Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭aero2k

Best of luck Woddle,

Looking forward to the report.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Good swim today, youve really cracked it. Good luck Sunday, see you there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Hope the first one is a good one, forget about times, enjoy it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Woodle, all the best for your tri on Sunday. You have put the time into the swimming so you have the hardest part well sorted. Enjoy your first one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

best of luck, relax on the swim and dont go too mental on the bike, The fstart of the run is going to be fun until the legs get used to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Best of luck today woddle - hopefully the swim goes smoothly and that it's a good first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Best of luck wodd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Thanks everyone for the good wishes. Race went well, I kind of messed up the swim and T1 and couldn't run of the bike to save my life :D
    I'll stick up a report when the results are up. I think I did it in and around 1'31
    A pleasure to meet Oryx, Dustybin and his lovely wife, sorry I couldn't hang around for longer.

66 79 David Bradshaw 4 Boards AC M 30-34 00:13:38 (79) 00:02:31 00:45:58 (48) 00:01:03 0:28:38 (73) 1:31:48

Results are in and there's alot to improve on.

I was in wave 4 and I had dustybin in the lane next to me, after I warmed up with a couple of lenghts it was agreed I would lead our lane out. Now I knew I warmed up at far too quick a pace so I took a mental note and the plan was to go off easy. That didn't happen I went off like a speed boat and after 4 lenghts I needed to stop and get my breath back, I let the others go ahead and this turned out to be a mistake as they were alternating free style with breast stroke, I found it very hard to get by and my stroke had no rhythm, so I decided to take my time and just finish the swim. I exited the pool at the same time as dusty but that was the end of my race against him, he flew through T1. On the other hand I didn't for some reason I thought I would be able to get a compression top on me :D no chance and I ended up ripping my number off but thankfully a marshall sorted me out with a number belt.

Out on to the cycle and I was feeling good, concentrated on getting relaxed, I took the first 10k handy but then I went mad for the second half and probably overcooked it a little. I was very happy with my cycle but I thought I was quicker. Cycling route was fantastic but very hilly. I managed to overtake 3 people during the cycle (they would all get me back on the run :D )

Got off the bike and my legs were like jelly, I really struggled to get into my stride, it was an out and back course and the out part was all uphill, this did not make things easy and I'll admit to walking alot of the first half.
    When I got to the turnaround I felt a little bit more energetic (probably down to the gel I took at the start of run) and my legs started to respond, I no longer needed to walk and probably covered the second part in half the time.
    Still a 28 min 5k is a little embarrising.

Lots to improve on and I reckon if I was to do it again next week I could knock 5 mins off.
    I havn't been out on the bike in 3 weeks and I've ran once in 20 sth days, but todays race has motivated me and I want to do well at Loch Rea
    Credit to Tri795 they did a great job and I would certainly recommend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Fair play ya mad fooker - 1st one done and lots of learning - something to aim for now - well done.

• Advertisement

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Fair play ya mad fooker - 1st one done and lots of learning - something to aim for now - well done.

Thanks beep, still on a bit of a high aswell and heading to the pub for some well deserved pints, just waiting on the sitter :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Well done Woddle. I've been saying since I started running that I'd love to do a Tri, but I haven't had the guts to go for it yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Well done Woodle on your first dip so to speak. Glad to hear you enjoyed it and are already thinking of the next one - you're hooked!!! The thing about them is that each one you learn something new to improve or do differently next time. Plus, each one will highlight the discipline that needs more focus for the next one. Good luck with the training and the balancing for Lough Rea. That swim reads fairly similar to my first tri in Laois (which was also pool based). Fair play to you, enloy the pints!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Fair play Woddle. I was secretly worried you wouldn't finish due to your lack of cycling and running training not to mention no mention of any brick training

Well done anyway and get the head down for the next one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well done Woddle. You've set the bar for the rest of us skurdy runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Well done woddle on the first tri, fair balls to ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Great stuff woddle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Well done , So Ironman 2011 now :)

Where is your next Tri on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Well done on your first tri woddle it was good to meet up with you, but even better to see the big grin on your face going around the bike and run and your happiness (relief??) at the end.
    Really good result you should be looking forward to Lough Rea with a lot of confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Good man Woddle, leading off your lane in your first tri and then giving the bike welly :D Loads learned eh ;) Well done on your first Tri

• Advertisement

Lovely to meet ya on the day, but you beat me, dammit. Im going to have to crank it up!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Well done on the first Tri Woddle. Hope you enjoy many more. ;)

Thanks for all the nice messages and after a few days of thought, I've decided I'm hooked :D

I was hung over most of Monday so did nothing.

Tue
    1350 meters in the pool mainly sets of 250 meters.

Wed
    5 mile run, first 2.5 miles was done very slowly as my 6 yearold daughter joined me on her bike. I finished the last 2.5 at 8 min pace but felt a little tired.

Thur
    Far too busy to do anything

Fri
    A little hung over from a great night out but knew I had to do sth, so cycled the 2 miles to the pool. When I got into the pool the plan was to do a warm up but straight away I felt good and had a nice rhythm going so I just kept going and managed 750 meters in 16'44
    1st 250m-5'20
    2nd 250m-5'40
    3rd 250m-5'44

I then took a break and went for 250 slow and work on technique. So 1k done got out and dressed and went the mountain way home, 8 miles home and got soaked.

5 miles @ 8'55 pace, felt tougher than it should but that's to be expected.

I've been eating really well of late and today marked a 1 stone loss in weight, still another stone to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Woddle wrote: »
    5 miles @ 8'55 pace, felt tougher than it should but that's to be expected.

I've been eating really well of late and today marked a 1 stone loss in weight, still another stone to go.

Good going on the weight, well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Thanks beep, still on a bit of a high aswell and heading to the pub for some well deserved pints, just waiting on the sitter :D

You really should've brought your OH instead - after all she has to put up with ;)

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    You really should've brought your OH instead - after all she has to put up with ;)

You havn't seen the sitter, my uncles Finnish wife, need I say more :D

5 miles @ 8'40 pace
    Very warm out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Fair play woddle, great to see the motivation back.

• Advertisement

Cant believe you still have a stone to lose. Thought you were quite skinny! But well done on your weight loss, its hard work, I know!

Advertisement