Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Macanri wrote: »
    You didn't hit it this time, but keep up the good work and it's yours. Your not long back at it, and every week you're running is another step closer.
    Just don't go out too fast next time! ;-)

Cheers mac, feeling good about my training.
    I think when you first start back your always questioning yourself as to how the hell am I going to get back to where I was but starting to see the light :D

Up and out early for a tad over 6. Lovely morning for it although legs are still a little on the heavy side.

Also a new AHR PB of 141/62%HRR :D

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Woddle,

Thats some very good running.... I am going to have to start looking over my shoulder here :P....an if I am in the country in Sept this 5km rathfarnham showdown is very much a possibility ha!

Keep it up chief! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Perkina3 wrote: »
    Woddle,

Thats some very good running.... I am going to have to start looking over my shoulder here :P....an if I am in the country in Sept this 5km rathfarnham showdown is very much a possibility ha!

Keep it up chief! :)

Are you suggesting that Woddle would be behind you? He has a 3:37 marathon under his belt....:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Woddle wrote: »
    Up and out early for a tad over 6. Lovely morning for it although legs are still a little on the heavy side.

Also a new AHR PB of 141/62%HRR :D

Im the same,have a flush out session tommorow at 75% 6 x 2mins,would highly reccomend it 3 days after a race.
    whats the next race?

• Advertisement

Im the same,have a flush out session tommorow at 75% 6 x 2mins,would highly reccomend it 3 days after a race.
    whats the next race?

I'm heading up to the track when OH gets in from work. Daniels has a pyramid scheduled 200, 400, 600, 400, 200

I'm racing a sprint tri on the 9th and then the 5 mile in the park on the 16th. How about yourself, you racing the 5 miler?

A few months back I started a thread about workouts or runs that you can chart your progress on. I was probably being a bit silly in that I wanted sth bi weekly. Anyway fast forward two months and I have my first real comparison. The sessions to compare are 5x1k with 2:30 rest in between.
    28/4/2011
    1. 4'08, AHR 174
    recovery 2'30
    2. 4'15, AHR 181
    recovery 2'30
    3. 4'18, AHR 183
    recovery 2'30
    4. 4'18, AHR 183
    recovery 2'30
    5. 4'15, AHR 184

5k in 21'14 (4'15 per k average), AHR 180, max HR 193

28/6/2011
    1. 3'58, AHR 167
    recovery 2'30
    2. 3'57, AHR 173
    recovery 2'30
    3. 3'59, AHR 175
    recovery 2'30
    4. 4'01, AHR 177
    recovery 2'30
    5. 4'04, AHR 177

5k in 20'00 (4'00 per k average), AHR 173, max HR 187

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/95518835

Really happy with the results and in just two months. Averaged 15 seconds quicker per km for a much lower heart rate. If I can keep this up going sub 20 in Rathfarnham should be just a matter of turning up. I'm also 9lbs lighter which I'm sure is a big factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Really happy with the results and in just two months. Averaged 15 seconds quicker per km for a much lower heart rate. If I can keep this up going sub 20 in Rathfarnham should be just a matter of turning up. I'm also 9lbs lighter which I'm sure is a big factor.

Consistancy has been key. You've put together a spell of decent training, without getting diverted by other plans, or long lay-offs. Keep it going, this will be a good year for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Well done Woddle - You're well on track!

As mentioned consistency is the key and I can vouch for that as I've been Mr. Inconsistent, so whereas we both started from relatively similar positions you are much further ahead at this stage!
    Again, fair play to you!

What's the next target now that Dunshaughlin is out of the way?

belcarra wrote: »
    What's the next target now that Dunshaughlin is out of the way?

Looking to do a 1 mile race and 800m at the end of July. I'm also considering the DLR 10k on the 1st of August.
    I've been waiting for you to update your log to see how you got on in Dunshaughlin.

Up and out early for yet another beautiful morning run.
    5 miles, AHR 143

My garmin went a few times so it looks like another hard reset is on the cards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I struggled round to be honest and managed 49mins dead. I expected to be somewhere between 47 and 50 before the race so 49 was about right. I'll be updating the log this evening.

I did Day 2 of P&D 55mile, 18wk plan last night and managed a 49'11" 10k during that 13k run so there was definitely something a bit off about me at Dunshaughlin...

8.1 miles at a steady pace
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/95810225

What another great morning for a run. Really is the best time of day the quietness and having the roads to yourself is just perfect.

I knew I wanted to do this run a little faster than easy pace but I decided to leave it up to the legs and gradient to determine pace.

Same route as Thursday, only difference was I had the fine company of theboyblunder which helped in making the miles whiz by.

I missed out on a run yesterday as the day just got away from me but that's Ok as I had got out the previous 11 days :D and the body feels good for it.

4.5 miles out to collect the car at a nice recovery pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

what races do you have planned for the next few months? Have you one major race in mind to get a quick 800 or 1500?

shels4ever wrote: »
    what races do you have planned for the next few months? Have you one major race in mind to get a quick 800 or 1500?

Bhaa 1 mile on the 27th (I think) I'd like to get under and see how far under 6 I could go. After that it'll be all about Rathfarnham 5km and it'll be all about getting a new PB :D
    Still unsure about Dublin, yesterday I was doing it for sure, today not so much.
    We should try get a run in soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Bhaa 1 mile on the 27th (I think) I'd like to get under and see how far under 6 I could go. After that it'll be all about Rathfarnham 5km and it'll be all about getting a new PB :D
    Still unsure about Dublin, yesterday I was doing it for sure, today not so much.
    We should try get a run in soon.

Dublin as in DCM? Thought you were going for MD? I can't keep up with you:rolleyes:. Knock the maratthon on the head this year. You cant train for a mile till August and then marathon for 8 weeks. Stick to 5ks and 10ks over the winter (maybe push to a HM)

ecoli wrote: »
    Dublin as in DCM? Thought you were going for MD?

There doesn't seem to be any races for me to target in August, I feel I've left it too late for this year.
    And the middle distance stuff at the moment and for the next 4/5 weeks ties in nicely with the marathon plan I drew up a few months back, which is along the lines of
    6 weeks - base and longer intervals (done)
    6 weeks - shorter intervals/track work (which is now)
    6 weeks - building endurance
    4 weeks - more marathon paced runs
    2 weeks - taper

but in saying all the above I'm still not a 100% on the marathon. My uncle has been advising me of late and he has also told me to forget the marathon and concentrate on cross country season. Only thing is I hate cross country :D but maybe I only hate it cause I've never trained for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

My uncle has been advising me of late and he has also told me to forget the marathon and concentrate on cross country season. Only thing is I hate cross country :D but maybe I only hate it cause I've never trained for it.

There's very few who train for XC - use it as part of your training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

but in saying all the above I'm still not a 100% on the marathon. My uncle has been advising me of late and he has also told me to forget the marathon and concentrate on cross country season. Only thing is I hate cross country :D but maybe I only hate it cause I've never trained for it.

The always the 3k the 10th of august and the 2 miler on your new clubs track end of August(BHAA)?

Uncle knows best:D. I was about to say cross is an option or there are always the Alsaa Winter Track Leagues to consider? moreso 3ks but could build strength as well as working on speed for 800s next season?

• Advertisement

ecoli wrote: »
    The always the 2 miler on your new clubs track end of August(BHAA)?

So don't get the 2 mile on a track. It should be a 3k and I told the guy organising it on the way home in the car from Dunshaughlin last week :D

See another aspect is I know how I felt last year when I was taking pics at Milltown and not running and I know how I felt in Barcelona this year when all the other boardsies were racing except moi.

Didn't realise alsaa have a winter league and I'd be very much interested in 3k, sure we can have a chat on Tuesday if you're about. I'll be up for about 4:30 (for sure this time)

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    There's very few who train for XC - use it as part of your training.

Yep but there are some crazy people that are going to target the XC season big time too ;) There are some very nice races :).

So don't get the 2 mile on a track. It should be a 3k and I told the guy organising it on the way home in the car from Dunshaughlin last week :D

See another aspect is I know how I felt last year when I was taking pics at Milltown and not running and I know how I felt in Barcelona this year when all the other boardsies were racing except moi.

Didn't realise alsaa have a winter league and I'd be very much interested in 3k, sure we can have a chat on Tuesday if you're about. I'll be up for about 4:30 (for sure this time)
    There is also a clonlif winter league and Raheny have a winter series too, so lots of 1-3 mile races still going then.
    I'd agree with ecoli there, you could get up until christmas with races from 1500m to 5k. Then look for a fast spring marathon.
    Maybe let someone coach you and let them make all the calls for a year and see how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

shels4ever wrote: »
    There is also a clonlif winter league and Raheny have a winter series too, so lots of 1-3 mile races still going then.
    I'd agree with ecoli there, you could get up until christmas with races from 1500m to 5k. Then look for a fast spring marathon.
    Maybe let someone coach you and let them make all the calls for a year and see how it goes.

2 mile road race in Greystones on July 13th

Now that the summer holidays are here, I don't have to get up and out so early. So out at 7:30 for a gentle 5 miler and there was a nice surprise along the way, the park was opened. A really nice morning for a run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

There doesn't seem to be any races for me to target in August, I feel I've left it too late for this year.
    And the middle distance stuff at the moment and for the next 4/5 weeks ties in nicely with the marathon plan I drew up a few months back, which is along the lines of
    6 weeks - base and longer intervals (done)
    6 weeks - shorter intervals/track work (which is now)
    6 weeks - building endurance
    4 weeks - more marathon paced runs
    2 weeks - taper

There are two ways of looking at the above.

1) The first is from a performance point of view. You will run all the races you have planned suboptimally. It's hard jumping from 800/1500 to 5k/10k let alone up to the marathon. Most club coaches would hit the roof if you told them of your plans for the next 16 weeks.

2) The second is where I think you are coming from. At the end of the day this running lark is only a hobby and if running middle distance to the marathon keeps you interested and gets you out the door then go for it, just don't expect to see massive improvements as your training isn't specific or sustained (which I think is the most important) enough for one event. I'm a little more performance driven myself (and I think the guys who posted above are as well) but I think I can see where you are coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Yeah see I would be the same as Woddle here... in that I love the challenge of trying to run the marathon...I thinking of just running it for ****s an giggles this year with minimal training but we shall see..... *Hides behind something large to stop Ecoli from hitting him*

Ah to be serious though....I have taken the focused approach this year and Ecoli has been giving me training sessions each week. While I am not managing to hit each one and I know they are not all that intense I have noticed a good improvement in my running times.... Like I am potentially looking at running a sub 19 at a 5km later this year an a *possible* sub 18 by xmas looking at how my running is going.....

Really looking forward to seeing how this goes but Woddle I dunno, U had ur goals set on an 800m at the end of this month and the DCM when I spoke to you first and I think u cud go for both...U training starting off for the DCM will be tough but not hitting its peak so u cud tailor the training ur doing to include some sprints and fartlek work which will stand to you for the 800m and go straight into either a 12 week P+D programme or something of this description. Think ur goal of a sub 3.30 maybe a little tough this year but you could easily go sub 3.40 with the way you are running atm...

Just my two cents and as you know the guys above have a loit more knowledge than me!

1) The first is from a performance point of view. You will run all the races you have planned suboptimally. It's hard jumping from 800/1500 to 5k/10k let alone up to the marathon. Most club coaches would hit the roof if you told them of your plans for the next 16 weeks.

As always RR you may be right and I always appreciate your comments, you know whats coming next though
    but it's specific to me. I have poor form and I feel by introducing 200/400s they will improve my form as when I'm doing them it's mainly what I'm concentrating on. Also I'm hoping the faster running will make the likes of 5k and 10k paces feel alot easier which will then make half and marathon paces feel real easy. I planned all this before building up the mileage as hopefully these 6 weeks will improve economy and form.
    There are two ways of looking at the above.

2) keeps you interested and gets you out the door then go for it.

This would sum me up for now. I think everyone knows I have motivation issues from time to time. I think some of those issues are marathon related. The plans are long and I do lose interest, probably why I've mixed it up this time.

I also have accepted that my improvement for middle distance this year will be minimal but I'm ok with that.

I think the main thing for me this year is to stay running and enjoy it and then build on that for next year with specifics. Hopefully joining Tallaght will sort that out.
    Perkina3 wrote: »
    Think ur goal of a sub 3.30 maybe a little tough this year but you could easily go sub 3.40 with the way you are running atm...

You're wrong.
    I'm already ahead of where I was in 08 when I ran 3'37. Sub 3:30 all the way, if I do it.

In short I don't know if I'm running Dublin yet but all the running that's been done at the moment is part of the above plan.

No idea if the above makes sense.
    Took me ages to write it as kids are wrecking my head :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Took me ages to write it as kids are wrecking my head :D

Haha, it's only the first proper day of the holidays - that'll be a long summer :pac:

Advertisement