Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

6.2 miles at 8:44 pace, AHR 153 which is a few beats too high, I wasn't paying enough attention. I'll get it back under control tomorrow.
    Knee is 100% again.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/133403010
    Around Tallaght while Emily was training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Woddle wrote: »
    6.2 miles at 8:44 pace, AHR 153 which is a few beats too high, I wasn't paying enough attention. I'll get it back under control tomorrow.
    Knee is 100% again.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/133403010
    Around Tallaght while Emily was training.

Did you manage to get in laps of the track? I thought it was closed for a few weeks at least.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Did you manage to get in laps of the track? I thought it was closed for a few weeks at least.

Yeah, did 3 at the end with Tony but I wouldn't recommend it for speed sessions.

7 miles at 8:56 pace, AHR 152 followed by a few strides
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/133523316

Absolutely perfect is how I'd have to describe tonights run. The sun setting beyond Edmonstown golf course creating a pink glow, then into marlay park to be tracked by a perfect full moon, nobody about, what more could you ask for? Really enjoyed myself and the thought of a few more miles crossed my mind to make it my weeks lsr but my wife would have killed me, there's a load of kids on the way for a sleep over.

Going to hit the hills tomorrow morning for 14 or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

there's a load of kids on the way for a sleep over.
    Enjoy :D

• Advertisement

13.5 miles at 9:04 pace, AHR 151

Nice early start with a friend who's trying to get back into it. I probably should have picked a more suitable route for him but he coped well. I did the first 7.5 with him and then did another 6 on my own. I got very hungry towards the end but overall I really enjoyed it.

My garmin went a total of 3 times but according to sportstrack I only lost 200m
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/133620172

Another good week and another 50 miler, hopefully an easy 3 tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

hahaha lad trying to get back in and you take him up those hills. With friends like you......;)

Good run though, decent clip too considering the elevation changes. Im a convert to the early long ones, hopefully get the benefit from a longer run as you run low on sugar.

hahaha lad trying to get back in and you take him up those hills. With friends like you......;)

My tough love worked, he rang me today to see if he can join me tomorrow morning for an easy 5/6.

I nearly didn't get out for todays run. A few things conspired against me. Too many glasses of wine last night and a belly full of sweets today, I just couldn't stop eating crap. Mince pies anonymous here I come.

Anyway 3 mile recovery run at 9:07 pace, AHR 148
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/133973925

Plan for the week
    Mon - 5 mile recovery
    Tue - 10 miles GA
    Wed - 7 mile recovery
    Thu - 10 miles GA
    Fri - 5/6 mile recovery
    Sat - 14 mile Lsr, 3m at GA
    Sun - rest or 3 mile recovery

5.4 mile recovery at 8:48 pace, AHR 149

After 8 weeks of a running high, I had a low this evening which I hav'nt had in a long time :D
    At the kids training tonight they were doing 50m/80m and 100m sprints and when doing the 100s one of the kids asked can he race me, I thought sure why not, then another of the kids jumps into the race, I know this kid is faster than the other but I still thought I had the beating of him...how wrong I was. He had a great start but I was closing and was hoping he'd tire, he didn't and I had a walk of shame back to the start line where I could see all the senior sprinters having a bit of a chuckle (maybe I was eing paranoid :D When the young lad came back to the start line I asked him what age group he's in....U13

Hopefully this guy is the next Hesh or sth

Busy day so have changed a few days around.
    5 miles at 8:00 pace, AHR 160

I did this straight after the juveniles training and I so wasn't in the humour but a pep talk from Emily did the trick, it went sth like ''do you want to be a loser all your life'' :D and once out in it, it wasn't so bad. Paths are slippy though so take care.

And to finish on a high I'm on a 15 day streak which I don't think I've done.

• Advertisement

After 8 weeks of a running high, I had a low this evening which I hav'nt had in a long time :D
    At the kids training tonight they were doing 50m/80m and 100m sprints and when doing the 100s one of the kids asked can he race me, I thought sure why not, then another of the kids jumps into the race, I know this kid is faster than the other but I still thought I had the beating of him...how wrong I was. He had a great start but I was closing and was hoping he'd tire, he didn't and I had a walk of shame back to the start line where I could see all the senior sprinters having a bit of a chuckle (maybe I was eing paranoid :D When the young lad came back to the start line I asked him what age group he's in....U13

Hopefully this guy is the next Hesh or sth

Busy day so have changed a few days around.
    5 miles at 8:00 pace, AHR 160

I did this straight after the juveniles training and I so wasn't in the humour but a pep talk from Emily did the trick, it went sth like ''do you want to be a loser all your life'' :D and once out in it, it wasn't so bad. Paths are slippy though so take care.

And to finish on a high I'm on a 15 day streak which I don't think I've done.

why you didnt trip the kid up is beyond me :)

I missed my first scheduled run in 9 weeks yesterday and it was because of lazyness. I was so annoyed at myself that I decided a punishment was necessary...two runs today :D
    I was meeting Peter at 6am so I used this as a recovery run and kept the heart rate well down and it was enjoyable.

5.3 miles at 8:57 pace, AHR 145

I was unsure how many miles I was going to do this evening, I was thinking 7 and if the legs felt good I'd do the 10, I was targeting GA pace or 160 bpm.
    Things couldn't have gone any better and even more signs of improvement.

A tad over 10 miles at 8:25 pace, AHR 158 (79% of max heart rate)

First 5 miles
    41:35, pace 8:19, AHR 157,
    Second half
    42:36, pace 8:31, AHR 160,

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/130063172

A tad over 10 miles at 8:17 pace, AHR 160 (80% of max heart rate)

First 5 miles
    40:40, pace 8:08, AHR 159, elevation change -26 feet
    Second half
    42:08, pace 8:26, AHR 161, elevation change +26 feet

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/134677229

I'm really happy with the numbers, everything seems to be going to plan and that 160 is about 10 beats under my marathon average.

Now to get back on track means
    Fri - 5 mile recovery
    Sat - 7 miles easy
    Sun - 14 mile Lsr with last 3 at GA

I havn't been getting out as much as I'd like, here's a bit of catch up

Sat
    5 miles at 9:00, AHR 149

Mon
    10.2 miles at 8:34, AHR 160
    This run involved a pit stop in mcDonalds and everyone staring at me in my running gear, they probably had a pool to see how long I was in there :D over 10 mins anyway

Tue
    5 miles at 9:19 pace, AHR 148

Fri
    and now for the main event. My apologies to coach in advance and come the 26th I'll be back on the straight and narrow.
    A few months back I set a few goals, a sub 20 for 5k and a sub 35 min for 5 miles. I failed miserably at the first and thought lets have a crack at the latter. I have a 5 mile route that I run alot and there wouldn't be too much car dodging. One minor problem is it's not quick but I still felt like I could do it.
    I put on my racers and off I went, very comfortable first mile in 6:52, the second mile is tough and I consciously slowed down but turns out too much 7:27.
    Mile 3 is quick and should get me back on track 6:53. Mile 4 is a strange one, there's a climb from 3 to 3.5 but this is evened out by a quarter mile of steep downhill but for whatever reason I never seem to run it as quick as I want 7:05. I knew the sub 35 was done at this stage but I was still going to give it a lash and hopefully a sprint at the end will produce a miracle.
    It's a tough last half mile but I was digging deep, form was well and truly gone and the heart rate was over 190 with a couple of hundred meters left I still thought I had a sprint finish in me but like the Donore 5k I was found wanting and stumbled over the 5 mile mark in 35:09 and then proceeded to puke outside my driveway in front of backed up traffic on Ballyboden road :D

Still really happy with it and it's given me the motivational kick in the ass I needed and it's proof that what Larry Brent has me doing is working. For a good chunk of the 5 miles I felt comfortable, I just felt that I lacked an extra gear but this is the base phase and I'm very encouraged.

5 miles at 7:02 pace, AHR 180
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/135993886

My xmas presents came today. I'm always disappointed by what others get me so I took it into my own hands this year.
    Present 1
    Beyond the frame, some amazing shots

Present 2
    Warrior, The amazing story of a war horse

Happy xmas everyone and don't forget to :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

u bought urself a picture of a horse...u must get some crappy presents....happy crimbo ...

ultraman1 wrote: »
    u bought urself a picture of a horse...u must get some crappy presents....happy crimbo ...

:D
    I really do and I'm that person who opens there present and can never hide my disappointment.
    Happy xmas to you and the family too :D

10.25 hilly and windy miles at 8:48 pace, AHR 155
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/136110080

My garmin has started to behave itself of late but today it went, just the once though.
    I did not enjoy the first 2 miles or the last 1 but everything inbetween was a joy and I was surprised how good the legs felt despite yesterdays effort.

5.4 miles at 8:56 pace, AHR 149

Nice run apart from the wind and a belly full of crap. It was great to see so many runners out and about so early in the day.

I havn't run in 5 days as I've had the flu, finally feeling better today but I'm not going to go for a run, muscles are still feeling very tired.
    So I won't be racing tomorrow and will spend the next week just doing recovery paced runs.
    Happy new year all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

I havn't run in 5 days as I've had the flu, finally feeling better today but I'm not going to go for a run, muscles are still feeling very tired.
    So I won't be racing tomorrow and will spend the next week just doing recovery paced runs.
    Happy new year all :D

Good man, I wish I had sense, I'd swap my 3:29 for the ability to train now! :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Whats the story with Raheny? Was going to drop out as I didn't want the shame of losing to you but if you're fecked I might just nab it. :)

• Advertisement

Whats the story with Raheny? Was going to drop out as I didn't want the shame of losing to you but if you're fecked I might just nab it. :)

Still on and a PB in sight and based on your run today I can wait the 5 minutes for you to finish :P

5 miles at 9:56 pace :eek: AHR 147
    Slow and boring but I'll have to get used to it for the next week or so. Legs felt very fresh and new though.
    Feels good to be back and being sick has meant that I've maintained my weight which is a first over the xmas holidays.
    I think I finally feel up to a xmas beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

there also cud be the shame of being chicked by me:D

ultraman1 wrote: »
    there also cud be the shame of being chicked by me:D

:D
    love it.
    Are you still skinny? cause if you're not we could go with the you've just been wobbled :D actually that's the new term for getting beat by a fat dude.

A little over 5 miles today, pace 9:20, AHR 155

I should have tried harder to keep the heart rate down, must get back to early morning running as I'm to vain for middle of the day/loads of people about.

7 stormy miles this evening at 9:07 pace, AHR 153
    Not too far away from 150, I blame the wind and rain.
    Back to 100% for sure and no more slacking which I did for the 2 weeks before getting sick, coach has a very polite way of making you feel bad :D

6.8 miles at 9:10 pace, AHR 151
    New route, garmin went once.

Mixed and matched 2 of my normal routes together to form a really enjoyable loop, one I'll be doing again and again.
    I was going to do 8 but although heart rate was low I just felt flat.

good little route there

good consistent running too

I took yesterday off as I was acking all over from the previous days easy run, sth isn't quite adding up, body felt better today so just an easy 5.
    Still going to get my long run in tomorrow but it'll be real easy which will make a 5 day week and hopefully everything is sorted.

5 miles at 9:05 pace, AHR 153

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I took yesterday off as I was acking all over from the previous days easy run, sth isn't quite adding up, body felt better today so just an easy 5.
    Still going to get my long run in tomorrow but it'll be real easy which will make a 5 day week and hopefully everything is sorted.

5 miles at 9:05 pace, AHR 153

Hey woddle, a few of us are doing 10-15 up at boharnabreena waterworks tomorrow if you're interested. Twill be nice and easy paced.

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    Hey woddle, a few of us are doing 10-15 up at boharnabreena waterworks tomorrow if you're interested. Twill be nice and easy paced.

Cheers for the offer meno, meant to get back to you. I'll pass on tomorrow as I'm going to have a few beers tonight with herself so no idea what time I'll get out tomorrow, can't ait to get back into a routine next week.

Advertisement