Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

well agreat day out, I went through the halfway mark in 1:47 and felt strong but by mile 18 I was begining to struggle and did my first 9 min mile, my calf really started to hurt at this point and kept hurting till the finish, at mile 20 I had to stop for the first time and try and stretch it out, posted a 12:20 mile at this mark,I stopped again for the same reason at 22 and 23 but then dug down deep and didn't stop again :D

Finish time 3 hours 55 mins 44 secs, I'm well chuffed and have learnt alot for the next one, didn't wear my ipod and was so bored.

And on a down note, the only one, the medals, why they don't have the year on it is beyond me.
    But well done to Longford and all the locals at there water stations

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

well done woddle great stuff
    roll on berlin/dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Fantastic - well under the 4. Considering the stops that's great. As I was running past the 11 mile mark of the half, around mile 24 of the full, I was thinking that would be a lonely marathon, no one around at that stage where you really need people, so well done.

Didn't notice the lack of a year on the medals - money saving option I suppose, which is probably fair enough.

Take it handy now for a little while. Temptation might be to go back running hard very soon, but fellows often pay for this 5 or 6 weeks down the line. Take it handy enough now and you'll be flying in 5 or 6 weeks.

Well done again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Nice one congrats Woddle. I was thinking of you all as I was out myself today. Pity about the difficulties you had with your calf, but its all part of the experience, dealing with and getting to the end. Which is exactly what you done.

I just checked my medal from 2006 and it had the year on it, so it must be new thing. They can use the same medals for a few years if they ordered a bulk of them I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Well done Woddle, nice to see you were able to dig down deep and get in uder the 4 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Fair play to you Woddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

well done. Hope the calf is feeling better now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

well done Woddle, good work

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

Only catching up now... Great run Woddle. Hope the calf is holding up? I can feel your pain! My calf is my achilles!!

Thanks everybody much appreciated :D
    I have been a little tender, I've been having baths and using my foam roller and felt able enough to go indoor football last night, all went well, no problem at all with my calf, so phew but can't believe how badly it hampered me and now its fine, bizarre.
    Today easy 3.16 miles in 27:43, pace 8:46.
    Still a bit of loosening up to do, and on a low note regarding the marathon, I put on 4lbs, enjoyed my food a bit too much after so time to focus again on eating properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

dont worry about the 4lbs your only replenishing what you lost on sunday.
    and with 2 more marathons on the horizon i have a funny feeling you'll lose it quite easily:D

Decided to go to Marlay park for todays run, get away from traffic, Very warm.
    Does anyone else do this: I was running past the toilets in marlay park when a woman runner came out of the toilets and began to run just in front of me, for a minute we where running the exact same pace, and well I didn't want to freak her out and have her thinking Im a stalker so I speeded up to go past and was wrecked for doing so.
    Anyway 3.25 miles 28:38, pace 8:48

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

Woddle wrote: »
    Decided to go to Marlay park for todays run, get away from traffic, Very warm.
    Does anyone else do this: I was running past the toilets in marlay park when a woman runner came out of the toilets and began to run just in front of me, for a minute we where running the exact same pace, and well I didn't want to freak her out and have her thinking Im a stalker so I speeded up to go past and was wrecked for doing so.
    Anyway 3.25 miles 28:38, pace 8:48

You should have tripped her up as she came out of the toilets, then the whole stalker thing is moot:pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Woddle wrote: »
    I was running past the toilets in marlay park

Posh southsiders, proper toilets on the run...You don't get that north of the Liffey:p.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Same thing happened to me yesterday as I did a few slow laps of my local park - woman started her run 10m in front of me as I was on my last lap and took up the same pace. I was wroking hard to keep an even Heart Rate so I did not want to speed up to pass her out.

I worried about the etiquette of running (& stalking) for a while then decided that if she did not want me to follow her she should have looked around before she started her lap or she could have slowed down.

Eventually after about 5 mins of my heavy breathing, she looked around and asked "are you going to pass me or what". As she did, she slowed down and I continued without missing a beat.

I know I probably had p1ssed her off but don't run in front of someone if you don't want to be followed!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I've been followed on runs a couple of times but not by other runners, more by creepy old men in cars type thing. Taking a mobile phone out and making a call is usually enough to send them on their way. If other runners fall into step with me, I usually fall back and let them overtake me. It's not like 5foor4 of me could intimidate anyone!

No stalking issues today as I was back out on the road, today is meant to be a day off followed with a 5 and 8 for the weekend but I'm going out for a few beers in the local tonight, my treat to me for the marathon, so anyway
    today 5.05 miles in 42:34, pace 8:25

Rest day yesterday after my treat of a few pints, back off the beer now till Sunday 28 th September.
    8.34 miles in 1 hour 10, pace 8:25 a mile.
    Very happy with my legs, how there feeling after last Sunday and how they've coped with running and football this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Sweater

Congrats Woddle,

Excellent achievement.

Cheers sweater, hope you had a nice holiday.
    Kids back to school today, the eldest is in at 10 for the week and the younger one finishes at 11:30 so gives me about an hours exercise, the rest going on a shower and stuff.
    So today 4 miles in 30:56, pace 7:44 per mile

• Advertisement

This morning 5 miles in 39:37, pace 7:55 a mile which included 4x600m, the first 2 were done in 2:21 and the last 2 in 2:33,

Went indoor football last night after 5 miles earlier in the day, so I was a bit tired today and planned a day off but thought it would be wiser to go tonight and toorrow and take Friday off, as I plan to do a 10K race on Saturday.
    7.61 miles in 66:41, pace 8:45 a mile

5 miles in 41:52, Pace 8:22 a mile

Decided not to race today, I have a bit of a cold and didn't want to risk it, as it was raining just before the race, I waited till 9:30 just to see if it would pick up, as the race is only up the road from me, it did pick up at 10 but my mind was made up by then, training for Berlin is no.1 priority.
    5 miles on the treadmill in 41 mins (1% incline I heard this helps balance out road conditions) while watching first half of the match :D

Hi Woddle just checknig are you running the Adidas Half Marathon on the 20th or is it too close to Berlin?

Hi Ike, I've entered already before I organised Berlin, so not sure, if I do it, I won't be racing it. I do like the t-shirts and after getting the first 2 it might just sway me:D. Are you doing it yourself?
    I had a 15 miler planned, with the last 5 at a faster pace, at mile 12.5 my right calf ceased up again, dejavu, no problems walking on it or anything and I have no doubt it will be fine tomorrow, I have been a bit lazy with the foam roller this week as I dont have alot of time to run in between droping and collecting kids.
    Today 13 miles in 1:53:55, pace 8:45

Yeah I'm heading up, might as well get used to running with a big crowd again. Hoping for a 1:45:00 on the day. If you're goin got be there let me know and we can hook up for a quick hello.

will do Ike, that time gives you 8 min pace, from what you have been doing I'd put money on it you'll go quicker, best of luck
    This morning 4.34 miles in 36:39, pace 8:26
    but hte damn calf slash knee went again at the 3 mile mark, so am now waiting on sundrive physiotherapy to ring me back, with Berlin so close I don't feel like I have time to wait and see if it sorts itself out, and yet again I can walk around with no problems :mad:

Appointment with physio tomorrow, decided to go ahead with my intervals but did it on the treadmill, which was very handy for pacing for which I'm crap at.
    1.25 miles warm up
    5x0.75 or 120?m in 5:08
    1.25 miles cool down
    THis was a tough session but really enjoyed pushing past the pain of the last
    Indoor football tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Slightly off-topic Woddle but here goes

What treadmill are using at home? Did you splash out and get an expensive one or is it a basic one. Just heard a few people going on about reliability etc.

Reason I ask is I am thinking about getting one for my house and you seem to get great use from yours in your training.

Advertisement