Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Everytime I turned the corner it was in my face today, ba5tard of a thing :mad:

Where's your run report?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

menoscemo wrote: »
    Where's your run report?

Keep your eyes peeled for a masked runner at Raheny :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

RayCun wrote: »
    Keep your eyes peeled for a masked runner at Raheny :)

You dressing up as Zorro Ray? :P

Hey, I'm logging all my runs right out here in the open. I have nothing to hide :p

Hey, I'm logging all my runs right out here in the open. I have nothing to hide :p

You're runs lack garmin links. For all we know you could be making it all up :D

• Advertisement

You could be telling lies, remember all those 'I'm old' and 'I'm passed it' posts on your log and then BAM! 19:odd in Rathfarnham.:P

:pac:
    I use Chrome most of the time but have to use Exploder to upload my runs, so I don't do it very often, last week was the last time. (I would also like my official time from yesterday's race to be taken into account, your honour)
    I'm afraid I don't have any spiky HRM recordings for you :p

:pac:
    I use Chrome most of the time but have to use Exploder to upload my runs, so I don't do it very often, last week was the last time. (I would also like my official time from yesterday's race to be taken into account, your honour)
    I'm afraid I don't have any spiky HRM recordings for you :p

I don't know why you need an exploder to upload your runs, but I may know a few boys that can help you ;)
    Your link directed me to my activities (mine not yours).

The internet is protecting you from my awesome :cool:
    What if you view this activity, can you go from there to all my runs? You can see how much I use Garmin Connect...

The internet is protecting you from my awesome :cool:
    What if you view this activity, can you go from there to all my runs? You can see how much I use Garmin Connect...

Nope, you can only log in and check your own.

• Advertisement

Nope, you can only log in and check your own.

Hit 'previous' in top right corner. There is no 'next' as of now. I'm assuming ray hasn't uploaded them yet.

This is where I'm bringing ya'll for an LSR soon, bit of variety and all that.

Sorry about the hijack Woddle :o

This is where I'm bringing ya'll for an LSR soon, bit of variety and all that.

Sorry about the hijack Woddle :o

All I see is a map with an arrow on Lucan :confused:

Nope, same again. When you make the route try hitting the little 'link' symbol to the top left of the map (just beside the printer symbol)

EDit: That's the second post you've deleted from this log today.

All I see is a map with an arrow on Lucan :confused:

You can see Lucan? I can see the bright ribbon of the M50, and a wasteland with a Here Be Dragones sign :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I did the same session as last week 4x1 mile off 2 min recovery. I cut a mile out of the warm up as I was running late and the park shuts at 5pm and I wanted to stop along the way into my parents to get tablets for my thumping headache.
    Woddle wrote: »
    1st rep 6:54, AHR 173
    2nd rep 7:04, AHR 174
    3rd rep 7:09, AHR 174
    4th rep 7:13, AHR 175

Splits
    1st rep 7:07, AHR 173 Garmin went, figures are according to sportstrack
    2nd rep 7:07, AHR 174 Garmin behaved
    3rd rep 7:09, AHR 175 Garmin behaved
    4th rep 6:55, AHR 174 Garmin acted up again and the split is according to sportstrack, I'm a little dubious about this split though. It certainly felt quicker than all the others and I purposely started slower and then kept the heart rate steady, no slowing down in my running compared with the previous 3. In the previous 3 I probably started a little too quick and hit 175 faster than I should have and kind of had to slow down to keep heart rate in the zone. If I was to guess the last split I would say it was closer to 7:03 (I was 3:28 at halfway and the second half is marginally slower)

I then finished off with 2x200 at about 6:30 pace.

8.5 miles in total

That's a good point, actually. There's no point not updating your log if you're going to post all of your runs to the internet. It makes for less successful sandbagging :pac:

5 miles on an out and back course at 9:39 pace, AHR 146

I decided to head out the back roads for a bit of peace and quiet and with no other runners to impress I was able to take it really easy.

Another 5 mile recovery run at 9:13 pace, AHR 145
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/144569116

It was very windy and wet for this but for once I loved it. This was by far my best recovery run to date. Heart rate stayed very low, even on the hills and the legs felt super fresh.

Plan for rest of the week
    Thu - easy 50 mins with 4 x 200m @ 5m race pace, very easy 90s in between
    Fri - easy 30-40)
    Sat - easy 20mins with 4 x 20s strides
    Sun race

Any change in your target for Raheny? Will it be Smackdown Sunday? :)

• Advertisement

Any change in your target for Raheny? Will it be Smackdown Sunday? :)

:D
    No time goals really, don't have a clue where I'm at fitness wise (just know I feel strong) plan is to just go out and run hard, I'm really looking forward to it. I saw your own target time, very achievable.

I was 99% not doing this run due to a busy day (including hours spent fixing the boiler) but after helping out with the kids at training and seeing both ecoli and tunguska getting stuck in I decided to HTFU :D

Just 3.13 miles at 8:12 pace as we wind down, included 4x200ish off 90 secs easy jogging. I was to do the 200s at 5 mile race pace and I concentrated hard on what I thought I can do for 5 miles, turns out the average was 6:40 miles.

4 mile recovery run at 9:40 pace.

I was a little tired during this, probably as a result of a lot of walking today.
    I've a 2 miler around marlay park with Emily in the morning and I'll throw in a few strides in at the end.

Lap of marlay with Emily followed by 4x20 secs, AHR 128

Very enjoyable, hardest part of the run is trying to get her to slow down and at the end of the run we finish up a hill and I could see she had had enough and I told her to stop but she wouldn't so I had to drag her back by her top and when I looked at her I could see the pain etched across her face... gotta love that attitude.

Is emily running Raheny tomorrow too? (the junior race I mean).

Woddle wrote: »
    Very enjoyable, hardest part of the run is trying to get her to slow down and at the end of the run we finish up a hill and I could see she had had enough and I told her to stop but she wouldn't so I had to drag her back by her top and when I looked at her I could see the pain etched across her face... gotta love that attitude.

So, adding to her load was helpful? :D

Is emily running Raheny tomorrow too? (the junior race I mean).

No I thought about it but I'm being selfish and making it all about me and want to keep my focus with no distractions. Her granddad lives beside the park so there all going to have lunch.
    She does have a few indoor races coming up though in Feb 60m sprints and a 500m.

I was so looking forward to this and maybe the fact that I had no idea what kind of shape I'm in helped to take away my usual pre race nerves.

I parked out at my father in laws and this meant a 2 mile warm up. This was then followed by a pre race chat with Racheljev and then it was time to rock.

Larry told me no faster than 6:55 for the first mile, steady for the second and then hold it for 3 and 4 and take the pain in the last. Sounds like a good plan.

I lined up too far back and just to show you how far back, the clock and the stewards were calling times out 30 seconds greater than my watch. This obviously meant passing a lot of people in the first mile but at the same time probably helped me in hitting my first mile target.
    I met a boardsie during this mile. He was in a Bray singlet and looked remarkably like beepbeep, didn't catch your username, sorry.
    Just before I reached the first mile marker I let out a bit of a smile, I felt great and it was obviously at this point that I did know what kind of shape I'm in. It was on.
    6:52

I spent mile 2 with a target of just keeping it steady and keeping to a 180 heart rate, I probably spent too much time glancing at the watch though. I also so a friend just ahead so I sped up and passed him with a alright Stephen and then I picked up the pace so he wouldn't follow :D
    6:45

This is where the race really started for me, I was feeling super and started targeting the groups in front of me and I just kept going, passing quite a few 6:43

We turned on to the coast rd (guessing that's what it's called) it was very narrow here so if you wanted to overtake you had to run through all the puddles, kerb side, so I splashed my way up to the 4 mile marker, hoping to make a bit of time before hitting the small hill at mile 4. I was still over taking runners but not as frequently.
    6:47

Up the hill and bang, this was my flat spot, the previous 4 miles I had felt great but now I was loosing focus and not concentrating. Pace slipped to 7:2sth. When the hill was done I had a quick glance at the watch and realised sub 34 was slipping away, so I started to up it. Trying to bring the lap pace down, 7:15, 7:09, 7:05 and then shlt the finish is only around the corner, left myself with only a 200m sprint. I had my second wind but made a mess of it. Finished like a bullet but still with some in the tank.
    6:47

33:54 (still no PB since 2009 but it's coming)
    AHR 181
    Max 197
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/145597651

This is the best I've raced probably ever. Normally my first mile is my quickest and each thereafter is slower and slower again. I also normally just run against the clock and not other people but by targeting those in front it helped keep my focus (until the last mile of course)
    If I could change one thing today it would have been to go for it with 600m to go, I was so annoyed to leave some time out there but it's a learning curve and I've plenty of positives to take.

It seems like nearly everyone had a good day, so well done boardsies :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

well done, nice start to the year your only going to get faster. Keep doing what Larry tells you.

• Advertisement

shels4ever wrote: »
    well done, nice start to the year your only going to get faster. Keep doing what Larry tells you.

Absolutely
    I think Larry knows me better than I know myself :D

Advertisement