Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I've decided to do my own set of round numbers. I can't hit any of them yet but I guess that's the point.
    I've picked 9 race distances and for each distance I've given three standards.
    This is where the round numbers come in :D the 3 different standards are based on the IAAF scoring tables and the round numbers I picked are 300pts, 450pts and 600 pts.
    For me some if not most will be life long targets rather than a yearly challenge.
    It's also done in a stepping stone type approach, so hopefully when I hit one of the bronze standards I should be able to hit the other bronze based targets before moving on to silver and so on.

|400m Bronze|400m Silver|400m Gold||800m Bronze|800m Silver|800m Gold||1500m/1m Bronze|1500m/1m Silver|1500m/1m Gold|

|62:83|58:75|55:30||2:24|2:15|2:07||4:59/5:22|4:40/5:01|4:23/4:44|

|3k Bronze|3k Silver|3k Gold||5k Bronze|5k Silver|5k Gold||10k Bronze|10k Silver|10k Gold|

|10:48|10:05|9:28||18:31|17:17|16:15||39:53|37:03|34:39|

|10m Bronze|10m Silver|10m Gold||HM Bronze|HM Silver|HM Gold||Marathon Bronze|Marathon Silver|Marathon Gold|

|1:06:17|1:01:31|0:57:30||1:28:25|1:21:59|1:16:34||3:13:56|2:59:06|2:46:35|

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Woddle wrote: »
    I've decided to do my own set of round numbers. I can't hit any of them yet but I guess that's the point.
    This is where the round numbers come in :D the 3 different standards are based on the IAAF scoring tables and the round numbers I picked are 300pts, 450pts and 600 pts.
    For me some if not most will be life long targets rather than a yearly challenge.
    It's also done in a stepping stone type approach, so hopefully when I hit one of the bronze standards I should be able to hit the other bronze based targets before moving on to silver and so on.

|400m Bronze|400m Silver|400m Gold||800m Bronze|800m Silver|800m Gold||1500m/1m Bronze|1500m/1m Silver|1500m/1m Gold|

|3k Bronze|3k Silver|3k Gold||5k Bronze|5k Silver|5k Gold||10k Bronze|10k Silver|10k Gold|

|10m Bronze|10m Silver|10m Gold||HM Bronze|HM Silver|HM Gold||Marathon Bronze|Marathon Silver|Marathon Gold|

YAY, I scrape a silver in the 400m to put me onto the Woddle's Big 10 medal's table. :D;)

04072511 wrote: »
    YAY, I scrape a silver in the 400m to put me onto the Woddle's Big 10 medal's table. :D;)

crap I thought you were 58:85 or sth :D

crap I thought you were 58:85 or sth :D

Not quite. 2 tenths up on that. Am gunning for that shiny gold medal by the end of the year. Will you be in attendance to make the presentation? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Some very impressive times in there Woddle, good luck with them!!

• Advertisement

neilc wrote: »
    Some very impressive times in there Woddle, good luck with them!!

and I can't hit any of them...yet :D

Running for me will hopefully be a lifelong hobby, so why not have some lofty targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

and I can't hit any of them...yet :D

Running for me will hopefully be a lifelong hobby, so why not have some lofty targets.

No bother to ya, couldn't agree more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Too much time on your hands :D

Going for the track bronze over the summer? And what's next?

RayCun wrote: »
    Too much time on your hands :D

Not enough time as I just realised you get a bronze in the 10k :D

Going for the track bronze over the summer? And what's next?
    They might be just out of reach for this term but still hard to know, I think I could get close though.

Mon
    5.4 miles at 7'31 pace, AHR 168
    Started at 7'50 and finished at 6'44 for the last mile, felt great

Tue
    5 miles at 9'18 pace, AHR 146
    Nice recovery run and my first early morning run in some time.

Wed
    5.1 at 7'27 pace, AHR 172
    1/4 mile on, 1/4 mile off. I managed 6'20 pace for the on parts.

Thu
    4.5 miles at 9'29 pace, AHR 145
    Another early morning start but cut short due to needing the toilet.

Fri
    3.7 miles at 9'10 pace, AHR 146
    I headedto marlay to mark out a few routes for Emily and her friends who I'll be doing a bit of aturday work with. Also 2 mins at goal pace.

Sat
    LeCheile 5k was always on the plan but a friend wanted to do the RTE 5 miler so I said I'd do it with him but then he cancelled so I was going to sneak up to Leixlip.
    I met meno beforehand and I said my main goal was not to be chicked by CL, I kind of said it joking but she's like a human Huntball :D
    I was as nervous as ever on the start line but as usual this disappeared the second the race started. I purposely started behing digger and CL in an effort to suss them out as I knew they'd be close to my pace.
    I went by CL after maybe 600m and made sure to pass her with speed and put distance between us. I felt really good at the start. I then spy digger ahead and ease up beside him and again pass him at speed hoping he doesn't follow, it was feeling tougher now but I just kept targeting the runner in front. After the 3k mark I found it harder to attack the groups in front and at 3.5 k Digger goes by me and quite comfortably so, a dose of my own medicine. I struggled up the small climb and was really slowing but still on for sub 20 (just about).
    We soon entered the grass section and it was here that I spotted CL, I tried to surge to keep her away. We've about 400meters to go and we pass a few boardsie spectators who are shouting for both CL and me but I think CL was getting a louder cheer :D She went passed me here and I kind of got boxed in with another girl in front so I had to swing wide and I just though fcuk your legs and went. I didn't look behind so I had no idea where CL was and I was so relieved chuffed to cross the finish line and about a second later CL crosses.
    19'51 for me and I'm fairly happy with it, it a whole second of my seasons best and 2 sub 20s in a row. Time to get stuck in now and embrace the hard work.
    1km-3'53
    2km-3'48
    3km-4'01
    4km-4'12
    5km-3'49
    bit-5 secs

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/174862435

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Well done, keep working on the endurance and you'll iron out that 4th k blip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Good consistent running this week, and your pride survives another race :)

Good consistent running this week, and your pride survives another race :)

This shows how close it was, I managed to just take this guy down by a second and look who's lurking in the back. Thanks to Peter Mooney for the picture.

[IMG][/img]7144815209_d8b44ecb2f_z.jpg The Le Cheile AC 5km Road Race 2012 by Peter Mooney, on Flickr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

This shows how close it was, I managed to just take this guy down by a second and look who's lurking in the back. Thanks to Peter Mooney for the picture.

[IMG][/img]7144815209_d8b44ecb2f_z.jpg The Le Cheile AC 5km Road Race 2012 by Peter Mooney, on Flickr

In fairness it looks like she's laughing at you ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Is CL smiling cos you've only one tooth Woddle? :D;)

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Is CL smiling cos you've only one tooth Woddle? :D;)

Very funny but it's more a case of 100% concentration and not being distracted by a little bit of spit :D
    Well done today btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Very funny but it's more a case of 100% concentration and not being distracted by a little bit of spit :D
    Well done today btw

:D... Cheers, thanks.

5.2 miles at 9'16 pace, AHR 143

My legs were in bits after yesterdays race and I couldn't wait to get into bed. Woke up this morning and my legs were in better form and I had a super recovery run through St Endas and Marlay park.

Mon
    5.3 miles at 9:08 pace, AHR 150 (hilly route)

Tue
    10.15 miles at 8:24 pace, AHR 160
    Plan for this run was to test my endurance. I was to run at 160bpm (200-40 so still an easy enough effort) and see if I can keep the pace steady. All was going well for the first 6 miles, I was averaging 8'15ish but then the pace started to fall apart for the same effort and the last 4 miles were probably run at about 8:40-50 pace, now the second half of the course is harder but not that much harder. I'm glad I did this and I'll make sure from now on to squeeze a long one in no matter what.

Wed
    Rest
    I've managed to get myself back into the routine of early morning running but missed my chance this morning, baby woke early and my wife needed the extra couple of hours kip so I promised myself I'd go later but I didn't. I've only missed one day in the last 13 (not bad for me) so I don't mind too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I'll make sure from now on to squeeze a long one in no matter what.
    ...said the Bishop to the Nun!

Are you doing Sportsworld on Sunday?
    Need a pacemaker/personal draft shelter??

• Advertisement

5.8 miles including 4x600m off a 400m jog recovery

splits
    2'15, 2'09, 2'07, 2'13

I messed around a bit with these, the first one was just for feel and then I tried going out a little quicker over the first 50 meters for the 2nd and 3rd rep after reading advice on Krustys log regarding 800m races. For the last rep I decided to go out a little more relaxed and kick with about 70 meters to go. I enjoyed these and trying sth different.
    I took a long jog recovery before doing 3x20 seconds fast, for these I was trying to throw my knees out and get my foot out from under my ass as quick as possible and for the last one I also managed to get more up on my tippy toes.

I think if the weather is good on Sunday I'll have a good chance of nipping under 33 mins and maybe even by a nice chunk. Last Saturdays race saw me go out a little too hard especially over the fly over so I think with more even splits I can get under Mcmillans prediction, plus I'll have to make sure I stay ahead of Belcarra :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Well done at LeCheile, yourself and Claralara were the last ones out of the group catching up with me, now you've passed the pressure is off, think I'll go to KFC for dinner instead of that run ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Well done, I was running behind you for the first 2 miles before I bailed and added yet another dnf to my career (nicknamed the Cragg
    Hey Woddle, sorry to hear that.
    I saw you just before the start but was expecting you to come past later in the race so was surprised when I didn't see you.
    What's next up for you?
    Updating your time in the Terenure thread...??:D

I got cellulitus last month after the Enniscorthy half and ended up on antibiotics for 10 days, so no running. Got back into it and got two solid weeks in before getting cellulitus again, back on antibiotics but this time it cleared up much quicker and I'm ready to get stuck in again.
    I havn't lost too much speed but my endurance is crap and not just because of cellulitus, I had been fairly lazy aswell.
    So going to target Rathfarnham 5k and get back to sub 20 shape before pushing on again.
    I ran 19'51 back in May so shouldn't take me too long (I hope :D to get back to that and then I'll see where to go from there.

On other news Emily is flying, she's training four days a week now with the club. Her track season is over for now and she had a couple of good performances but she can't wait to get stuck into the XC season and especially the Dublin champs where it'll be a test of endurance (which will suit her) aswell as speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Good to see you back, Mr. UnBoldedName, lets hope you have a bit of fun with the whole thing:D

What's on the horizon? Are you doing Bunclody Tri again? You'd whip me in the run part, I'd whip you on the swim; might be an interesting battle?

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    What's on the horizon? Are you doing Bunclody Tri again? You'd whip me in the run part, I'd whip you on the swim; might be an interesting battle?

Havn't gone swimming since last year but it is paid for so...:D
    I reckon you'd hammer me on the bike aswell, for one I have a piece of crap.
    I'll definitely be there and there's a pretty nice field/playground area for the family aswell.

Now I'm off to read Kurts log to see how much of a handicap he'll give me :D

I havn't lost too much speed but my endurance is crap

That's great news. Means you can get stuck into those 1s, 2s and 4s! :D

Welcome back.

Pisco Sour wrote: »
    That's great news. Means you can get stuck into those 1s, 2s and 4s! :D

Welcome back.

When I said I havn't lost much speed, I don't think there was much to lose :D
    Actually in the second week back I ran a few 100/200s in my spikes and was running high 13 low 14s (standing start and hand timed) for the 100m and low 31s for the 200m

When I said I havn't lost much speed, I don't think there was much to lose :D
    Actually in the second week back I ran a few 100/200s in my spikes and was running high 13 low 14s (standing start and hand timed) for the 100m and low 31s for the 200m

Good natural speed there so over 100m.

• Advertisement

4 miles early this morning. I left the watch at home but my guess would be 8 to 8:30 pace, felt OK.

Advertisement