Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I had planned to run this general aerobic run a little slower but from the off I just felt fresh and good. So I made a new plan, try stick to AHR of 160 with a max of 165, if I saw 165 I was to slow down and get the heart rate back in control.
    My garmin acted up after about half a mile but I had it going again very quickly, I did the usual and pressed the lap button where I know the one mile mark to be, the watch said 7:57 + 5 secs to get the garmin going, 8:02, wow that felt really easy. It rained really heavy for the first couple of miles but I was enjoying it and the first 6 miles flew by. The so called ginger bread man popped up from here on in and I thought I was going to have to cut the run short but he went away as I got to a turn which would either make my run 7.5 or 8.0, I wanted 8.0 so I took the longer turn and as I did he was back, I was running as if I had a poker up my arse. Straight into the toilet when I got in, fceking rasher rolls from last night I bet. Really good run and some encouraging signs, the last 2 miles did start to feel like a bit of a slog but still within my comfort zone.
    8.05 miles at 8:20 pace, AHR 160
    http://connect.garmin.com/player/126159248

I definitely am starting to feel the benefits of these 8+ milers at GA pace and I'm used to them now, they don't bother me. In the past I probably got into a bad habit of just running 5 milers all week with one long run. Now there's 2x8+ and 1 long run and I'm really enjoying it. I no longer feel like I need a down week next week but I'll do as coach says :D

I missed the boat this morning in getting out and then all of a sudden it was 6:30 pm. So got out anyway for 4.5 recovery miles. Legs felt great but alot of chaffing on my testicles and right groin made this run very uncomfortable, turns out my newish shorts have a bit of a rip in them.
    Longone in the morning and then a nice easy week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

I found that too, some small tweeks in your training can really help, turning 6 mile runs into 8's 5's into 6's etc. But you havent been misisng many runs , fingers crossed it keeps out and you run a great half in Berlin.. head to head sometime next summer all going well....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Woddle wrote: »
    Legs felt great but alot of chaffing on my testicles and right groin made this run very uncomfortable, turns out my newish shorts have a bit of a rip in them.

Ah jesus, mental vision. I'm blind, blind I tell you

Dave at what mile marker were you when you took those pictures. Around 17 or so. Just checking some of the results of the lads pictured around me and can only find 1 who managed to go sub 3 :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Dave at what mile marker were you when you took those pictures. Around 17 or so. Just checking some of the results of the lads pictured around me and can only find 1 who managed to go sub 3 :eek:

Well you must have done a sh!t job then :p

Well you must have done a sh!t job then :p

I'd disagree. I did an excellent job, hit all the splits. How did your last 3hr self pacing job go in Berlin ;) oooooh burn

couple of 100m shy of the 25km sign so maybe 15.3ish

Ah jesus, mental vision. I'm blind, blind I tell you

It's fceking raw, I reckon I'll have to carry a tub of vaseline on my run tomorrow :D

It's fceking raw, I reckon I'll have to carry a tub of vaseline on my run tomorrow :D

Hope that doesnt end up on flickr :eek::eek:

• Advertisement

The plan for this morning was 1 hour and 50 mins worth of a long run instead of 13 miles and given how tough I found last weeks that was fine by me.
    I plastered myself in vaseline and wore my tight fitting swimming trunks under my shorts but I still found the chaffing painful and it never really went away.
    I chose a hilly route again but I felt most of the run alot easier, it was only the last 2 miles where I was begining to feel it.

It worked out at 12.1sh miles, approx 9:00 mins pace, AHR approx 160
    The garmin went a total of 4 times all before the 6 mile mark but again I know most of the mile markers. I reckon the garmin acting up is my own fault as I let it charge over night which can't be good.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/126516067

42 miles for the week and 128 miles for the last 3 weeks and most importantly I havn't missed any runs as shels pointed out.
    Looking forward to the down week which I think has a bit of faster stuff thrown in which I can't wait for.

Plan for this week, step back

Mon - Rest
    Tue - 4 miles easy
    Wed - 6 miles - 1m warm up, max 4m at 1min harder than easy , 1m cool down.
    Thu - 4 miles easy
    Fri - 5 miles easy
    Sat - 8/10 miles - 2m warm up, anything from 14 up to 20 x 30s fast off 90s jog recovery, 2m cool down.
    Sun - 4 miles easy

Next race is going to be jingle bells, it'll be interesting to see what time I do given that there will be little or no specific work, which I think suits where I am right now, means there will be no pressure on me.

Plan for this week, step back

Mon - Rest
    Tue - 4 miles easy
    Wed - 6 miles - 1m warm up, max 4m at 1min harder than easy , 1m cool down.
    Thu - 4 miles easy
    Fri - 5 miles easy
    Sat - 8/10 miles - 2m warm up, anything from 14 up to 20 x 30s fast off 90s jog recovery, 2m cool down.
    Sun - 4 miles easy

Next race is going to be jingle bells, it'll be interesting to see what time I do given that there will be little or no specific work, which I think suits where I am right now, means there will be no pressure on me.
    Are you folloing a specific plan at the momnet or bene coached? What type of effort are you doing the 30s at?

shels4ever wrote: »
    Are you folloing a specific plan at the momnet or bene coached? What type of effort are you doing the 30s at?

Following everything coach says, I think I'm finally coachable :D
    First few to be done at 10k pace, then 5k and finish the last couple at 3k.

I did Wednesdays run today cause I just felt really good.

1 mile warm up at 8'50 pace, ahr 146 (stupid garmin acted up again)
    4 miles at 165bpm average which worked out at 7'50 pace
    1 mile cool down at 9'42 pace, ahr 156

More good signs again, normally after running a bit faster I find it hard to get the heart rate back down on the cool down, no such problems this evening. I also felt I could have done a good few more miles at that effort, it felt very comfortable. Lastly it's all about 10/15 beats under my tempo pace so well happy with todays figures.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/127379611

4 recovery miles this morning, I think I was still asleep for this one.
    pace 9:44, AHR 146 (73% of max)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Great consistency Woddle, keep it up. If you do I predict new PBs across the board in 2012.

dna_leri wrote: »
    Great consistency Woddle, keep it up. If you do I predict new PBs across the board in 2012.

I hope so, keeping it up has always been the problem though my wife lets a shout ''that's what she said''

Just over 4 miles of recovery plus 3x30 second strides, rather than look at the watch I've realised that counting 40 strides with my right foot equals 30 secs.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/127800723

Going to bed now (in an attempt to get up early) and I'm fceking starving. I started reducing my portion sizes today but still ate healthy. I also knocked my lucozades on the head and I've had a craving for one all day, apple or cherry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Enjoying the log,have to meet for a run soon !!!

Enjoying the log,have to meet for a run soon !!!

Absolutely and good to see you up with a new log.

I managed to get up early but not early enough so just
    5 recovery miles, pace 9:23, AHR 147 (73% of max)
    I should be finished the 1000 mile challenge by this time next week.

• Advertisement

This weeks only session. The plan was for a 2 mile warm up then 14-20x30 second strides and finishing with a 2 mile cool down
    First few strides to be done at 10k pace then 5k and finish at 3k pace. I've no idea what my 10k/5k/3k pace is, so I decided to turn pace on the garmin to off and run by effort.
    Sounds easy but I made a balls of it, ran them all too fast.
    I managed 18x30secs. I was shagged after the 18th and knocked the rest on the head.

Turns out the first few at so called 10k effort were
    6:31/6:57/6:24/6:18/6:27/6:40/6:20/7:12 (up the bridge by the morgue, **** timing :D

So called 5k efforts
    5:56/5:32/6:05/5:51/5:58/5:55/6:14/5:50

and 3k efforts :D I wish
    5:21/5:14

Total 9:01 at 6:08 pace, AHR 174
    Still very happy with the session the only other negative though was that I couldn't get the heart rate down on the cool down and I opted to walk twice to see if this would help.

8.3 miles at 8:44 pace, AHR 169
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/128070081

Just an easy 3 or 4 miles tomorrow to wrap up another good week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Very Solid session man. Nice re-introduction back into quality work. Keep it up great to see you getting the consistency in

Ended up in town for a few pints last night, I havn't had a drink in about 8 weeks (pure guess) and after 4 I was done I attempted a 5th but sense prevailed. Stumbled in at 3am and was up early for some xc races. Last thing I wanted to do today was go on a run but I forced myself out for an easy 3 and enjoyed it once out.
    3 miles at 8:55 pace, AHR 150 (75% of max)

That's the end of the down week and I feel that it served it's purpose, legs feel nice and fresh.

Week 5 plan
    Mon - 10 miles GA
    tues - 5 miles very easy
    Wed - 10 miles GA
    Thurs - 5 miles very easy
    Fri - 14 mile long run
    Sat - 5m easy on the treadmill or hopefully get a sitter for an hour
    Sun rest.

and just registered for jingle bells.

Whats the goal for Jingle Bells?You got a time in mind or just run controlled as part of your training?

Whats the goal for Jingle Bells?You got a time in mind or just run controlled as part of your training?

No time goal but i'll definitely be running it as hard as I can. It'll give myself and coach a better idea where I'm at. The plan is then to follow the jingle bells with the Tom Brennan on new years day.

10 miles at 8:21 pace, AHR 162 (81% of max)

Garmin went again and I know I pressed the lap time too late but sports track is super and has given me all the info.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/128619711

First 5 miles of this run is easier and I did it in
    41:12, pace 8:15, AHR 160
    Second half has a couple of small hills, just enough to upset your rhythm, I was flying till I hit the first hill.
    42:18, pace 8:28, AHR 165

Good start to the week.

5 mile recovery run at 9:48 pace, AHR 140 (70% of max)
    Don't think I've ever had the heart rate so low.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/128816731

You probably need more of them easy runs during the week.No harm in my opinion.love the morning runs :D

• Advertisement

You probably need more of them easy runs during the week.No harm in my opinion.love the morning runs :D

Definitely no harm in slowing them down to 140 instead of the usual 147. I wouldn't say I love the early runs but it's great having them done and not hanging over you for the day.

Up and out early this morning. A little nippy at first but still no need for any winter gear.

10.12 miles at 8:33 pace, AHR 160 (80% of max)
    First 5 at 8:25 pace, AHR 157
    Second 5 at 8:42 pace, AHR 162

Same route as Monday but in reverse, I think it's harder this way so expected the pace to be slower than mondays run. Garmin went again so the info is from sportstrack again.
    At the 7.5 mile mark I really needed a toilet but held it till I got home (just about) but I definitely upped the pace from this point and even moreso in the last half mile and it was at this point I met TBB who looked like he was just finishing his own run off, possible running partner for the morns :D

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/129007021

Advertisement