Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Woddle wrote: »
    No but very bloody enjoyable, well done yourself, for an oulfella like :D

Once you can keep your 200 splits lower than your age it's all good :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Distance |Current Best |Goal time | 2011 Best
    800m | 2:31| 2:29 | 2:47
    1500m | 5:14| 4:59 |
    5k | 19:25| 19:59 | 23:07
    5miles | 33:07 | 33:59 | 38:30
    10k | 44:10| 42:00 |
    10miles | 69:18 | 69:59 |
    Half Marathon | 1:44:?? | 1:35 | 1:52:50
    Marathon | 3:37:45 | 3:29:59|

5 rain soaked miles this morning. I didn't realise it was raining till I was already togged out - I wonder if I had known would I have gotten back into bed :D I think so.

No running today, belly has been a little upset for most of the day.
    My wife however, did get out and finished week 1 (3 outings) of the c25k and I'm delighted for her. Her running partner gave up after day 1.

The below pic is coming up to the end of lap 1, tis a shame there's none of the finish, the contrast would have been funny.
    5848526763_c7c4edf412_z.jpg
    _MG_2033 by bhaa, on Flickr

Thanks for the pic whoever took it.

On July 20th and July 30th there will be 800m races at the graded meets, so I'm going to target them starting today.
    I regret that I didn't start back in January as I'm leaving myself with very little time to show any improvement and the track season ends in August.
    I had ruled out doing DM this year but I'll make a call after the 6 weeks.
    Going to do 2 Jack Daniels sessions a week, in his book he has 3 a week but I don't think I'm able for that right now.

Tonight
    JD workout 1

1 mile warm up
    4x200m in 44 seconds with a 1/2 min recovery
    4x400m in 88 seconds with a 2/3 min recovery
    4x200m in 44 seconds with a 1/2 min recovery
    1 mile cool down

The 44/88 seconds are JDs prescribed pace for the session based on a current 800m time of 2:40. I know I ran 2:47 and not 2:40 but I figure 2:40 is where I'm at as 2:47 was done on grass, I also raced wide and conservatively in the first lap which cost me a few seconds.

and the sets went as follows
    200s - 44, 43, 44, 46 Recovery was 200 meter jog
    400s - 88, 92, 87, 88 Recovery was 400 meter jog for the first 2 and a 200m walk for the last 2
    200s - 42, 43, 43, 38 Recovery was 200 meter jog

5.7 miles in all tonight

I tried my best to hit all the targets and not overdo. For the last 2x200s I really tried to concentrate on form and the last one I tried for a quicker turn over but without going all out and it showed as it was also the rep with the lowest HR.
    I really enjoyed this evening despite the lashing rain and I had the track all to myself.

On other news looks like I'm going to join Tallaght AC. I'm going up on Thursday to suss it out. The use of the track was the main pull.

5.7 miles in all tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

I may join you on that buddy... An old injury has been at me the last couple days as a result of my escapades at the weekend so been resting....

Not sure how to approach this week now as I had to miss yesterdays session cuz of it.... don't want to go flat out though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Perkina3 wrote: »
    An old injury has been at me the last couple days as a result of my escapades at the weekend....

Genital warts, the gift that keeps on giving!:D

Couldn't get out of bed for my easy 5 this morning despite being fast asleep at 10 the night before, so had to drag my ass out in the lashing rain this evening. Legs were a little tired but glad to have gotten out.

Up and out early this morning for 5 very very slow miles, Kept my HR well down but my easy pace was alot slower than normal which is just a sign that I'm still a bit tired after Mondays track.

I went to check out my new club tonight :D Tallaght AC, met ecoli who gave myself, meno and Gerard65 a tour. I was well impressed and can't wait to get stuck in, so much so that I had a session on the track tonight. The difference of this track compared with UCD is unreal, I felt like tigger with the amount of bounce I was feeling in each stride.
    I did water this evenings session down slightly with Saturdays race in mind, session went according to plan and perfect evening for it.

JD workout 2
    Prescribed
    6x200m in 44 seconds (R) with a 200m jog recovery
    1x1000m in 4:00 (I) with a 2/3 min recovery
    1x1 mile in 6:56 (T) with 1 min rest
    6x200m in 44 seconds (R) with a 200m jog recovery

Watered down
    3x200m in 44 seconds (R) with a 200m jog recovery
    1x800m in 3:12 (I) with a 2/3 min recovery
    1x1000 in 4:20 (T) with 1 min rest
    3x200m in 44 seconds (R) with a 200m jog recovery

4.7 miles in total.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

You definitely joining Tallaght then? You have a great choice of clubs around your parts.

Good luck with the club, I'm definitely regretting leaving it so long to take the step, I definitely wouldn't be back where I am now if I hadn't.

I went to check out my new club tonight :D Tallaght AC,
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Met up with woddle, gerard and ecoli mid run for a snoop around the facitilities at Tallaght AC. I'm considering joining now as I met a nice group targetting similar times to me in Marathons this autumn, I'll probably pop along on Monday for a jog with them...

And so the demise of Boards AC begins...

You definitely joining Tallaght then? You have a great choice of clubs around your parts.

Good luck with the club, I'm definitely regretting leaving it so long to take the step, I definitely wouldn't be back where I am now if I hadn't.

Definitely, the track was the big factor and it's just about near enough that I can jog or cycle up. There was also a really good atmosphere around the place. Hopefully this step will bring us on leaps.

Mr Slow wrote: »

Never, the singlet will always live on :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

No, Boards AC still exists, just not AI registered and the Mountain running guys still fly the flag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Sure, why are you worried? You were never in it in the first place!:p

Sure, why are you worried? You were never in it in the first place!:p

It's about people connecting through Boards, loads of people I met in Cork recognised my username, the Boards AC tops are important and now you two are fluting off to Tallaght AC.

Down with this sort of thing! :cool:

It's about people connecting through Boards, loads of people I met in Cork recognised my username, the Boards AC tops are important and now you two are fluting off to Tallaght AC.

Down with this sort of thing! :cool:

We are all still in Boards Ac. Even IF I join, I'll be generally wearing my boards vest at races.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

We are all still in Boards Ac. Even IF I join, I'll be generally wearing my boards vest at races.

As the old quote goes 'Servants of two masters will not keep either master content'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

On other news looks like I'm going to join Tallaght AC. I'm going up on Thursday to suss it out. The use of the track was the main pull.

You might see me there as well in January.
    I was looking into it before the Boards AC concept came along. Its very convenient for anyone living or working close to the M50 in Dublin even though it might not immediately seem an obvious choice. A 15 minute drive on the motorway covers a lot of ground.

• Advertisement

What a morning for a run.
    5 easy miles while listening to marathon talk and the numbers suggest that last nights watered down effort took nothing out of me.
    When I got back from my run I attempted to wake Emily for her run but she pretty much told me to buzz off :D

My wife went out last night and left the car in the orchard so my plan was to do an easy 3 down to get it. As I was getting ready in pops Emily in her gear, I could hardly say no, so we went the more direct route 1.25 miles, really nice run and I've given her some homework :D

I was going to target sub 45 tonight but for 2 reasons I'm going to target a slightly quicker time.
    1. According to all available heart rate data, I havn't been racing hard enough.
    2. My 10km PB is soft at 44:10

Nothing I've been doing in training suggests a quicker time but I have a good feeling and the body is feeling good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Stick with me and Mrs Low - we should be 43.xx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

A couple of minutes faster than I had planned, but I may try and follow you guys...

Maybe we should start right at the front, run side by side [maybe holding hands is a step too far :pac:], and block the road for everyone who is faster than us :pac:

RayCun wrote: »
    Stick with me and Mrs Low - we should be 43.xx

I think Mrs Low is going faster than that. Remember he did 43.xx in training. You are going to have to pull your socks up to beat him tonight ray...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I think Mrs Low is going faster than that. Remember he did 43.xx in training. You are going to have to pull your socks up to beat him tonight ray...

Ah sure training runs don't count ;)
    You're right though. I think the standings at the moment are that he's run faster marathon and 10 mile times, I've faster 5k and 5 mile results. My only 10k in the last year was the Great Ireland Run shambles, but he's run faster than that in training a couple of times...

I was in good form heading to this and as a result my aim was to go out hardish and hang on.
    It's a fast first mile so I thought I'd make the best of it 6:52
    Mile 2 had slipped slightly and I was a little bit wary that I was right behind Raycun and Mr slow but it felt good 7:12
    I had the heart rate screen turned off but that didn't matter as I didn't need it to tell me I was working too hard. I tried to hold on but pace was slipping 7:29
    Vagga went by me in and around this stage and I tried to go with and keep him in my sights, which I did for the next mile but then I lost him, aswell as my concentration 7:41
    I knew the hill was coming and as a result I slowed down even more but then I was joined by Racoon queen and this helped to get me motoring again 8:08.
    I saw a couple of kids up ahead with water and I uttered ''Hit me'' and they obliged and gave me a welcomed soaking and with that I started to inject a bit of pace and started to take some of the places back 7:30
    I may have made my move too soon as I was hurting but I still managed a sprint finish and a nice puke at the finish line which grossed out some kids.
    46:16
    Garmin - Dunshaughlin 10km

Overall I'm happy with my effort but I need to work on my concentration for sure.

Distance |Current Best |Goal time | 2011 Best
    800m | 2:31| 2:29 | 2:47
    1500m | 5:14| 4:59 |
    5k | 19:25| 19:59 | 23:07
    5miles | 33:07 | 33:59 | 38:30
    10k | 44:10| 42:00 | 46:16
    10miles | 69:18 | 69:59 |
    Half Marathon | 1:44:?? | 1:35 | 1:52:50
    Marathon | 3:37:45 | 3:29:59|

5.5 mile recovery run this morning, didn't have time for anymore (lie in and baby sitting duties)
    Legs were so tired and heavy. I think I managed to miss the predicted heat :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

You didn't hit it this time, but keep up the good work and it's yours. Your not long back at it, and every week you're running is another step closer.
    Just don't go out too fast next time! ;-)

Advertisement