Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Haha, it's only the first proper day of the holidays - that'll be a long summer :pac:

The baby is having her nap and the other two are trying their hardest to wake her. They insist on going to the toilet every 10 minutes, baby room is beside toilet :D

What's worse is that I'm on my own. My wife normally has the summer holidays off aswell but she decided to work the next 3 weeks :eek:

Warm up - 3.75 miles inc 4 x 100m and alot of stretching
    800 meter race
    0.75 mile cool down

The club have a race series on and tonight they had a few varying distances on the track including an 800m. Great.
    I reckoned I could go under 2:40, which would be 80 seconds a lap.
    As the race started a couple of the young wipper snappers flew off and wouldn't be seen again (2'01 or sth) that left me leading out the next group which was fine as I could hug the inside of the track. I was expecting someone to go by me soon but nobody did and as I went through the 400m mark I heard 78/79 being called. I thought nice one I'm on pace but for some reason I told myself to keep it steady, don't speed up, checked my split at 600m and I was 2:02, shlt it needed to be 2:00, tried to keep my cool and with a 150m to go I picked it up and was in full flight in to a slight head wind and crossed the line in 2:42.
    Happy enough as it's faster than the trinity track 2:47 a few weeks back. But I had more in the tank tonight.
    Tonight felt more like a time trial than a race as I saw and heard nobody throughout the race. Splits were 79 and 83.

Distance |PB |Goal time | 2011 Best
    800m | 2:31| 2:29 | 2:42
    1500m | 5:14| 4:59 |
    5k | 19:25| 19:59 | 23:07
    5miles | 33:07 | 33:59 | 38:30
    10k | 44:10| 42:00 | 46:16
    10miles | 69:18 | 69:59 |
    Half Marathon | 1:44:?? | 1:35 | 1:52:50
    Marathon | 3:37:45 | 3:29:59|

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Woddle wrote: »

As the race started a couple of the young wipper snappers flew off and wouldn't be seen again (2'01 or sth)

The lad in third ran 2'11 and is only 13 :eek:

I woke up early this morning feeling refreshed so jumped out for 5 recovery miles. I might sound like a broken record but what a lovely morning for a run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Well done with the 2:42.

Do you think the the WU is too much. I find that a mile is more than enough for me, and that if I do 2 I feel a little tired heading into the race. So do you think you would feel fresher with a shorter WU?

• Advertisement

Macanri wrote: »
    Well done with the 2:42.

Do you think the the WU is too much. I find that a mile is more than enough for me, and that if I do 2 I feel a little tired heading into the race. So do you think you would feel fresher with a shorter WU?

I agree.
    The problem was I wasn't sure what time it was starting at, so I just started doing laps and stretching and was ready to go for 7pm but then I was told it'd be starting at 7:30 so I did a few more laps and yep I felt a little tired going into it but the second it started I was all good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

I agree.
    The problem was I wasn't sure what time it was starting at, so I just started doing laps and stretching and was ready to go for 7pm but then I was told it'd be starting at 7:30 so I did a few more laps and yep I felt a little tired going into it but the second it started I was all good.

That was probably my fault for saying they usually start around seven or so:o
    But I had more in the tank tonight.

Never a good sign in a race. Think you need to aim for a more positive split. Still have the marathon (distance) mentality and fear of blowing up but believe it or not that is how many of 800s are run. Your Anaerobic system is pushed for the first 600 and from there it is you Aerobic strength used to get you to the line. You have plenty of the second just need to push bit harder from the gun. In current shape I think 2.3x is well within your range

Having said that cant complain as long as the times are coming down not up congrats on the race

ecoli wrote: »
    Never a good sign in a race. Think you need to aim for a more positive split. Still have the marathon (distance) mentality and fear of blowing up but believe it or not that is how many of 800s are run.

Never thought of it like that and it kind of makes sense.

Couldn't get out of bed this morning for a planned 10 miler and the day kept threatening to get away from me.
    Finally got out just after 8pm and decided to make it a 5 mile fartlek. Really enjoyable session.
    5 miles in 38:43 (7:45 pace) with 14 minutes worth of pace (6:25)
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/97529708

That makes it 17 runs from the last 18 days and the legs still feeling really good (thanks mainly to alot of easy/recovery running).

Hopefully I'll get up early tomorrow.

Hopefully I'll get up early tomorrow.

And I did just that.
    5.5 miles at a comfortable clip.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

And I did just that.
    5.5 miles at a comfortable clip.
    I never doubted you. :) All set for tomorrow?

Oryx wrote: »
    I never doubted you. :) All set for tomorrow?

Can't wait, I had a very unsettled sleep last night with nerves kicking in already. Going to try and get to the pool today for some last minute swatting :D
    Hope your calf isn't too serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Hey Woodle, All the best for tomorrow.
    Ease into it: Nice and relaxed on the swim(well as relaxed as you can, ie save the energy - don't trash through it), Build into the bike; and then take advantage of all this running and hammer the run once the legs come back after the bike. And don't forget the big sprint finish. :)
    Hope the weathers good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

good luck tomorrow woddle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

It may be the bottle of wine I've just had but I watched that 3 times in a row - Brilliant!!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Genius.....

To be honest its pretty similar to the reaction I got when I said

1) I was running a marathon

2) Thinking I wanted to do an Ironman

Very enjoyable race, especially after the swim was finished.
    The swim was a disaster, between hats, ear plugs, faster swimmers in your lane and the fact that I kept swimming into the side of the pool. I was the last out of the pool but I got a nice cheer from the spectators. Into T2 and I was slow enough, it was a sloppy change.
    I knew I was a couple of minutes behind last years time so I decided to work hard on the bike which I did. I forgot how hilly it was but overall a fair course.
    I did well in T2 and it was only after about 500 meters of running that I knew why, I had forgotten to take of my cycling shorts (I had my swim/run shorts on under them).
    The first half of the run is all uphill and pretty tough and my legs were like rubber, I couldn't really judge what pace I was running at, the garmin told me I was doing OK though (little on the slow side). I kept thinking my legs would return to normal so I could let it rip but they never did, I did enjoy the downhill finish though.

I've taken 6:08 off last years time and I've only been on the bike once this year (two weeks ago, have a really sore ass) and I've only had 1 swim session again two weeks ago. A little annoyed that I couldn't work harder on the run but overall I'm delighted.
    I feel if I did give the race some respect and make a proper go of training for next year I could do really well. I'll be back for sure as it's very well organised.
    Nice meeting Oryx, dustybin and a few other faces from last year.

Cycle course
    Run course

Swim 13:38 - 14:18
    T1 2:31 - 2:12
    Cycle 45:58 - 44:37
    T2 1:03 - 0:53
    Run 28:38 - 23:38

1:31:48 - 1:25:40

There are two ways of looking at the above.

1) The first is from a performance point of view. You will run all the races you have planned suboptimally. It's hard jumping from 800/1500 to 5k/10k let alone up to the marathon. Most club coaches would hit the roof if you told them of your plans for the next 16 weeks.

2) The second is where I think you are coming from. At the end of the day this running lark is only a hobby and if running middle distance to the marathon keeps you interested and gets you out the door then go for it, just don't expect to see massive improvements as your training isn't specific or sustained (which I think is the most important) enough for one event. I'm a little more performance driven myself (and I think the guys who posted above are as well) but I think I can see where you are coming from.

I've been thinking about the above post since RR posted it (could be a link with restless nights :D ) and I've been chatting with my uncle this morning and I've made my decision. I will not be running a marathon this year. I have been very prone to changing my mind but not this time, I will resist all urges. Hopefully this will focus me even more for the rest of the year and I can spank the Rathfarnham 5km.
    And as always I've really appreciated the advice, ecoli also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Think it's the right decision, concentrating on the shorter stuff will allow you to make real gains there. you can't run every race

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

RayCun wrote: »
    you can't run every race

It's fun trying though!:D

Aye...

Speaking to Ecoli made me come to the same decision myself..... Bit disappointed but hoping its going to pay off :)

Glad u made the decision now mate

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I've been thinking about the above post since RR posted it (could be a link with restless nights :D ) and I've been chatting with my uncle this morning and I've made my decision. I will not be running a marathon this year. I have been very prone to changing my mind but not this time, I will resist all urges. Hopefully this will focus me even more for the rest of the year and I can spank the Rathfarnham 5km.
    And as always I've really appreciated the advice, ecoli also.

See you on the DCM start line so. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Kirby/Perky/Woddle motivation station somewhere on race day? :pac:

Kirby/Perky/Woddle motivation station somewhere on race day? :pac:

Top of Milltown, perfect spot to see them struggle up a small hit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Top of Milltown, perfect spot to see them struggle up a small hit.

I'll have to make a big "HTFU" sign :D

I'll have to make a big "HTFU" sign :D

And I'll make one for the smackdowns
    ''He's behind you''

I've only missed one run in the last 3 weeks and legs still feel good so I'm going to keep this everyday lark up.

6.64 hilly miles with flies

Inspired by the tour de France I took to the hills :D
    Legs were so tired for the first couple of miles but they soon came back to life. I was enjoying this run but I was having a battle with a load of flies. They were winning on the uphills and I'd shake them off on the downhills. I nearly took a left to cut my run short because they were annoying me so much but I was coming to a mainly downhill finish so I kept at it and they soon fecked off.

Garmin acted up again but thanks to garmin connect it appears to be 9 minute miles. My heart rate monitor also seems to have packed up. Getting really plssed off with the watch, it's been acting up on and off now for the last couple of months. Might be time to go back to the 305

Ah well I will be dressed to run if I am going to be there... will run with each boardsie for a while :P.....

Also a good friend of mine is running so want to repay the favour they did to me when they ran with me for a half a mile to keep me going....

Thats if I am here.... Might be in the UK on the 31/10....

• Advertisement

5 recovery miles this morning.

Plan for the rest of week is

Tue - track
    Wed - 5 mile recovery
    Thu - 10 mile easy
    Fri - 3 mile easy
    Sat - 7 miles inc 5 mile race
    Sun - 5 miles easy

Advertisement