Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Brilliant! I thought you looked very comfortable during/after the first 2 miler. A minute faster than last week and a lower HR in a tougher workout, that's progress :D It looks like the heat was a definate factor last week, would you say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

menoscemo wrote: »
    It looks like the heat was a definate factor last week, would you say?

Thanks meno and absolutely, the heat was very tough last week and tonights rain was very welcomed, refreshing. You doing the 3x2 next week?

Woddle wrote: »
    You doing the 3x2 next week?

Definitely. Lets hope it lashes again:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well done Woddle. You nailed that one. Back on target.

Well done Woddle. You nailed that one. Back on target.

Cheers krusty, I was thinking of these words :D
    Whether or not they are a predictor of race pace isn't really rrelevant. The point of the regime is that you should be running the intervals at race pace to get yourself ready to run at that pace in the race. If you can't hit that pace for the intervals, you should probably read something from that.

Better to start out in the race at the pace you can achieve, and then pick up the pace later when you have something left in the tank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Cheers krusty, I was thinking of these words :D
    Tough love!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

6 miles in 43'16 (4'29 per k average)(7'13 per mile), AHR 175, max HR 187
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/91257528

I got a little bit nervous on the way up for this session, maybe because of my race performance in Cork.
    Just 2 of us doing this today. My aim was 7'15s and I really wanted to hit them.
    The first rep (2miles) felt good but it lashed rain on us and I was soaked and probably carrying an extra couple of pounds now as a result of the rain :D

Did a similar session in similar conditions myself yesterday and it really contributes to making these workouts tough.
    If you get a good day for your race it will feel so much easier.
    Good session.

I spent most of the day trying to convince myself that I didn't need to go on a run today. Started reading some of the training logs and saw that both Krusty and slogger had already been out. The two lads had been racing yesterday so really I had no excuses so on with the gear and out the door.

Before I headed out the door I changed the lap distance on my garmin from 1 mile to 2.5 miles. I've been thinking about introducing progression runs for a while now. I was going to play it by ear but I started at 9:00 minute miles for the first 2.5, I was thinking 8:30 for the next 2.5 but it's slightly downhill and the pace ended up at 8:23. I knew the next 2.5 would be tough as the last mile is all uphill but still averaged 7:49.
    I had been hoping to speed up again to 7:30s but the hill had me in bits so I decided on a 1.5 mile recovery before trying to hit 3:15 for 1/2 a mile, Fail :D 3:33
    Finished with a half mile jog home.

10 miles in total, 8:30 pace

Happy with the run and for my DM prep I'll be doing a few more of these on my lsr. In longer races I tend to finish poorly and hopefully these progression runs will help rectify that.

Plan for next week
    Mon - 5 easy
    Tue - 7 easy
    Wed - rest
    Thu - 10 miles inc 3x2 mile
    Fri - 5 miles
    Sat - rest
    Sun - 12 miles

Other good news, my wife is going to start the couch to 5km plan tomorrow with a friend so fingers crossed that she gets hooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Other good news, my wife is going to start the couch to 5km plan tomorrow with a friend so fingers crossed that she gets hooked.

Same here. Glad to see the conversion to kms is going well:) You seem to be back in the training groove, fair play as i know talking to you in Barca you were keen to get back into it!!

Same here. Glad to see the conversion to kms is going well:) You seem to be back in the training groove, fair play as i know talking to you in Barca you were keen to get back into it!!

Back to miles although I'll obviously use meters for the track stuff coming up :D
    You're right I'm back in the groove and loving it. Someone yesterday compared me to Rocky with all my comebacks but I think whats different this time is discipline. I'm sticking pretty much to the schedule and have purposely left out the likes of 400s and 800 intervals.
    I've been following your log alot recently, some super super training going on, don't know where you find the time for it all but keep it up and well done in Bohermeen, I'm just putting the little one back for a nap and I'm going to have a read of your Wicklow 200 report.

Up early for 5 easy miles this morning. My aim for the run was to set a PB for lowest average heart rate :D missed out by a whole beat.

5 miles really slow
    AHR 147/HRR 66%

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Will you be running the series in the park ?

shels4ever wrote: »
    Will you be running the series in the park ?

I've signed up for all 3, the 10 and half come at the right time. I'm especially looking forward to the half and hopefully knock a sizeable chunk of the Cork time.
    What about yourself, what race have you in mind for a Berlin build up?

I've signed up for all 3, the 10 and half come at the right time. I'm especially looking forward to the half and hopefully knock a sizeable chunk of the Cork time.
    What about yourself, what race have you in mind for a Berlin build up?

Will run the 5 and 10 in the race series and think I might do the midlands half marathon in August all going well. Then just a 10k 2 weeks before berlin and thats me finished... only 4 races and 4 pb's to run before then.

shels4ever wrote: »
    only 4 races and 4 pb's to run before then.

Won't be a bother to you, you're part of my motivation mantra now...''must catch shels'' :D

Won't be a bother to you, you're part of my motivation mantra now...''must catch shels'' :D
    Don't think i've raced you since the Dublin Novice :), bad day for both of us then.

I've swapped my running rest day around and took it today instead of tomorrow.
    I have a sprint tri in about 4 weeks and I havn't been on the bike or swimming in a few months now, so time to sort it out.

Johnny Foxes and home via Blue light
    Beautiful evening for a cycle, I headed up towards Johnny Foxes which would mean climbing for a while, didn't need to get out of the saddle.
    When I got to the top I opened up a little for about 3 km (up to the pub )and was averaging 35kmph.
    I didn't go mad on this evenings cycle but I'm fairly sure I'll beat last years cycle time come race day, which was 45:58 for 20ish k.

Now to sort out the swimming, I'll go tomorrow evening and see how many lenghts I can manage.

I meant to add that since the Wicklow way relay which the kids followed in its entirety, the 5 year old has been asking to go running. So yesterday afternoon after Emilys run I brought her on a 1/4 mile lap and she loved it, she ran all of it and is eager to go again. Emily on the otherhand wrote in her journal regarding her run that she ''hated every bit of it'', this was due to the fact that she passed some boys her age and then some girls from school and got a little embarrassed. We had a chat when we got back and she wanted to go again in the morning before school, which we did and she loved every second of it (nobody saw her)
    My wife also started her couch to 5km and hasn't been left scarred for life as she is also looking forward to her next jog.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

That's great D, you're obviously a very positive role model for your family, you should be very proud. I was delighted when my wife told me the other day that my 3 and a half year old son put on earphones and told her he was heading off to run a marathon.:D I'll wait til he's a bit older to dissuade him from wearing them while racing ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

That's great D, you're obviously a very positive role model for your family, you should be very proud.
    Plus One - Fantastic Stuff! I hope you have a huge cheese grin permanently on your face, cos you deserve it :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

mrslow wrote: »
    I was delighted when my wife told me the other day that my 3 and a half year old son put on earphones and told her he was heading off to run a marathon

I hope you told him he needs to master the shorter distances first!

Thanks for the comments folks.

Up and out early this morning for an easy 5 miler. I was a little tired if I'm being honest, obviously from the cycle.
    I tried my route in reverse and hated every second of it, never again.

I got passed by a hotty, who I thought may have been Linda Byrne cause of the speed of her but it wasn't, no idea who it was but she was flying and comfortably so, has to be a somebody in running circles at that speed but who*?

* possible new crush :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

mrslow wrote: »
    I was delighted when my wife told me the other day that my 3 and a half year old son put on earphones and told her he was heading off to run a marathon.

What's on the playlist - the Wiggles or Marathon Talk :D

So after a positive cycle yesterday it was time to test the waters :D in the pool.
    No warm up just straight into a 500 meter time trial, started off too fast but got some kind of rhythm going albeit a slow one. I finished in 13:14 which is about 30 seconds faster than last years race (but I messed up big in that race) but is about 2 minutes slower than what I was doing in training last summer. Still very happy given that I havn't been in the pool in a while.
    Cooled down with another 100m.

I've decided to postpone Mcmillans last workout till Friday or Saturday and am instead going to race the 800m at the trinity track meet.

I've decided to postpone Mcmillans last workout till Friday or Saturday and am instead going to race the 800m at the trinity track meet.

Coolio, is Niall still gonna meet us in the car park at 6? Orna is gonna let me know at 4ish if she can make it, if so she will be making it just after 6...I suppose I can still meet the lads at 6 and do a warm up if necessary..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

So after a positive cycle yesterday it was time to test the waters :D in the pool.
    No warm up just straight into a 500 meter time trial, started off too fast but got some kind of rhythm going albeit a slow one. I finished in 13:14 which is about 30 seconds faster than last years race (but I messed up big in that race) but is about 2 minutes slower than what I was doing in training last summer. Still very happy given that I havn't been in the pool in a while.
    Cooled down with another 100m.

Hey Woddle,

Looks like you're set for the tri so. Great that you still remember how to swim;) - LOL.

Your running is coming on great. All the best with the training and the upcoming Dunshaughlin 10k.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

What's the target for Dunshaughlin?

Mr Slow wrote: »
    What's the target for Dunshaughlin?

Sub 45 but it maybe just slightly out of reach but that's OK as it's more about the training for now.

Cycled 5.5 miles into trinity for the race, grand that'll do as the warm up. I got very nervous before the race (I thought I had sorted all that sillyness out), I think the nerves are coming from not doing alot of fast running and the unknown.

I was prepared for the quick start and as a result held back towards the rear.. First lap felt OK and was 86 seconds, a little slower than I had hoped. On the second lap I decided to pick it up slightly and was now starting to feel a little uncomfortable but was holding myself together. With about 150m to go I dug in again and started to pass a few but the lactic acid was really building up and I crossed the line in 2:47, which meant a 81 second second lap.
    I've looked back over the garmin pace and I'm delighted to see how strong I finished. Well done to Stmochtas who was in the same race and finished in about the same time.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/92856271

5.5 miles back home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Well done tonight never easy on the track

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Cycled 5.5 miles into trinity for the race, grand that'll do as the warm up. I got very nervous before the race (I thought I had sorted all that sillyness out), I think the nerves are coming from not doing alot of fast running and the unknown.

I was prepared for the quick start and as a result held back towards the rear.. First lap felt OK and was 86 seconds, a little slower than I had hoped. On the second lap I decided to pick it up slightly and was now starting to feel a little uncomfortable but was holding myself together. With about 150m to go I dug in again and started to pass a few but the lactic acid was really building up and I crossed the line in 2:47, which meant a 81 second second lap.
    I've looked back over the garmin pace and I'm delighted to see how strong I finished. Well done to Stmochtas who was in the same race and finished in about the same time.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/92856271

5.5 miles back home.
    I've never done the track session type thing but that garmin pace profile looks very impressive to my untrained eye at least...Doubt I'd manage that pace for even 400m!!

• Advertisement

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Well done tonight never easy on the track

No but very bloody enjoyable, well done yourself, for an oulfella like :D

Advertisement