Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Perkina3 wrote: »
    will run with each boardsie for a while :P.....

I'll let you run with me on my warm down if you want :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Thanks to James Taylor my running now reads 22/24.
    I had planned to hit the track yesterday when my wife got in from work but I soon got a call from my parents asking could I come over earlier to babysit (4:30 pm). They didn't get home till midnight, run missed.

I had to fit a session in today or it would be getting too late in the week with a race on Saturday. I don't know where the idea came from but I decided at lunch time to do the Bhaa 5km out in Irishtown and that would count nicely as a session.

On the warm up my legs were feeling tired and heavy and they remained that way throughout the race but I still had a decent go.
    The course was lovely and flat but the negative was congestion and too many turns. I couldn't get any rhythm going but was delighted to out kick a few towards the finish. Looking at the stats and my average HR is 178 compared with 183 (I think) in Donore and I guess that's about right as I knew I could have pushed harder but it was my legs that wouldn't let me, maybe a bit of the tri is still in them, I'm not sure but anyhow tonights race means I'm hopefully on track for a 35:xx on Saturday.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/98942857

Distance |PB |Goal time | 2011 Best |Previous race
    800m | 2:31| 2:29 | 2:42 | 2:47
    1500m | 5:14| 4:59 ||
    5k | 19:25| 19:59 | 21:38 |23:07
    5miles | 33:07 | 33:59 | 38:30 |
    10k | 44:10| 42:00 | 46:16 |
    10miles | 69:18 | 69:59 ||
    Half Marathon | 1:44:?? | 1:35 | 1:52:50 |
    Marathon | 3:37:45 | 3:29:59| |

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Nice even splits well done. I'm not a fan of that course. Well organised race but too many sharp bends for my liking.

I'm not a fan of that course. Well organised race but too many sharp bends for my liking.

Thanks RR, I agree completely with you. One benefit however was getting to see how fast the guys in front go as I got lapped by Paul Flemming and Paul Duffy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Damn you, ya just keep that bit too far ahead of me!!
    22:25 in Kinnegad vs your 21:38 tonight...

I think I'll be safe enough from your drag coefficient affecting me on Saturday!

Good time and nice pacing.

• Advertisement

belcarra wrote: »
    22:25 in Kinnegad .

Nice one yourself, had a feeling you'd go well tonight having had a bit of consistency, well done.

9.2 miles of recovery this morning

I probably should have kept this to about 7 but I was feeling good but soon after I decided to extend it my legs became tired and I was happy to be finished, really nice run though.

Finally over 500 for the year.

23/25

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Are you racing on Saturday?

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Are you racing on Saturday?

Sure am and really looking forward to it. I reckon you must be shooting for a PB?

Woddle wrote: »
    Sure am and really looking forward to it. I reckon you must be shooting for a PB?

I've never run a 5 mile race before so a pb is guaranteed! ;)

What are you chasing?

• Advertisement

Mr Slow wrote: »

What are you chasing?

35:xx and I reckon the course will play it's part, I think it's quicker than people think.

35:xx and I reckon the course will play it's part, I think it's quicker than people think.

The first 5k is lightning, the rise towards the s bends isn't that bad it just depends how tired you are, the first s bend will bite but the 2nd is fine, slight drag to the top of military hill and then down hill to the end of the Kyber, I reckon the Kyber will kill people at that stage in the race!

It's either going to be faster than we think or we'll earn those pb's ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

The rise to the s-bends, at race pace, is no fun.

The rise to the s-bends, at race pace, is no fun.

Hills are your friend :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Nice running there lots of time to get in shape and set a new pb in September. Good to see things going well again. Stick with it.

shels4ever wrote: »
    Nice running there lots of time to get in shape and set a new pb in September. Good to see things going well again. Stick with it.

Just following your example :)

Decided to catch up on some much needed sleep this morning in preperation for tomorrows race. So got out this afternoon instead for a tad over 5 miles with 5x100 meter strides.

5miles | 33:07 | 33:59 | 38:30 |
    10miles | 69:29 | 69:59 ||

Just looking at the Bhaa website and I had to add 11 seconds to what I thought was my PB but how cool is it that they still have the result.
    http://bhaa.ie/members/app/event/list/year/2002

I was really looking forward to this and I felt getting under 36 was a realistic target.

First mile was a bit of a disaster, I started too far back in wave 1 and the congestion didn't subside till about the mile marker (maybe more) 7:25

Second mile was a bit of a mind game, due to the slow start and the legs feeling a little heavy, I was contemplating using the rest of the run as a tempo but then I saw Belcarra about half a mile later and I chose to make it a race :D7:10

Mile 3 involved a bit of back and forth with belcarra but I decided on the downhill to go by him and try open a bit of a gap so as to discourage him from following. 6:55

Mile 4 saw Belcarra go by me again, he seemed very strong on the hills and used the s bends to open a gap of about 40 meters on me, but I kept him in sight 7:39

Mile 5 and coming down Military road I was back on his heels but again he was stronger on the climb and going up the Kyber he started to pull away again. I tried to keep him in reach and with 400 meters to go I went for it and just managed to pip him 7:43

Finish time 37:03
    Garmin link including warm up forgot to reset.

So trying for a time didn't work for me today but it was good to practice some racing skills and the race has given me some feedback on a weakness. It told me I'm crap at hills despite running hilly routes, so time for a bit of hill repeats.
    Overall happy enough and a bit of easy running to let the legs freshen up, 3 races since last Saturday has left them feeling very tired.
    Good week.

5miles | 33:07 | 33:59 | 37:03 | 38:30
    10miles | 69:29 | 69:59 ||

25/27

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Yep first mile was a bitch, found it hard to get clear runing for the first 800m myself.

• Advertisement

No need to trash the legs today so I asked Emily if she fancied cycling along with me, she jumped at the chance. So about 45 minutes worth of recovery running and great company. I gave her the option to prolong the run/cycle but she declined due to a sore butt (need to find her some kids cycling shorts :D )

The last 4 weeks have been good, running 26 of the 28 days. The mileage has been kept to late 30s while the body adapted to getting out most days but starting next week it's time to hit 45+ and to join in in more club sessions. Looking forward to it.

No running yesterday, I was a little annoyed at first but then enjoyed the day off, from about 7pm :rolleyes: when I realised I definitely wasn't getting out.

I think the recovery Sunday and no running yesterday worked in my favour as my legs were so fresh.
    I knew it from this morning when I first went up my stairs. Over the last few weeks I've noticed stair climbing is a good indicator for how fresh your legs are :D

As I said over the weekend hills is my weakness and I started to tackle that today. 7 x 115m (average) fast up Stocking Lane with about double the distance as recovery. Tough but doable. I then had a bit of recovery before tackling 1 mile fast on a downhill (not steep) 6'19.
    Really enjoyed the session and am heading out soon for a few unplanned pints.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/100314204

27/30

Really enjoyed the session and am heading out soon for a few unplanned pints.

I woke up this morning needing alot of solpadine, I can't remember the last time I had a hangover like this. In the first pub they only had mixed berry in Kopparberg, big mistake and thankfully in the second pub they had no Kopparberg at all so I tried a strawberry and lime cider, Rekorderlig, it was lovely and mistake number 2 was drinking too much of it.

Couldn't physically get out for a run till about 6:30 pm and it turned out to be a lovely run bar the bloating.

It may sound odd but in todays run I could actually feel that I've moved up a notch on the fitness ladder, so what I've been doing I'm going to keep doing.

5.5 miles

I've been very busy this week but that ends tomorrow, so I've been finding it hard to get out.
    I was going to repeat Tuesdays session but I thought it might be too late in the evening for those roads (poor lighting) so I changed it slightly.

Put on my new racers to check them out and off I went.

3 x 115m hill sprints up stocking lane with about double the distance for recovery. That went pretty well and I enjoyed them.
    The next part of the plan was to run the downhills fastish (not flat out) and when not on the downhill the plan was to maintain a steady pace. This bit was hard and I started off at about 8:15 pace but as I went on that came down to 7:30ish.
    This has been my best session to date and the overall average pace is just shy of last Saturdays 5 mile race. I'm starting to enjoy the working hard part of training again were before I was dreading it (even getting butterflies beforehand :D )
    The racers are deadly, very happy with my purchase.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/100775150

29/32

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Another one with bright orange racers? That's going to get a bit boring :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I

Put on my new racers to check them out and off I went.

Nice. Just to be different I got these ones.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Nice. Just to be different I got these ones.

I hope you didn't pay that price. if that's the eco shoe I'm fairly sure amazon were selling them for about €40ish, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I hope you didn't pay that price. if that's the eco shoe I'm fairly sure amazon were selling them for about €40ish, I think.

Yeah, thats where i got them. £37 sterling I think and free delivery. Just realised they are only 6.9oz, jeez I think they are even lighter than the lunar racers. Felt fine today on a recovery run though...

6.4 miles worth of recovery this evening, although my heart rate was a little higher than it should have been. I didn't know this till I got home as I have that screen turned off but it certainly didn't feel high.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/100940163

• Advertisement

Nice early run with theboyblonder and a friend. Just over 8 miles in total.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/101051093

Again heart rate was probably a little higher than I'd like and I definitely climbed the hill a little quicker than I should have which kind of wrecked me for the last few miles. I also didn't fuel too well for this, add a few glasses of wine to the equation and I'm probably lucky to have even finished the 8.

31/34

Advertisement