Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Woddle wrote: »
    If conditions are good I may aim for 1:45 but I think that could be just a step too far but I'm prepared to take my punishment if things don't go so well.

If conditions are crap or I feel 1:45 is a silly target well then 1:48.

I've kind of forgotten about the 1/2 with all the 10km focus :D

The above
    Happy enough to set out at 8 min pace and see how far I get but if the heat is like it is today I'll think some more :D

5 easy miles this morning and what a morning it is, not a cloud in the sky.
    AHR 145/64% HRR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Great start to the day. Emily and I woke early and got out for a lovely 1 mile jog before school. She was so looking forward to it that she slept in her shorts. Good idea.

Mcmillans 2nd workout and man that was tough. It was great not to have the wind of last week but the heat was tough going (not complaining, not much :D )

I love the contrast between how children and adults approach running!
    Enjoy the race Monday, the times will look after themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

The above quote is from Dean Karnaze.

1+2. 14'37(7'17 & 7'20), AHR 175
    recovery 5'00
    3. 7'17, AHR 179
    recovery 4'00
    4. 7'24, AHR 180
    recovery 4'00
    5. 7'40, AHR 181
    recovery 4'00
    6. 7'16, AHR 182

6 miles in 44'16 (4'35 per k average)(7'23 per mile), AHR 178, max HR 190
    Mcmillan workout 2

Mcmillans 2nd workout and man that was tough. It was great not to have the wind of last week but the heat was tough going (not complaining, not much :D )
    Met up with the usual suspects Sharktale, meno and my buddy Niall. The plan was 1x2 mile and 4x 1 mile @ goal 10k pace, which is hopefully 7'15 per mile but today I said I'd settle for 7'20-7'30.
    Rep 1 (2 miles) was so tough and it's funny how when running it you can't see yourself doing another rep after. This could be a sign that my pace is too quick. 5 minute rest and it went by so quickly, we were all shocked when the watch started doing it's 5 second count down.
    Each one was getting harder but I found the second last (1 mile rep) the hardest and was so close to pulling up but I started thinking about the above quote and plugged on. For the last one we decided not to jog the recovery but to stretch instead and this may have added to making the last rep a little easier but I felt comfortable running it despite the high HR.
    Nothing but easy running now till Mondays half marathon in Cork.
    Great feedback there Woddle - I must re-read this before my next attempt at this session!
    Enjoy Cork and try not get too sunburnt! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Ah how cute is Emily! :)

I keep dropping hints to Jack in our house about joining an athletic club when he's older. He's only 6 :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

jcsmum wrote: »
    Ah how cute is Emily! :)

I keep dropping hints to Jack in our house about joining an athletic club when he's older. He's only 6 :rolleyes:

:D
    I did the same, I went as far as to ring DSD. I was told to bring her up when she's 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

All the best on Monday Woddle. Enjoy!

Thanks folks.
    No running today but plenty of chores. Now it's time to sit down and watch England and then later Ireland hammering Macedonia.

Plan tomorrow is to head to Cork collect my number and then head back over to Hook where I'll do an easy run of about 4 miles, down to the lighthouse and back. Just me on my lonesome so should be able to relax and get plenty of rest before heading back over to Cork.
    Definitely going out at 8 minute pace, so heres hoping :D

Best of luck to everyone racing over the weekend, hopefully see a few of you in Cork for a pint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Good luck, and I hope to see you down there :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Definitely going out at 8 minute pace, so heres hoping :D

Go for it Dave, keep ticking off those 8 minute miles. It's bound to hurt halfway, but you can get yourself through that, like you got yourself up that hill on the leg 1 recce. Have a blast!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Best of luck tomorrow Dave..Keep it steady and above all enjoy it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Have a good one Dave.

Thanks for the comments guys.

My plan of staying in Wexford kind of back fired. I drove down to Cork from Dublin on Sunday to collect my number, I then headed back over to Hook but didn't realise it would take so long and what was worse it would be even longer in the morning as the car ferry doesn't start running till 9:30am, so I'd have to go up to New ross first and then over to Cork. All in from start to finish (home in Dublin) 530 miles on the clock. Not the best preperation for the half.
    I woke at 6:30am and hit the road for a race start at 11:30 and I've decided when I'm older I'm either moving to Hook or Dungarvan. There wasn't a cloud in the sky and it was a lovely journey along the n25.

The half start time was way too late, not sure why. Myself and Chinguetti had about an hour maybe more of standing around at the start line.

Quick warm up and I was straight into 8 minute miling. I ran the first couple with Ike but he looked alot more comfortable than I did. I looked at my HR and it was quite high, I wasn't too sure why, I raced the sportsworld 5 miler a few weeks back at the same HR but was quicker that day.
    Plan was to not worry about the HR just yet and inspired by theroadrunners race last week when he wasn't feeling it but still dug in I tried the same. I got to 5 miles in 39'47 on pace but another look at the HR and it was now higher than the Donore 5km and I had yet another uphill to contend with. My legs were tired and heavy and I just decided to drop the pace and roll home (that sounds like I had a choice, I didn't :D ).
    The course is actually a horrible course, for the most part you're always running up or down and rarely flat. I didn't like it one bit.
    From taking photos at the finish the last couple of years I always fancied the idea of sprinting the finish and despite an unsatisfactory race I was still going to try finish in style. A girl who was doing the half also went by me with about 600m to go and she looked to be going a nice clip, I kept an eye on her and didn't let her get too far ahead, with about 300m to go I just went for it and passed her with a 100m to go, she tried to respond but couldn't, I had one last glance to make sure she wasn't having another charge, she wasn't and I eased down over the line in about 1:52:50
    My garmin went 3 times throughout the race so that's a guess time for now.

1:52:50
    Pace 8:35/6 a mile
    AHR 172bpm
    Cork city half marathon

I decided not to stop for a pint afterwards as the drive home was on my mind and I just wanted to get it over with, so I'll save that pint for Dunshaughlin 10k, didn't really deserve it anyway.

It might sound like I'm being very negative, so a couple of positives.
    I'm only 10 weeks back running so happy enough with that and although my pace had slowed alot I didn't give into the voices that were shouting DNF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

That's still a great base time to work from. 1:45 was a big ask off your training, but you'll hit it soon enough, the way things are going. I think that was a decent result today.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Yea, dont beat yourself up about it mate - its still not a bad time, and one you can move on from in the weeks ahead as you get more training under your belt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

A solid starty back time. Now go kill those intervals the next time. No surrender. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Dude, twas a very good race off what? 8 weeks training. Nothing to be ashamed of there and you are just going to smash it when the race series comes around. I expect 4 very good times there :P....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Well done, a few mroe long runs and your speed session and that will stand to you come the 10k. 13.1 X 8 min miles was always going to be hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Hi Woodle, good going yesterday after just 10 weeks back and don't be too hard on yourself.

You're right about the start, way too late but i spoke to a couple of guys who were stewarding at the start and they admitted that the start was way too late and that they should change it for next year. Whether that happens, time will tell.

I liked the course alot, actually i loved it and think its a really fast half marathon course and knocked 4 minutes off my pb. This might be because you pass out the world of relay runners which is a great mental boost as you cut through the field. However this also caused traffic problems at the normal points like the Mardyke.

Keep it going and we'll see ya in Dunshaughlin all going well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Well done yesterday - thats a good time for just being back 3 months or so. 1:45 was a big target, you'll smash that the next time anyway.

Might see you in Dunshauglin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

well done woddle. great performance after such a short lead in - looks good for the rest of the summer

Thanks all, I'm not too disappointed to be honest just a little annoyed, I'm probably still aiming too high in my races and I probably should have just concentrated on 1:50 but sure if I keep trying I'll be bound to hit one sooner or later.
    Congrats chinguetti on a super time.

Distance |Current Best |Goal time | 2011 Best
    800m | 2:31| 2:29 |
    1500m | 5:14| 4:59 |
    5k | 19:25| 19:59 | 23:07
    5miles | 33:07 | 33:59 | 38:30
    10k | 44:10| 42:00 |
    10miles | 69:18 | 69:59 |
    Half Marathon | 1:44:?? | 1:35 | 1:52:50
    Marathon | 3:37:45 | 3:29:59|

Plan for the week
    Tue - rest
    Wed - 5 miles easy
    Thu - 10 miles inc 2x2 mile + 2x 1 mile
    Fri - 5 mile easy
    Sat - rest or possible 5km race
    Sun - 10 mile easy

Not sure if I'll race on Saturday now as my legs are tired and I maybe over doing it slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Thanks all, I'm not too disappointed to be honest just a little annoyed, I'm probably still aiming too high in my races

Woddle thats the perfect attitude to have... With that determination u wont b long improving on ur times... Good running yesterday given ur limited training base....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Sorry to hear you were annoyed/disappointed yesterday. Cork is a great race, its such a pity you didnt like it. I can see how the late start for the half could be annoying and having to pass all the slower runners. Still it must be a great mental boost passing people all the time. I found it hard being passed by all ye fast runners 15 miles in:o. Saw you at the end you were flying! Well done on a great time.

Bally8 wrote: »
    . Still it must be a great mental boost passing people all the time.

If only that was the case :D got passed by alot of half people, waiting to read your report and maybe next year your daughter might do a leg aswell, make it a right family affair :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

If only that was the case :D got passed by alot of half people, waiting to read your report and maybe next year your daughter might do a leg aswell, make it a right family affair :D

Oh god I dont know- the weekend in Cork was a great excuse to escape the major teenage attitudes/moods she seems to be developing recently:D

I set the alarm for 5:25am but when the alarm went off I knocked it off and told my wife I'll go when she gets in from work and I went back asleep. I then woke at 6am and jumped out of bed wide awake, got my gear on and was out the door at 6:15am.
    It was just an easy 5 and the HR was back to normal(way down) but I have a few niggles, so I'll have to foam roll the crap out of them later. One in particular is a little worrying. On my right shin and it just occurred to me that it maybe shin splints due to the change in runners for the race.

5 miles @ 9'13 pace
    AHR 147/66% HRR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

well done on monday .....Htfu;)

ultraman1 wrote: »
    well done on monday .....Htfu;)

I was trying but my fat little body just wouldn't go any faster :D

• Advertisement

Last week
    Workout 2
    1+2. 14'37(7'17 & 7'20), AHR 175
    recovery 5'00
    3. 7'17, AHR 179
    recovery 4'00
    4. 7'24, AHR 180
    recovery 4'00
    5. 7'40, AHR 181
    recovery 4'00
    6. 7'16, AHR 182

6 miles in 44'16 (4'35 per k average)(7'23 per mile), AHR 178, max HR 190
    Workout 3
    1+2. 14'27(7'14), AHR 173
    recovery 5'00
    3+4. 14'32(7'16), AHR 178
    recovery 5'00
    5. 7'12, AHR 176
    recovery 4'00
    6. 7'03, AHR 176

6 miles in 43'16 (4'29 per k average)(7'13 per mile), AHR 175, max HR 187
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/91257528

I got a little bit nervous on the way up for this session, maybe because of my race performance in Cork.
    Just 2 of us doing this today. My aim was 7'15s and I really wanted to hit them.
    The first rep (2miles) felt good but it lashed rain on us and I was soaked and probably carrying an extra couple of pounds now as a result of the rain :D
    I was spot on with my pacing which was nice. 5 minute jog back down to the start and it was time to go again, I hit the first mile on time but it started to feel a little tougher and the HR was rising, got it done though and nearly on target. Then on to the mile reps and these both felt really comfortable and with the last one I decided to quicken for the last 200m which led to a higher HR but still not all out.
    Feeling really good after these although not looking forward to next weeks 3x2 mile @ goal pace.
    As for the shin splints, looks like a false alarm. I foam rolled the crap out of them and woke up this morning pain free. Just one more niggle remains and I'll concentrate on that later.
    8.5 miles in total.

Advertisement