Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

You were looking strong alright dave. My legs were getting heavy at the end of a 10 miler without any breakfast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

You were looking strong alright dave. My legs were getting heavy at the end of a 10 miler without any breakfast!

I'm waiting for the little pup to go to bed (about 15 mins) and then I can finally get some brekky, I'm starving. I should probably eat sth straight after but the whole school rush just takes over, up since 5am :eek:

yeah, I get mine ready the night before and throw it into me straight after the run before stretching or anything else. Will PM you about going for some am runs.

1000 mile challenge completed today and it's about time. I only got going at the end of April and have had a lot of slacking off moments so it's taken longer than it should but roll on 2012 and hopefully nail it in the first half of the year.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/129265968
    5 mile recovery run at 9:08 pace, AHR 147 (73%0f max)

Followed by a half mile cool down with Kate who wants to be like her sister :D

5 miles worth of recovery this morning, pace 9:41, AHR 143

Wasn't really in the humour for this but glad it's done.

• Advertisement

12 miles at 8:43 pace, AHR 155 (77% of max)
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/129578773#
    Good hilly route, ran the first 7 miles with meno and the miles flew by. I also felt a bit stronger than normal on the climbs and this was supported by the mile splits.
    After saying goodbye to meno I decided to do my 5 mile recovery lap and try get the heart rate a little lower, it wasn't happening so I just went with the flow, wasn't like it was too high anyway.
    My legs started to feel the last couple of miles and I was happy to be finished.

Another solid week with 47 miles. Hopefully get over the 50 next week.
    Might do 2/3 miles tomorrow but then again I may not :D

Still waiting on my wife to get home from London (fog) so didn't get out today but not too bothered. Lots of housework done instead, I was thinking of playing the 3 mad kids card but thought better of it :D
    Washed all my winter running gear, surely the cold is a coming...

Plan for week 6 is to be much the same as last week
    Mon - 10 mile GA 160
    Tue - 5 mile recovery 145
    Wed - 10 mile GA 165
    Thu - 5 mile recovery 145
    Fri - 6 mile recovery 145
    Sat - 14 mile lsr 155
    Sun - 3 mile recovery? 145

I've a small rewire to do next Sunday so if I don't get the run done won't be the end of the world.

Woddle wrote: »
    10 miles at 8:21 pace, AHR 162 (81% of max)

First 5 miles of this run is easier and I did it in
    41:12, pace 8:15, AHR 160
    Second half has a couple of small hills, just enough to upset your rhythm, I was flying till I hit the first hill.
    42:18, pace 8:28, AHR 165.

Exact same run as last monday morning but with a little less effort

A tad over 10 miles at 8:25 pace, AHR 158 (79% of max heart rate)

First 5 miles
    41:35, pace 8:19, AHR 157, elevation change -71 feet
    Second half
    42:36, pace 8:31, AHR 160, elevation change +55 feet (tad bit is +16)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/130063172

The hill at mile 7 didn't upset my rhythm at all and the heart rate barely rose. I also felt strong over the last couple pf miles compared to last week and I think this is evident in the max heart rate readings, last week 174 compared with this mornings 166. Another good start to the week. This is to be a hard week before stepping back for the jingle bells.

Recovery run this morning
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/130247454
    5.9 miles at 9:06 pace, AHR 146

I'm going to try and bring these up a small bit (10 mins extra) as long as they don't start feeling like a chore as I've always enjoyed my easy 5

I still havn't had a weigh in in a while but I feel slimmer and this was confirmed by the buttoning of an old pair of trousers without forcing it :D

Also I'm going o swap wednesday and thursday around as I have faster company for thursday.

5.5 mile recovery run at 9:35 pace, AHR 146

I went to bed too late last night and had to really force myself to get up and out. I had an awful headache aswell and it was bloody windy out so needless to say I didn't enjoy it much, one positive though, my headaches gone :D

• Advertisement

A good run this morning but it didn't look like it was going to go that way at first.
    I was to meet TBB at 5:40am but we missed each other, he waited outside my house and I waited outside his, running up and down his road :D we must have run by each other just opposite sides of the road and there just happens to be a hedge in the way.
    Anyway missing TBB combined with a hefty wind was making this less than enjoyable but as I turned a corner at 2.5 miles the wind was at my back so I took advantage of this and started to up the effort to 170bpm (which I was allowed to do this week) and hold it for the next 4 miles. I averaged 7:18 for this and the run was becoming more enjoyable. These 4 miles are on a very favourable part of the course and I had the wind at my back so that explains the 7:18s.
    After the 170 effort I just wanted to get the heart rate back to 160 and hold it till the end and I did this well even if it was back into the wind.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/130587885
    Overall figures 10.5 miles at 8:25 pace, AHR 162

6.2ish miles of recovery earlier this evening.
    9:07 pace, AHR 148
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/130840771

Looks like there'll be plenty of wind for tomorrows long run.

The wind turned most of this run into torture. I was getting blown from side to side and I had my lips doing some kind of wind dance, similar to the 100m sprinters.
    My garmin having behaved itself for the last 4/5 runs was again acting up and went twice.
    According to sportstrack
    13.5 miles at 9:03 pace, AHR 159 which is on the high side but I'll blame the wind and only 4 hours of sleep, baby seems to have a bug.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/131071374

Still have a couple of miles to do tomorrow but it's my highest weekly total (52 so far) since the week starting 16th of March 2009 (62) and highest monthly total since February 09.

No chance of getting out Sunday. Two of the kids and my wife were ill.
    This week is a down week and so I decided to do what I did last time and take the Monday off which was 2 days of no running :eek: It came at the right time though as I've had very little sleep and a bit of an upset stomach. Sophie is nearly back to 100% which meant a full nights sleep last night.

Feeling refreshed the plan was for 14x30 secs at 5k pace. I ran my warm up up a hill which meant I'd have a nice decline for the faster stuff :D
    The faster stuff worked out at 2ks worth at 5:56 per mile pace
    Overall 6.3 miles at 8:01 pace AHR 164
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/131704104

Really happy with the run, felt comfortable throughout and could of easily done more reps.

I stepped on the scales today for the first time in a few weeks and was a little nervous, if I hadn't lost weight I was going on a sugar binge. Scales read 166 so that's down 4lbs since last time now just to keep it going.

Can't believe it's taken me 3yrs to start listening to Larry Brent :D

A recovery run today
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/131907402#
    5.5 miles at 9:25 pace, AHR 142

Hope this wind is gone for Saturday.

Month|No. of days Runnning|Miles
    Jan/Feb|6|30
    March|5/31|25
    April|14/30|100
    May|20/31|143
    June|23/30|138
    July|28/31|149
    August|21/31|127
    September|12/30|54
    October|22/31|136
    November|25/30|179
    Total|176|1082ish

Robbed menos table, makes for some sorry reading :D One more challenge to see the year out...200 miles, it's on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Woddle wrote: »
    Robbed menos table, makes for some sorry reading :D One more challenge to see the year out...200 miles, it's on

I robbed it from RQ :p
    Jan-March were useless and what happened september?

menoscemo wrote: »
    I robbed it from RQ :p
    Jan-March were useless and what happened september?

Yeah 55 miles for the first 3 months is pretty crap :D
    Not sure what the root cause was for September, one contributing factor was the poor run in the Frank Duffy 10.

5 miles at recovery effort, pace 8:49, AHR 151
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/132062686

Garmin went again :confused: sportstracks to the rescue once more.

4.3 miles at 8:34 pace, AHR 152
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/132212858

4x30 second strides thrown in and a small race, 3 teenagers kept running by me and then stopping to laugh and shout at me, they did it twice before I opened up at sub 4 min pace, didn't see them again.

I've mixed feelings at the moment. My garmin went after 3k when I was averaging 4:15 a k

1k-4:04
    2k-4:21
    3k-4:20

So I must have averaged 4:12 for the final 2k
    4k-4:12
    5k-4:12

I really thought I was running at around 3:50 pace for the last 2k as it was downhill and I was holding my place.
    So I thought I ran about 20:30 ish and I was quite happy with that but now knowing I ran 21:09 I'm a bit disappointed.

I did a 2.5 mile warm up with drills and strides and felt like superman on the start line. Hooter went and straight away I didn't feel fluent, the pace felt uncomfortable so I slowed it down a little, digger went by me here.
    We turned a corner and were running into the wind, this was the hardest part of the course straight into the wind and the pace really dropped, nothing else really happened.
    When I got to 3k I finally started feeling good and thought I had upped the pace. Before the garmin went I noticed that I couldn't get my heart rate up, it was low 180s. I thought about trying to get the garmin going again but I remember doing similar in Raheny a few years ago and it cost me a sub 33.
    With what I thought was 400m to go I tried to up the pace but couldn't, I had no sprint finish for the first time ever, I think, and two people went by me in the last 100m.

I'm definitely racing the liffey valley 5k on new years day and I'll still be targeting sub 20. I know todays time suggests that I'm not there but I feel today was a blip. I've been concentrating on slower work and havn't done much 5k specific running (which I'm happy to do :D ) but maybe the legs needed todays run to wake up some muscle memory, clutching at straws...:D

2 mile cool down.

Total 7.6

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

That wind at 2&3k was tough, my legs were gone by the end and I felt like puking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Solid running. Given your training over recent times expecting to be sharp for 5k at the moment is always gonna be tough. I have been in the same boat all Winter. You are definitely in better shape than you have been in a long while and todays race will stand to you big time but the main thing is keep the eyes on the prize

Keep it up

ecoli wrote: »
    Solid running. Given your training over recent times expecting to be sharp for 5k at the moment is always gonna be tough. I have been in the same boat all Winter. You are definitely in better shape than you have been in a long while and todays race will stand to you big time but the main thing is keep the eyes on the prize

Keep it up

Thanks ecoli, larry brent sent me a mail yesterday with a similar sentiment, I think he was preparing me for an average run :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Good running woddle. Race probably came a bit early for you. Speed will come, when you do the speed-work.

dna_leri wrote: »
    Good running woddle. Race probably came a bit early for you. Speed will come, when you do the speed-work.

+1 each race will bring you on a bit too. Keep it up!

Cheers lads, feeling better about it today anyway. Chatting with coach and he reckons I'll see a good performance come Raheny 5, still doing the 5k on new years day though.

A little under 3.5 miles at 8:41 pace, AHR 149
    Just a small run up to my mother in laws to collect the car.

Enjoyed my down week but now I'm looking forward to making 50 mile weeks the norm.

Week 8
    Mon - 6 miles easy
    Tues - 7 miles easy with strides
    Wed - 10 miles
    Thu- 6 miles easy
    Fri - 7 miles easy with strides
    Sat - 14 mile lsr
    Sun - rest or 4 miles easy.

6.2 miles at 8:49 pace, AHR 150 (approx)

My garmin has been causing me alot of hassle the last year. Today I decided to turn off autolap as most of the time when it beeps at a mile marker it suddenly resets itself and returns to time and date. So hopefully this would sort the problem. 2 seconds before I was to end my run it resets itself but not only that I then try to upload the activity and nothing happens, I go into watch history, nothing there, stupid garmin.

I ran a course I havn't ran in a long time as I wanted to compare todays effort to an effort back in 2009.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Sounds like you need to ditch that Garmin, if it's out of warranty you can get a cheap replacement if you contact the garmin people.

Good to see you back at it after your disapointment of the race. You shouldn't really be disapointed though, it's much better than your time in the summer and you have really only had two solid months of training since then. You'll get back to your full fitness but its going to take months and months of consistent training. Rome wasn't built in a day!

Cheers meno and I know you're right.

Busy day ahead for me so had to get this one done early. Up at 5:20am and boy was it cold, weather station told me it was 2.3 cel.

7 miles of recovery at 8:57 pace, AHR 149
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/132975568

No problems with the garmin this morning, I performed a hard reset, drained the battery and charged it via a different source. Fingers crossed.

• Advertisement

10.2 miles around TBBs loop.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/133215717

Plan was to keep the heart rate at 160 bpm, which I did. Then I was hoping to see 9 laps worth of an even pace (each lap 1.08/9 miles long).
    First one was 7:53 pace nice one. Now just to repeat that on the next loop, 8:13 pace, OK I thought that's more in line with what I was expecting, now lets repeat that, 8:25 pace, ah for fcek sake, and this is how the rest of the run went

7:53p
    8:13p
    8:25p
    8:37p
    8:45p
    8:48p
    8:48p
    8:59p
    9:01p

So what do I conclude, the race is still in the legs, forever the optimist :D otherwise I'm not as fit as I thought, which can't be true. I look forward to doing this again in a couple of weeks when I'll expect to see a steady pace.

Woke up with a niggle in my right knee, didn't cause me any hassle on my run but now the niggle that was a 1 according to my scale is now a 2, still not too serious.

On a good note, I'm down to 165lbs so I probably need to go put the right figure in the weight loss table or just cheat :D

One last thing. I've gone and signed up for this, this will be my last prep race before the Berlin half.

Advertisement