Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Woddle wrote: »
    Although I didn't enjoy the run I'm still glad I got out and got it done.

I'm just in the door from my run Woddle. I was not feeling great this morning and had convinced myself I'd be better taking a day off. I can't believe I'm saying this ;) but your early morning run of pain inspired me out the door :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I'm just in the door from my run Woddle. I was not feeling great this morning and had convinced myself I'd be better taking a day off. I can't believe I'm saying this ;) but your early morning run of pain inspired me out the door :)

Only happy to help :D

I havn't made up my mind yet whether I enjoyed this run or not.
    I woke at 6am as I had no idea how long it would take me to get to Glendalough for 7:40am, I was early :D I was meeting beepbeep and two of his friends. We then left a car there and headed back up to Loch Tay via Oldbridge.
    I raced this leg (3) in 09 for the Bulletin boards and remembered it as being mainly downhill and very scenic. Straight away though I felt sluggish (very annoying) and was unsure how the rest of the run would go. A few chats along the way were a welcomed distraction but after a few more kms I decided not to go all the way out to Glendalough (this would include leg 3 and 4) and that I would run as far as Oldbridge and back. What I hadn't thought of though was that if it's a mainly downhill leg from Loch Tay well that must mean it's a mainly uphill leg back to Loch Tay :eek: and into a huge wind. I said goodbye to the gang at Oldbridge and then did a 180.
    The rain was coming in waves and I was thankful of beepbeeps advice and going with the wind breaker, I was still cold around my core. Alot of walk breaks were had and I took a small detour (took a wrong turn) which drove my motivation to a new low. Finally got back onto the road and knew it was about a mile to go but it was all uphill into the worst of the wind but as I looked left (trying to get a breath) I saw a beautiful rainbow, not in the sky as one would expect but on the mountain, it made the run and perked me up to the finish. Delighted to get back in the car and as I left Loch Tay I could see the wind grabing the water on top of the lake and firing it in gusts around the rest of the lake, another lovely sight.

Nearly 17km (10.5 miles) in total, legs feel battered but I'm finally warming up.

5746182202_88eb54817d.jpg

I found last week that writing down the plan for the upcoming week focussed me, so here it goes.

Mon - rest/footy
    Tue - 10k (6.2 miles)
    Wed - rest
    Thu - 16k (10 miles) inc 6x 1 mile
    Fri - 8k (5 mile easy)
    Sat - 8k including 5k race
    Sun - 16k lsr

Total 58k (37 miles)

Tomorrows run will be early (heading to bed now :D ) so I may head down to UCD in the evening to post a 800 meter time, see where I'm at and how much I'll need to imrove before the end of July.

I've the 2 rest days close together as the legs were heavy yesterday for the 3rd day in a row so just want to get them fresh again.
    Played astro tonight and slid along the surface taking the skin of my knee cap, stinged like hell in the shower.

10.8 km (6.75 miles) this morning. Beautiful morning for it, headed up stocking lane over mount venus and Tibradden before coming home via grange road. Knee stung like hell after, all the sweat maybe.

AHR 69%/149 bpm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Your heart rate is coming down which is a good sign.You still racing this saturday?

• Advertisement

Your heart rate is coming down which is a good sign.You still racing this saturday?

Sure am, really looking forward to it, I think the intervals of the last 6 weeks has finally giving me back some positive mental strenght and I don't plan on racing conservatively, I'm gonna go nuts :D
    We should try say hello beforehand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Will be in touch before,probably meet up at the clubhouse and do warm up from there.looking forward to it myself,some class runners signed up so can see it being won in 14.40-50 this year

Last week

1. 7'08, AHR 177
    recovery 4'00
    2. 7'16, AHR 179
    recovery 4'00
    3. 7'22, AHR 180
    recovery 4'00
    4. 7'24, AHR 180
    recovery 3'00

4 miles in 29'11 (4'32 per k average), AHR 178, max HR 190
    This week
    1. 7'07, AHR 174
    recovery 4'00
    2. 7'09, AHR 178
    recovery 4'00
    3. 7'21, AHR 178
    recovery 4'00
    4. 7'24, AHR 178
    recovery 4'00
    5. 7'26, AHR 180
    recovery 4'00
    6. 7'31, AHR 180

6 miles in 44'00 (4'34 per k average)(7'20 per mile), AHR 178, max HR 189

17.9km (11.1 miles)
    Mcmillan 10km workout 1 - 6x1 mile @goal 10k pace.
    Stupidly did the first 2 too fast (7'15 was the goal) but they felt comfortable and because they felt easy I had ideas of doing all six at that pace - FAIL :D
    but still very happy with the session, I found it really tough towards the end but am delighted to have finished it. Having the company to do them with really helped, we had 3 for the session and 5 in total.

8km early this morning, pace was really easy. My groin was a little bit sore during last nights session and again this morning.
    AHR 145/64% HRR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Last week

This week
    1. 7'07, AHR 174
    recovery 4'00
    2. 7'09, AHR 178
    recovery 4'00
    3. 7'21, AHR 178
    recovery 4'00
    4. 7'24, AHR 178
    recovery 4'00
    5. 7'26, AHR 180
    recovery 4'00
    6. 7'31, AHR 180

17.9km (11.1 miles)
    Stupidly did the first 2 too fast (7'15 was the goal) but they felt comfortable and because they felt easy I had ideas of doing all six at that pace - FAIL :D
    but still very happy with the session, I found it really tough towards the end but am delighted to have finished it. Having the company to do them with really helped, we had 3 for the session and 5 in total.
    Hey Woddle,
    a couple of quick questions:
    1. I had the same issue about going out on the first lap too quick. Tough to have a mature mindset to appreciate that the first lap is always gonna be easier than the last lap!
    2. What did you do for recovery after each mile? Looks like you may have slowed down and even walked for a portion? Is this allowable? Or should we keep jogging even if it is at a very slow pace?? I did slow to a walk after one of my miles earlier this week but presumed it was against the overall good of the session??
    3. Had you any thoughts about doing this session earlier in the week given that Donore is on tomorrow?
    Well done anyways, looks like you should be well on for the <45min 10km in Dunshaughlin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Did a similar session myself last night and in the end decided not to worry too much about the exact pace - plus or minus 10s will happen in a race anyway - though I do try to run the first one a bit slower, sometimes maybe too slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Woddle... what time u heading tomorrow?? I am going to be signing up on the day again.... prep hasn't been ideal this week but sure fook it...

Send me a pm or a text... can't remember if I gave u my no.

Well done on the training this week btw.

Must get my discipline back and start going for early morning runs lol

belcarra wrote: »
    Hey Woddle,
    a couple of quick questions:
    1. I had the same issue about going out on the first lap too quick. Tough to have a mature mindset to appreciate that the first lap is always gonna be easier than the last lap!
    2. What did you do for recovery after each mile? Looks like you may have slowed down and even walked for a portion? Is this allowable? Or should we keep jogging even if it is at a very slow pace?? I did slow to a walk after one of my miles earlier this week but presumed it was against the overall good of the session??
    3. Had you any thoughts about doing this session earlier in the week given that Donore is on tomorrow?
    Well done anyways, looks like you should be well on for the <45min 10km in Dunshaughlin.

Hi Belcarra
    Your right stupid rookie mistake for the first 2 reps but It won't happen next week :D

As regards what to do in between reps - I think as long as you're not just standing still, a walk/jog combo is all good. Where we finished each rep was about 440 meters from the start of the next lap. So what I was doing was when rep finished I walked for about 50 meters, jogged for 340 meters and walked another 50 meter to the start and that would give me about 40 seconds before the next rep which I used for stretching.

No negative thoughts about doing the session as the session was the priority for the week not the 5km, the 5km is just about getting me used to racing again. Sportsworld was my first race in a year. I want to do really well in the Dunshaughlin 10km.

I think the sub 45 is looking good for both of us :D and it was fairly windy doing last nights reps aswell.

Perkina3 wrote: »
    Woddle... what time u heading tomorrow?? I am going to be signing up on the day again.... prep hasn't been ideal this week but sure fook it...

Send me a pm or a text... can't remember if I gave u my no.

Well done on the training this week btw.

Must get my discipline back and start going for early morning runs lol

Not sure if I have your number either but I'll let you know what time for sure later

Sorry. Need t ack your pm somehow but my phone wont let me. Yeah 9.15 or9.20 is perfect. Not in the best form so just runnin t get a time for d 5k

My garmin link

I was really looking forward to this, the plan was to dip under 22.
    A mile warm up with RK and a few strides and I was ready to go, my groin which had annoyed me over the last few days was now nonexistent.
    I started a bit too far back and was hampered alot in the first 500 meters but hit the mile in 7'03 which was perfect but I knew I was working too hard and eased back slightly and ran mile 2 in 7'20.
    The first 2 miles are perfect, your shielded from the wind and have a nice downhill section. However mile 3 up Military road was a bitch and with a two punch combo made up of wind and hill I was knocked out and I looked it too as I had blood streaming from my nose, ran mile 3 in 8'02 :eek:
    After the hills I felt I had more and managed a 37 second last 200 meters to finish in 23'07.

You would think with that time I might be disappointed but I'm not, I felt good throughout and didn't hit the uncomfortable zone that is to be expected of a 5km and all on tired legs from Thursdays tough session.
    Feeling really happy and looking forward to the next race.

1.25 mile of easy jogging after to cool down.

Well done to Donore for putting on a super race and Mr slow and clan for much needed cheering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Good man - dunshaughlin has always been your goal, and that is what your focus is correctly :cool:

Good man - dunshaughlin has always been your goal, and that is what your focus is correctly :cool:

Cheers vagga but the score still reads 2 nil :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Woddle, good run this morning and long time no see.

Whats the plan for the Cork Half? Any goal time that you are aiming for?

chinguetti wrote: »
    Woddle, good run this morning and long time no see.

Whats the plan for the Cork Half? Any goal time that you are aiming for?

Cheers man and great seeing you again.
    I'm thinking 1'45, will be tough going and probably a little beyond me but fcek it that's the target :D followed by a nice pint

• Advertisement

I went to my uncles 40th last night but kept to my no alcohol. I havn't had a drop since April 14th. I can't wait for that pint in Cork.
    Got home at about 1 in the morning and was fairly tired but gave my wife her very well deserved lie in. Finally got out the door for 10 hilly miles (fcuk that km crap). Legs felt really good and brings the mileage to 38 from 5 runs for the second week running.

10 miles, pace 9'30
    AHR 70%/ 154

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Good running Woddle. Nobody is a fan of wind and hills but in a 5K race its a killer alright. The body is under enough stress as it is!

http://www.racepix.com/Donore-Summer-5km/racephotos/509/photo/105/

Some one didn't notice the photographer! :P

Plan for the week

Mon - rest/footy
    Tue - 7 mile easy
    Wed - 5 mile easy
    Thu - 10 mile inc 1x2mile + 4x1mile @10k goal pace
    Fri - 5 mile easy
    Sat - rest
    Sun - 3 mile easy
    mon - Race 1/2 marathon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Plan for the week

Mon - rest/footy
    Tue - 7 mile easy
    Wed - 5 mile easy
    Thu - 10 mile inc 1x2mile + 4x1mile @10k goal pace
    Fri - 5 mile easy
    Sat - rest
    Sun - 3 mile easy
    mon - Race 1/2 marathon
    Whats your plan for the half marathon? have a time or pace in mind?

shels4ever wrote: »
    Whats your plan for the half marathon? have a time or pace in mind?

If conditions are good I may aim for 1:45 but I think that could be just a step too far but I'm prepared to take my punishment if things don't go so well.

If conditions are crap or I feel 1:45 is a silly target well then 1:48.

I've kind of forgotten about the 1/2 with all the 10km focus :D

Have you talked yourself into going all out tonight or is it still a tempo. Having followed your log closely I'm guessing you're in sub 35 shape?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

If conditions are good I may aim for 1:45 but I think that could be just a step too far but I'm prepared to take my punishment if things don't go so well.

If conditions are crap or I feel 1:45 is a silly target well then 1:48.

I've kind of forgotten about the 1/2 with all the 10km focus :D

Have you talked yourself into going all out tonight or is it still a tempo. Having followed your log closely I'm guessing you're in sub 35 shape?

1:45 would be very good running :)

Still going to stick to plan for the first 3 miles at least and if I feel good then might push on a little. But will be happy with somewhere around 36:40 tongiht.
    Have a good few miles in the legs the last few weeks so not really that fresh. But think i'd go sub 35 if did a few faster session and rested up, but that would wreck the rest of my weeks training.

Monday was a scheduled rest day but I went football. I probably shouldn't have but I like football and it was a chance to catch up with a few friends.
    Had my alarm set for 5:15am Tuesday morning but was too tired so said I'd go later but when later arrived I decided against it. Thought I'd benefit from another day off as it was a tough last few days running. On top of that my feet and legs were feeling really tired and I figured out why, I was wearing my racers as casual runners the last few days. When I changed them the relief was instant.
    Anyway, up at 5:15am this morning for an easy 5 miler and the body and legs are back to 100%, both AHR and overall pace for the run were down on previous runs, so a good sign. I wanted to run further and I had the time but decided not to play catch up with miles.

The above quote is from Dean Karnaze.

Great start to the day. Emily and I woke early and got out for a lovely 1 mile jog before school. She was so looking forward to it that she slept in her shorts. Good idea.
    Emilys loop :D
    Last week

1. 7'07, AHR 174
    recovery 4'00
    2. 7'09, AHR 178
    recovery 4'00
    3. 7'21, AHR 178
    recovery 4'00
    4. 7'24, AHR 178
    recovery 4'00
    5. 7'26, AHR 180
    recovery 4'00
    6. 7'31, AHR 180

1+2. 14'37(7'17 & 7'20), AHR 175
    recovery 5'00
    3. 7'17, AHR 179
    recovery 4'00
    4. 7'24, AHR 180
    recovery 4'00
    5. 7'40, AHR 181
    recovery 4'00
    6. 7'16, AHR 182

6 miles in 44'16 (4'35 per k average)(7'23 per mile), AHR 178, max HR 190
    Mcmillan workout 2

Mcmillans 2nd workout and man that was tough. It was great not to have the wind of last week but the heat was tough going (not complaining, not much :D )
    Met up with the usual suspects Sharktale, meno and my buddy Niall. The plan was 1x2 mile and 4x 1 mile @ goal 10k pace, which is hopefully 7'15 per mile but today I said I'd settle for 7'20-7'30.
    Rep 1 (2 miles) was so tough and it's funny how when running it you can't see yourself doing another rep after. This could be a sign that my pace is too quick. 5 minute rest and it went by so quickly, we were all shocked when the watch started doing it's 5 second count down.
    Each one was getting harder but I found the second last (1 mile rep) the hardest and was so close to pulling up but I started thinking about the above quote and plugged on. For the last one we decided not to jog the recovery but to stretch instead and this may have added to making the last rep a little easier but I felt comfortable running it despite the high HR.
    Nothing but easy running now till Mondays half marathon in Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

What time are you hoping for in Cork?

Advertisement