought me in a bit but still had the same problem of swimming on the spot, caught another wave and that allowed me to swim in a good bit, put my legs down and walked in the rest of the way, I could still feel the undercurrent trying to bring me back but I was now safe.
    When I got my breath back I had a chat with the guy who said he was watching for me and he was ready to get the buoy, all he was wating for was for me to raise my hand, what he didn't realise was that I had been screaming like a little girl for him to help me, I actually thought there is no way I'm getting back.
    I then told the wife, she had been oblivious. She was digging a hole with the girls with her back to me :D
    I then saw some kids going in and I warned their mother who took them out, I then fled the beach and will not be going back, Baginbun bay (just around the corner) from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Carnivan is the best beach in Ireland, spent many a great summer messing around there. That's one scary account of an undertow! Be warned though, Baginbun was the one with a "current warning" if my memory serves correctly (also Grange had a bit of a reputation for currents- has it eroded though?).
    Sure will be and I can't wait. Just want to enjoy it, no pressure and then give Loughrea good lash.

4818877202_0b24817fc2.jpg

I've been on holidays in Wexford the last couple of weeks and I've been very lazy, a few sea swims at best.
    The pic above is from Carnivan bay and it was taken about 5 mins before I was getting lost at sea.
    This is by far my favourite beach, I love the waves and everything about it. Before I got in a man came over and told me that there was some serious under currents and that the coast guard had to rescue 3 people the day before and one had to be flown to hospital. I kind of shrugged it off as I know of the under currents, sure havn't I been coming here the last 5 years, so I grabbed my body board and in I went. I missed the first couple of waves so I justlay on it, facing land but head down and I just let some waves pass under me, it was lovely but then for some reason I looked up and I **** myself, I was the furthest from land I have ever been and with that I threw the body board away and started swimming, I was going nowhere, it was like I was on a treadmill, only swimming. I could then see the man who had warned me beforehand (he must have been looking at me thinking what a plonker :D ) and he was looking a little bit jumpy (he was involved in the rescue the day before and was more than likely thinking here we go again).
    After what felt like a lifetime of swimming I finally caught a wave and it brought me in a bit but still had the same problem of swimming on the spot, caught another wave and that allowed me to swim in a good bit, put my legs down and walked in the rest of the way, I could still feel the undercurrent trying to bring me back but I was now safe.
    When I got my breath back I had a chat with the guy who said he was watching for me and he was ready to get the buoy, all he was wating for was for me to raise my hand, what he didn't realise was that I had been screaming like a little girl for him to help me, I actually thought there is no way I'm getting back.
    I then told the wife, she had been oblivious. She was digging a hole with the girls with her back to me :D
    I then saw some kids going in and I warned their mother who took them out, I then fled the beach and will not be going back, Baginbun bay (just around the corner) from now on.

Carnivan is the best beach in Ireland, spent many a great summer messing around there. That's one scary account of an undertow! Be warned though, Baginbun was the one with a "current warning" if my memory serves correctly (also Grange had a bit of a reputation for currents- has it eroded though?).

Don't like the grange at all, it's still there though, just about, not too sure about Baginbun and its undertow but There are huge warning signs all over Carnivan :D it's funny how you only notice after though.
    We finished in Sandeel bay which is the nearest to my parents house and that was just fab, we stopped going there because of the flies but if your in the water there's no problem. Heading back down in a couple of weeks. Weather was fantastic aswell, sad to leave the blue skies this morning for the grey of Dublin.
    How was France? that's where I'll be next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Don't like the grange at all, it's still there though, just about, not too sure about Baginbun and its undertow but There are huge warning signs all over Carnivan :D it's funny how you only notice after though.
    Wow, was there a month ago and saw no signs either (too busy sucking in my gut and eyeballing the beach bunnies:D)
    How was France? that's where I'll be next year.

Great, great place. Got a decent amount of running in despite a liter of red wine a day. Ran off a hangover along Utah Beach in Normandy at 5am, mist all around, magical stuff. Last week suffered running wise as you have to make concessions to the family (it's a holiday after all). No problem for this family guy hero, I suffered like a saint, eased back on the running, eased into more wine and pate;)

You'll have a ball next year!

1k in the pool tonight. Before I left for Wexford I had a breakthrough in the pool, swimming 12 lenghts in a row, so having not been in the pool for a couple of weeks I was afraid I'd have forgotten but I hadn't managed 2x10 lenghts and after the second one I thought I was going to get sick, just came on me all of a sudden. My fastest 250m was 6'16 so happy enough, now time for a 1to1 lesson with lee to sort out technique.

1150 meters in the pool at lunchtime, I managed to put 14 lenghts in a row together and it took me 9'35, so I think it's time to contact tri795 and give them a more accurate time for 500meters. I put 29 mins down on my entry form but I reckon about 15/16 mins now, so hopefully I havn't left it too late and will get in the correct wave.
    During my breaks I was looking at the guys in the fast lane and they are just so smooth, I reckon for every 2 lenghts I was doing they were doing 3 but still happy with my progress.
    The other thing I noticed is that these guys were breathing on every second stroke and I noticed in the highlites of tri Athlone that the top guys were doing this also. Why? I've been trying to do every 3 and doing the whole bi-lateral thing but should I be just concentrating on every 2 for triathlons?

Its mad how similar our training is at the moment. I did exactly the same today, worked up to 14 continuous lengths, and am doing the bilateral thing, but find two strokes works better. Stick with the bilateral tho, I think it will stand to you to be able to do it.

Think Ill also let tr795 know Im improving quite fast, I had been concerned about being in a very slow wave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I always wonder the same thing, I do the bi lateral as well and then you see the guys in the pros breathing every second stroke. I suppose the main thing is it is vital to be able to breathe on both sides if you are doing sea swims as you will need to breathe away from the waves.

Breathing bi laterally tends to keep you straighter too as you swim

I tend to start off bi-laterally but as I get tired I seem to need more air so I switch to two stroke breathing as I go along. Although I definitely have a better rhythm if I can keep to bi lateral. I breathe to the right when I go to two stroke and i know my left hand pull as I breathe is poor

Don't lose too much sleep about the wave you will be in, more than likely you will be in the slow lane regardless unless you improve dramatically to under 10 minutes ;)

Its mad how similar our training is at the moment. I did exactly the same today

I had only targeted 14 lenghts having read your log beforehand :D
    catweazle wrote: »
    Don't lose too much sleep about the wave you will be in, more than likely you will be in the slow lane regardless unless you improve dramatically to under 10 minutes ;)

:D no chance, I can manage 50 meters at that pace and then I'm wrecked, hopefully a few 1to 1 lessons will help with speed.

• Advertisement

Last night I was thinking a little more about what catweazle said about the 10 mins. So I got out the Don Fink book and read what he said about swimming. And I decided I'd go to the 9am swim and give the 500 meters (20 lenghts) a lash. I wore my compession running shorts as Lee had mentioned sth about my other shorts being crap and sth about drag.
    So I warmed up with 6 lenghts, I did it in 3'12 which was my fastest by a good bit for 150 meters. I was concentrating on kicking while breathing, I noticed I was getting a bad habit of not kicking while trying to get a breath and I also concentrated on bringinging my arms down all the way to my waist on the pull phase (I think, it was late when reading the book).
    What I also noticed was I was able to give a better kick of the wall without the fear of my shorts coming down.
    So 20 lenghts/500 meters in 11'22. I was over the moon but very quickly after I started doubting my counting laps ability. I'm 99% sure I did 20 but it does seem a little bit of a leap, so I'll have another crack at 20 lenghts tomorrow.
    After the 20 I was wrecked and could only manage 4 at a time but as time was running out I decided to have a crack at a PB for 50 meters and I did it in 55 seconds, 4 seconds faster. I know shotgunmcos told me to forget the watch but I reckon I would be so bored without it, it makes it fun.
    Anyway very happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Well done on the 500m swim Woddle thats great progress.

What I meant was forget about the watch until you hit a benchmark as its more important to build some base fitness and develop the stroke. Timing the improvement is fun and motivating though.

I looked back over my log last night and it was around the end of 2007 that I got into a pool first and by Jan 2008 I was timing myslef doing 1k in a 20m pool. I know that sense of 'did I do the right number of laps' especially when you get a big pb. I basically had 2 swim sessions to my repatoir at the time. Timed 1k or 5*200m off 5mins. The 200s were basically flat out but definitely contributed to the tumbling 1k pb. I noticed though that my times plateau'd after a few months of this and it wasn't until I started paying attention to technique, move to a bigger pool and join a group, did I start to see more improvements.

To this day I still haven't had a 1-1 lesson :o

Re the 14 lengths... Mine are 20m, yours are 25m. You're faster than me. :D Well done on the 500m, your putting it up to me, now!

I did change my wave time for Bunclody btw, they said no prob. An optimistic 16 mins for me.

I did change my wave time for Bunclody btw, they said no prob. An optimistic 16 mins for me.

Changed mine this morning aswell, I put down 13 mins just in case I did miscount :D

Monday morning went for a 25 minute run to test the knee, it's been 15 days since my last run. I did 100 slow, 25 fast (count for every right foot hitting the ground). Felt good to get out and knee feels better just a few twinges but I was probably just over aware.
    Then up to the swimming pool for 1000 meters but to my surprise I couldn't recreate the 20 lenghts, only managed 13. I did get talking to an American guy who used to be a swim instructor. He just glided effortlessly through the water. He gave me a little bit of advice, my head is up far too high, I had thought I had sorted that out. He told me just to look straight down for now and concentrate on keeping my hips and legs up. He also told me I was over reaching, so fingertip into the water and still push hand forward before pulling down to hip. Really appreciated his help, which leads on to today.
    Back into the pool and concentrated alot more on technique, still only managed 10 lenghts in a row. I did however have a PB when at the end I went for a quick 50 meters and managed it in 51 seconds.

This morning I also had an intro to crossfit were I was given a baseline test,
    500m on the rower,
    40 squats on to a medicine ball,
    30 full sit ups
    20 push ups
    10 pull ups

Before I started he told me that first timers normally do between 8-12 mins so under 8 was my target :D
    Hit the rower hard and finished in and around 1'30, flew through the squats, suffered through the sit ups was wrecked doing the push ups and now saw time slipping away, going on to the pull ups at around 7'50 and then they just killed me. Did the first 3 ok and then it was breaks and then just 1 ata time.
    Finished in 9'09.
    Really enjoyed it though and after doing it I know I want to have a higher level of overall fitness.
    Now have to get out on the bike shortly.

Gave the bike a miss as I had to get the 20 in a row done so back up to the pool this evening and warmed up with some 200 meters, then I had a crack at my 50 meter pb from this morning and I did it in 49 seconds :D
    I did the 500 meters in 12'22 so I didn't miscount the last time even though I was a minute slower as my arms were fceked from earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Woddle you're a gas man!! Are you doing the Liffey swim or a triathlon? You seem to be very light on biking and running.

Woddle you're a gas man!! Are you doing the Liffey swim or a triathlon? You seem to be very light on biking and running.

Your spot on I have been very light on both running and cycling but I'm not overly concerned as I just want to enjoy the first one and I know I can cycle and run just probably not very fast. The swimming, I am rubbish at and am just trying to get as much time as possible in the water. I'll have another tri mid September and that will be time focussed, I also have the adidas 1/2 marathon so will have to up the miles sooner rather than later.
    Went for the 7'30 swim this morning and swam 1150 meters, definitely feeling more comfortable in the water. Very stiff now form yesterdays crossfit, can't hold my arms over my head for very long.

Serious doms yesterday and feeling slightly better today. If I was to decribe the doms in my abs it's like somebody put a shoe box under my skin, spent alot of the day on the couch, my wife was not too happy even less so when I set the alarm for 6'50am for the 7'30 swim :D
    So this morning 1450 meters and I managed 500 meters in 11'30 and that was with very sore arms, so I reckon I should be aiming under 11 mins for Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Best of luck on your tri debut this weekend Woddle
    See you Sunday hopefully

Advertisement