Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Mr Slow wrote: »
    I've a 5k coming up, sub 20's the goal, just looking for an indicator if that makes sense?

Instead of 5x1k, you could do 3x1mile, also at 5k pace with 3/4 minutes recovery. Same difference really, you will feel like **** in the second half of the second mile, or in the 3rd and 4th kms, but if you can hold the pace in training you should be fine on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Woddle wrote: »
    When is it?

I reckon if 10 days out you can do 5x1km in 3:50/3:55 with 2 min jog/walk in between you will 100% go sub 20. I used to end this session with dry retching.

About 11 days time, but I'm shagged today so my answer will have to be on Sunday week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭Patrick_K

It's looks like a good one (Gmurran very good runner so should know) and not too far away from my own indicator session.
    Here's an easier way for calculating splits though :D
    http://www.uscaa.org/bahclubs/track/splitsCalc.html?w=0&d=1&du=km&hh=0&mm=3&ss=50&p=&pu=min/mi&s=600&su=me

Saved to favourites, ta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Late afternoon recovery run. I really like this route, starts witha 2 mile climb up Edmondstown road before going along Tibradden road and over to marlay and hermitage park and home again. Beautiful weather for it and even with the heat I was still able to keep the heart rate down.

I'm now over 600 miles for the year, not too bad for someone who missed Jan-Apr. I'm going to set the middle of October as my completion date for the 1000.

41/46 so 5 days missed, when I miss 7 I'll start again.

5 miles up Stocking lane, over Mount venus and down Edmondstown. Quads got a little tired towards the end. AHR was 142bpm/63% of HRR which is nice.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/104246627

Tempo tomorrow.

A bit of reading from a Tergat thread, I told meno I'd mail it to him but maybe others will get sth out of it.
    CV reps (the below is aimed at a fast guy CV reps should be done at a pace you can hold for 35 mins)
    My personal favourite is CV Reps which I picked up from a coach abroad. These are basically intervals at slightly slower than 10km pace. Doing reps at CV pace is an optimal means of elevating one’s lactate threshold or MLSS –max lactate steady state and it also works vo2 max to an extent. To work out your CV Rep pace get your CURRENT 5km pace per km and add 10-12 secs. For you about 4-6km worth of reps would be good. So say you run 20 mins for 5km then its 4 min per km + 10 secs which would be 4.10 per km. Sample workout on the track would be:
    4-6*1000m in 4.10 with 90 secs-2 mins jog rec followed by 3-4*200m @ current 1500m pace with 90 secs-2 mins jog recovery.

re running fast
    The worst thing you can do is run too fast on a regular basis. You burn up your glycogen and thus have no energy to run really fast in a race. If you run too fast on your distance runs between scheduled key workouts, then you won't run your key workouts very well. So, you might as well not run key workouts if you run fast on a daily basis.

Re keeping it easy
    Follow these simple instructions about training and you wont go to far wrong:

1) Run a lot! Volume done just below your personal limit, week after week is gold!

2) Vary your training intensity (some easy paced, some moderate, and some faster). A mix of about 75% easy, 15-20% moderate, and about 5-10% faster is about right for the vast majority of people running 5k races or longer.

3) Run hills/on hills in training 1-2 times per week. Specific leg strength is vital to running success. The stronger your legs are the more training you can do without breaking down. The more training you can do without breaking down the better your race performances will be, on average.

4) Don't overthink. Set up a simple plan, as I have outlined many times, and stick to it. Stop worrying about all the x and y parts of training and just execute a well designed weekly schedule over and over and over.

A weekly that includes 1 CV interval session, 1 tempo over hills or tempo plus hills, and a long run or a 2 runs of about 40-60 minutes with some of it moderate, plus 2 sets strides per week (5-10 x 100m at 5k, gradually increasing the speed as you legs warm up, and never straining), plus plenty of easy distance work is going to place 95% of the runners at 95% of their peak fitness - or better.

5) Race intelligently. That means don't go out too fast! Use self-control and know your current limits. Stay under your limits early in the race and you will run a solid race overall. Patience is a virtue!

6) Take care of the details. Sleep enough, eat wisely, hydrate often, and prevent or take care of injuries before they side-line you. Stay away from people who are sick, and wash your hands with soap and water often.

7) Always remember that you must keep the ball rolling. Momentuum is the backbone of progression!

Tergat

• Advertisement

Plan was to warm up and then 2x15 mins @ tempo pace with 5 min recovery jog in between. JD has my tempo pace at 6:55 but after last Sundays experimenting I decided 7:10 would be better for this evening.

What I did was a 1/4 of a mile warm up before tearing up Stocking lane for a half mile, not sure why I did this but it felt good (at the time).

When I finally got to the tempo work I was already soaked from the lashing rain and had a slight head wind but it felt good. I found the perfect rhythm and refused to look at the garmin so as to avoid its influence.
    Turns out I hit mile 1 in 6:59 and mile 2 in 6:56 and 7:04 pace for the remaining couple of mins.
    During the recovery my quads felt like they were on fire so a longer recovery (just under 8 minutes of jogging) before starting the next 15 mins but sadly after a mile 6:59 I called it a day for the tempo work and just did a cool down.
    Quads are still on fire.
    Although I'm happy at the pace I was hitting I'm not overly happy with the session and calling it quits. I ruined it by doing sth silly at the start, you think I'd know better by now.

8 miles in total
    3.28 at tempo (6:59 pace) 22:52, AHR 175 (84%HRR) - max 181
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/104471350

4 recovery miles this morning. Legs were very heavy but its all good.
    41 miles for the week which is my highest total this year.
    The plan for the next couple of days before starting the cycle again.
    Day 1 - Easy (5/6 miles)
    Day 2 - Easy (5/6 miles)
    Day 3 - Vo2 max, 2-6 minute reps totaling 3/4 miles (7/8 miles)
    Day 4 - Easy (5/6 miles)
    Day 5 - Easy (5/6 miles)
    Day 6 - Tempo, totaling 4 miles (8 miles)
    Day 7 - Easy (5/6 miles)
    Day 8 - Long easy (10/12 miles)
    Day 9 - Easy (5/6 miles)
    Day 10 - Hills, 7x115m + 1 mile fast

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

JD has my tempo pace at 6:55

How does he calculate that, is it not faster than your current 10k pace? I'm working on the 10 mile pace fast end, half marathon pace slow end.

Scratch the above, I was thinking 'Steady State'

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

That's great training chief.... I am jealous at the consistency u are getting... really am... I on the other hand... well just read my log... Ribs now... tis getting ridiculous.... Will tip out after my exams for a run with you....

After 12 days of running, I took Monday off and headed to the beach in Duncannon, water was lovely and warm and we all had a nice splash.

Tuesday was a beautiful day and I headed to Hook lighthouse and back, got badly sun burnt.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/105633677

Wednesday day off, unbelievable winds so gave it a miss.

Thursday, cracker of a day again, this time I remembered the sun cream. After about 1.5 miles though the sweat mixed with sun cream caused me alot of irritation to my eyes.
    I headed out to Carnivan bay (some of you may remember it as the beach I nearly died on last year :D then down to Fethard and home again.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/105634014

Not sure what the next week holds for my running, think I'll be happy enough to get out every second day.

I'm reading Charlie Speddings book at the moment and it's a great read, one thing I'm getting out of it is that I'm not being honest with myself regarding my running. I think I'm doing well but I could be doing so much better. Hopefully after my holiday I can really get the finger out.

• Advertisement

45/7 was the final score, 45 days of running before I missed 7 days, going to hammer that next time :D

I was on holidays this week, suppose to be 2 weeks but a few things have come up, is it a bit weird of me that I'm secretly happy, now normal training can resume :D

5.6 hilly miles at an enjoyable pace although for the first couple of miles it was very obvious I had been on holidays, felt like I was carrying all the weight I have lost over the last 16 weeks.

and I'm delighted to say I'm not injured. The baby woke in the early hours of the morn so I got up to fix her, only thing was I was a little disorientated and for some reason tried to make it to her room with my eyes closed, I lost my balance and before falling to the floor having hurt my ankle I fell backwards into the hotpress door hurting my shoulder (no drink was involved) and head, I still hadn't opened my eyes till my wife started shouting at me, she thought I was having a fit :D

This week I'm making Thursdays run my priority for the week, ecoli has agreed to help me out and pace me. I missed the bhaa 3km track race last week but really wanted to do one.
    So today I wanted to run a little faster and blow away some cobwebs without overdoing it. So the plan was 1,2,3,4,5 minute intervals with the same time for recovery. This went better than expected.

15 mins of faster running
    Average pace - 6'43
    AHR - 177 (lower end of LT)

On the cool down I couldn't get the HR down so when I hit 6 miles I decided to walk the rest of the way home.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/106785406

6 weeks to Rathfarnham and a new PB :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

This week I'm making Thursdays run my priority for the week, ecoli has agreed to help me out and pace me. I missed the bhaa 3km track race last week but really wanted to do one.
    So today I wanted to run a little faster and blow away some cobwebs without overdoing it. So the plan was 1,2,3,4,5 minute intervals with the same time for recovery. This went better than expected.

15 mins of faster running
    Average pace - 6'43
    AHR - 177 (lower end of LT)

On the cool down I couldn't get the HR down so when I hit 6 miles I decided to walk the rest of the way home.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/106785406

6 weeks to Rathfarnham and a new PB :D

What's on on Thursday?

Do you know there is a 2 mile race BHAA race in tallaght in a fortnight. I'll definitely be planning on doing that one

menoscemo wrote: »
    What's on on Thursday?

Do you know there is a 2 mile race BHAA race in tallaght in a fortnight. I'll definitely be planning on doing that one

Yep I'll be doing that also.
    Going to run 3km on the track, hopefully fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I've a track speed session on the cards this week as well, I would have been interested in doing this but with the race on Saturday, Thursday is probably too late in the week. Are you racing on Saturday yourself?

Sent you a PM and yep I'll be there on Saturday and will give it a lash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Under 11:40 the target is it? Dyou wanna go for the double or nothing on hitting that time? Rathfarnam seems so far away, need to get my fix sooner than that :D

Under 11:40 the target is it? Dyou wanna go for the double or nothing on hitting that time? Rathfarnam seems so far away, need to get my fix sooner than that :D

:D
    I'll wait till Rathfarnham, thanks for the kind offer though.

Yesterday my wife was heading to Belfast for the day and was leaving at 7:30am, my plan was to get up at 6am and get a 5 mile recovery in. Alarm went off but I just rolled over and went back asleep, turned out I only got an extra 30 mins as the baby woke and wanted out of her cage cot.

So today instead of 5 I went for a hilly 10 miler
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/107264465
    Very enjoyable but I did run out of steam as I had only eaten a banana all day.

So the hilly 10 may not have been the best preperation in the world for todays 1 mile time trial. On the warm up my legs (knees and quads) felt very tired and achy
    I felt the mile would be more comparative given that I raced one only 3 weeks ago.
    I felt 5:46 might be in reach and hired ecoli for pacing duties. 88 seconds for the first 409m was the plan and then 86s for each lap after.

Off we went, 90 seconds for the first 409m, this was the only split I checked as I have complete trust in ecolis metronome skills.
    On to the second lap and I was breathing very heavy and was already in trouble, ecoli was a couple of strides ahead holding 85/86, turns out I hit 87.
    On the 3rd lap my arms felt funny and they felt like they were full of lactic acid, no idea what was going on but I couldn't pump my arms and it was really messing up my rhythm.
    Ecoli shouted sth back to me but I couldn't here him so I grunted a ''WHAT'' he repeated but I still couldn't hear so I just imagined he was saying sth like HTFU as he was still holding steady but I was falling further behind, 89 for this lap.
    On to the 4th and with 300m to go I heard ecoli say come on or sth like that and I dug in but this digging in was only allowing me to hold the same pace, 88 and 2/100ths of a second slower than aviva :D

5:54:62
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/107450888

Really happy with this, I didn't hit my target but to hit the same time as my race in a time trial has to be a positive and on the cool down I realised I forgot to put my racers on
    I think I'll give this another bash next week, same target but I'll wear my racers and make sure I'm fresh.

A big thanks to ecoli for helping me out, next week same time? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

I think I'll give this another bash next week, same target but I'll wear my racers and make sure I'm fresh.

A big thanks to ecoli for helping me out, next week same time? :D

Would advise against TTing too often and say you would benefit more giving next week a miss and sticking to your 1k session:D

ecoli wrote: »
    Would advise against TTing too often and say you would benefit more giving next week a miss and sticking to your 1k session:D

Forgot today was Thursday, wifes payday yay :D
    Definitely the 1k sessions for next week ;)

I had to get this in early this morning, so 5 miles worth of recovery. My right quad had a few niggles but after 2 miles it went away, it's a sign to get the foam roller out tonight.
    I entered the 10 miler with Dublin marathon in mind but since I knocked the marathon on the head I havn't been getting too excited by it but on my run today I was having a chat with myself :D and I've basically told myself to go out there and enjoy it and try and surprise yourself, can't wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

good luck tomorrow,no talkin while you run,dats worse than wearin an ipod;)

Frank Duffy 10
    I woke up after having a super sleep and mind and body felt 100%. I had no pre race nerves (this was a first). With only a couple of mins to go my mates garmin packed in and he started to freak out. This wasn't a goal race for me so I told him he could have mine. I was going to be running naked and I was actually looking forward to it.
    I started beside Dave Brady and asked him what time he was thinking of and he says 75, grand I'll stay with you, so I thought. I lost him after about 1/2 mile in the congested start.
    I had no idea what pace I was running but on the second mile my breathing and legs were starting to cry for help, so I tried to slow down but with everyone around me running a similar pace, I just found it impossible.
    At mile 3 Gerard65 caught up with me and I thought boIIocks I've gone out way too fast and this was confirmed by Gerard65 who told me we were running 7'09 pace, Raycun soon joined us just before the S bends and that was the last I saw of them. I stuggled up the bends and breathing was becoming more laboured and my legs were like bricks.
    So I told myself to race to the 5 mile mark (hoping there would be a mat, so as to get some kind of a split for the day, can't remember if there was) and then run an easy 5 home and that's just what I did.
    Coming up Chesterfield I really felt like walking over to the finish and calling it a DNF but then I convinced myself to finish and get the tech top for my wife (no way in hell I'll wear that purple :D )

I reckon
    36:30 for the first half and
    46:30 for the second half.

Looking back it was the correct decision, I did a stupid weeks training leaving the legs wrecked.
    The positives are I finished and I had quite a few compliments regarding my weight loss.
    Also the lack of a watch was no fun, there was no clocks around the course so I have no idea of any pacing, the above splits are based on Gerard65s info after 3 miles.
    Race was very well organised.
    My mate ran 67sth and was delighted to have had my garmin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Well done, saw a glimpse of you situated nicely in pen one.

Well done, saw a glimpse of you situated nicely in pen one.

Super time you, probably should have put myself in pen 2
    Thought 73:30 was on the cards :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Frank Duffy 10
    I was going to be running naked and I was actually looking forward to it, and I had quite a few compliments regarding my weight loss.

well don dave ....where u have ur number stuck on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

You finished when you wanted to stop, take that as an improved mental toughness.
    Keep plugging away, you're putting in some good training, but be patient (something of a weakness with you:pac:)

• Advertisement

gerard65 wrote: »
    You finished when you wanted to stop, take that as an improved mental toughness.
    Keep plugging away, you're putting in some good training, but be patient (something of a weakness with you:pac:)

I agree 100% with your assessment :D
    Delighted to see you going so well today.

Advertisement