Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Monday - Day off

Today
    6.5 miles @ 9 min /mile pace

As I was going out the door I was cursing that 'good about running in winter' thread. It was cold wet and windy, what's nice about that but when I had finished I had a lovely hot shower and was thinking I'm definitely back now having gone out in less than ideal conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Woddle wrote: »
    Monday - Day off

Today

As I was going out the door I was cursing that 'good about running in winter' thread. It was cold wet and windy, what's nice about that but when I had finished I had a lovely hot shower and was thinking I'm definitely back now having gone out in less than ideal conditions.

Good man, heading out into the dark and wind and rain is never easy, but they are the runs that will make you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I'm feeling like a loser for using the weather as an excuse not to run this evening. Punishement will be extra miles or hills tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

menoscemo wrote: »
    I'm feeling like a loser for using the weather as an excuse not to run this evening. Punishement will be extra miles or hills tomorrow.

Normal punishment is public flogging for that offence.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Monday - Day off

Today

Good going looks like your back in the running groove now...

• Advertisement

It was my eldest daughters birthday today and that meant my run got pushed back to 8:15pm, was not feeling the groove tonight and was questioning whether or not to run the 2 mile TT.

Anyway 1 mile warm up (fcek it's windier than I thought),
    Another mile worth of strides (burping alot and really feel bloated)
    Time trial begins and I just don't feel right but I continue, I hit the mile mark in 6'49 and then just come to a full stop. The wind was strong and I was about to head up a hill (poor course choice today) and that's where I drew the line, easy jog home.

I'll give it a crack again on Saturday, weather permitting.
    Still happy to have got out.

5 miles in total

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

At least you actually got out tonight, a combination of a heavy dinner and the AC Milan v Real Madrid game defeated me. :pac:

It was my eldest daughters birthday today and that meant my run got pushed back to 8:15pm, was not feeling the groove tonight and was questioning whether or not to run the 2 mile TT.

Anyway 1 mile warm up (fcek it's windier than I thought),
    Another mile worth of strides (burping alot and really feel bloated)
    Time trial begins and I just don't feel right but I continue, I hit the mile mark in 6'49 and then just come to a full stop. The wind was strong and I was about to head up a hill (poor course choice today) and that's where I drew the line, easy jog home.

I'll give it a crack again on Saturday, weather permitting.
    Still happy to have got out.

5 miles in total

There is a 2 miler in reheny next wed might be easier with a few people around. Might do it myself as a TT.

I decided to get my long run out of the way this evening as I'm bringing my daughters and friends out for the day tomorrow and I heard we may have bad weather on Sunday.
    So an easy 12 miles, stopped a couple of times to stretch the legs out.
    When I got in the door I was cold and starving, I'm going to have to wrap up better.

Also longest run of the year.

This mornings run was tougher than last nights. Legs were very heavy.
    5 miles around st endas and marlay park. Passed the english girl from the apprentice in marlay, fine looking woman.

• Advertisement

I've been looking through a couple of running books over the weekend and I'm going to follow a bit of Jack Daniels marathon A plan. My weakness in a marathon is not being able to hold the pace all the way till the end and his long run sessions look like they'll sort that out.
    17 weeks to Barcelona from tomorrow and I've had a good 6 weeks already, so time to turn it up a notch, starting tonight

5 miles in 39'00, 7'48 pace. I wrapped up well and got out just as the wind and rain were getting up but I felt absolutely brilliant so I just went with it.

2 1/2 weeks ago I ran a tempo session 2x2 miles with 2 min jog in between, my average pace for this was 8'15ish. So it's great to see the improvement and it's a bit of added motivation to keep it going.

Just a 5 mile recovery run, 9'30 min/miles
    HR stayed nice and low although legs were heavy,

Just a 5 mile recovery run, 9'30 min/miles
    HR stayed nice and low although legs were heavy,
    Beach race this weekend?

shels4ever wrote: »
    Beach race this weekend?

No thanks, fcuking hate that race :D plus we're finally getting around to getting the baby christened.

Will try hit a 13 or 15 miler instead.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Watching someone elses marathon plan is hard when you havent planned one yourself. :) And I sympathise on trying to get it done with kids to look after as well. Not easy!

No thanks, fcuking hate that race :D plus we're finally getting around to getting the baby christened.

Will try hit a 13 or 15 miler instead.
    I know it can be a hard race if the wind is there. Fairplay on the miles think 13 would be loads don't rampup too fast :). But once your running them easy shouldnt be a problem.

First of the JD workouts, 4 mins hard with 3 min jog recovery in between, he doesn't say how many though. I wanted to run about 8 miles and I reckoned with warm up and cool down 6x4 mins would be ideal.

1 mile warm up
    0.5 mile worth of strides
    6x4 min with 3 min jog recovery
    1.75 miles of a cool down
    Total 8 miles

I averaged 7'10 for the 24 mins and an AHR of 88% so I probably ran hardish and not hard but still a good work out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

nicely done, still on for Friday?

nicely done, still on for Friday?

Yep managed to get a babysitter for 11-1, so looking forward to it.

No way I was going out in that. So I moved the treadmill into the sitting room and ran 5 recovery miles, AHR 66% or 145. Happy to have got it done but it was just sooo.. boring.

• Advertisement

Another 4.5 miles easyish today, I had a bit of company in the shape of shels and roadrunner which was a welcomed change.

Thinking of racing the jingle bells to get a better idea of what shape I'll be in for the following weeks half but also not too sure if it's a good idea to race a week before a race :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Why not do the RNLI 5k or 10k in MArley park the week before that - 28th Nov.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Macanri wrote: »
    Why not do the RNLI 5k or 10k in MArley park the week before that - 28th Nov.

I already suggested that but it fell on deaf ears ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Woddle, I ll be doing the jingle bells myself the week before. it's only a 5k race and i always find that when im doing a longer race a week later it makes the slower pace feel really really easy so i say go for it.

I'm only counting runs since October 4th.

29/42 running days
    181.9 total miles
    30.32 average miles per week
    6.27 average miles per run

Feeling very positive about my running ^^^ some useless facts so far but after another 6 weeks I'll see whether I can improve on them.
    Hoping to go to 6 days running a week now.

Anyway 15 miles tonight, only stopped once to see if I stood in dog crap, couple of surges towards the end but slow and easy overall.

I managed to poke myself in the eyeball with one of those already made fire packs, I've had blurred vision since and it's showing no signs of going away, hopefully a good nights sleep will sort it out.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Ive heard of a finger in the eye, but never a firelog. Hope its ok. :) Great running btw.

Woke up this morning and my 20/20 vision was restored.
    5 recovery miles this evening, pace 9'30 and my AHR was probably the lowest it has ever been for an outdoors run 68% (148).

Plan for the week is to hit 40 miles and 2 sessions.
    Mon-5 miles (recovery)
    Tue - 5 miles (easy)
    Wed - 8 miles (3x1 mile with 5 min jog in between)
    Thu - 5 mile (recovery)
    Fri - rest
    Sat- 5 miles (easy)
    Sun -12 miles (2 miles easy + 5x5 mins @ tempo with 1 min rest + 7 miles easy)

Really looking forward to Wednesdays session as this is one I was doing alot of last December and would have averaged about 6'40 per mile, I know I won't be anywhere close to that but it'll be interesting to see how far off it I am.

The above sessions are from Jack Daniels marathon A plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭clubcard

two nice looking sessions there:eek:

Mon-5 miles (recovery)
    Tue - 5 miles (easy)
    Wed - 8 miles (3x1 mile with 5 min jog in between)
    Thu - 5 mile (recovery)
    Fri - rest
    Sat- 5 miles (easy)

5 miles at a pace I'd describe as easy-steady (8:31 per mile), average HR was 78% (163)
    Finished with 4x115 meter strides, stand tall and run fast and relaxed, average pace 5:20

• Advertisement

Mon-5 miles (recovery)
    Tue - 5 miles (easy)
    Wed - 8 miles (3x1 mile with 5 min jog in between) actual 6.7 with 2x1 mile
    Thu - 5 mile (recovery)
    Fri - rest
    Sat- 5 miles (easy)

It looks like I may have to race on Sunday and this race is way out of my league, if I run, there is a strong possibility I'll be last.
    So I used this as an excuse to rest today and do my long run tomorrow. My brain playing games, I seem to be afraid of doing the faster stuff.
    So I thought today was a rest day and decided on a chipper, pizza and chips and a batter sausage (a real fat mans dinner)
    I felt so guilty after and copped on to my brains little trick so I got my gear and headed out with undigested food bobbing up and down.
    Never felt right, I kept feeling like I was going to puke but I still managed to get 2 of the 3 mile intervals in. I went to go for the 3rd but just felt terrible.

Happy enough though 6.7 miles with 2x1 mile at 6'54 pace and AHR of 87% (176) which is where it should be.

Advertisement