Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

My legs died a death towards the end of Saturdays run so I took yesterday off. Todays run was to be easy and it was and the legs felt great, so much so that I had it in my head to thump the last half mile out of it but I didn't, thoughts of Wednesdays mile race entered my head and I want to make it a good one. Just over 5 today with a welcomed low heart rate.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/101675028

32/36

Conditions were perfect for this but while doing a very short warm up I felt sluggish or was I making excuses already :D

I really wanted to go under 6 but I also felt 5:52 (bet time with Brianderunner) or better was possible. So I decided to head out at 87/88 seconnd laps and bingo 87 after the first, had to run wide and overtake alot on the second and hit 90 for lap 2, the pain I was expecting in lap 3 never came and despite trying to push on it was another 90 seconds. With 300m to go I stepped it up but was lacking my usual fast finish, 87 for the last giving a total of 5:55. So I lose the bet :D
    Happy enough but there was no wretching on the finish line and I can't help thinking I could have pushed harder.
    Rathfarnham 5km training starts next week and sub 20 here we come.

4.5 miles this morning nice and easy.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/102201322

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Woddle wrote: »
    Conditions were perfect for this but while doing a very short warm up I felt sluggish or was I making excuses already :D

I really wanted to go under 6 but I also felt 5:52 (bet time with Brianderunner) or better was possible. So I decided to head out at 87/88 seconnd laps and bingo 87 after the first, had to run wide and overtake alot on the second and hit 90 for lap 2, the pain I was expecting in lap 3 never came and despite trying to push on it was another 90 seconds. With 300m to go I stepped it up but was lacking my usual fast finish, 87 for the last giving a total of 5:55. So I lose the bet :D
    Happy enough but there was no wretching on the finish line and I can't help thinking I could have pushed harder.

Well done :) , I though you were going to win that bet, but very close.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Nice one woddle! Never mind the bet - under 6 was the goal and you smashed that. Congrats. Its all heading in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Sub 6 Woddle, not to be sniffed at! Well done!

• Advertisement

I woke at 5:30 this morning feeling pretty fresh, I messed around for an hour before finally getting out the door for 6:30. The plan was for 10 miles at a comfortable pace. This turned out to be 9 minute miles, the average HR was 144 bpm so more good signs.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/102276330

How can it be 10 days since I did this, time is flying.

7x115m hill sprints with 220m jog recovery. Then about a mile recovery across mount venus road before doing a mile fast, 6'19 last time and 6'14 this time.

I really didn't feel up to this this evening but glad I did it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/102201322

Great pacing, 87, 90, 90, 87 - keep up the training and try to keep that shape to your next attempt.

5 miles with Emily (bike) today, 4 of which were very enjoyable. The first not so much as we went up Stocking lane (hill) and I had to push her up it.
    She's getting much better so no reason not to bring her more especially for the recovery runs as we're at the same pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Emily (bike)
    Bringing up a little triathlete? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

5 miles with Emily (bike) today, 4 of which were very enjoyable. The first not so much as we went up Stocking lane (hill) and I had to push her up it.
    She's getting much better so no reason not to bring her more especially for the recovery runs as we're at the same pace.

You run *up* there? :eek:

kingQuez wrote: »
    You run *up* there? :eek:

I try :D
    Great spot for the my hill sprints. Are you a local?

According to JD my recent mile time gives me a Vdot of 49 which gives a tempo pace of 6'55. I was feeling tired this evening but decided to give 2x1 mile a go at T pace and I did just that but it felt tougher than it should have. I'm going to blame the hill sprints and the fact that I pigged out in the cinema while watching Horrid Henry.
    I won't be going to Wexford till next week now cause of the cat so hopefully get another good week in. Next session will be Wednesday, give the legs some time to get fresh again.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/103166472

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

it also didn't help that I had to hold my farts in for the duration due to sitting beside a very attractive lady.
    Woddle: Always a gentleman. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Nice quoting, we would have lost that one forever :D

:D
    Quick fingers.
    I just removed it from the previous post for being too graphic but the stomach cramps it caused were unreal.

You should have let it free, it may have been her thing! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Seen on a headstone

Wherever you be,
    Let your wind go free.
    For holding it in,
    Was the killing of me.

5 mile recovery run up to and around marlay park. Garmin acting up again, it was reading the distance wrong, when I clicked into satellites it showed it was off by 70ft.

I'm getting very excited by the 5k and have drawn myself up a schedule. There's 56 days so the plan is going to be 5 x 10 day cycles and a small taper of a couple of days.

Day 1 - Easy (5/6 miles)
    Day 2 - Easy (5/6 miles)
    Day 3 - Vo2 max, 2-6 minute reps totaling 3/4 miles (7/8 miles)
    Day 4 - Easy (5/6 miles)
    Day 5 - Easy (5/6 miles)
    Day 6 - Tempo, totaling 4 miles (8 miles)
    Day 7 - Easy (5/6 miles)
    Day 8 - Long easy (10/12 miles)
    Day 9 - Easy (5/6 miles)
    Day 10 - Hills, 7x115m + 1 mile fast

Any thoughts on the above would be very welcome, most of the above is based on Pfitzinger/Douglas and I'll use J.Daniels Vdots for pace.

Didn't get out till late and really wasn't in the humour, it was my wife that motivated me, thanks.
    I was only a 1/4 of a mile into my run when I passed my parents house, my mam had suggested bringing my little brother with me (on his bike) on a few runs so I knocked in and got him. So what started as a shltty little run turned out to be a nice bonding session but lets not tell Emily as she may freak out.

5 easy miles.

Also got confirmation of my mile time from last week
    5:54:60 to be exact :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Also got confirmation of my mile time from last week
    5:54:60 to be exact :D

How did you go about getting an exact time? Mine was up on the BHAA site anyways, same as the garmin 5'43.

menoscemo wrote: »
    How did you go about getting an exact time? Mine was up on the BHAA site anyways, same as the garmin 5'43.

I was posting a query on the main bhaa forum and PVincent replied with my time.
    Looking forward to tomorrow, legs feeling fresh again.

I met up with meno for a VO2 max session on the track and man was I glad for the company, turns out I wasn't as fresh as I thought and needed help in finishing the reps.

Nearly 2.5 miles of a warm up and then straight into the business side of things.

5x1km (goal 5k pace), splits - 3:58, 4:01, 4:01, 4:00, 3:59
    AHR 175, max 186 which is perfect.
    I probably had too much of a recovery in between (about 5 mins) but it was needed, session felt tougher than it should have.

Finished the session with
    4x200m (1 mile pace), splits - 42, 41, 41, 41
    with a 200m walk as recovery, this was handy, AHR 155
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/103811955

1 mile and a bit of a cool down to make 8.25 miles of running.

5x1km (goal 5k pace)

Does it translate that if you can do this relatively comfortably, you can put them all together in a race?

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Does it translate that if you can do this relatively comfortably, you can put them all together in a race?

I'd say closer to 3:50/3:55.
    Before my PB(19:25) in 09 I did this session once a week and it was 3:50 a km with 2 minute jog recovery. So still a bit of work to do.

I did todays session on the 28th of June, same splits for a lower HR and only 2:30 recovery so sth was a little off today. Could be Sundays fast miles still in the legs.

I'd say closer to 3:50/3:55.
    Before my PB(19:25) in 09 I did this session once a week and it was 3:50 a km with 2 minute jog recovery. So still a bit of work to do.

I did todays session on the 28th of June, same splits for a lower HR and only 2:30 recovery so sth was a little off today. Could be Sundays fast miles still in the legs.

I've a 5k coming up, sub 20's the goal, just looking for an indicator if that makes sense?

Mr Slow wrote: »
    I've a 5k coming up, sub 20's the goal, just looking for an indicator if that makes sense?

When is it?

I reckon if 10 days out you can do 5x1km in 3:50/3:55 with 2 min jog/walk in between you will 100% go sub 20. I used to end this session with dry retching.
    I said sth a few monthe back on neraw111 log as he was doing very similar session and he/she hammered sub 20.

I was half thinking of giving sub 21 a go this weekend in Kildare but I'll have to test the waters with the family first.

Just looking back over my 09 log and the 5km PB came towards the end of marathon training with the last 2 months being 184 miles and 196 so I'd reckon with all your miles this year it can only help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭Patrick_K

Your thread reminded me of this thread from when I started running and reading around these parts - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055722011

I did the workout 'gmurran' described in it a couple of times during my training cycle, worked for me so might be worth a look ...

• Advertisement

Patrick_K wrote: »
    Your thread reminded me of this thread from when I started running and reading around these parts - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055722011

I did the workout 'gmurran' described in it a couple of times during my training cycle, worked for me so might be worth a look ...

It's looks like a good one (Gmurran very good runner so should know) and not too far away from my own indicator session.
    Here's an easier way for calculating splits though :D
    http://www.uscaa.org/bahclubs/track/splitsCalc.html?w=0&d=1&du=km&hh=0&mm=3&ss=50&p=&pu=min/mi&s=600&su=me

Advertisement